Jump to content
Nostoll

How does your avatar look today ?

Recommended Posts

56 minutes ago, CurseSmile said:

so this Christmas time, I have decided to do something nice and adopted a newbie lol
(she's a bit camera shy)
p.s if you know any bento heads mesh bodies on sale this holiday let me know

Take a look at the https://community.secondlife.com/forums/topic/424299-free-mesh-bodies-and-heads/  thread - scroll thru towards the end (or start at the end an then go backwards). 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, speaking of over-processed . . . an experiment in Photoshop.

I may not be a very good dancer, but I'm an exuberant one!

PuP-1-Dif-Glow-Pastel.png

The funny thing is that because it is an original digital image we "over-process" it, but in over-processing, you made it look a lot more like a natural, camera-captured *photo*graph (Photo being as defined to be "from light"). By over-doing it, you've actually "pulled it back"!

This is the kind of thing I am talking about with regard to my fascination with what everyone is creating.

I love this!!!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was so taken up with my pink ISON Maven dress, that I also bought it in red, black and white!!!!

Here the red is with Essenz Bonaire heels, the white is with Essenz Veracruz, and the black is with Essenz Aruba.

This dress is one of those which just looks so much better on than in the MP picture!!!!

 

secondlife01.jpg

Secondlife04.jpg

Secondlife07.jpg

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Tatiana, there's often a sort of "70s photograph" feel to your pics that is really distinctive and interesting! Are you using a filter?

There's a few things I do in PS to my photos. Sort of my trademark:) I am glad you find it distinctive and interesting!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Secretary

   Neph keeping an eye on my office whilst I'm busy.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

The funny thing is that because it is an original digital image we "over-process" it, but in over-processing, you made it look a lot more like a natural, camera-captured *photo*graph (Photo being as defined to be "from light"). By over-doing it, you've actually "pulled it back"!

This is the kind of thing I am talking about with regard to my fascination with what everyone is creating.

I love this!!!

Well put! There is often a fine line between just enough and too much post-processing. Though sometimes going way too far is really just right. 

I am glad to see more "constructive criticism" in this thread too. I have learned so much just by looking at people's photos, but it is nice to hear suggestions for making things sparkle more, and more ideas and tricks too!

Here's my latest, as I try to convince this sadly exploited polar bear that I would never wear anything but fake fur!

 

saga-1069.jpg

 

ETA: BTW, one thing I noticed about this one just AFTER I posted is was that I'd like to be able to move my avi around more precisely than the native Firestone tools allow, since I am a little TOO close to the polar bear (talk about bad breath!). What do you all use for moving your avi around while in a pose?

Edited by Sagadin
  • Like 15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Sagadin said:

What do you all use for moving your avi around while in a pose?

If you can res an object the best thing to do is use a poseball.  But that is not always an option. Most of the time it is walking around, trying to get the right camera angle and adjusting my hover height to fake the correct position.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the photo advice going on here now - what did the (almost) most for me was the discovery of the ctrl-0, ctrl-8 and ctrl-9 key combos :)

Snapping closeups in the SL standard view had that typical wide-angle lens effect, and while this might be a desired effect, for me it was mostly not.

Being able to use the ctrl-0 and ctrl-8 to zoom out and in and Alt-⬆️ and Alt-⬇️ to move the camera position back and forth opened a whole new dimension to me - being able to use the camera just like a real camera :)

Let me show you:

fov.thumb.png.8eb8e3b445084bcd5a5b237e385ed55e.png

This is my good friend Cara, headshot taken with 4 different fields-of-view (FOV). The first, the standard SL FOV equals roughly a 35mm camera lens on a 35mm film or fullframe digital camera, not a flattering choice, neither in SL or RL, for a close-up portrait/headshot. Pressing ctrl-0 twice narrows the FOV a bit and you have to take a few steps backwards to get the same framing - this gives you a 50-55 mm equivalent FOV, better - but still not there... Two more presses on the ctrl-0, and we're at a 85-ish mm lens, and now we're getting close :) Might even be a perfect choice - depending on what you're going for, and how far from your target you're standing/what you are trying to frame... Two more presses on the ctrl-0 and 120mm is what we are shooting with now - very nice but perhaps a bit over the top, we are starting to notice a kind of flattening/compressing effect (not quite pug yet but :)... ), so I'll think we'll stop there :)

My current fave for portraits and even half/full body (in RL and SL) is a 105mm, or pressing ctrl-0 five times from the standard view (ctrl-9 takes you back to the standard FOV) -  I start there and might zoom in and out a bit with ctrl-9/8 until I have the distortion/compression/separation as I want it... And then there is the DoF-bit of course, but  that's a completely different story (actually not, but anyway...), so I'll stop here :)

And while I'm at it, can all you head-makers out there (at least Lelutka ;) ) learn from LAQ and give me the option for having two slightly larger than the rest front teeth - that's soooo cute :D - look at her!!!

