47 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

But I get the grammar police have a hard time with that.

That is most assuredly an awkward sentence. Are you certain one should speak so colloquially while using the written word?

violet downton abbey.gif

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Definitely better,  though I probably would have just scrolled past it and not commented at all since the way she used it was pretty clear what she meant.  But I get the grammar police have a hard time with that.

Remind me not to correct your grammar!

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Can you believe it, I was thinking about this type of reply instead:

"Hi! By 'persay', do you mean the Latin term 'per se'? I don't mean to tease you but, some people may not get your intended meaning."

Let me know what you think. Still rude?

I almost said something myself about per se.  I've seen it wrong several times just in the past week.  I was corrected recently on using the wrong word in a post.  I didn't feel it was rude in the least.  Also, if I'm unsure of how a word is spelled or the correct usage of a word, I look it up!  Everyone should learn at least one new thing every day, IMO.  Feel free to grammar/spell check me at any time.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today's PEEVE was major.  I actually had to go to my office for a meeting and said meeting started 30 minutes earlier than I normally start work when at home.  So, in order to get myself ready to go outside of my house and be seen by people, and allow 30 minutes for the drive, and be there in time for that super early meeting, I had to get up 2 freakin hours earlier than I typically do.

Thank goodness I will not be required to go back to the office on any sort of regular basis.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

So, in order to get myself ready to go outside of my house and be seen by people

This was a peeve for me before Covid...I sometimes get really bad insomnia, and going into the office after no sleep made me feel like I looked like 💩...never mind just in the office, sometimes I didn't feel like going out on the tube or bus at all, or having to wear shoes...

And I bet your crucial meeting was like the one I had to go into last year - a complete waste of time 9_9

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

And I bet your crucial meeting was like the one I had to go into last year - a complete waste of time

Well, only a partial waste of time.  It was actually multiple meetings that spanned the whole day.  It was our quarterly planning sessions for the Engineering teams.   HOWEVER, I really could have done all of them via web conference.  We have people located in multiple places in the US and Canada, and so the meetings are all done with web conferencing.  Management simply wanted everyone that lived within driving distance of an office to be at the office.  *sigh*

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Peeve: When the only response someone has to a post is to correct grammar or spelling and doesn't see how anyone can see that as anything other than rude. It's the equivalent of standing up and shouting "look how ignorant this person is".  

I've done this. As long as it isn't done in a condescending manner, I don't agree with you. After all, one must make a mistake before it's even possible to correct it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I've done this. As long as it isn't done in a condescending manner, I don't agree with you. After all, one must make a mistake before it's even possible to correct it.

I have a degree of ADHD and as a result overcompensate by putting extra care into my writing, it's not something that comes naturally and I do make and miss mistakes. I proof read my posts here several times, yet some pretty stupid obvious things will just slip though (especially when tired).

Pointing out the flubs isn't helpful, it's just highlighting a blind spot I am all too aware exists and have struggled my entire life to work around. It is absolutely not due to a lack of care, attention or education.

I spent 20 minutes on this. FML.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I tailor documents specifically for my particular students.
I am not sure whether my lifelong "addiction" to spelling correctly is normal or not. (this extends to all
aspects of writing, grammar & comprehension of course).
But I do keep a screenshot folder of all the spelling mistakes appearing in this states education
departments documentation relating specifically to the disciplines I have been involved in. (many).
It is very handy for when senior management try and lord it over you by suggesting you *may have slipped up
somewhere or at some stage during the past 11 years. 
To witness new directors and executive managers having a little "briefing" from middle managers before they approach
for an introduction always brings a wry smile and slightly raised eyebrow to my happy face. 
                                                                                           😇

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Boo boo, Boo Hoo. 8^)
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Today's PEEVE was major.  I actually had to go to my office for a meeting and said meeting started 30 minutes earlier than I normally start work when at home.  So, in order to get myself ready to go outside of my house and be seen by people, and allow 30 minutes for the drive, and be there in time for that super early meeting, I had to get up 2 freakin hours earlier than I typically do.

