My daughter, who is on the autism spectrum, tells me that words are hard.  I frequently agree with her although they are not nearly as hard for me as they are for her.

I learn so much from you people from all around the world.  Here in my part of New England pop is what the weasel goes and soda is the cold sweet fizzy beverage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Whilst we're on the topic of Americans using words funny .. Biscuits are hard baked goods. The word comes from medieval French and means 'twice baked' ('bis' = two/twice 'coctus' = cooked/baked), i.e. something that has been baked, then cooled, then baked again (usually at a low temp for a long time) to drive out the moisture to increase the shelf life of the foodstuff. 

What they call 'biscuits' over there looks more like a scone to me. 

But to be fair though, most people these days call biscuits 'kaka' in Sweden. Kaka means cake (but not the kind of cake that is layered; that's a 'tårta'). The proper word, that no one uses (aside from my former bakery teacher), is 'småbröd', which means 'small bread'. 

And I always thought kaka meant poop.  Go figure.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:
1 hour ago, Orwar said:

But to be fair though, most people these days call biscuits 'kaka' in Sweden. Kaka means cake (but not the kind of cake that is layered; that's a 'tårta'). The proper word, that no one uses (aside from my former bakery teacher), is 'småbröd', which means 'small bread'. 

And I always thought kaka meant poop.  Go figure.

Then there's krumkake (pronounced "crumb-kaka", the way I was taught at least).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krumkake

• Like 1

Well, golly. While we are peeving about the peculiarities of English, how about "put" and "take"? We put on our clothes, but we take them off. If you put them off, you're not removing them, you're delaying them. It's good to put on your clothes, but bad to put on your friends. And equally bad, in another way, to put them off.

A boat puts in to a landing, but a plane takes off from a runway. (Oddly enough, they both land.) If you are put out, you are aggravated, but take out is a convenient way to eat dinner. We put out the cat, but we take out the trash. Don't get confused by having to take out the remains of your take out dinner. And for God's sake don't get them reversed, it'll put you in the hospital.

You can put in a remark, if someone gives you an opening, but you have to take in a show.

In the world of stock options, you can sell a put, but you can't buy a take. You buy a call instead.

It's all so confusing, and I'm very put out. I'm going to take it out on whoever put this mess in place. What's your take on it?

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Well, golly. While we are peeving about the peculiarities of English, how about "put" and "take"? We put on our clothes, but we take them off. If you put them off, you're not removing them, you're delaying them. It's good to put on your clothes, but bad to put on your friends. And equally bad, in another way, to put them off.

A boat puts in to a landing, but a plane takes off from a runway. (Oddly enough, they both land.) If you are put out, you are aggravated, but take out is a convenient way to eat dinner. We put out the cat, but we take out the trash. Don't get confused by having to take out the remains of your take out dinner. And for God's sake don't get them reversed, it'll put you in the hospital.

You can put in a remark, if someone gives you an opening, but you have to take in a show.

In the world of stock options, you can sell a put, but you can't buy a take. You buy a call instead.

It's all so confusing, and I'm very put out. I'm going to take it out on whoever put this mess in place. What's your take on it?

It might take me awhile but I'll put some thought into it.

• Like 3

A friend of mine showed me this new hair maker who just introduced their third hair for men. I really liked it and I wanted to buy it. But there were two major problems with it.

1. The Level of Detail was horrible. The average default LoD setting in the latest Firestorm is 2. Most hair looks fine with this default setting. This hair turns into a triangle mess at 6 m distance. It turns into a triangle mess at 9 m distance at LoD set to 3, This is unacceptable. No, I won't set my LoD to 4. That'll grind my computer to a halt even though the specs are far better than average. Also, I make stuff myself, so I keep it at 2 so I can see what my own creations look like for the average person and I don't want to keep switching between LoD settings.

2. The Fatpack version boasts 6 different styles. This literally means that I'm wearing 6 wigs, 5 of which are invisible. Imagine everyone in SL wearing 6 wigs, only one of which in visible. Hair, of all things, the 'primmiest' of all things in SL (Land Impact 120). And them people blame Linden Lab for being 'laggy' (low frame rate).

I really wanted to buy this hair. I'm especially bummed about it 😤😡, because I don't see a lot of hair for men in SL that I like at all. But I won't buy it. That LoD thing being the most important reason. What also saddens me is that lots of people will buy it and thereby encourage this creator just to go on with this. And they're not the only one. Hair styles and bad LoDs are prevalent among many hair brands.

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

8 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

Here in my part of New England pop is what the weasel goes.

Did you know "Pop Goes The Weasel" has nothing to do with animals called weasels?

Its an old English song about a poor London man who is forced to sell his best Sunday clothes to a pawnbroker, to pay for weekday expenses such as food and drink.

The words in the song are not to be taken literally, they are a coded rhyming slang dialect known as Cockney Rhyming Slang. The words in this dialect have deliberate different meanings.

The rhyming slang dialect was created by the lower class Londoners (nicknamed "Cockneys") so that they could communicate with each other in their own coded dialect while simultaneously confusing the police, their informers or non-local outsiders.

It seems the song crossed the Atlantic in the 1800s and was turned into a children's nursery rhyme by Americans obviously unfamiliar with the songs true context and the Cockney Rhyming Slang.

Weasel = Slang for coat, or suit. (weasel & stoat = coat. Weasel & flute = suit)

Pop = Slang, to pawn.

A Monkey = Slang for £500

The Eagle = a north London tavern named "The Eagle".

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I won't put up with this! I can't take it anymore! (Are you George Carlin?)

9 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I shouldn't like to see anyone dead shopping anywhere.

