In world profile badges.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

6 minutes ago, Eddy Vortex said:

Imagine if there's a badge for staying SL married for longer than two years, nobody would be qualified to get into such a club.

That one is easily gamed..

I've been partnered to my husband since 2011, but he was hardly ever in here for the month I made him try it..

So I made him an alt.. hehehe

• Like 1

I wonder if LL would be allowed to process and store all that personal information.
And publicly show it then in your profile.
There are privacy laws.

Edited by Sid Nagy

3 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I wonder if LL would be allowed to process and store all that personal information.
There are privacy laws.

Most of the stuff in Coffee's list LL probably already has stats on - and since the data applies to the avatars and has nothing to do with RL identification in any way, I don't think the privacy laws apply.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hell, you could put the limit at 6 months (maybe even 2-3 months) and still wouldn't have many folks that achieved the badge.

It's indeed a hard target to aim for.  In all of my and Greg's rezzed days combined, I have never met anyone, with the exception of two, whose pretend marriage lasting more than four weeks.

38 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That one is easily gamed..

I've been partnered to my husband since 2011, but he was hardly ever in here for the month I made him try it..

So I made him an alt.. hehehe

All too easily. No one could tell if the name in the partner box has a genuine separate typist behind it or is an alt.

Edited by Eddy Vortex

I like the idea and I totally predicted the responses to it. I was thinking of something similar implemented.for a single region filled with activities. Where a visitor would have a hud and get badges for doing things on the sim like visiting all the landmarks, riding all the rides, jumping into all the pools, etc. You’d get gifts with each badge like a dance animation, a hat, etc. It would let people know there are things to do in the region and identify people who have explored it. Anyways good luck on the badge idea. 

• Like 1

On one hand, I've absolutely seen achievement systems used to marginalize people in games, so I hesitate to fully endorse the idea. On the other hand, SL is a much different environment than said games, so the kind of abuse I saw would be self harm, here.

It's a fair idea to consider, and I have to laugh at all the negative responses. "We can't have anything here like gamers get! They get things like tasks and missions and achievements and improvements and optimizations!"

Heaven forbid we do anything to improve a platform that's been stagnant since at least 2009.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I like it, as an idea for new (under 30 days) residents. Some of Coffee's suggestions might be enough to get people hooked on things that brought some of us longer-term residents into SL: building, scripting, exploring, etc.

If the time spent and experiences had while hunting down a few achievements is enough to show them what else SL has to offer - to the point of them deciding to stick around - then what's the harm in it?

If they don't like it, they'll leave. Same as they do now. Again, no harm done.

Some people like collecting things. I've managed to collect a 220,000+ inventory over 14 years, after all... ;)

(Also, my post got laughed at by Solar? I'VE FINALLY ARRIVED!)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Paul Hexem said:

On one hand, I've absolutely seen achievement systems used to marginalize people in games, so I hesitate to fully endorse the idea. On the other hand, SL is a much different environment than said games, so the kind of abuse I saw would be self harm, here.

It's a fair idea to consider, and I have to laugh at all the negative responses. "We can't have anything here like gamers get! They get things like tasks and missions and achievements and improvements and optimizations!"

Heaven forbid we do anything to improve a platform that's been stagnant since at least 2009.

No one said that they don't want improvements or optimizations dude. Now you are just putting words in our mouth. God forbid that someone doesn't want SL to become totally gamified. I mean that doesn't mean we don't want improvments. But I think I can say, that I don't want badges or achievements in my overall SL. Heck, I hated it when games started doing it. To me the ultimate achievement in a game, is when I beat a part I had troubles beating or eveb beating a specific boss. But never once did I say anything about not wanting improvements or or optimizations. I just don't think we need to start being more like actual gaming platforms. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Skell Dagger said:

I like it, as an idea for new (under 30 days) residents. Some of Coffee's suggestions might be enough to get people hooked on things that brought some of us longer-term residents into SL: building, scripting, exploring, etc.

