Chastity within virtual worlds

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

28 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Also, I was thinking of places like Meta Horizons, Roblox and every other world where sex is suppressed by design. SL is one of the few where it's out in the open and was just wondering why some people don't partake in it.

I don't really care for cats. That doesn't mean I want to find a country where cats are illegal so that I can move there. Just because there is sex in SL, doesn't mean that's all there is, or that you have to partake. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

There is this particular horizontal activity in SL which residents can choose to partake, refrain from, or perhaps seek but are denied. Those who choose do not to participate would be called, or call themselves, chaste, virgins, aces, asexual, or even incels.

How do you view others who have this particular status within SL?

I call them my alts :P

Seriously though, I don't care.  It's not my business.  I can't even imagine why this would matter -- others' intimate lives aren't our business in the physical world, and it's no different in a virtual world.

To address more:

I could have done that but then my thread would have looked like every other thread. Also, I was thinking of places like Meta Horizons, Roblox and every other world where sex is suppressed by design. SL is one of the few where it's out in the open and was just wondering why some people don't partake in it. They'd feel right at home in Horizons I suppose.

As others have said, there is much more to SL than adult activities.  I won't claim to be chaste inworld, but I'm married, and my only partner of any sort in SL is my very RL husband.  I don't think I should go hieing off to Horizons, whatever that is, simply because I'm not marinating in the adult aspect of SL.  My friends are here, my home is here, the majority of my virtual existence is here.  Why in the world would I go to a world with far less avatar customization options, let alone all the other things we enjoy in SL simply because I'm not busy doing the horizontal mambo all the time?

Good grief.  That's just insulting.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
Words wouldn't stop coming.
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

It's starting to feel like people just don't care about others anymore. Are we all so selfish now?

I am totally confused by this response. 

How have you come to the conclusion that people don't care about others any more? 

We care enough not to want to judge other people for having or not having sex in a virtual world (or in a real world come to that). We care enough not to want people to be labelled for having choices.

Are you looking in a mirror and projecting outwards? Are you selfish?

You wanted a discussion? You got a discussion. Perhaps you could (and should) have worded your original post a little better. It did come across as quite labelling and judgemental.

• Like 13

15 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

It's starting to feel like people just don't care about others anymore. Are we all so selfish now?

And how do you come to this conclusion?  I'm genuinely curious, because I see nothing in this thread that suggests that.

Unless it's because you mean we don't have an interest in things that are legitimately no one's business, like other residents' intimate lives or lack thereof?

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

Ah, I always forget.

I usually just ask 'How are you today?', not 'Did you get laid recently?'. How heartless I am!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 13

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

I could have done that but then my thread would have looked like every other thread. Also, I was thinking of places like Meta Horizons, Roblox and every other world where sex is suppressed by design. SL is one of the few where it's out in the open and was just wondering why some people don't partake in it. They'd feel right at home in Horizons I suppose.

You sure do have a judgmental attitude and you couldn't be more wrong.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

They'd feel right at home in Horizons I suppose.

If their primary interests involve avatar creation, fashion design, jewelry design, styling, interior design, decorating, event planning, sailing, flying, bicycling, scuba diving, horseback riding, car racing, wrestling, selling art, skill gaming, surfing, beaches, roleplaying, pet breeding, gardening, farming, fishing, property management, fashion modeling, shopping, or photography, then probably not.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

On 2/15/2022 at 2:17 PM, Bree Giffen said:

Good question actually. I read enough profiles inworld wherein some Residents come across so aggressive about their no-sex status that I've been tempted (but have been too polite to actually ask), how they are enjoying their white knuckled chastity. Others seem much more calm about it, so I accept it and move on to the next after finishing what they have to say in their profile.

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Also, I was thinking of places like Meta Horizons, Roblox and every other world where sex is suppressed by design. SL is one of the few where it's out in the open and was just wondering why some people don't partake in it. They'd feel right at home in Horizons I suppose.

I've wondered the same at times especially in regards to Opensim where there is much of what S/L has in addition to cheap or free land and content. The lack for Opensim however is that there is not the sex clubs and general erotica content like there is here but for those who aren't into the sexualized bits, I would have thought they might be more comfortable over there for that reason instead of putting up with and complaining about it here.

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

No, Bree, that is not what your OP asks. You ask what "we" think of people who don't have sex in SL.

You actually display zero interest in why some prefer not to engage in this activity, and instead focus directly upon judging them.

And here, you do it again:

What an utterly dismissive and insulting thing to say. Again, you clearly don't give a damn about knowing the complex reasons behind the decisions some of us make here. This is about judging, not about understanding.

