Let's Hate Windows 11

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, Quistess Alpha said:

Linux doesn't have built-in wizards. Linux users are wizards themselves.

.. but seriously .. Most distros offer the selection of the proprietary NVidia-drivers during installation. 

Now getting the Firestormviewer installed and work with SLVoice is a feat I have only seen accomplish by ZorinOS.

My dear Debian failed me there ... :|

Edited by TDD123

44 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

It's baffling that a dev like you couldn't even manage to run a simple wizard for the GPU drivers.

I'm blessed with a specific model of 2060 that's allergic to cruft nvidia puts out and calls a driver.

Sure it installs just fine, but try to do anything involving hardware acceleration and its hell scape of slowdowns, window redraws and screen tears. I have tried several distros, even rolled my own gentoo and .. its junk (I can get close, but there is always some combination of SL & YouTube or movie file that jams the whole mess up). If I want to feel like I'm using a computer for the early 2000's, well I have period relevant hardware for that :P

There is almost no software of note that is Linux exclusive, and with WSL I don't even have to suffer Windows command or poopershell .. I can even run GUI applications, if there were any I needed to run that didn't have a windows port.

(Prior to Windows 10, I've exclusively used Linux for the last decade and as a server since the early 2000's, everything from desktops and laptops to servers though to commercial desktop based LTSP projects sharing one fat desktop between a dozen users)

Linux on the desktop is in the same crappy place it was 10 years ago, maybe I will give it another go when I get a new GPU. But if I can't install a chromium derived browser, open a YT video and then drag the window around the screen without it freaking out, I'm just not going to sink a week of my life into trying everything under the sun to try and make it acceptable when Windows 10 just works out the box.

1 minute ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

... Or for me with Kubuntu (though I don't have a 2060, just a 660)

980 Ti here. Only real things on my system that aren't "stock" Manjaro (some of my programs aside) are the Kernel and GPU driver set.

The latter is the Arch (which Manjaro was forked from) repo version.

33 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Linux on the desktop is in the same crappy place it was 10 years ago, maybe I will give it another go when I get a new GPU.

I very highly recommend ZorinOS Pro ( Ubuntu based ) - version in your specific case. Try the free version first. You might be pleasantly surprised.

IF you like a GNOME-based desktop. 

Edited by TDD123

Just now, TDD123 said:

Go for the free version then . I 'll be right here for the free support you probably won' t need .. :P

I'm not spending that on a Linux that doesn't come in a box and include a book (especially yet another based on debian!)

RIP SuSE.

Just now, Sammy Huntsman said:

The only thing that bugs me about Windows 11, is that to update my computer. I would have to basically buy a new motherboard and some new hardware to just use it. 

I'm most upset about the fixed lower taskbar .. there is no way I'm giving up an inch strip across the bottom of an ultrawide monitor.

6 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

RIP SuSE.

Ah yes .. SuSE with Yet another Superfluous Try and all that kind of goodness .. and what do you need a book for ?   :|

YOU CAN TRY THE FREE VERSION OF ZORIN_OS !!! 

( goddemmit, Scyllah .. now look what you made me do .. ) 

Edited by TDD123

43 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I'm most upset about the fixed lower taskbar .. there is no way I'm giving up an inch strip across the bottom of an ultrawide monitor.

Somewhere I read that they preserved the "shy" taskbar that hides itself. Used to be so buggy but fixed enough that I rely on it on Win 10, so it better be in 11…

1053801052_Screenshot2021-10-01213457.png.2d06388596f07cb587d94a9370559638.png… which my machine is currently installing. We'll see soon enough if it works.

(Worst case I have an up-to-date Ubuntu box doing fileserver duty. Wouldn't run SL well though.)

[ =============
UPDATE: Survived the upgrade intact. Catznip runs. The Restart cycle during upgrade could have better production values; if it were a Cupertino production there'd be a 4K surround sound ad for "The Last Duel" while we wait. ]

Edited by Qie Niangao
graphics
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TDD123 said:

Now getting the Firestormviewer installed and work with SLVoice is a feat I have only seen accomplish by ZorinOS.

It works just fine in Ubuntu (and Archlinux.)
In regards to SLVoice all you need to do in ubuntu is

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 
sudo apt install -y libidn11:i386 libstdc++6:i386 libuuid1:i386 zlib1g:i386 gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio:i386 

(just remember the SLVoice offered for Linux is a very old version and there will be no updates so it will be buggy, best thing to do is install wine version)

I keep them both for debugging reasons.

Screenshot_2021-10-02_04-55-06.png.e2aa1ef73a3e2614a2bafa57424730d2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Nick0678 said:

It works just fine in Ubuntu (and Archlinux.)

Well . the issue for me here is Debian .. for some reason Debian will not allow me to install libssl1.1:i386 eventhough I enabled multi-architecture. 

This even goes for Wine32 .. i cannot install it. Wine64 installs fine ( have not tried anything with it yet though ), but it will not start the Win32 SLVoice.exe included with the viewer. 

ETA : I only have this issue with SLVoice , the viewer works just fine as any other application which requires audio, so no big dealbreaker for me.

ETA 2 : Wait ? So I could also try running the viewer in Debian with SLVoice of my Win 10 by Wine64 ? Can I combine those ? 

Edited by TDD123

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.