Edited by Angelina String
Typos...
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Angelina String said:

Being able to use the ctrl-0 and ctrl-8 to zoom out and in and Alt-⬆️ and Alt-⬇️ to move the camera position back and forth opened a whole new dimension to me - being able to use the camera just like a real camera :)

Let me show you:

fov.thumb.png.8eb8e3b445084bcd5a5b237e385ed55e.png

   Personally I prefer to use the view angle slider in the camera controls window - although you can also adjust it inside your DoF tab in the phototools. I'm fairly lazy with it though. For most portraits where I want to include the upper body I just go to .600. Actually I think I use .600 even if I do facials... Pressing Ctrl-0 x6 puts you down to .350 from the default (1.048) - I have -no- idea what exactly the numbers on that slider correspond with though. 

   Testing .350 though, I quite like it (test shot - never mind the hands and arms!). 

Snapshot_019.thumb.png.e3e77c2fe8706f9830df9affd46df152.png

   Scratches chin. "Can't remember when I last shared a raw photo."

  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Orwar said:

- I have -no- idea what exactly the numbers on that slider correspond with though.

Field-of-view measured in radians...

 

7 minutes ago, Clover Jinx said:

I think most of what I've learnt about SL photograpy (how to translate my RL photo knowledge into SL) is from Myra Wildmist - much from this article:

https://kultivatemagazine.com/2016/07/25/sl-photography-simulating-popular-lenses-in-phototools/

My only comment to this article is that she's a bit of the target when she's comparing the standard view in SL with a 50mm - a FOV of 60 degrees is closer to 35mm and thereby the standard SL-view gives you a much more pronounced wide-angle effect than a 50mm would...

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Angelina String said:

Field-of-view measured in radians...

   ... Oooooh. 
   Penny drop moment.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, then :D - I'll give you my high-brow, elitist, purist explanation on why I prefer the ctrl-0/8 method over a slider. I only (well in studio/staged shoots anyways)shoot with prime lenses/fixed focal lengths due to better image quality/wider aperture compared to zoom-lenses. Using a slider to select FOV is kind of zoom'ish to me, I must have the feel that fixed steps in FOV give me, 5 x ctrl-0 gives me the feel of changing from a fixed 35 to a fixed 105 :P

 

42 minutes ago, Orwar said:

For most portraits where I want to include the upper body I just go to .600. Actually I think I use .600 even if I do facials...

Your .6 radian FOV is about a 70mm, and that's quite acceptable in my book for that use - I just do not like to stand so close to the model when shooting - a 105 makes it possible to take a few steps back to get the same framing, models tend to relax a bit more without a big lens up their nose (Not so much a problem in SL though :) )

(And I hope y'all get the joke here - i'm not thaaaaat stuck up :D)

Edited by Angelina String
Edited to pull Orwars leg a bit more :) ...and typos :D
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I used to do a sideline in presiding over SL weddings.

Just sayin' . . .

(Although, as a result, I never got to be a bridesmaid. That would be nice too.)

Years ago I was a partner in Royale Weddings.  We had different themed venues for weddings and receptions.  I kinda got put off of SL weddings when nearly 2/3 of the grooms made a pass at me in IMs while we were there with his bride discussing arrangements although remembering the 3 way lesbian vampire wedding still makes me smile.

Since I now run a City of New Orleans sim I occasionally preside over a wedding at city hall as Justice of the Peace but all my old poses and things are showing their age.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Angelina String said:

Well, then :D - I'll give you my high-brow, elitist, purist explanation on why I prefer the ctrl-0/8 method over a slider

   Wags eyebrows.

   Well, that does make sense. I might implement it. If I remember it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

If you can res an object the best thing to do is use a poseball.  But that is not always an option. Most of the time it is walking around, trying to get the right camera angle and adjusting my hover height to fake the correct position.

For me sometime I can just pose and move the object instead.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Saravendi said:

For me sometime I can just pose and move the object instead.

Oh sure, if it's all yours you can move anything :D

If you can move the object or move a ressed poseball, that is always the easiest way to position.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sagadin said:

Well put! There is often a fine line between just enough and too much post-processing. Though sometimes going way too far is really just right. 

I am glad to see more "constructive criticism" in this thread too. I have learned so much just by looking at people's photos, but it is nice to hear suggestions for making things sparkle more, and more ideas and tricks too!

Here's my latest, as I try to convince this sadly exploited polar bear that I would never wear anything but fake fur!

 

saga-1069.jpg

 

ETA: BTW, one thing I noticed about this one just AFTER I posted is was that I'd like to be able to move my avi around more precisely than the native Firestone tools allow, since I am a little TOO close to the polar bear (talk about bad breath!). What do you all use for moving your avi around while in a pose?

I use anypose, it's a hud that I can use to move my arms, legs, hand, head, etc. I can also rez a pose stand so I can move myself too if needed.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I pull myself back to topic shamefully admitting that I have not changed since yesterday - well I kind of had, but I went to the Angel Manor and the gown from yesterday was absolutely right for that occasion ;)

2059400803_Snapshot_458-Copy(1).thumb.JPG.1a2aa11e08b9f2e73956aae524195ed5.JPG

And, lo and behold, after all that I wrote earlier - I shoot wideangle, wider than standard SL actually... 

  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...