For the reasons I stated above, I also wonder about the questions Bree asked and I will point out that the asking is not a judgement. A judgement would be if I chalk up aggressive responses to not getting any or enough slex inworld or to wonder if there is a correlation between a high post count posters and the degree of slex frustration in the denying oneself of it. As you point out, there are likely complex reasons why some choose to be celibate inworld and also complex behaviours that come as a result of such a choice.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 3

6 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Well, pixel bumping has never been high on my list. At the start, eventually I tried it with a stranger at the beach. His name was...... oh I don't even remember. A few more came and went, but it always left me feeling underwhelmed. Now it's probably bottom of my list. I prefer decent conversation, and that can be with dancing, or even cuddling, but for me, pixel sex just unravels everything.

And it doesn't bother me whether you chose to do it or not. I'm more concerned about where you shop.

This has been my experience as well and the main reason why I just am not interested in it anymore.  

I have found that once you introduce this activity that is all that they want to do. No longer is it about fun conversation or flirting or getting to know someone. Now they are only logging in or contacting you when they want to have pixel sex and that has become the main topic of conversation.  If you are lucky you might get them to engage in a couple activities that don't include pixel sex before they pounce but once they do you can kiss that goodbye. No longer are they interested in "exploring SL with you" or  having any conversation that doesn't start with "wow babe, you are looking hot tonight".  It's all done with the goal of pixel sex happening before they log out. If they sense they might get pixel sex they will stay on but if they know that's not in the cards that night all of a sudden they have to log out or have something to "do". 

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

On 2/15/2022 at 11:17 AM, Bree Giffen said:

There is this particular horizontal activity in SL which residents can choose to partake, refrain from, or perhaps seek but are denied. Those who choose do not to participate would be called, or call themselves, chaste, virgins, aces, asexual, or even incels.

Well, coming from someone who chooses not to have ERP or horizontal activity in SL I refer to myself as none of those and just someone who doesnt have the need for it in SL...

As for how I refer to someone who doesnt, I dont have any particular label...

• Like 8

I think SLex between consenting adults is nobody's business but the consenting adults.  And I also think that choosing not to engage in SLex is nobody's business but the individual. I cannot fathom why a person would identify as incel in SL though.  Involuntarily celibate in SL?  Why?  Can't find your way to Zindra? 

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Matilda Melune said:

Well, coming from someone who chooses not to have ERP or horizontal activity in SL I refer to myself as none of those and just someone who doesnt have the need for it in SL...

As for how I refer to someone who doesnt, I dont have any particular label...

Sorry, you got Roblox´d, not my words, Brees

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

For the reasons I stated above, I also wonder about the questions Bree asked and I will point out that the asking is not a judgement. A judgement would be if I chalk up aggressive responses to not getting any or enough slex inworld or to wonder if there is a correlation between a high post count posters and the degree of slex frustration in the denying oneself of it. As you point out, there are likely complex reasons why some choose to be celibate inworld and also complex behaviours that come as a result of such a choice.

My issue isn't so much with the subject as with the particular perspective and tone employed. I think a broader question about participation in expressions of sexuality in SL could be interesting, although probably also pointless, as there are likely to be as many different answers as there are people responding.

But Bree starts out by stigmatizing those who do not engage in sex here by excluding them. She doesn't ask why someone like myself doesn't have sex -- she asks everyone else who does what they think of "me" and others like me:

On 2/15/2022 at 2:17 PM, Bree Giffen said:

The perspective here is clear: "normal" people who have sex ("you") are being asked to describe their attitude towards those ("others") who do not. And those others are all grouped together into a miscellaneous and slightly "odd" grab bag of perspectives, most of which carry somewhat negative connotations.

And why would Bree deliberately and ostentatiously strike out "choose"? To suggest that it is not a "choice," but rather that we're all too sad and pathetic to "get any"?

The overall perspective is clear: "Hey, normal people like me! Whaddya think about those slightly weird and/or pathetic people who don't enjoy sex here?"

Add to that her suggestion that we would be "better suited" to Horizons, because of course we must all be ANTI-sex, and don't want to engage in a virtual world where others are enjoying it, and you have an instance of pretty obnoxious judgments being levelled against those who are "different" because they don't do sex:

6 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Also, I was thinking of places like Meta Horizons, Roblox and every other world where sex is suppressed by design. SL is one of the few where it's out in the open and was just wondering why some people don't partake in it. They'd feel right at home in Horizons I suppose.

When you are stigmatizing and generalizing about the behaviour that you are asking about from the outset, you are also excluding and being condescending.

Ask the broader question if you want. But don't commence from the position that "we" should judge "others" who are not like "us."

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

For as long as I've known Bree, which is as long as I've been on the forums, including the old RA, I've really rather liked her. She's oddball, and comes at things from a weird perspective that is sometimes interesting, and often really amusing.

But I'm with Maddy on this one. I'm not sure why, but the past month or so has seen her become a bit trollish and a little mean-spirited in the threads she's started. And it's upsetting, actually. Like Maddy, I want the Old Bree back, please.

ETA: I've removed the original quoted post, which I misread, and was not intended to apply to Bree.

Oops!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.