The new SL ad.

Sid Nagy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm more concerned about how much of our tier fees went into the production...

A production that showcases absolutely nothing about what SL in-world looks and feels like.

It reminds me of all those cheesey 80's video game commercials with RL actors were used to portray the game characters.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Eddy Vortex said:

LOL, what EEP setting is that?

That's what I don't get...even if you use human actors instead of SL avatars, couldn't they have used SL sky settings instead of that gloomy dark sky? Honestly think some of the EEP settings would have looked better? :S

21 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

This looks like a consulting firm was hired they did not follow directions and decided to make a video without using actual SL assets

from what little mentions Linden have made about this work, apparently the hired firm did follow direction

seems the idea was that if the person viewing is an imaginative creative cosplayer in reals (depicted realworld cosplayer like in the video) then SL is for you. Able to create a character according to your own design and not be restricted to a boxed character typical of other platforms/games

while is true that some of the effects in the video would be quite difficult (if not impossible) to achieve in SL, I think tho that the basic idea (able to create a non-boxed character of your own imagination) is pretty right and true of SL

is true also that I was pretty perplexed when I first saw the video, then I thought about it a bit.  Can see the idea. Not sure tho how successful it is going to be in drawing in new users, but I get the idea of it

edit add:

if this video is what Linden themselves imagine what SL can/will look like one day (and is something that will be used internally as an aspiration to motivate th team) then will be really good

Edited by Mollymews
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Oh this old thing

is the projected capabilities in the video that I hope Linden will pursue. Cloth and kinematics specially.  For avatar creation cloth and kinematics will be really good if ever implemented.

cloth leads to organics and fluid simulations which would be really good also. Organics and fluids will change the inworld in the most fundamental of ways. Oceans with physical waves that boats respond to. Interactive weather systems as well. Plants that can respond to changes in climate

little things also like furnishings. Koi ponds and tap water. Cups of tea. Baking cakes in a fully simulated kitchen, etc

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

This is so not SL's every day's reality.
What were they thinking?

They have said clearly what they were thinking.  This not a "new" ad, but the Director's Cut, which as Brett Linden pointed out, is their one experimental ad with no SL inworld content.   They have other ads with mostly inworld content they are trying out this year.  Their purpose is to attract new and young members, since that is the only way to grow the company.   

"They" are LL CEO Oberwolf Linden, and Marketing Manager Brett Linden.  Their vision has been made clear by their recent interviews.  Have you watched and listened to what they said?    It doesn't sound like you have.

The Youtube response to that video has been overwhelmingly positive, from the comments.  

This forum is about the most non-representative of typical SL residents, or of potential new residents.  Thank goodness none of you are in charge of growing Second Life!  It would be dead in a year  (:

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

from what little mentions Linden have made about this work, apparently the hired firm did follow direction

seems the idea was that if the person viewing is an imaginative creative cosplayer in reals (depicted realworld cosplayer like in the video) then SL is for you. Able to create a character according to your own design and not be restricted to a boxed character typical of other platforms/games

while is true that some of the effects in the video would be quite difficult (if not impossible) to achieve in SL, I think tho that the basic idea (able to create a non-boxed character of your own imagination) is pretty right and true of SL

is true also that I was pretty perplexed when I first saw the video, then I thought about it a bit.  Can see the idea. Not sure tho how successful it is going to be in drawing in new users, but I get the idea of it

edit add:

if this video is what Linden themselves imagine what SL can/will look like one day (and is something that will be used internally as an aspiration to motivate th team) then will be really good

Wait. What? LL is trying to appeal to cosplayers? I don't think LL truly understand what cosplay is all about. It's not dressing up an avatar in SL. It's creating a REAL costume in REAL life. About the only purpose SL would serve for them is an extremely expensive way of trying different looks. Yet there are programs out there that will do the same thing without the expense of SL. 

Looks to me like LL shot themselves in the foot there. Again. 😢

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

FWIW not everyone has time or patience enough to listen through hours of people talking slowly.

If they haven't finally started using CC on ALL of the vids, it's a waste of my time. Can't read the lips of an avatar since they aren't actually forming words.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Wait. What? LL is trying to appeal to cosplayers? I don't think LL truly understand what cosplay is all about. It's not dressing up an avatar in SL. It's creating a REAL costume in REAL life. About the only purpose SL would serve for them is an extremely expensive way of trying different looks. Yet there are programs out there that will do the same thing without the expense of SL. 

possibly

but given capabilities then people have a way of taking those capabilities in completely other directions than those envisaged by the idea initiators. Whatever motivates Linden to give us these capabilities I don't mind. And I don't mind what thought processes the ideas intiators go thru to arrive at a decision to implement the capabilities

all I truly care about really is that we get them. And I (along with most everyone else) will make of them what we want, and not pay to much attention to what the ideas initiators thought we might do with them

Edited by Mollymews
typs

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I think LL is trying to appeal to a particular demographic (identified primarily by broadly unrelated characteristics, such as gender, age, education, employment and so on) and that ad is thought to push the right buttons to get a better response than can be attributed to chance alone.

I'm thinking back to when first I starting wondering about trying SL, so a long time ago, being struck by images I'd seen online of Inslico and of Caledon, not because I was particularly interested in Sci-Fi or Steampunk or Victorian RP, but because they made SL look a really interesting place to check out, and see what else I could discover there.    So I think they may not be looking specifically to attract people who actually want to engage in fantasy RP so much as people who think, "that looks interesting and cool.  I wonder what else there is there."

• Like 1

It's a great ad.

For Fortnite.

The first part of that looks like Fortnite avatars with Fortnite costume changes. I was expecting them to pop their chute and start gliding to a target.

2009 Second Life ad.

Is the new one better or worse?

5 minutes ago, animats said:

It's a great ad.

For Fortnite.

The first part of that looks like Fortnite avatars with Fortnite costume changes. I was expecting them to pop their chute and start gliding to a target.

2009 Second Life ad.

Is the new one better or worse?

It's definitely more accurate.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

FWIW not everyone has time or patience enough to listen through hours of people talking slowly.

But they have the time to post for hours on this forum everyday. :)

27 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If they haven't finally started using CC on ALL of the vids, it's a waste of my time. Can't read the lips of an avatar since they aren't actually forming words.

All of the Youtube video interviews have CC. You just click on CC and there in big white letters are their words.  Sometimes the speech to text algorithm gets a word wrong, usually from some British speaker with a bad accent and mumbling.  The Linden executives speak normal English, so you can rely on the CC for what they are saying.

Two of the relevant recent interviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfIIG1TWxkc&t=58s       Second Life's Lab Gab SL18B Special with the Linden Lab Leadership Team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQI8J2j1VVE       Meet the Lindens 2021 - Brett Linden

I do agree listening to Saffia can be tedious at times.  You can always mute the sound and just watch in Closed Caption.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.