If the time spent and experiences had while hunting down a few achievements is enough to show them what else SL has to offer - to the point of them deciding to stick around - then what's the harm in it?

If they don't like it, they'll leave. Same as they do now. Again, no harm done.

Some people like collecting things. I've managed to collect a 220,000+ inventory over 14 years, after all... ;)

(Also, my post got laughed at by Solar? I'VE FINALLY ARRIVED!)

Honestly, instead of achievements and badges, why don't we just actually fix tutorial island. To some new users, it is hard to navigate and or even figure SL out. So why not fix that first, make it less confusing. Worry about things that already exist, imrpove existing things, before we start adding something that will probably complicate things further. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

A badge or award given to users (by LL) for meeting some criteria or participating in a special event (etc).

Badges are shown with a tiny graphic in the users profile and optionally come with a vanity title that could be shown in place of a group title. They would provide no additional benefit or perk aside from reputation ascribed to them by other users.

There would be some overlap with achievements,  obviously some people would decide to earn as many as possible (participation is a good thing), the intent isn't to make people grind out arbitrary goals that have no positive purpose relating to SL as a whole. Where possible, all badges should be achievable by all residents. Gaming some badges would be expected, the amount of social reputation a badge infers would no doubt reflect this.

Example badges could include (but not be limited to)

• Test Dummy - Participation in a Linden beta test / pile on.
  • Performing, exhibiting or volunteering at a Linden event, such as SL birthdays. New badge every year for each of the roles.
  • Explorer - Visit 500 regions.
  • Bug Hunter - Report an accepted bug report on the JIRA
  • Blogger - Users blog is featured by Strawberry on the SL blog.
  • Forumite - Hit a certain post count on the forums.
  • Good Citizen - A reverse badge everyone starts with and goes away if your account ever gets suspended. (controversial! 😂)
  • Chatterbox - Say a million things in local chat.
  • Fearless - Own a parcel of regular mainland for 6 months.
  • Builder - Rez a few prims and link them together.
  • Committed - Be a premium member for more than 2 years.
  • Bellissarian - Have  the same Bellissaria Linden home for 6 months.
  • Shopper - Buy something from the SLM that costs L$1 or more.
  • Wizard - Use every LSL function in your own script at least once.
  • Merchant - Sell something on the SLM.
  • Summoned - Accept 1000 teleport offers.
  • Ethereal - You logged in with the new mobile client, once.
  • Barber - Bid a Linden bald.
  • Contributor - Get a submitted feature into the official viewer.
  • Barron - Become an estate manager.
  • Zombie - Have your SL heath reduced to zero.
  • etc etc etc .. the more the merrier !

Ideally badges should reward some action, shows or encourages participation in SL, or have subtle requirements - Eg Fearless would require a premium account.

Badges would come with a little fanfare in the viewer.

At heart they would be a bit of fun, and everyone would have the option to opt out of showing badges on their public profile.

I like it! I don’t know how hard it would be to implement, but it’s a neat little thing that adds a little flair.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

No one said that they don't want improvements or optimizations dude.

No one ever says it outright. Everybody just complains and says "SL isn't a game!" every time someone suggests improvements or features that are in other games.

Like it or not,  on a technical level, SL is just like most MMO's and could benefit from many of their features.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Honestly, instead of achievements and badges, why don't we just actually fix tutorial island.

Tinkering with the the first thing new users see in world has been tried several times with equally uninspiring results, the Lab are at it again with a new island and a pop up guide book, and honestly .. There is no arrangement of scenery and informative tutorial images that will magically shift the needle. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done or refreshed frequently, but doing the same few things that have been done before can't be the only thing.

If badges give a little direction in a users first 30 days, that's 100% better than the nothing we have right now.

If they give an oldbie something to pass the time on a lazy afternoon, again, everyone wins.

