The new SL ad.

Sid Nagy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How SL looks depends on where one is, the computer one uses, and how they have their viewer set. When Insilico was first built it was awesome. The art that went into it was extremely well done, IMO. I think a very similar video to the new ad could have been made in just Insilico. Drax made a good video of Insilico. I think parts of Drax's work are as good as and similar to the new ad video. He is a pro and talented so he does know how to make things look good.

And we have had a number of fantasy places that were visually amazing. Many of the 'historical' builds preserved in SL are/were way impressive, think the ecological build Svarga (still around just not maintained) while less a visual wonder was impressive and the synthetic life amazing.

I am convinced that most of the complaints about render quality in SL come from those that have no idea how to tweak their viewer to work with their computer. The range of quality in images in the forum here and on Flickr show how varied are peoples views of SL. If what you are seeing is not the quality of the ad or the better videos and images out there... consider learning how to tweak your viewer.

So, those that think the ad misrepresents how SL looks I urge them to consider whether they have as good a render quality from their viewer as is possible. While you can find lots of sucky images and videos, there are many that show SL at its best render quality. You should have at least one preset that allows you to SL in high-quality render.

The ad certainly does make it look easy to change appearance. It is easy to change. A single click can do it. But, getting the looks they display is NOT a simple thing. So, I agree the ad can be... probably will be...  misleading to many. But that is nothing new in advertising.

The direction of art in SL has also taken a turn. Look at the destination guide picks for this week. Looks are much less Sci-Fi and fantasy-world-ish. We still gets lots of beautiful places. And if you tweak the Windlight/EEP settings many of these places look even more amazing. I forget, but Sobe or Adored is only here for 30 days. Both are NICE builds and enhancing your Windlight/EEP settings can completely change their look. Both regions are what I consider backdrop-builds. They are great for photos and machinima.

• Like 3

I don't think its really bad or that misleading. It looks to me like the video is saying "You can be what you want in SL" which is true, it even goes so far as to link a real person travelling through cyberspace before they get to SL. It does have actual footage of real avatars in there. The cyberman seems to be the catalyst for the change....or...something like that.

Idk, it makes sense to me. It's just not an video that says "WHOA DUDE! THIS IS SECONDLIFE!!! LOOK AT SECONDLIFE!!!" It seems like its a little more highbrow than that, but not much. Its just more concept based, not so straightforward and the concept is "Secondlife allows you to transform into what ever you want." 

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.