9 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

Unless it's "Dawn of the Dead" 🙂

Last night I began thinking about dead people shopping, and I tried to work out where they'd go.  Perhaps the Corpserative, or Deadenham's?  Sorry, these are Brit jokes. :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Last night I began thinking about dead people shopping, and I tried to work out where they'd go.  Perhaps the Corpserative, or Deadenham's?  Sorry, these are Brit jokes. :) 

Or Sains-BURYs? 😃

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

We also park on driveways and drive on parkways....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Did you know "Pop Goes The Weasel" has nothing to do with animals called weasels?

Its an old English song about a poor London man who is forced to sell his best Sunday clothes to a pawnbroker, to pay for weekday expenses such as food and drink.

The words in the song are not to be taken literally, they are a coded rhyming slang dialect known as Cockney Rhyming Slang. The words in this dialect have deliberate different meanings.

The rhyming slang dialect was created by the lower class Londoners (nicknamed "Cockneys") so that they could communicate with each other in their own coded dialect while simultaneously confusing the police, their informers or non-local outsiders.

It seems the song crossed the Atlantic in the 1800s and was turned into a children's nursery rhyme by Americans obviously unfamiliar with the songs true context and the Cockney Rhyming Slang.

Weasel = Slang for coat, or suit. (weasel & stoat = coat. Weasel & flute = suit)

Pop = Slang, to pawn.

A Monkey = Slang for £500

The Eagle = a north London tavern named "The Eagle".

And all these years I just knew it as song to sing while skipping rope.  Fascinating!

4 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

And all these years I just knew it as song to sing while skipping rope.  Fascinating!

The channel Joolz Guides on YouTube has a bunch of videos on the origins of English idioms and sayings. one of them does include the meaning of "Pop goes the weasel"

Biggest Pet Peeve, they roll out MFA for when you are logged in and need to make changes to your account. Or now will be rolling it out for the viewer. Why can't they do it on the initial login page?  I would feel much safer with that extra layer of protection in place. 

Peeve:  Londoners and tourists who think and insist that "London" is a city. Because it 100% isn't a city., it has no official City Status or Letters Patent from the Queen!

london-borough-map-1.png

There is a tiny one-square mile sized ancient City called London in the very middle of "London", with a population of about 10,000 people, but it isn't the "London" that tourists usually go to.  Instead those tourists go into a seperate region called Greater London (known as "London"), which is made up of 32 boroughs, none of which contains a City called London.

The real City of London is covered in tall office skyscrapers and is home to many of the world's banks and financial institutions. The City of London is also England's smallest county, with it's own Lord Mayor,  own local government and own police force.

Outside of the City called London is a metropolitan region called Greater London with its 32 boroughs and is adminstered by a mayor. In the past, Greater London used to be a county called "London", all of the towns and villages inside it grew up around the original City called London and people began borrowing the name and identity of the City of London. This is how "London" became a thing and why people think the whole place is one joined up big city called "London",. which it isn't.

All the famous "London" tourist landmarks such as Buckingham Palace, Big Ben & Parliament, Downing Street, The Mall, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, Oxford Street etc, they are all located in a city called Westminster, which is also one of Greater London's 32 boroughs. Westminster is the only official city in the Greater London region.

So, when tourists say "I'm in London!" when standing outside Buckingham Palace, well no, you aren't. You're in the city of Westminster, not a city called "London".

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

A friend of mine showed me this new hair maker who just introduced their third hair for men. I really liked it and I wanted to buy it. But there were two major problems with it.

1. The Level of Detail was horrible. The average default LoD setting in the latest Firestorm is 2. Most hair looks fine with this default setting. This hair turns into a triangle mess at 6 m distance. It turns into a triangle mess at 9 m distance at LoD set to 3, This is unacceptable. No, I won't set my LoD to 4. That'll grind my computer to a halt even though the specs are far better than average. Also, I make stuff myself, so I keep it at 2 so I can see what my own creations look like for the average person and I don't want to keep switching between LoD settings.

2. The Fatpack version boasts 6 different styles. This literally means that I'm wearing 6 wigs, 5 of which are invisible. Imagine everyone in SL wearing 6 wigs, only one of which in visible. Hair, of all things, the 'primmiest' of all things in SL (Land Impact 120). And them people blame Linden Lab for being 'laggy' (low frame rate).

I really wanted to buy this hair. I'm especially bummed about it 😤😡, because I don't see a lot of hair for men in SL that I like at all. But I won't buy it. That LoD thing being the most important reason. What also saddens me is that lots of people will buy it and thereby encourage this creator just to go on with this. And they're not the only one. Hair styles and bad LoDs are prevalent among many hair brands.

Why would one need to wear 6 different wigs? Wouldn't it be one wig with different texture options in which parts of it are invisible?

Btw, a modifiable wig will let the users make stray strands that get in one's eyes invisible, as well as changing the color, without the need for texture-change scripts. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Biggest Pet Peeve, they roll out MFA for when you are logged in and need to make changes to your account. Or now will be rolling it out for the viewer. Why can't they do it on the initial login page?  I would feel much safer with that extra layer of protection in place. 

By 'initial login page', are you talking about wanting them to do the MFA when you log into SL on the web to get to your Dashboard -- as opposed to how they currently do it only for some pages?

If so, why would that make you feel safer?  If you opt in, they do have it set to require it for any pages that matter.  What additional pages do you want protected via the MFA?

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

By 'initial login page', are you talking about wanting them to do the MFA when you log into SL on the web to get to your Dashboard -- as opposed to how they currently do it only for some pages?

If so, why would that make you feel safer?  If you opt in, they do have it set to require it for any pages that matter.  What additional pages do you want protected via the MFA?

Yes, I mean MFA when you log in to SL on the Web. I mean that would be the safest route, instead of specific pages.