Meta stock down 23%

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Tilia was formed by the company that owns Linden Lab,  they were not acquired by them.  Also SL has been around almost 20 years and meta losing stock will do nothing to SL.

I read that Tilia acquired them! Yeah I think there was a lot of missed opportunity there. I can't put my finger on it though. I just got back into SL after a hiatus and it's just so beautiful. I feel like there's so much potential for something.....

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

It would be nice if Second Life received more members due to meta doing horribly, but I can not think of a reason that it would boost our numbers significantly.  I do think that if it were to fail, it would have less of a beneficial impact on Second Life, simply because there would be less people looking for an alternative.  If meta were to be successful though, I don't think we would experience many people leaving SL to join meta.  Of course, this is my own bias and opinion, I haven't a clue what kind of impact it will or will not have.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I just got back into SL after a hiatus and it's just so beautiful. I feel like there's so much potential for something.....

Something tells me you never really left.

I wonder if it's due to the nature of these topics being exactly like that from a certain other someone. 🤔

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

56 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I feel like there's so much potential for something.....

keep feeling ..but discussions go a lot better with factual actual subjects.
The whole world knows for a week what happened and you present it as news now...and with quite a few mistakes in just one and a half line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I read that Tilia acquired them! Yeah I think there was a lot of missed opportunity there. I can't put my finger on it though. I just got back into SL after a hiatus and it's just so beautiful. I feel like there's so much potential for something.....

They formed tilia and spun it off as it's own company.   They were bought by an investment firm. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

I read that Tilia acquired them!

As Bigmore said, Tilia was created as a subdivision of Linden Lab and it's LL that owns Tilia, not the other way round. The name is a hint here: TIlia is simply the Latin name for Linden.

• Like 4

Meta's stocks are down because:

1. Facebook is facing lawsuits, which may affect their ads, which has investors less confident in it. The lawsuit may cause them to be less able to collect information which will affect targetted advertising, which means less accurate ads, thus advertisers may not be as interested(because why advertise to someone who has no interest in a specific thing?). This has already cost Facebook around $30 billion in stocks.
  2. Facebook's "metaverse" promised to be state of the art, but it isn't even as good as Second Life, yet alone Active Worlds(a different metaverse). There was even more advanced than Facebook's metaverse. If I had to put a pin point on it, I'd say facebook's metaverse is more on par with Worlds.com, but worlds.com has the excuse that they've never updated their client software in 20+ years, facebook's is brand new. You can't even dance in facebook's metaverse.
  3. No one likes Mark Cuckerberg anyway.

It has nothing to do with Second Life or metaverses, thus will not affect Second Life.

• Like 9

The world at large is waking up to the fact that you are the product if you use any of Metas platforms - some are not so keen on having every aspect of their digital life (and geotracking) recorded, digested and then sold by Meta. Also, their stock price was probably inflated anyway due to the Metaverse hype - bubbles burst but not all bursts destroy.

Second Life was around before Facebook. It'll still be around when Facebook is gone.

@ Chaser Zaks: Active Worlds!!! Iremember when I joined SL back in 2005, one of my neighbours was a migrant from Active Worlds. I took a look around AW and was surprised to find something that had been around since the days of Windows 3.11. I don't think they updated the AW client in a long time.

Edited by Alazarin Mondrian
spelling.... my typing sucks

5 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

1. Facebook is facing lawsuits, which may affect their ads, which has investors less confident in it. The lawsuit may cause them to be less able to collect information which will affect targetted advertising, which means less accurate ads, thus advertisers may not be as interested(because why advertise to someone who has no interest in a specific thing?). This has already cost Facebook around $30 billion in stocks.
  2. Facebook's "metaverse" promised to be state of the art, but it isn't even as good as Second Life, yet alone Active Worlds(a different metaverse). There was even more advanced than Facebook's metaverse. If I had to put a pin point on it, I'd say facebook's metaverse is more on par with Worlds.com, but worlds.com has the excuse that they've never updated their client software in 20+ years, facebook's is brand new. You can't even dance in facebook's metaverse.

It has nothing to do with Second Life or metaverses, thus will not affect Second Life.

