Let's Hate Windows 11

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

45 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Microsoft to people who can’t update to Windows 11: 

858B224B-3696-4062-8981-39DA1056B36C.gif

I mean had they not had those stupid hardware requirements, I would update. But alas, I would have to rebuild my pc just to use it. I can't afford to just dump a butt tonne into new hardware. So thank you Microsoft. Lol

16 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I have a favorite T shirt that says,

How to Count to 10 in Software: 1, 2, 3, NT, 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10

Next week I can turn Windows up to 11!

Wait what happened with 9 ? 

I have a very bad feeling that in Microsoft HQ there is a forgotten room somewhere is the basement  with some cursed IT guys how are still working on Win 9. And nobody told them that a project was cancelled. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Amanda Crisp said:

Aha!  The great MicroSatan returns……

It's easy to blame MS and Windows for all the evil, but really, they're just the front man, evil's salesman, evil's reasonably photogenic friend, the one person evil knows with their **** together.

The real evil, the evil that churns insidiously beneath the surface, the ugly evil made from bashed together tar soaked binaries, cracks paved over with shell, dripping with python glue, virtually spawning giant amorphous blobs drifting and docking together hidden behind impenetrable clouds. fragmented and corruptible to the core, ready to do anything without morals or judgements. That's all Linux.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

I'm with Microsoft since my first PC,  back in the day when a 100 MB hard disk and 4 MB RAM were total novelties, with MSDos and Windows 3.x and I had never any reason whatsoever to change to another operating system.

Is it the best available OS? I don't know and I don't care. It was the OS I learned first to use and the one I got comfy with.
Most of my friends had and have it as their OS.  At work everything runs on Windows. There is tons of software available for Windows. Why should I try something else? 

I simply float with the majority. They can't be all wrong.
So guess what, I have an Android phone and tablet for the same reason. Most people around me use Android, so it's the easiest for me to get information and help if needed.

Edited by Sid Nagy

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

So guess what, I have an Android phone and tablet for the same reason. Most people around me use Android, so it's the easiest for me to get information and help if needed.

You do know Android is Google's version of Linux for smartphones and other handheld devices ?

Edited by TDD123

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm with Microsoft since my first PC,  back in the day when a 100 MB hard disk and 4 MB RAM were total novelties, with MSDos and Windows 3.x and I had never any reason whatsoever to change to another operating system...

Of course you should stick with MS Windows, it is the most widely used Operating System, the easiest one and when it comes to support you don't need to become a computer technician to figure things out.

Linux is nice but definitely not easy for the average user and MacOS .. well it's MacOS.

• Like 2

So, um, gosh.  I used OS/9 on a Tandy CoCo.  It, and lots of other things had windows before the word was trademarked.  Assembly language programming on the Motorola 6809 was okay.  It even had little things to chuckle about, like, the sign extend instruction mnemonic is SEX.

2 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

What?! All the internet's evil runs on Linux servers 😁

Grmbl .. if I didn't know better , it would seem you're just begging for a spankin' ... :P

Edited by TDD123

Something I feel I should point out to those here (which includes myself) who are saying they're happy running Linux/Windows 7 rather than Windows 10/11 is that this is only going to be possible whilst LL and TPVs release executables that can run on those platforms. There might be some TPV devs who are going to be reluctant to splash out n post-201 PCs that are capable of running Windows 11, but I suspect most of them, and certainly LL, to switch to new hardware and windows 11, and sooner or later there won't be releases capable of running on pre-Windows 10 PCs.

Hopefully Microsoft won't repeat the same mistakes they made post Windows 7 and the new release is going to be tolerable.

• Haha 1

Oh, and to try and be as fair-minded as possible, I do agree with some of the comments about the annoying hoops you have to jump through for Linux.

Linux is by no means perfect, and is just as good as Windows sometimes at being a law unto itself

Lubuntu 20.04 in particular has decided that anthing Microsoft can do, it can do...

"There's updates for your computer. Yes I know you were busy but I had to tell you right now. No, you can't look and see what they are and pick and choose. You do them all or you don't. I can wait all day if I have to..."

Edited by Profaitchikenz Haiku

1 hour ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

Something I feel I should point out to those here (which includes myself) who are saying they're happy running Linux/Windows 7 rather than Windows 10/11 is that this is only going to be possible whilst LL and TPVs release executables that can run on those platforms.

Stop worrying so much, worst case scenario we will Wine it.

1bXHrTH.gif

On 10/1/2021 at 2:46 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

I already do, and I haven't even used it yet.

The coming October 5 release of Windows 11 caused me to check whether my shiny new computer is ready for the update.  I have just spent the last 2 weeks setting up all my peripherals and adding applications. When I checked, it turned out that my two SSDs were formatted as Master Boot Record type disks, but Windows 11 requires GPT formatting.

So I used a utility to change the partition type.  Big mistake. When I went to reboot, I didn't get past the BIOS.

After hours of trying things (and reinstalling Windows TWICE!) I finally managed to get a computer that declares itself ready for its shiny new Windows 11...but I am having to go back and manually reinstall and reconfigure EVERYTHING. Thank god my other, non-system disks survived, with all of my documents, photos, music and videos.

Microsoft, one of these days...

hmmm. Maybe we could get North Korea to nuke Redmond.

please tell me that is will not be a required update..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 722 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.