Some badges do need to be hard to earn and require persistent self application. For example, one for store owners who make 1000, 5000 and 10,000 SLM sales. Is it going to be the sole motivation to keep building their business? hell no, but it's going to feel awesome to hear that ding and you can bet the store owner will be paying attention and be online when it happens, maybe use it as an excuse to throw a party or special event - which is great for everyone.

• Like 4

I like it! It would give you an idea of what the new person you meet is into and that could be an ice breaker. 

You could make it optional for those who dont want to share. (That theyre into some questionable stuff in sl)

😄

BETA residents have a little badge already. 

Edited by Ingrid Ingersoll
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

I like it! It would give you an idea of what the new person you meet is into and that could be an ice breaker. 

You could make it optional for those who dont want to share. (That theyre into some questionable stuff in sl)

😄

BETA residents have a little badge already. 

We have that already - Interests in one's profile. Fill it out if you feel the need to advertise.

4 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

It's indeed a hard target to aim for.  In all of my and Greg's rezzed days combined, I have never met anyone, with the exception of two, whose pretend marriage lasting more than four weeks.

Waves... nice to meet you,  13 years this year for hubby and I :) Of course, it's not pretend, so that probably helps a lot lol. 

That said, back on topic, lol. While I wouldn't shoot the idea down entirely, since I can see some merit in it. I don't think it's wise for LL to head down this sort of path again, or still, or, continue to. I think LL needs to fix some fundamentals first, because they're way more important to sl's longevity than shiny pretties. Shiny pretties have their place, no doubt, and without them we can't have people, so I definitely get that aspect too. But there's too much other stuff broken on LL's end that needs tended to first. I hate to see LL always seeming to put off this stuff in order to add some new shiny pretty that no one really wants, or needs, at least not right this moment. 

MP for example, is a poop show, has been one since LL took it over and, well, frankly, it's disturbing that it's remained a poop show its entire lifespan thus far, lol. It's actually embarrassing for LL, I don't know why they're  not embarrassed by it. I probably shouldn't go into the whys and hows of that here, so I won't. But, there's enough left there in the realm of MP to fix that they wouldn't have much time, manpower or other resources to dedicate to pretty shinies if they put more effort into it, lol. I love MP too, don't get me wrong, but we all know it could be way better and LL had no business removing all other options while creating this weird barely functional monopoly, lol.

LL lacks the ability to focus on more than one major issue at a time, we all know it. As much as we love LL and enjoy sl, and love sl even, LL leaves a lot to be desired sometimes. So, I'd rather they focus time, resources and manpower on things that fix broken stuff first. Then we can add all the cool/neat/fun/amazing stuff that will help with retention. Some of the most basic stuff that's broken would help a lot with retention too, but maybe LL doesn't realize that.

I don't know, I don't have all the answers, and I don't like to shoot them all down, but I just think focus would be better put somewhere else, for now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

No one ever says it outright. Everybody just complains and says "SL isn't a game!" every time someone suggests improvements or features that are in other games.

Like it or not,  on a technical level, SL is just like most MMO's and could benefit from many of their features.

Okay let me put it to you this way. SL is a very unique game, if you make it like the others then we would have to implement other systems. Since people will beg for it. Essentially making it more like Call of Duty Online, than a unique experience. I get why people want to do this. But we could add new stuff in other areas, and improve upon stuff that is already broken and jenky. Let's worry about fixing those issues, before we go and add something new, that will most likely break and well you know how people are, when functions break in SL. I just want SL to stay unique. The only similarity to an MMO is A the online aspect, and B the social interaction with actual people instead of NPCs 

They added the My Second Life page hoping to attract the Facebook crowd.  They implemented it and haven't touched it since.  I never use the feed but when it broke and people's years of pictures were lost, boy did they scream.  I have no clue whether that was ever fixed.  Not that I care but case in point.

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

They added the My Second Life page hoping to attract the Facebook crowd.  They implemented it and haven't touched it since.  I never use the feed but when it broke and people's years of pictures were lost, boy did they scream.  I have no clue whether that was ever fixed.  Not that I care but case in point.

That thing should never have been greenlit.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1041 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.