The Home and Garden thread

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

50 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

So ... you bought a little bit of land for more prims and then used more prims to decorate the land?

Sounds like something I would do :)

Jepp!

The tower is 5 LI, the chair inside 3 LI, the rock the tower is placed on is 1 LI. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Anna-Erotica-Control-Tower-5-Prims/8167026

How I love mesh. I got that tower for 10L, and it has a room at the top. The rest is just a shell. I considered getting a sci-fi tower, but I wanted a room on the top.

10 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Only in SL can one get a Control Tower set up in seconds.

I got some abandoned land just for the prims, but I hate to see empty land. So I used a few prims on a tower where I can sit and look out over my property down there.

Of course you can't leave the land bare :)   You were more creative than I would have been, finding a control tower to put there.  I probably just would have put a tree or some grass and shrubs.   The tower looks nice there. 

• Thanks 1

Today I found great and affordable roadside parcel on Route 1, so I moved! 

Snapshot_1.thumb.jpg.b8fbc22aea3b909b3c4d6ddb3cf148ca.jpg

This time I'm using *Funky*Junk* Corvallis Cottage that I got few weeks ago at FLF, I still can't believe this house was only L$50, it's so nice. 

Snapshot_3.thumb.jpg.e670fff5f37770b351428208e6724bb8.jpg

The living room

Snapshot_2.thumb.jpg.6db9074c9495b9247bb7451f77268565.jpg

another view from the living room 

Snapshot_4.thumb.jpg.2607bbb25bfe7f00d3b83e5669aef620.jpg

I didn't know what to do with this large room so I turned it into an indoor pool, the pool it's from Nekka and only 1 prim. 

Snapshot_5.thumb.jpg.a4997fa6bce054aee079e8beff024e6d.jpg

the other side of the room 

Snapshot_6.thumb.jpg.ce15dbf4de8f8ae4d5182b07e6a1eeba.jpg

the bedroom, the balcony has a nice view of the Route 1. 

Snapshot_7.thumb.jpg.262259a604d17be094d6aa49b3e6dcff.jpg

the other side of the bedroom

Snapshot_8.thumb.jpg.129461d833de1975cccf45c1b0906a42.jpg

and my closet ?

• Like 9

Few days ago I moved to Linden Home. OMG, the house huge! House footprint is the parcel size, 512 square meters. It has downstairs and upstairs. Total of 1024 square meters room to decorate with furniture. Some work is already done downstairs, not finished yet - work in progress.

Today I decorated the balcony. Each item in the snapshot is only 1 Li. There are 15 items, so the total land impact is only 15 on the balcony. Yay! :)
The fish tank has many moving fish. Some mesh magic from the creator with only 1 Li.

2018-09-02-LindenHome_Balcony.thumb.jpg.2d74695cddaa3d22913cb433d9c585cc.jpg

(I saw same type house nearby and it was fully furnished downstairs and upstairs including the balcony -  Li used 118, still 57 available.)

• Like 6

Since this is the Home and Garden thread I thought it might be appropriate to ask this here...

My sim is, like a great many, blessed (or cursed, depending on your taste) with a tropical island theme.  I have a large number of palm trees and a lot of jungly brush there.  Today, a friend pointed out that my vegetation is of an older vintage (mostly Heart VR and EE Oh) and was therefore (possibly) contributing to lag on the sim.

I'm willing to go shopping for new landscaping, but would appreciate any advice...who makes low-lag tropicals?  That look nice?

Edited by Lindal Kidd

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Since this is the Home and Garden thread I thought it might be appropriate to ask this here...

My sim is, like a great many, blessed (or cursed, depending on your taste) with a tropical island theme.  I have a large number of palm trees and a lot of jungly brush there.  Today, a friend pointed out that my vegetation is of an older vintage (mostly Heart VR and EE Oh) and was therefore (possibly) contributing to lag on the sim.

I'm willing to go shopping for new landscaping, but would appreciate any advice...who makes low-lag tropicals?  That look nice?

Do they say it's low lag because they are sculpts?

I use Dad palms now. They are pricey and the LI is higher than the old sculpt trees, where it was 2 LI for a whole cluster. Twin trees are 5 LI. I like their Mediterranean trees too.

That's mostly for the look of them. I am not sure if sculpts contribute to lag. It is so much fingerpointing sometimes. I think some (not saying it's the truth, but a feeling I have) are blaming their bad internet or bad graphics on everyone else.

I have plenty of spare prims, so low LI isn't that important.  Low lag's what I'm after.  You are right that there is a lot of fingerpointing when it comes to lag, but almost everyone who visits my sim these days comments on the lag, so it's not just me or my computer or internet.  And I don't think it's just one thing causing it, it's just the sum of all the things.  So fighting it is going to be something of a long, drawn out war.

As said, Dad is nice to look at and mesh. They are made with alpha masking, so it's not alpha issues with other plants or windows. That is nice. The script inside makes the leaves move slowly, I like it, it is for the looks that I have them.

Other palms in mesh is Little Branch, Naima Las Islas and Fanatik, all these look great and have animation that makes their leaves rustle in the wind.

