Gender in SL repost from reddit

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So for me, SL is total freedom and fantasy. When I'm in SL, I love meeting people and hearing about what makes them tick. What their hobbies, passions etc are. The only part of their RL I'm interested in is maybe where they live, food, hobbies, interests etc. I think maybe I'm a bit weird because when I asked about voice chat, some people said they needed to  confirm gender through voice chat and I just don't see the point. I come to SL to do things and experience Sims I just can't in RL. I assume everyone's AV is not an accurate depiction of who they are in RL but rather an aspect of their personality they are exploring or a piece of art. I love the variety of AVs. Am I the only one who doesn't really care about how much the avatar aligns with the person's RL identity? I mean, I only interact with them in SL anyway. SL is very separate for me. Maybe I compartmentalize too much 🤷‍♀️. I heard the word "catfish" thrown about. So do you think the avatar should somewhat be in alignment with RL? Do you think it's wrong for people in SL to fabricate an online identity and then have a flirty relationship with other AVs? Do you feel that people use SL trick others into romantic relationships? Do you think they are just having fun and exploring their sexuality or other fantasies in this way? For me, I have found covid lockdowns really tough and it really helps to travel and explore in SL. I'm not into anything too heavy in SL though. But I do like flirting. I don't care what gender the person is in real life as long as the AV has the right gender for me because I will never meet them in RL 😄 

What do you think? 🤔 I never thought about it until I read the comments on the voice chat thread. I have no problem with middle aged men pretending to be young women. ^^

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The reddit post ... https://www.reddit.com/r/secondlife/comments/skuvsa/not_interested_in_rl_gender_or_looks/

I will add .. starting a common troll topic and cross posting it in as many places as you can, tends to make people question your 

What do you mean? I thought cross posting was normal. I usually do that. I do it all the time on Facebook 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think American society has gotten to the point where a person's avatar gender IS their true gender. It no longer matters what they are biologically. If you are dating a woman in SL, and you voice with her and they sound like a man, they are still a woman. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6
  • Confused 2

1 hour ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

So for me, SL is total freedom and fantasy. When I'm in SL, I love meeting people and hearing about what makes them tick. What their hobbies, passions etc are. The only part of their RL I'm interested in is maybe where they live, food, hobbies, interests etc. I think maybe I'm a bit weird because when I asked about voice chat, some people said they needed to  confirm gender through voice chat and I just don't see the point. I come to SL to do things and experience Sims I just can't in RL. I assume everyone's AV is not an accurate depiction of who they are in RL but rather an aspect of their personality they are exploring or a piece of art. I love the variety of AVs. Am I the only one who doesn't really care about how much the avatar aligns with the person's RL identity? I mean, I only interact with them in SL anyway. SL is very separate for me. Maybe I compartmentalize too much 🤷‍♀️. I heard the word "catfish" thrown about. So do you think the avatar should somewhat be in alignment with RL? Do you think it's wrong for people in SL to fabricate an online identity and then have a flirty relationship with other AVs? Do you feel that people use SL trick others into romantic relationships? Do you think they are just having fun and exploring their sexuality or other fantasies in this way? For me, I have found covid lockdowns really tough and it really helps to travel and explore in SL. I'm not into anything too heavy in SL though. But I do like flirting. I don't care what gender the person is in real life as long as the AV has the right gender for me because I will never meet them in RL 😄 

What do you think? 🤔 I never thought about it until I read the comments on the voice chat thread. I have no problem with middle aged men pretending to be young women. ^^

thats-bait-mad-max.gif

Here we go again.

• Like 7

ummm, ok, I am sorta comfortable that the purple raindeer  I was chatting to in secondlife might possibly not be that in real life.

Or the horse avatar, dogs, cats, pixies, and other assorted things.😁

I am here to explore and have some fun, but not too much fun lol.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, shireena1 said:

ummm, ok, I am sorta comfortable that the purple raindeer  I was chatting to in secondlife might possibly not be that in real life.

Or the horse avatar, dogs, cats, pixies, and other assorted things.😁

I am here to explore and have some fun, but not too much fun lol.

🤣

3 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I think American society has gotten to the point where a person's avatar gender IS their true gender. It no longer matters what they are biologically. If you are dating a woman in SL, and you voice with her and they sound like a man, they are still a woman. 

How does one "sound like a man" though? 

33 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

How does one "sound like a man" though? 

Dad-sneezes so the Forums go lopsided. 

Any further questions? 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

.. nods, on another account i play a young sexy Londonese Miss and i very rarely voice while logged in BUT whenever i do some people act surprised and i can't figure out why!

(**i do have a bass male voice by nature.. somewhat like Joe Cocker)

3 hours ago, StarlanderGoods said:

A more interesting question would be, why people need to keep a fresh version of this exact thread at all times?

Because to post on a three-month-old thread, would have everyone crying about necro posting. Hence we will have to do with regurgitated thread topics.

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.