Second Life on Threads

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, PekeNL said:

Lol. Meta.

Meta: "We're going to make a Metaverse!"

..a few months go by..

Meta: "Forget the Metaverse, we're going to make an AI!"

..a few months go by..

Meta: "Forget AI, we're going to make a Twitt..I mean, we're going to make a new Social Platform!"

..Stay Tuned!

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Meta: "We're going to make a Metaverse!"

..a few months go by..

Meta: "Forget the Metaverse, we're going to make an AI!"

..a few months go by..

Meta: "Forget AI, we're going to make a Twitt..I mean, we're going to make a new Social Platform!"

..Stay Tuned!

True enough.

But I think this one is going to succeed. It's building on an existing, and very popular app, and it is filling a very immediate need. Essentially, they are doing to Twitter what they did to Snapchat when they introduced Instagram Stories. I think this is going to fly, and I think it's going to hurt Twitter.

And I still ain't touching it with a barge pole.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

and I think it's going to hurt Twitter

Users were looking for an alternative to Twitter, ever since Elon Musk made a toxic platform many times more toxic.

So from that viewpoint, Threads is filling a gap (caused by the Great Twitter Exodus) and a need (for people who "need something like Twitter").  I thought and hoped Mastodon was going to be that app, but apparently Meta's name recognition, ease of signup (if you've already got Instagram), and Meta's deep pockets will give them an advantage over everyone else.

In other news, if you didn't see the stories today - Twitter is suing Meta for "stealing trade secrets". Supposebly.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Meta's name recognition, ease of signup (if you've already got Instagram), and Meta's deep pockets will give them an advantage over everyone else.

The biggest advantage they have is lying about how many "new signups" they have-quotes because it's a blatant lie. They included existing instagram users in that 10mil+ count. Those aren't all new users-active users-or even users at all. A very large percentage are actually bots and programs not people. The name recognition really won't mean much at all given the disaster the whole metaverse thing became a bit quicker than anticipated by those in the know and higher up. People now expect things coming from meta to not really deliver all that they promise-but they certainly hype them up quite well. Now people will know threads has been hyped up primarily based off a lie. Threads has actually made international news-of course a lot of that is paid for news -but it's still in the news. That means more people will know they literally started their advertising campaign off with an actual lie that can be verified. Starting off on the wrong foot will likely land threads exactly where meta sits-and that's not nearly as profitable or even functional as it could and should be. It might just take a bit for people to realize it. The overly ambiguous terms just makes things worse. Granted no one ever reads them-but that just plays right into the whole-they'll never know-scheme Suckerberg loves so dearly.

He's an oddball that one-and I'll give him credit for getting things as far as he has regardless of how detrimental it's actually been to a lot of people-but I think at some point his chickens will come to roost and very swiftly realize the coop no longer exists-then they'll turn on him. 

Good luck to the people that choose to use it-may the odds be ever in your favor-even though we all know by now they won't be. 

• Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 1:22 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

What about you? Will you be joining Threads?

No. If I can't see what I'm getting into from a desktop web browser, I'm not interested. Threads.net only taking you to a blank page on Firefox? Hahaha no.

BYE_FELICIA.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

No. If I can't see what I'm getting into from a desktop web browser, I'm not interested. Threads.net only taking you to a blank page on Firefox? Hahaha no.

BYE_FELICIA.jpg

Someone at my RL bar showed me a survey on his phone what was from Meta.  It asked about that devices used to access Fakebook and another question asked if he would stay should it go mobile only.  So far I've seen a few websites go mobile --- including a pharmacy's ordering system up here.

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In other news, if you didn't see the stories today - Twitter is suing Meta for "stealing trade secrets". Supposebly.

I read about that, and then wondered what it was that twitter provides that most social network platforms don't.  I remember when it was mostly just people who would take pictures of their food, and share it with others, or short trips and vacations.   It was a platform for people to share almost every aspect of their lives with strangers.  Then,  sometime in the mid teens I saw it as more of a platform where people just argued with one another over just about anything.

I think the only trade secret Twitter has going for it, is a never ending flame war to which I don't think threads, or any other site that even slightly resembles twitter will ever have.  