But since I have no idea how they affect lag, it's not easy to say yay or nay. Can you teleport to the stores and see how fast they load? Fly over and look at them from a distance to see how well they keep the shape?

Unscripted and mod palms, I can suggest Landscaping by Felix. 100% mesh and no scripts. I have them, I don't use them because they are static, but maybe that's what you need. I could change their alpha blending to alpha masking, and it still looks good. On some trees, to change from alpha blending makes the trees really ugly, no matter what mask cutoff I try.

Headhunters Island has mesh palms too and they look really well, I saw them inworld.

I hope someone can tell you what's the best of these, because I just buy what looks good.

Time for me to chime in again and present to you... my garden. Which is more gras than anything, I haven'd had any ideas, so I put that together rather quickly, so it doesn't look like an empty wasteland anymore.

1.png.ec15ea39918802f6a7ee5d6219a4ab0c.png2.png.4621134bbae535f0025a07a8d50418b2.png3.png.f2c8d63eb0129d8f2f14216adcd48634.png

The gazebo is 67LI, mainly due to the skulpted folliage I smothered the poor thing with. It's not made to stay. 

Edited by Sukubia Scarmon
  • Like 10

Yes, it is about time! I was getting ready to start a "Has anyone seen Sukubia?" thread. ?

Good to see you're not gone altogether. I like your yard; I especially like your door sentinels. My yard is entirely empty atm as I just dragged my cottage across the street yesterday, but even where it was the yard was under-developed. I'm looking forward to some landscape shopping. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Yes, it is about time! I was getting ready to start a "Has anyone seen Sukubia?" thread. ?

Good to see you're not gone altogether. I like your yard; I especially like your door sentinels. My yard is entirely empty atm as I just dragged my cottage across the street yesterday, but even where it was the yard was under-developed. I'm looking forward to some landscape shopping. 

I'm never gone entirely! 
WoW got a new expansion, and I kind of have an habit of playing new things exessively. *cough*Ineedhelp*cough*

I know, right? I love 'em - Syo showed me the gatcha they're from, so I picked them up, and now they angrily scowl at anyone coming in! :D I prefer the cat cleaning itself while all the others watch, though. 

• Like 4

On 9/2/2018 at 3:09 AM, Pauck said:

Snapshot_4.thumb.jpg.2607bbb25bfe7f00d3b83e5669aef620.jpg

I didn't know what to do with this large room so I turned it into an indoor pool, the pool it's from Nekka and only 1 prim.

That's a very nice pool, modifiable, low LI and low price.
I bought the same and installed it on the second floor in my Linden home. At the other end of the house there was suitable two stories high space where the pool fitted well. The rooms in Linden homes are so high that there is still plenty of headroom downstairs under the pool.
It was a fun project to do. Decorating the whole house with good quality low LI items is fun and rewarding pastime. :)

And here,  testing the new shower which I put there today.
Oopsss... I got my clothes wet...  ?
2018-09-06_Shower-Test.thumb.jpg.24745e2016be1b76c7a71be274f6ca28.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coby Foden said:

I bought the same and installed it on the second floor in my Linden home.

Only in SL could you put a pool on the second floor of the house.

Can you imagine the structural design necessary to do that in a RL house?

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

I bought the same and installed it on the second floor in my Linden home. At the other end of the house there was suitable two stories high space where the pool fitted well. The rooms in Linden homes are so high that there is still plenty of headroom downstairs under the pool.
It was a fun project to do. Decorating the whole house with good quality low LI items is fun and rewarding pastime. :)

And here,  testing the new shower which I put there today.
Oopsss... I got my clothes wet...  ?
2018-09-06_Shower-Test.thumb.jpg.24745e2016be1b76c7a71be274f6ca28.jpg

I really love how you built it in, and is it glass blocks I see there in the floor? Very stylish.

• Thanks 1

I am playing with gacha stuff. Most of what you see here is second hand from the MP.

It's in a small skybox, also a gacha, from Apple Fall.

I forgot to take the plywood cube I had to rez on. Sometimes mesh on mesh fail to rez,and with no copy items, I must relog before I get them back. I debated with myself if I should keep the picture, but replaced it with another one where the cube isn't visible. ?

sunset_067.jpg

sunset_066.jpg

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 10

Since I happened to mention my cottage in this thread recently I thought I'd share a pic now that I've had a chance to work on the yard a bit. I planted my big poplar tree, got the flower beds planted with roses, and made a pretty good start on the side yard: a mini-orchard, a rough stone driveway, and other things. Lots more to do there.

The cottage is (of course) a pre-fab, from Culprit by Eku Zhong. In the left background you can see a large outcrop of the famous Corsican Granite with its startlingly regular striations.

Cottage.png

Edited by Dillon Levenque
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

Since I happened to mention my cottage in this thread recently I thought I'd share a pic now that I've had a chance to work on the yard a bit. I planted my big poplar tree, got the flower beds planted with roses, and made a pretty good start on the side yard: a mini-orchard, a rough stone driveway, and other things. Lots more to do there.

The cottage is (of course) a pre-fab, from Culprit by Eku Zhong. In the left background you can see a large outcrop of the famous Corsican Granite with its startlingly regular striations.

Cottage.png

That chimney needs a fire.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.