Jump to content
Talligurl

The Home and Garden thread

Recommended Posts

I show the previous image again, I have changed the driveway, notice how big and grey it was, replaced the tennis court with flowers, now I show the other side, against the sea.roost_012.jpg.92e087d37873d3dbe48a57f2b68d01df.jpg

It was such a boxy look. Rectangle, rectangle, square, garden wall, a green area that I never used (it was not inviting to be there, it was a mess) and too many stairs up and down and levels.

Now:

night_002.thumb.jpg.99bce6103435f344f1658d667577202b.jpg

Now, infinity pool!

night_017.jpg.d63481436a56996e0c8b53a02fa82a0f.jpg

No more walls.

 

night_015.jpg

night_018.jpg

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I show the previous image again, I have changed the driveway, notice how big and grey it was, replaced the tennis court with flowers, now I show the other side, against the sea.roost_012.jpg.92e087d37873d3dbe48a57f2b68d01df.jpg

It was such a boxy look. Rectangle, rectangle, square, garden wall, a green area that I never used (it was not inviting to be there, it was a mess) and too many stairs up and down and levels.

Now:

night_002.thumb.jpg.99bce6103435f344f1658d667577202b.jpg

Now, infinity pool!

night_017.jpg.d63481436a56996e0c8b53a02fa82a0f.jpg

No more walls.

 

night_015.jpg

night_018.jpg

What? You removed the tennis court? No way!  ? it does look better, more peaceful, more zen... love it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

night_018.jpg

You have a lovely home :D Wonderful!

If I may make a recommendation and gentle suggestion :D as I am oft want to do.

Check out the new modular cliffs from Alex Bader/Skye. Very low prim and incredibly easy to work with.

Snapshot_005s.thumb.png.f8679c7413bf78c0cbdea4014e761c89.png

Snapshot_006s.thumb.png.29d233a179fab59d5a137310ec43d148.png

Snapshot_007s.thumb.png.7390634dfba1dce7992c13ceb0ac916a.png

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5f5edf17e7ad1aaSnapshot_009s.thumb.png.66b8506531e594aa7e77d369add7c849.png

Snapshot_008s.thumb.png.83784ade6f3bb0439d097f6ef66aac60.png

 

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Callum Meriman said:

You have a lovely home :D Wonderful!

If I may make a recommendation and gentle suggestion :D as I am oft want to do.

Check out the new modular cliffs from Alex Bader/Skye. Very low prim and incredibly easy to work with.

Snapshot_005s.thumb.png.f8679c7413bf78c0cbdea4014e761c89.png

Snapshot_006s.thumb.png.29d233a179fab59d5a137310ec43d148.png

Snapshot_007s.thumb.png.7390634dfba1dce7992c13ceb0ac916a.png

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5f5edf17e7ad1aaSnapshot_009s.thumb.png.66b8506531e594aa7e77d369add7c849.png

Snapshot_008s.thumb.png.83784ade6f3bb0439d097f6ef66aac60.png

 

I am curious, I have six large slabs of stone from Fanatik and that's 31 or 30 prim(LI). It is not so much?

With Skye, he has no really large items in the things I bought previosly. So it's either stretch them and the prim count increases much, or use 3-4 pieces to cover 20x20 m?

I bought the Fanatik pack with the lowest prim count I could find. https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Fanatik-Architecture-CLIFF-COVERS-Beach-mesh-sim-building-landscaping-kit-rock-formation-building-prefab/6769455

I really love the look of mesh stones and cliffs. Skye is lovely. I have his two beach packs, but his threes and forests is too heavy in LI, unless he has changed it in his latest releases.

I am out of prims. :( I have less than 50 left and that feels like I must save on LI now.

 

Edited by Marianne Little

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing I did when I had land i Poliahu, was to make large old school prims and spread out a few mesh rocks that was poking out of the fundements here and there. It looked like concrete fundement over natural cliffs. I have many nice textures. The wood pool deck, is a 50 L texture from the MP, materials included  :D.

Maybe I must do that when it's time to decorate for Halloween... and I need LI.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I am curious, I have six large slabs of stone from Fanatik and that's 31 or 30 prim(LI). It is not so much?

this slab is 44 x 23 x 10 and it's 6LI. It cane seen for 319 meters.

