Meta stock down 23%

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I keel scratching my head about this. I wasn't around in the dark ages of SL, so I missed all that weird speculator hype and stuff like actual university sims. But I've read about it, and that seems to be what all this virtual worlds/Meta thing is about. No one seems to remember that this didn't work in SL because that kind of corporate content has no value here. Everyone thinks Meta and all of these other things are going to be the next big thing, but openly ignore all the next big things that already did this and didn't become the next big thing. It's just hype and speculation without an ounce of substance.

On 2/6/2022 at 5:44 AM, Robberinthemuseum said:

Meta stock down 23%

Is anyone here into the stock market? Meta stock is down also Matterport (3d imagine company). How do you guys think this will impact SL if at all? 

Colour me completely unsurprised.

If one thing has been learned from SL, it's that users do not like to be monetised.  There were many attempts by RL companies to establish a base in SL to reach potential customers and every single one of them failed.  Metaverse is going to be no different, and it will fare worse because (a) no user created content, (b) no legs (c) no sex.

• Like 5

SL doesn't have enough users for it to attract companies that will advertise in it, they already do that all over the web, on Google, FB, Youtube, Twitch, your phone etc.. where hundreds of millions of users will see them.

When it comes to metaverse's Hyundai for example is now using Roblox (that was expected cause Roblox is very popular )

There are five themed parks hosted in Hyundai Mobility Adventure: 

· Festival Square: a central base camp for players to return to from their explorations, where they can take part in festivals, celebrations and vehicle displays, while interacting with other players.
· Future Mobility City: an ultramodern metropolis where players can experience Hyundai Motor’s future mobility solutions and hydrogen fuel-cell technology
· Eco-forest (powered by IONIQ): a recreational sphere offering minimalist and slow living enabled by the coexistence of eco-friendly mobility technologies and fairy-tale fantasies 
· Racing Park (powered by N): a racing theme park where players can experience the latest advanced racing technologies and motorsports available via Hyundai Motor’s high-performance N brand cars

· Smart Tech Campus: a future technology research centre where users can replicate the experiences of engineers and designers in a sophisticated setting

https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/company/newsroom/hyundai-motor-vitalizes-future-mobility-in-roblox-metaverse-space%2C-hyundai-mobility-adventure-0000016713

newsroom-210901-trailer-image-1120x745.j

Edited by Nick0678

5 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

SL doesn't have enough users for it to attract companies that will advertise in it, they already do that all over the web, on Google, FB, Youtube, Twitch, your phone etc.. where hundreds of millions of users will see them.

When it comes to metaverse's Hyundai for example is now using Roblox (that was expected cause Roblox is very popular )

https://www.hyundai.com/worldwide/en/company/newsroom/hyundai-motor-vitalizes-future-mobility-in-roblox-metaverse-space%2C-hyundai-mobility-adventure-0000016713

Marketing to children has always been a lucrative strategy.

22 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

My very first original facebook account was when I had an edu email address, it was not a public offering, it should of stayed that way,  they will never get called mayta (meta).  ever.

It's been all downhill since they let everybody and their Faux News watching grandpa join.

• Like 1

On 2/6/2022 at 12:58 PM, Kyle Blackwood said:

The world at large is waking up to the fact that you are the product if you use any of Metas platforms - some are not so keen on having every aspect of their digital life (and geotracking) recorded, digested and then sold by Meta.

Not really the cause here but probably an effect. Meta has threatened again to withdraw Facebook and Instagram from Europe unless they are allowed to bypass EU's strict privacy protection laws. Nothing's going to come out of it of course. It's an idle threat and even if EU did take it seriously, their decision making processes aren't exactly built for speed so it would take years for anything to change. Meta ought to know this and the fact that they are even trying, may suggest that their financial situation is even more dire than it seems on the surface.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

Not really the cause here but probably an effect. Meta has threatened again to withdraw Facebook and Instagram from Europe unless they are allowed to bypass EU's strict privacy protection laws. Nothing's going to come out of it of course. It's an idle threat and even if EU did take it seriously, their decision making processes aren't exactly built for speed so it would take years for anything to change. Meta ought to know this and the fact that they are even trying, may suggest that their financial situation is even more dire than it seems on the surface.

They don't want to play by the rules.  The monetization is to big a factor for them. I also saw a story the Freakbook wants to gets it's hands in more thing to make it harder to avoid them in everyday life.  Some newspapers already require FB log-in to read most stuff.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Marketing to children has always been a lucrative strategy.

Exactly, money makes the world go round. I am sure Linden Lab shareholders would also like those $$$ from advertising but unfortunately with only a few thousands of users/day it's impossible, so they just make whatever profit only by providing inworld services to users.  It is what it is.