Thank goodness I will not be required to go back to the office on any sort of regular basis.

I remember going through that!  I worked from home before Covid and there were mandatory once a month meetings in the office and I always hated having to get up earlier on the in-house days.  I'm so glad I retired and don't have to do that anymore.

• Like 3

My niece's  Peeve #430:  After being told she can work from home perm --- she sold her house and moved to another state in a bigger house then the old one and much cheaper.

2 weeks ago she got mad when her boss said they changed their mind and wanted everyone back in the office.  She told them that she is now 3 states away and they said it wasn't their problem and she needed to return stat.  She gave it some thought and decided to retire.

Her boss was shocked as they would take time to replace her, but she said she's not returning since houses where they're at are now super expensive.

• Like 5

Cat is asserting predatorial dominance of the new home. 

First....dead mouse proudly brought in and dropped in front of the telly when I was sprawled out watching it.  Secondly...returning from the bedroom to find feathers all over my newly vacuumed lounge room floor.  Both incidences happened within two hours.  Looked everywhere and could not find any birdy remains anywhere.

She was pretty proud of herself though!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

NEW PEEVE!!!!

So I just logged in after a couple of days off and my skypad neighbours have added an eye sore of a privacy mountain range thingie to hide their silly little log cabin where they shag from my innocent virgin eyes!

AS IF I would wanna see that happening!  Thank goodness for derender and show friends only!!!

Snapshot_004.png

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

NEW PEEVE!!!!

So I just logged in after a couple of days off and my skypad neighbours have added an eye sore of a privacy mountain range thingie to hide their silly little log cabin where they shag from my innocent virgin eyes!

AS IF I would wanna see that happening!  Thank goodness for derender and show friends only!!!

Snapshot_004.png

Area search > sort by name > highlight all the persons stuffs > right click > derender > permanently 

sadly i have experience in this sorta thing

• Thanks 2

On 5/9/2022 at 1:46 PM, Orwar said:

.. Now that you mention it, I suppose that's how I get most of my meals. But the other way around. Or something. But usually it isn't a pasta dish .. Wait, did I ever date any Italians? Ponders for a moment. Oh right, yes. Two even. That I remember, anyway. 

Think I've seen some vampire stuffs (TV? Movies?) where they make sure the "meal" is well-fed to keep up its strength, dontcha know..

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Think I've seen some vampire stuffs (TV? Movies?) where they make sure the "meal" is well-fed to keep up its strength, dontcha know..

It's not an uncommon trope for vampires to keep 'blood dolls' (willing victims who are treated as part of the family/coven), or the more nefarious version where the victim is unwilling (and then often kept weak to keep them from escaping - such as in the case of Jonathan Harker's experience in Transylvania after Dracula set off for England, leaving Harker at the mercy of the count's vampy consorts). 

• Like 2

This isn't much of a peeve, more of a 'makes you think' moment.  Today my grocery delivery driver asked me what I've been up to this week, so I told him church-going and playing Second Life.  He told me he used to play Habbo Hotel, and I thought "You're really young, aren't you?". :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Serendipity?

4 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

First....dead mouse proudly brought in and dropped in front of the telly when I was sprawled out watching it.  Secondly...returning from the bedroom to find feathers all over my newly vacuumed lounge room floor.  Both incidences happened within two hours.  Looked everywhere and could not find any birdy remains anywhere.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:46 AM, Orwar said:

.. Now that you mention it, I suppose that's how I get most of my meals. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

NEW PEEVE!!!!

Snapshot_004.png

There's an in world stream rental outfit that's at the ground level and has huge privacy walls around them. And they're next to a Linden road.

There's also a multi-estate owner that uses butt ugly palm tree privacy walls to divide the parcels.  One time when I rented there she plopped one down and covered part of my building --- I returned it to her. Shortly I moved to the mainland before I decided to retire from owning a club in world.

• Sad 1