5554ae885ffb44d30779e2f0b20819b3.thumb.png.d1eeb9c78c69395c162da25d1904ce3a.png

This platform is 43 x 40 x 11 and 11 LI and can be seen for 380 meters - it can be freely shrunk without raising LI.

2d1391a7964ef8d77085b0921ce98a17.thumb.png.ac28662f59d358c176b704a135be5857.png

They come from his Modular Pack 2, which is platforms and ramps.

When I saw that great infinity pool \o/ I thought the second one here might be an ideal base for it. It could save you some prims?

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

this slab is 44 x 23 x 10 and it's 6LI. It cane seen for 319 meters.

5554ae885ffb44d30779e2f0b20819b3.thumb.png.d1eeb9c78c69395c162da25d1904ce3a.png

This platform is 43 x 40 x 11 and 11 LI and can be seen for 380 meters - it can be freely shrunk without raising LI.

2d1391a7964ef8d77085b0921ce98a17.thumb.png.ac28662f59d358c176b704a135be5857.png

They come from his Modular Pack 2, which is platforms and ramps.

When I saw that great infinity pool \o/ I thought the second one here might be an ideal base for it. It could save you some prims?

 

Some prims, yes. :) The infinity pool has a base of 3 parts from Fanatik, 5 LI each. I could use two of the first ones you show and save 5. All in all, it could be 24 instead of 31.

The Fanatik rock does not go down much when linked. Does Skye rocks do that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Prisqua Newall said:

Are you talking about the Skye stuff?

 

I think so -- what Callum showed. LOD1 is pretty good at 290 triangles, but then going all the way down to 2 triangles at LOD2 is harsh, to say the least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a sad thing happen to me Monday. Not sad as in serious, more like First World Problems in Second Life.

I chatted with my neighbor Sunday, he was very eager about decorating and talked about changing up things. Normal situation. So when I log in Monday and see the land is empty, I think he returned it to start fresh.

I started with the pool changes as I show over. The usual chat from some groups I am a member of. I notice another icon, and that is she who owns the land. My neighbor rented it. He left - for reasons I don't know, but the landowner said he is going through a difficult period. :( I hope he is ok.

Maybe it took 2 hours before I saw the message, but she offered me to buy the land! Oh joy! New fresh prims, plus I can spread out further. I messaged her that if she could please divide it, so would I like to buy 2660 M.

Selling all I had of land other places and go big in one sim.

I already had the moving of the house and all the changes ready in my head, with Halloween and Christmas editions. (Obsessed? Only on Mondays)

But when the landowner lady logged in to split it up, someone bought all the land. She set it for sale, 19 000 L for almost 6000 m land, between road and protected water!

I could cry. I would happily pay over 20 000 L for 2600 m, and that would be cheap. I wish she never said anything, because I was so eager and giddy about it, and then disappointed, and I can't stop thinking about it.

Was it my fault for not replying  soon enough? She is said to have lots of land in other regions, and if she needed money, she could get twice as much, selling the half to me, and still some one else would buy the other part. 19 000 L for almost 6000 m in such an attractive place, is so cheap.

Maybe the new owner will sell to me, but that will not be cheap. I wish she never offered me the land, and why set it to sale and offer it after she set it for sale?

Rant over. Sigh. Land in SL is like an Autumn leaf, flying in the wind.

 

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Raindrop Drinkwater said:

The LODs are pretty horrible on that. O.o

250 meters view distance? One of the choices we have when we buy landscaping stuff is how far away it can be seen, 'cause that's an annoy pop-into-view thing. Making the medium lod on this huge 40x40- rock would have allowed people to see it at 1011 meters at the original size, but at the cost of potentially higher LI.

No sense in having lods for 1000 meters and burning your prims if people won't be looking at them from that distance.

Another brand drop to medium at 136 meters. And I don't think they look very prety at all in their medium incarnation. It's a noticable pop at 1/2 a sim. 

Here is the small one, 6m x 3m, being smaller it drops to medium at 34 meters. It's medium then lasts to 137 meters. I find this distance acceptable for a 1LI rock. Having a low would have allowed it to be seen 250 meters away, but a 3M object that far away is just a few pixels of screen space, so meh.