It is difficult to say though, because the only time I ever really even hear about twitter is when it is shared on other platforms such as SL forums, the news, and usually it is just people are arguing with one another.  I do hear people say it is where they get all of their news, and that it is the first place to hear the latest news, but I don't believe that is a fact - and I don't think it is a trade secret.  I do think it is responsible for creating a lot of news stories, especially on sites like yahoo where it seems a lot of their stories are based upon whatever drama is occurring on social media sites like Twitter.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Someone at my RL bar showed me a survey on his phone what was from Meta.  It asked about that devices used to access Fakebook and another question asked if he would stay should it go mobile only.  So far I've seen a few websites go mobile --- including a pharmacy's ordering system up here.

Did the pharmacy really went exclusively mobile? I believe you, I never doubted your story. For a pharmacy to pull this is ridiculous. Did they assume senior citizens would have grandkids to help them with getting prescriptions on a tiny screen?

10 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Why do they hate old people?

Lol, I doubt it's an age thing. Think of how many people have gaming PCs in addition to phones - many who built them themselves.

I'd never want to fiddle with apps on my phone when I've got this gorgeous beast sitting next to me (that I did not build, because I'm not about that life). Pfft. 

More seriously, I do everything on the PC - work, game, watch movies/YouTube/Twitch, etc. I have to remind myself to throw some time on my phone every few months or else I'll lose the number (again, and again). It never gets used.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Lol, I doubt it's an age thing. Think of how many people have gaming PCs in addition to phones - many who built them themselves.

I'd never want to fiddle with apps on my phone when I've got this gorgeous beast sitting next to me (that I did not build, because I'm not about that life). Pfft. 

More seriously, I do everything on the PC - work, game, watch movies/YouTube/Twitch, etc. I have to remind myself to throw some time on my phone every few months or else I'll lose the number (again, and again). It never gets used.

I was being somewhat flippant about being out of touch and needing bifocals. XD

I, too prefer to do all sort of tasks on a desktop. I don't need to lug a movie or game outside the house. It's hard enough trying to type out a text on a phone, much less navigating around the internets on it.  I find it more comfortable to watch youtube on a 30" monitor at home than straining to see videos on a 4" screen on a bus.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

BYE_FELICIA.jpg

I kind of agree, I never really used Twitter (only a dozen times or so), and rarely go into Mastodon BUT since I use Facebook on both phone and browser, I thought "how bad could Threads be?" Was still mightily disappointed it was "app only".

• Like 1

People are actually using threads?

Twitter destabilized enough to give a ton of other platforms a chance and people went with the worst possible concept “what if Facebook and Twitter merged together?”

It’s mostly ads. Most major posts are advertisements, it’s the worst. I’m so sick of ads.

I went with bluesky and I recommend others do the same, don’t regret deleting my Twitter account for a second, it’s so nice being able to post random crap online without being presented nonsense ads.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Threads = Meta = No

In totally unrelated news:

It was very powerful and still disturbs me to this day. All the more powerful because I worked in Sheffield for the government when it came out and we still had a steel industry. Sheffield has changed such a lot, the UK steel and coal industry has just about gone altogether, those iconic cooling towers featured somewhere in this film are also gone, and a massive shopping centre was built near to there in the late-1980s which people nickname Meadowhell (it's called Meadowhall). 

But yes, Threads is perhaps another reason why I wouldn't touch such an app with a bargepole. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

True enough.

But I think this one is going to succeed. It's building on an existing, and very popular app, and it is filling a very immediate need. Essentially, they are doing to Twitter what they did to Snapchat when they introduced Instagram Stories. I think this is going to fly, and I think it's going to hurt Twitter.

And I still ain't touching it with a barge pole.

"Need" I have a prob with - NeedWant (sorry for defiance ref) Perhaps. As for barge pole I would add 3.048 m / 10 feet and totes agree

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

I was being somewhat flippant about being out of touch and needing bifocals. XD

I, too prefer to do all sort of tasks on a desktop. I don't need to lug a movie or game outside the house. It's hard enough trying to type out a text on a phone, much less navigating around the internets on it.  I find it more comfortable to watch youtube on a 30" monitor at home than straining to see videos on a 4" screen on a bus.

Those are the biggest things for me right there. Typing on a phone is dreadful. Watching movies on a tiny screen is dreadful. If you want me on your social app, put it on PC. No PC support, no me, and that's before getting into the other major issues I have with it.

6 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Good point. Don't they have a Windows App for it? Ridiculous if not.

Nope.

https://about.fb.com/news/2023/07/introducing-threads-new-app-text-sharing/

"What’s Next
We’re rolling out Threads today in more than 100 countries for iOS and Android, and people in those countries can download the app from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store." 

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

Huehuehue do you guys not have phones? So out of touch.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 295 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.