13 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Long ago, I discovered that if I put off housecleaning long enough, my home decorates itself for Halloween. Nothing to put up, nothing to take down.

I thought you were going to say you'd set the tree on fire! :o Or electrocute pigs in blankets...but I see what you mean, will save money on fake cobwebs 😎

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I thought you were going to say you'd set the tree on fire! :o Or electrocute pigs in blankets...but I see what you mean, will save money on fake cobwebs 😎

I've contemplated electrocuting the deer and rabbits that ruin my landscaping. Half the trees I planted last year look like they were burned to the ground. Damned nibblers.

25 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Somewhere I have a photo of the Christmas tree in my great-grandfather's house, about 1924. It had candles on the low branches, and the photo shows my mother and several cousins standing around it with candle snuffers. I remember her telling me that they only lit the candles for a brief time on Christmas Eve, then sung carols. They opened one gift each, then put the candles out and went to bed. I doubt that they kept up that tradition for many more years, because my great-grandfather moved to a smaller home  sometime in the mid-1920s and then died in 1930. It was one of my mother's fondest childhood memories, though.

My (German) family had proper candles on the Christmas tree until at least the mid-sixties... I still have some of the candle holders that clipped onto the tree branches. They also used to put fine strands of angel hair on the tree... Extremely flammable!

I just can't even imagine doing that! Such a hazard...

• Like 2

When I was a child, the tree and decorations typically stayed up until Jan 1.  If we were using a fake tree (most of the time), then it would go up sometimes early Dec if mom was in the mood and no later than Dec 15th.  Real trees were usually put up just 3-4 days before Christmas.

These days, if the kids come home for Christmas, the tree & ornaments stay in the boxes until they get here and help put it up. If the kids are not coming for Christmas, we don't even put the tree up -- thus no holiday decorations at all.  We don't do outdoor decorations or lights anymore, whether the kids are here or not.

For other people's houses:  I don't want to see the outdoor lights any earlier than the day after Thanksgiving, and I would prefer the 2nd or 3rd week of Dec.  Then I want them removed no later than Jan 1.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

In my family it was always the tradition to put up the tree and decorations the weekend after Thanksgiving. They come down the first weekend after New Year's.

Same here! My mom always gripes about how much trouble it is to put up the tree and all the decorations so she insists on having them up as long as possible.

• Like 1

Traditions evolve over time.  I don't think there should be any right or wrong rule about when or whether to decorate for the holidays.  I didn't feel like decorating this year.  So I didn't.   There have been years when I did feel like it and it varied from year to year as to when and for how long I put them up. Next year I might go all out or I might skip it again, but I'm not the least bit concerned about anyone else's time table.

• Like 8

The new trend of taking pictures completely sideways.  WTF?  Tilted wasn't annoying enough?  At least with a RL photo, you can merely turn the picture.  How the hell do you expect anyone to see your asinine sideways picture?  STOP IT!  It's not cool or edgy, just annoying AF!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Yeah, at times it bugs me too Rowan, so I feel you. However if I really like the picture, or just want to see it better with my addled brain, I just save it and then rotate it for a better look. No biggie, at least for me, but I can totally emphasize with what your feeling here about it.

Peace...

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Robin Kiyori said:

My Peeve today is...

..me!  Or rather my seasonal depression. it needs to leave and let my serotonin appear again.

Grumps and  wraps blankets around.

Didn't you get the Boxing day bump?  My depression always lightens by Boxing day.  I think it's because of the relief that Xmas is over and I don't have to pretend to be ok any more. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Didn't you get the Boxing day bump?  My depression always lightens by Boxing day.  I think it's because of the relief that Xmas is over and I don't have to pretend to be ok any more. 

Sadly not, As my birthday is next week so the hell train keeps on chugging. I tend to feel better by the 4th at least.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The next shifting of Boxing Day will happen on 27th December 2032.  It happens only once every eleven years.

This also means that your 2021 calendar will "work" again for 2032, as calendars repeat themselves every eleven years.

Your old 2011 calendar will work for 2022 too! 😜

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Sadly not, As my birthday is next week so the hell train keeps on chugging. I tend to feel better by the 4th at least.

Aww, I feel that. My birthday hits right at the start of my seasonal depression so it's always been hard to act alive, happy, and excited for both that and Christmas. 💀 Just keep chugging, you'll make it out of the tunnel and back into the light!

• Like 1

Just now, LilNosferatu said:
5 hours ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Aww, I feel that. My birthday hits right at the start of my seasonal depression so it's always been hard to act alive, happy, and excited for both that and Christmas. 💀 Just keep chugging, you'll make it out of the tunnel and back into the light!

Happy Upcoming Birthday, Robin!

Happy Belated Birthday, Lil!

...sets you both on fire, using liquid oxygen so the light will be bright enough to stave off seasonal affective disorder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, BjorJlen said:

Yeah, at times it bugs me too Rowan, so I feel you. However if I really like the picture, or just want to see it better with my addled brain, I just save it and then rotate it for a better look. No biggie, at least for me, but I can totally emphasize with what your feeling here about it.

Peace...

I completely skip over pretty much all pictures that are sideways - or even tilted more than a tiny bit. 

Briefly back to the Christmas decorations.  For the last 3 years, my neighbor across the street has had these lights - and we've loved it. 

image.png.bfa979cb4d6725ebd0d716b29d424a13.png

This year they skipped the lights and put out a single snowman decoration in their yard.  My husband and I decided that if they do it again next year, we are making a MEH sign and hanging it around the snowman's neck.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The new trend of taking pictures completely sideways.  WTF?  Tilted wasn't annoying enough?  At least with a RL photo, you can merely turn the picture.  How the hell do you expect anyone to see your asinine sideways picture?  STOP IT!  It's not cool or edgy, just annoying AF!

Sideways.PNG.f940a37b22da50b0d350eceab2fc874d.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

Hey Madelaine, fire is not the answer to everything you know... most things yes, but not everything lol. Oh and my Dad had this saying about birthdays; you may only have one birthday in a year, but you also have 364 NON-Birthdays, so try and celibrate them more. Oh, and he also tended to give out presents on his birthday too, as opposed to just getting them. Great man my Dad...

Hey Little, I LOVE that picture! So perfect for the holidays, and the wintery blues that hit us all from time to time. :) And Scylla, you want to see some innovation? :) Try playing a FPS Game like Saint's Row 4 or Call of Duty while the entire game is UPSIDE DOWN!!! While checking out mod's for some game I can't remember the name of atm, I discovered one that would turn the entire game upside down and challenge you to play it (without cheats or going insane). Now that is what I call innovation, and a cry out to be put into a mental ward lol...

Peace...

P.S: Oh and Marigold, thanks for reminding me about the movie "Rat Race". Twas a funny ass movie, so I now gotta see it today at some point... :) Plus the movie "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" too; mustn't forget about that one either, thanks'... 👍

• Like 1