Let's Hate Windows 11

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I already do, and I haven't even used it yet.

The coming October 5 release of Windows 11 caused me to check whether my shiny new computer is ready for the update.  I have just spent the last 2 weeks setting up all my peripherals and adding applications. When I checked, it turned out that my two SSDs were formatted as Master Boot Record type disks, but Windows 11 requires GPT formatting.

So I used a utility to change the partition type.  Big mistake. When I went to reboot, I didn't get past the BIOS.

After hours of trying things (and reinstalling Windows TWICE!) I finally managed to get a computer that declares itself ready for its shiny new Windows 11...but I am having to go back and manually reinstall and reconfigure EVERYTHING. Thank god my other, non-system disks survived, with all of my documents, photos, music and videos.

Microsoft, one of these days...

hmmm. Maybe we could get North Korea to nuke Redmond.

• Haha 7
  • Sad 2

I've also been looking into how ready I'm to migrate to Windows 11. The motherboard in my primary computer thankfully supports TPM 2.0 and I was able to enable it in the BIOS. However, there are 4 drivers that are reported being incompatible, and so far I've been unable to update them to satisfy the Windows 11 gods. My secondary computer is older and there is no hope for the little guy; I might just use it until it dies, or until Microsoft stops supporting Windows 10, which is expected to be in October 2025.

The Windows 11 upgrade feels like the release of a new head or body system in SL, where we all throw away all our investment in skins, appliers, accessories, etc. to stay up-to-date with the latest and greatest. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I already do, and I haven't even used it yet.

The coming October 5 release of Windows 11 caused me to check whether my shiny new computer is ready for the update.  I have just spent the last 2 weeks setting up all my peripherals and adding applications. When I checked, it turned out that my two SSDs were formatted as Master Boot Record type disks, but Windows 11 requires GPT formatting.

So I used a utility to change the partition type.  Big mistake. When I went to reboot, I didn't get past the BIOS.

After hours of trying things (and reinstalling Windows TWICE!) I finally managed to get a computer that declares itself ready for its shiny new Windows 11...but I am having to go back and manually reinstall and reconfigure EVERYTHING. Thank god my other, non-system disks survived, with all of my documents, photos, music and videos.

Microsoft, one of these days...

hmmm. Maybe we could get North Korea to nuke Redmond.

Want to know what worries me more?  That I have no idea what you just said.  If I had to do ANY of that, I'd be sitting here in tears.  God forbid I would need to call tech support and end up talking to someone I can barely understand trying to explain to me things I barely understand.  Been there, done that.  Tech support should only be handled by men with southern accents, IMO.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I'm not even going to waste my time running the PC health check. I know none of my desktops will run it and I don't care. As long as the software I want to use runs on Windows 10 I'll run Windows 10. I'm not turning perfectly good computers into e-waste for an OS with no compelling upgrades. Oooh, we put the start menu in the middle and it has Teams! I hate Teams.

• Like 5

Laughing hard. 

Two of my computers are Windows 10.

But my favourite still is Windows Vista.

Bad English in computer language terms undoubtedly. Couldn't give a f*ck.

Obviously can't access Second Life now on the Vista, even though I gave it some steroids, have replaced just about every component part, added more memory. Daren't even breathe too hard around it. But it works for what I need it to when I need it to. 

At this moment in time they can take their Windows 11 and shovel it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, So Whimsy said:

I'll be sticking to windows 10 for a while. Probably a long while.

They had to pry Windows XP out of my hands with so much force, I feel it to this day.

^^^ THIS

I'm pretty sure I ran XP for about as long as I could.  I then ran Windows 7 for a very, very long time after Windows 10 came out. I only finally switched because my home computer died and the new ones all came with Windows 10.  Hell, our company had to pay Microsoft for special support of Windows 7 because they are still working on getting everyone updated to Windows 10.  They might have finally accomplished it this year -- my work laptop was finally upgraded to Windows 10 just this past Dec.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Teagan Tobias said:

57 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

Not my actual desktop. Mine is too messy to show but this is what one would start with on Kubuntu (one of the Ubuntu "flavors").

Xubntu here.

Screenshot_2021-10-01_23-10-25.thumb.png.5d6f297f277860a8baa513c7fc2dcee9.png

• Like 2

I will do what I always do: I keep running the Windows version where my machine came with, or there has to be a very good reason to switch.
At the moment that is Windows 10. As long as all the software runs that I want/need it will stay Windows 10 until I buy a new machine hopefully many moons from now.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I will do what I always do: I keep running the Windows version where my machine came with, or there has to be a very good reason to switch.
At the moment that is Windows 10. As long as all the software runs that I want/need it will stay Windows 10 until I buy a new machine hopefully many moons from now.

same

i only went to Windows 10 when Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7.  I will go to Windows 11 or 12 or whichever it is when they stop supporting Windows 10

on the same basis. If it isn't broken don't fix it

• Like 3

I would switch to Linux, only,

over the past few days on my latest machine each linux distro either lot the graphics completely or else lost important things from the screen like the taskbar. Lubuntu 18.04, Lubuntu 20.04, Zorin 16, All of them either stopped displaying anything on the monitor except a message to say the monitor didn't like the timings, or else displayed the desktop without critical components like the task bar so everything had to be done from the terminal.

So I went back to Windows 7 on it. I had to revert the Windows Nvidia driver after a series of driver crashes, and surprise, the stock Nvidia driver on the install CD works fine.

I'm annoyed about the lInux failures, I had each distro running fine, and as I said, one b one they failed after either a set of updates, or else when booting up from cold.

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Easy solution that wont require you to figure out how to make Linux work on your desktop and fight to get GPU drivers working or running SL -> Stay on Windows 10.

I gladfully decline .. :D

nvidia.thumb.png.64e981a41407ba36c2d12500686959d6.png

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

When I checked, it turned out that my two SSDs were formatted as Master Boot Record type disks, but Windows 11 requires GPT formatting.

The problem behind this is, afaik, is that another unmentioned requirement is needed to make your system run again with the Windows Boot - manager. This bootmanager also needs to be (re)installed on a seperately created FAT32-partition instead of it being written into the MasterBootRecord ( in the beginning of the booting disk )  when you had MBR formatted disks in so-called legacy mode.

Since your BIOS expects the bootmanager on said partition after the GPT conversion, but didn't find it, this obviously marked the start of hour and hours for you to find this out, probably starting off with the need of the Windows installation disks. 

Still happy it worked out ok for you .. ;)

Or to quote you : "Try Second Life Windows 11," they said. "It'll be fun for an afternoon," they said.

Edited by TDD123

Previously, wasn't it always like "one good version, skip the next one(s)"? Like XP = good, skip Vista and VistaWhatsitsName ?

I'm fine with Win10, works for me, no stupid, unexplained hardware compatiblity which would actually affect one of my computers with a Ryzen 5 1600x. It could be installed, with jumping through a couple of loops -  but why? Why should I bother?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Easy solution that wont require you to figure out how to make Linux work on your desktop and fight to get GPU drivers working or running SL -> Stay on Windows 10.

It's baffling that a dev like you couldn't even manage to run a simple wizard for the GPU drivers.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 753 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.