3 hours ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

At least they’re Hyundai not Bugatti 🙋‍♀️🏎

Bugatti is owned by Volkswagen Group, it will take a while for any brand of that Group to jump in, regardless if its Seat, Skoda, Lamborghini or Bughatti..
(*Europeans think a bit differently)

Saw an article yesterday on some Right To Repair issues. It turns out that recent model cars collect a ton of data about you, all the time, ostensibly to get data on driving habits, intermittent faults, wear and tear, and so on, to assist authorized mechanics. Problem is, all this data that is being constantly transmitted to the manufacturers' data bases, is associated with your vehicle identification number (VIN) and therefore with you.

The Right To Repair advocates (with whom I agree, generally speaking) want access to this data, just like mechanics at dealerships. But that would potentially create an enormous privacy issue.

To my mind, the solution is to stop making such incredibly computerized and connected cars. We drove for decades without those features.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Saw an article yesterday on some Right To Repair issues. It turns out that recent model cars collect a ton of data about you, all the time, ostensibly to get data on driving habits, intermittent faults, wear and tear, and so on, to assist authorized mechanics. Problem is, all this data that is being constantly transmitted to the manufacturers' data bases, is associated with your vehicle identification number (VIN) and therefore with you.

The Right To Repair advocates (with whom I agree, generally speaking) want access to this data, just like mechanics at dealerships. But that would potentially create an enormous privacy issue.

To my mind, the solution is to stop making such incredibly computerized and connected cars. We drove for decades without those features.

Why I still drive an 80s vehicle --- no computer type stuff in it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Bugatti is owned by Volkswagen Group, it will take a while for any brand of that Group to jump in, regardless if its Seat, Skoda, Lamborghini or Bughatti..
(*Europeans think a bit differently)

It was just a lighthearted comment on the fact that it’s Hyundai not an expensive car brand marketing to kids.

I am in Ireland so I am well aware of how European brands think, which isn’t very different from how the others do either, in terms of marketing. We’re probably not going to see Jeep or VW on Roblox soon, they go for instagram or TikTok instead. They know who holds the purse, I suppose.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Krystina Ferraris said:

It was just a lighthearted comment on the fact that it’s Hyundai not an expensive car brand marketing to kids.

I am in Ireland so I am well aware of how European brands think, which isn’t very different from how the others do either, in terms of marketing. We’re probably not going to see Jeep or VW on Roblox soon, they go for instagram or TikTok instead. They know who holds the purse, I suppose.

BMW's JOYTOPIA looked cool.

Used the voice of Christoph Waltz as personal virtual assistant (fox) and had  exclusive content from Coldplay.

https://www.bmw.com/en/events/iaa2021/coldplay-bmw.html

Edited by Nick0678

11 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

BMW's JOYTOPIA looked cool.

Used the voice of Christoph Waltz as personal virtual assistant (fox) and had  exclusive content from Coldplay.

https://www.bmw.com/en/events/iaa2021/coldplay-bmw.html

There are a ton of features in that world that just can't be duplicated in SL.

(Unless LL wants to offer better toolsets/script features.)

I don't understand why people migrated in droves from MySpace to Facebook to begin with, I remember my family pleading me to move to Facebook and I found it to be such a bland site with no options to customize it.  I did like farmville though, although it still wasn't worth it.  I still can't stand Facebook, but unfortunately my family insist on using it, so I am left with little choice but to keep messenger active.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

I don't understand why people migrated in droves from MySpace to Facebook to begin with, I remember my family pleading me to move to Facebook and I found it to be such a bland site with no options to customize it.  I did like farmville though, although it still wasn't worth it.  I still can't stand Facebook, but unfortunately my family insist on using it, so I am left with little choice but to keep messenger active.

Agree with all of this 👍

• Like 1

On 2/7/2022 at 6:25 AM, Nick0678 said:

If you really want to think about which stocks will go up ....   just look at what Pelosi has invested into for a guide... side eye/politicians do very well in the stock market.
She purchased Roblox....(and offloaded her Meta position way before the dip).  Not financial advice for clarity :)

Edited by Charlotte Bartlett

Many did it for business reasons, i know i did because i was forced to have an account when i worked for specific companies but the majority just followed the crowd without realizing or caring about the most basic rule that "if you don't pay for a product then you are the product".

• Like 2

I don't understand why people migrated in droves from MySpace to Facebook to begin with

You can blame that on Linden Lab if you like. In 2007 LL fired Cory Ondrejka, their CTO and the chief developer behind Second Life. It's not clear why but from what I've been told he wanted to focus on fixing bug and making the core software more stable whilst the owner wanted to focus on new "shinies" to make money fast. (Rosedale, Downe and Call left only months later, possibly for similar reasons, leaving poor Meadows as the only one left of the major early Lindens but that another story.)

Anyways, Ondrejka was picked up by Facebook where he proposed and developed a mobile phone app for the platform. That app was what gave FB the edge over the other aspiring social platforms and its popularity skyrocketed almost immediately after it was launched, leaving its competitors in the dust. So, if the LL owners back then hadn't been so greedy, we wouldn't have had Facebook today and Second Life would probably have been much stronger.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 812 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.