You forgot to add that Facebook's user base actually declined for the first time ever. (I laughed when I read this, because I actually was in front of the crowd for once. I deleted my FB account over a year ago.)

3 hours ago, Alazarin Mondrian said:

Second Life was around before Facebook. It'll still be around when Facebook is gone.

@ Chaser Zaks: Active Worlds!!! Iremember when I joined SL back in 2005, one of my neighbours was a migrant from Active Worlds. I took a look around AW and was surprised to find something that had been around since the days of Windows 3.11. I don't think they updated the AW client in a long time.

image.thumb.png.365f209603891539b3ad3ed5f3e42a07.png

59 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You forgot to add that Facebook's user base actually declined for the first time ever. (I laughed when I read this, because I actually was in front of the crowd for once. I deleted my FB account over a year ago.)

I deleted my RL account in March 2018, but kept the SL one just so I can sometimes enter the merchant contests for fatpacks of new stuff.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:
5 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

Lindal, as you note, for the first time Meta has lost users, primarily to Tiktok. In the world of networking, Metcalf, Beckstrom and Reed have shown the importance of network size. If you lose "nodes" to a competitor, that's bad news.

The specter of lawsuits (which take considerable time to litigate) crimping Meta's advertising dreams isn't the issue, it's the fall 2021 rollout of Apple's IOS privacy tools crimping Meta's current revenue.

Meta's metaverse spending isn't helping the bottom line, but there's still significant optimism about future potential. We who remember the SL hype of 2008 will be more skeptical than most, but the hype is still strong and Facebook has made big future bets before, like pivoting to mobile in 2012, (and discovering a decade later that Apple owns that sandbox in the US, oops!). Ultimately, I don't think Meta's metaverse pivot will work as well as their pivot to mobile (I still think Oculus was a boondoggle), but I don't see a sudden market capitulation on that front today. There are perhaps two big wild cards on the horizon, actual user uptake of whatever meta finally rolls out, and whatever Apple reveals in the next year or two.

Zuckerberg's popularity has been falling for years, most recently due to Facebook's handling of misinformation. What's new is the first ever announcement of declining user base and an 8% ($10B/yr) revenue headwind from Apple's privacy updates. Profits over personality.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

No one likes Mark Cuckerberg anyway.

I think Zuckerberg is absolutely awful in nearly every way, but can we please avoid Incel-talk here? It's just gross, and it moreover trivializes the issues by focusing on an utterly irrelevant (and, so far as I know, completely fallacious) element of his personal life.

5 hours ago, Kyle Blackwood said:

The world at large is waking up to the fact that you are the product if you use any of Metas platforms - some are not so keen on having every aspect of their digital life (and geotracking) recorded, digested and then sold by Meta.

I wish I could believe that was the case but, honestly, I highly doubt this is the issue.

What's happening, I think, is that Facebook is old and stale, and does not provide the kind of experience that younger users want.

It's possible that there has been some really minimal loss due to the whistleblower leaks that demonstrated how truly toxic the company and platform is, but, sadly, I think the vast majority of people are quite happy to sell their data (and by extension themselves) to whoever gives them the kind of online experience that resonates with their own social world. TikTok employs its user data to produce targeted ads too, and there are no signs that anyone is fleeing that platform.

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
6 hours ago, Chaser Zaks said:

No one likes Mark Cuckerberg anyway.

I think Zuckerberg is absolutely awful in nearly every way, but can we please avoid Incel-talk here? It's just gross, and it moreover trivializes the issues by focusing on an utterly irrelevant (and, so far as I know, completely fallacious) element of his personal life.

I have generally understood such speech to reveal more about the speaker than the subject.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Will it impact Second Life - no.   Many SL brands do use Facebook (we do).  The only way I could ever see this impacting was if the Facebook and Instagram stores could be integrated with the SL Marketplace, but that's not on the cards (ever I suspect) so the share price or even demise of Facebook really wouldn't be an issue for SL.  
Tilia misconception your original post contained has already been corrected.

Personally the Meta drop was bound to happen particularly with Apple's privacy changes.  Those who (really) know the market shorted it from the moment those changes started to come through.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 797 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.