 

70b1d08efee4060a64af1134529f4217.png

Edited by Callum Meriman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Callum Meriman said:

250 meters view distance? One of the choices we have when we buy landscaping stuff is how far away it can be seen, 'cause that's an annoy pop-into-view thing. Making the medium lod on this huge 40x40- rock would have allowed people to see it at 1011 meters at the original size, but at the cost of potentially higher LI.

No sense in having lods for 1000 meters and burning your prims if people won't be looking at them from that distance.

Another brand drop to medium at 136 meters. And I don't think they look very prety at all in their medium incarnation. It's a noticable pop at 1/2 a sim. 

Here is the small one, 6m x 3m, being smaller it drops to medium at 34 meters. It's medium then lasts to 137 meters. I find this distance acceptable for a 1LI rock. Having a low would have allowed it to be seen 250 meters away, but a 3M object that far away is just a few pixels of screen space, so meh.

 

70b1d08efee4060a64af1134529f4217.png

No, the drop distance is fine, but a good medium LOD would be nice for people who don't have objects at max all the time (or while the objects load). And low/lowest could be a cube of roughly the same size as LOD1, for only a few more triangles. (Unless I'm misunderstanding the numbers above -- I don't use Firestorm, so that's definitely possible!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Raindrop Drinkwater said:

No, the drop distance is fine, but a good medium LOD would be nice for people who don't have objects at max all the time (or while the objects load). And low/lowest could be a cube of roughly the same size as LOD1, for only a few more triangles. (Unless I'm misunderstanding the numbers above -- I don't use Firestorm, so that's definitely possible!)

RenderVolumeLODFactor 2 is the FS default.

To not see the objects at 64 meters you need to be running at RenderVolumeLODFactor 0.125 - At that setting you don't see much of the world anyway.

RenderVolumeLODFactor 0.125:

18c77327997c95283f5ec4ff659b1f15.thumb.png.82bd98daed8d5d6f6e5e04e859792838.png

RenderVolumeLODFactor 2

26c2dff58736f3ad6f4697f98684ffc6-png.jpg.f8f67a18b887780cf990460d1fb67631.jpg

 

Edited by Callum Meriman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is people say: A door close, but a window opens?

The new owner of the land I talked about a few posts over, divide it in 2 x 2048 plots and sell the rest, that is a bit odd in m, to me.

Best of all, his price is fair. Water + road could sell for more. Others could have asked for more, when I sent him an IM.

And the land I sold in another region, cover the price, so even better. :D

So now, move the house, move the furniture, new driveway, rebuild the fence... et cetera. :D

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I consider to set up the Cucumber house from Onsu. Last time I had it rezzed, I was living on a 1/4 Homestead, so I didn't have furniture in all the rooms.

It is a long house, with the new  addition to my land, I have room for it. Not easy to decide. Both houses are beautiful, but will have differnt styles in furniture. The house has no garage, but one of the Roost garages will fit it.

I bought it after I saw a video with Alicia Chenaux:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday and a new round of Fifty Linden Friday! Many home and decor offers... sofas, decor, lamps and whimsical planters.

I've seen sofas like that so often in my childhood, haha. Now they sell as antique furniture, but before, they were thrown out and burnt.

http://seraphimsl.com/2018/08/17/do-you-know-what-time-it-is-its-time-for-fifty-linden-fridays/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Friday and a new round of Fifty Linden Friday! Many home and decor offers... sofas, decor, lamps and whimsical planters.

I've seen sofas like that so often in my childhood, haha. Now they sell as antique furniture, but before, they were thrown out and burnt.

http://seraphimsl.com/2018/08/17/do-you-know-what-time-it-is-its-time-for-fifty-linden-fridays/

 

nothing of interest for me beside the chatterbox for our Sunday sessions lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Clover Jinx said:

Lots of free (hunt prizes) or bargain price decor at the Lovecraft festival. Plastik's FLF is on sale until Monday.

 

 

I grabbed the plant set at Plastik on Friday...love them so much!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only in SL can one get a Control Tower set up in seconds.

I got some abandoned land just for the prims, but I hate to see empty land. So I used a few prims on a tower where I can sit and look out over my property down there.

 

 

sunset_044.png

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So ... you bought a little bit of land for more prims and then used more prims to decorate the land?

Sounds like something I would do :)

 

Edited by Rhonda Huntress
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...