Second Life on Threads

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Lewis Luminos said:

I don't have or use many apps on my phone, not because of privacy concerns but because my silly ADHD brain forgets I even have a phone, until I leave the house (which isn't daily, since I work from home).  I check my phone less than once a day, and only when someone calls or texts me, or when I need to call/text them.

That's me in a nutshell. I get messages from family (even my wife) saying "Did you get my message?" and I'm like "I was in another room, it's not like I take my phone everywhere I go." I'll often take it in car with me to go somewhere (mall, sports etc) then leave it locked in the car for 4 hours while doing said activity. Maybe growing up when I did and not having the technology made me this way, or maybe I'm weird, take your pick.

*waves at @Maitimo

49 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

I have joined Mastodon though, and I quite like it. It's slow-paced enough not to be overwhelming, and I like that there's no ads, no obligation ot use my real name, and no selling of my data. There's a LOT of artists, LGBT+ people and pagan people over there, so it seems like I fit right in. 

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

This is just seriously nuts. 90% of the apps I use collect NO data at all. It's why I use them.

And "Other Data"? That's a euphemism for "everything else you can imagine, and some you can't".

You should check out the Google Play version of the app. Scroll down to Data Safety and click See Details. Use the dropdowns to see exactly what's up for collection (should you somehow decide to make it available...somehow) and for what purpose. I will never understand why "credit score" is on that list. Who would even offer up such a thing to a social media app?

Even if I wanted to make an account just for Second Life with purely made up info, I wouldn't feel comfortable installing that thing to my phone.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Hey guys, I'll stalk..I mean follow you on Threads if you tell me your @.

Anyway, there's no Threads "Website" - just apps? That's interesting and weird. 

I understand that "apps are the future" but..jeeze!

Get off my lawn!

I wish some outfit other then Meta made the Twitter killer.  I trust Meta as far I can throw the Transamerica Pyramid in San Francisco.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

For me there's no Facebook or any of their related services, no Twitter, no Masterdon or anything else that resembles an endlessly scrolling feed of junk.  Privacy implications aside, I'm just not interested in any of that.  I feel my life is better without it from what I have read about the effects it can have on people with prolonged use.

My point here though is to clarify my previous brief statement that I'm not singling out Threads in any way which could be fabulous for all I know or care.

I avoid socials like the plague.  I did Discord for a bit, but found it annoying as the publisher keeps up-selling their Nitro crap. Closest is mboards like here and many others I'm on. I watched the Lab Gab replay and they mentioned they don't scoop up data like Fakebook does. About shops, etc in world that might be a different story.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do not trust Zuck with anything. If Elon get too weird, I can quit Twitter, but I am never going to anything Zuckerberg owned. No FB, no Insta.

Greedy, grabby, invading privacy. It is not allowed in EU, I can't sign up if I wanted to do so.

That huge sign-up on the first day is probably fishy.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

That huge sign-up on the first day is probably fishy.

Not sure about that. Wannabe influencers gotta strike while the iron is hot.

But it may all fizzle if there aren't plans for EU compliance. If Zuck doesn't care, somebody will. Twitter's carcass awaits.

• Like 3

Just now, Qie Niangao said:

Not sure about that. Wannabe influencers gotta strike while the iron is hot.

But it may all fizzle if there aren't plans for EU compliance. If Zuck doesn't care, somebody will. Twitter's carcass awaits.

I assume Instagram has the same issues with EU compliance?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I assume Instagram has the same issues with EU compliance?

Not sure. The EU is on Instagram, but I believe Meta is required to stop sending EU user data to the US for processing by October, and Ireland has already fined them $1.2 billion for something or other, so maybe they need to get it together before they can launch new services.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

Not sure. The EU is on Instagram, but I believe Meta is required to stop sending EU user data to the US for processing by October, and Ireland has already fined them $1.2 billion for something or other, so maybe they need to get it together before they can launch new services.

Got it, so it's not a new issue with Meta.

• Like 2

Nope. I got tired of socials that wouldn’t show me what I signed up to see, it burns my time. Since I do a lot of research on widely variable topics, my social media ads are often all over the map. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

What about you? Will you be joining Threads? If so, will you be using it more for Second Life, or FL/RL?

No.

I am happy with Mastodon.   I like seeing everything I followed and not a few things an algorithm chose for me while hiding other stuff.

If I want 200 trackers installed on my phone or computer, I'll log in to Facebook for the privilege.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Never under-estimate an idiot.

He could offer cash money in hand for Linden Lab and really hose it.  "We now allow up 30 minutes a week to go in world, additional time is $3.98 per minute. Welcome to the new SL!"

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Memory issues.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I tried Facebook and I tried Twitter. Both are rubbish IMHO. Algorithms that decide what I'm gonna see or not, data harvesting until goes no more, tons of junk posts with fake news and other baloney.... 
So I canceled both the accounts after a few months and live happily ever after. I don't think that I will set foot in social media again any time soon.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Why would I?

If it's anything like Twitter: to reaffirm your misanthropy! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/6/2023 at 9:42 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Got it, so it's not a new issue with Meta.

*currently has formal GDPR complaints open with instagram*

as in, filed with the UK ICO.

if you're in the UK/EU do NOT underestimate what the GDPR can do for you and your data

also, a uk gym chain - my data deleted

a streaming platform - my data entirely deleted

my local council - SCREAM when i contact them

cold calls - thing of the past when you make a GDPR complaint over them having your contact details that you didn't consent to them having. (that's a BIGGY)

Edited by belindacarson

On 7/6/2023 at 12:22 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

What about you? Will you be joining Threads?

NO.  I left Fakebook 12 years ago and have never regretted it.  I avoid social media.  I use Flickr, Second Life, and WordPress.  I do have Discord for reading purposes as a few of the groups I belong to have closed their  SL chat, and I am seriously considering deleting it altogether as well.  

• Like 2

On 7/6/2023 at 6:22 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

What about you? Will you be joining Threads? 

No. Not me.

If I want to communicate with anyone in Second Life I do so via Second Life or these forums. I doubt somehow that I will be missing out on anything, and luckily I don't suffer with FOMO.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 438 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.