New Shopping HUD - thumbs up or down?

I haven't seen any chatter about the new Seraphim shopping hud. Wondering if folks are using it and what they think.  I have a very full inventory  so not a big shopper these days. Just curious if this is REALLY the "next big thing" in SL :D.  

27 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The only thing I've used it for was for gifts when a merchant sends out a notice that one is available thru the HUD.  I prefer inworld, at the store or event shopping.

Same really.  I like event shopping in that it has the feel of going someplace and fairly well replicates the window shopping at the mall experience.  Or what call wander shipping.  HUD shopping for events is too much like catalog / website shopping.  Sure it gets me the things, but I miss out on the dopamine and endorphins that come from in person retail therapy.  :P 

and maybe that's just me, dunno, but it's what makes my second life brighter at least.

• Like 5

I have yet to meet anyone who would like those media based shopping/event HUDs. And from what I remember majority of weekly/weekend events that were HUD based all pretty much failed/died. Ones that are still around have their HUDs as an option. So it's not a new thing at all, it's just Seraphim's owners beating the dead horse while trying to squeeze into SL's shopping scene again (outlet was their first attempt, and it was dead from day 1).

I wouldn't bother in either case, but thanks to their site promotions and ads spam it seems like most merchants that they managed to get to join that HUD shopping experience are the same(ish) ones they have at their outlets store. And aside of a couple there it's just not where I shop at all. So they can keep their deals, gifts and promos.

• Like 2

I just downloaded it. Seems okay. It loads images fairly quick but I couldn't find a landmark to go to an event or where you get a demo of something in the HUD. Probably just need to play with it a bit more. It likely won't replace my normal visits to places. Teleports are easy to do.

Might be good for events that I can't get into. 

🤤

• Like 1

I've used Seraphim. But seldom use it these days. It was sort of a quick way to see what was on sale and not have to TP into all the shops. I've decided their website is an even faster way to look through the sales.

@Chic Aeon I am curious why you think you have a full inventory?

• Like 1

It's not really a new concept, Humpday Sale used to do that years ago and I really didn't like it. If an event/sale can't provide a web-based shopping gallery (that isn't on fricking Facebook - hard limit!), I'm not touching it.

• Like 1

Won't ever use any shopping HUD.

I browse the sales galleries on seraphim, open map links to things I'm interested in and teleport to them that way. I often wish the pictures on web galleries were bigger, they're often really small.

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 3

I don't understand what problem(s) it's supposed to solve. It would make sense, maybe, if you're in-world, can't teleport, and either

1. desperately want to shop a brand, but can't handle Marketplace, or
  2. want to shop products at an event known to the HUD.

The HUD's product pages do offer demos, so that's a step beyond the website, but the galleries aren't organized in any way I recognize, so scrolling through them is just bewildering. Search works, but event shopping starts with browsing not search. Or maybe they intend to compete head-to-head with Marketplace for product-search shopping, which seems unlikely. And yet, a few merchants have spent tremendous effort to populate brands on this thing, so they must be afraid of missing out on something. I just can't figure out who's buying stuff with this and why.

Technically, it seems about as well made as currently possible. Maybe they're anticipating more feature-full scripted UI, come viewer-side scripting.

This all adds to a puzzle I'm facing with the concept of "Events". Consider the Friday L$50 event vs the L$77 event vs the L$99 event: who cares? more specifically, who cares enough to know which one(s) to shop next week? Not all events are so indistinguishable, some are helpfully male-avatar-only, some have vague themes like "decor" or "seXXXy", but interchangeable "events" proliferate. Maybe organizers impose different terms of participation to filter-out different calibers of merchant, but if so, the effects are mighty subtle to shoppers. Maybe the event logo is a little distinctive, or the name, or the gallery page (or, god forbid, the Facebook page), but there's rarely enough there to hold an impression, and whatever there is, it's overwhelmed by individual creator signifiers on product listings.

Now suppose those "events" are hosted in a HUD. Is anybody going to be able to distinguish one event from another when they lack in-world location or even a distinct webpage address, and instead share the whole HUD apparatus in common to all such events?

(The same semiotic dilution applies to slotting brands in the HUD, but that's already a problem on Marketplace, and it sorta doesn't matter: I don't see brand shopping in the HUD has any advantage at all over Marketplace unless they slash commissions and/or really innovate with unifying in-store, in-HUD, and on-web shopping experiences—which the Lab+CasperVend is uniquely positioned to do, but too hamstrung by supporting and extending the current mess to ever do anything new. It's all so dismal that any day now they'll scatter AI pixie dust over Marketplace in hopes magic ensues.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

@Chic Aeon I am curious why you think you have a full inventory?

Well even though the database has deleted many thousands of items "for me" and "on its own" I pretty much have everything I NEED and favorite things that are gone are GONE.  I do keep a a fairly NEAT inventory at around 70K (this includes all my store stuff and many copies of some things).  This winter I went through all my clothing and accessories and hair (avatar stuff) and deleted about 10K of items  that I knew I would never use --- this after seldom keeping items that I blog other than specialty things. 

I got really tired of looking through the sales ads and seeing the same thing over and over and over. This to blog -- not for personal use.   So now I seldom look at ads and rarely feature event items other than the  work of a handful of non BlogOtex creators that hand deliver me items. Basically I just got bored after well over a decade of events.

If I really NEED something (oh so rarely) I look on the Marketplace or a favorite store or I just make it.  I still feature non-monthly events like Shop and Hop and Fantasy Faire but no longer go info "look what I found at XYZ event posts.  

So my inventory is as full as I need it to be.  

PS. My little remodeled 1943 house and my closets follow those same urges in our corporeal world.  :D

Edited by Chic Aeon
spelling
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well even though the database has deleted many thousands of items "for me" and "on its own" I pretty much have everything I NEED and favorite thing that are gone are GONE.  I do keep a a fairly NEAT inventory at around 70K (this includes all my store stuff and many copies of some things).  This winter I went through all my clothing and accessories and hair (avatar stuff) and deleted about 10K of items  that I knew I would never use --- this after seldom keeping items that I blog other than specialty things. 

I got really tired of looking through the sales ads and seeing the same thing over and over and over. This to blog -- not for personal use.   So now I seldom look at ads and seldom feature event items other than the  work of a handful of non BlogOtex creators that hand deliver me items. Basically I just got bored after well over a decade of events.

If I really NEED something (oh so rarely) I look on the Marketplace or a favorite store or I just make it.  I still feature non-monthly event like Shop and Hop and Fantasy Faire but no longer go info "look what I found at XYZ event posts.  

So my inventory is as full as I need it to be.  

PS. My little remodeled 1943 house and my closets follow those same urges in our corporeal world.  :D

Hopefully, you follow the advised practice of not having a "flat" inventory structure! (So less stuff should be "gone" / loading should go better, etc.)

• Like 1

I know I’m in the minority regarding shopping huds. I like them or at least the idea of them. I just don’t think they’re used properly. I think they should be used to supplement events, not replace them. In other words, say I want to go to top tier event and I can’t get in because the sim is full like for the first couple days. It would be nice to be able to get a hud and shop anyway and not have to use a tp hammer or go to a cam sim and realize I’ve been pushed off the edge while camming. 

its a nice option if I just have to have those chartreuse leggings with the scrunch back today! I’m just sayin. 

But, it doesn’t work that way. It’s usually a second tier event that’s doing the hud, so I really could just go to the event, because it’ wouldn’t have been that crowded or laggy anyway.

Im ok with shopping online in real life, so why wouldn’t I be ok with it in Second life? The only thing is using shopping HUDs in second life is more like shopping on Wish or Temu.

• Thanks 1