The new SL ad.

Sid Nagy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

39 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

So, I will disagree with you like others have. YouTubes CC is known to be terrible and not compliant to CC codes.

How would a general speech to text algorithm operating in real-time know how to spell unusual names, unless it had already learned them?  Ebbe Linden and Sansar are not common words in RL.  Despite it not being able to instantly learn  the correct spelling of formal names not in it's vocabulary, I don't think it changed the context of the remarks.  I am use to local chat in SL, where misspelling and garbled words are common.  We don't have language police in SL local chat, unlike here, which is not real-time.  

And you can't prevent people from mumbling, sluring words and taking speech shortcuts during an unrehearsed interview.  It might help to remove the uhs and umms in real-time.  Unless your name was Uh and Umm.  

pl in chat of course means ok. everyone knows that.

S;; oy yslrd od s gjogy om upit lrunpstf gomhgrtd gpt ykpuvj yu[omh/

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

You make the mistake of assuming thought went into this.

Linden Lab has been trying to chase after and entice the Gaemerz for far too long and it needs to stop.

9 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

This looks like a consulting firm was hired they did not follow directions and decided to make a video without using actual SL assets,  eye candy can only get you so far.  Have to SHOW the actual product with actual game play footage and nothing rendering outside...

There's a reason that gamers have demanded for years to see gameplay footage vs announcement cinematics for games. Only out of touch executives that don't actually use the products are swayed by the cinematics.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Drayke Newall said:

Exactly and that is the point and is why no other platform uses it for closed captions designed for the hearing impaired. Subtitles yes, CC no.

OK, thanks for the clarification.  Subtitles are added after the fact, so the speaker can be identified and extraneous sounds removed. I assume that requires extra work. You can tell who is speaking in the LL interviews by watching the green voice waves above the avatars, if you are totally hearing impaired. 

I used the SL18B interview here  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfIIG1TWxkc&t=58s

I listened to Patch and Brett starting at 1:00:00 to 1:11:04 times.  I picked that segment because Brett was discussing what the topic of this thread is (or was before CC became the huge issue.)

I found in a 11 minute rapid conversation among three voices, two errors.

Strawberry slured Linden Lab into LindLab, so the CC read Lindlab. Hardly a point of huge confusion.

It also had problems correctly spelling Bellisseria, since that word must not be in the dictionary. It was also pronounced differently by everyone.  The three spellings it guessed at were:

Bellisaria (Patch), Belisarius (Strawberry) and Bellisario (Brett). Clearly SL needs to train their top executives in a common pronunciation of this made up name!  But did the different spellings really confuse you?

So two errors in a 11 min interview, out of thousands of words all spelled correctly.  That is state of the art speech to text conversion.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

Only out of touch executives that don't actually use the products are swayed by the cinematics.

Patch Linden doesn't use SL?  I think he would disagree with you. What a ridiculous comment that is.

Linden Lab's Executive Chairman Oberwolf Linden is new of course.  But he has been in SL using his Alt since before he assumed control.   Look for a newbie with a wolf tattoo. :)

He signed up for SL with no assistance from the SL staff to experience the same thing a new user would.  No one knew who he was as he moved around the regions asking newbie questions.  He was impressed at how helpful most Residents were.  He even offered them Lindens for helping him with a few avatar questions.  I might have spoken to him myself, since few newbies have Lindens to offer for your help, and I wondered who this 5 day old avatar with money really was.

Oberwolf (Brad) is also a neighbor to Philip Linden. Their families meet regularly.  Brad has known Philip for many years, when he was SL CEO.  His son joined SL as a teenager years ago.  He also knows something about promoting companies.  

Brett Linden has been in SL for many years.  He is trying new ideas.  Hardly an out of touch executive.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

what the heck is the relation with SL.. where the judges sleeping?..or it this such imaginary Web reward that everybody can buy.

If you don't know SL's real status, and you watch the ad, you could be fooled. (general yous)
It is well made.
But not really suitable to sell SL  IMHO.
A can of Coke\Pepsi or the latest Mercedes\Ford models could do as well where the SL Logo appears.
They have next to nothing to do with the rest of the commercial either.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

The question shouldn't be, does youtube translate up to standard, but does the new ad show what SL is ... and if it represents what SL should become... will it save the product, or alianate the biggest chunk of old users.

It will alienate about 10 users, all in this forum. SL has 200,000 active daily users. I don't think the old users in this forum count much in their quest for growth. 

Edited by Jaylinbridges
Corrected my typo - 200,000 daily users
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

And where did you come up with that number? 

220,000 might be a typo

Brett Linden mentioned 200,000 at SLB18. The numbers also mentioned (which I took from Inara Pey's blog)

- Total registered accounts: +70 million.

- Average daily usage: currently 200,000 users across 200 countries.

- GDP: equivalent to US $600 million.

- Creator cash-outs in last 12 months: over US $80 million.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

220,000 might be a typo

Brett Linden mentioned 200,000 at SLB18. The numbers also mentioned (which I took from Inara Pey's blog)

- Total registered accounts: +70 million.

- Average daily usage: currently 200,000 users across 200 countries.

- GDP: equivalent to US $600 million.

- Creator cash-outs in last 12 months: over US $80 million.

Registered accounts are meaningless. The average daily usage is far more important and honestly it’s sad. 200k across 200 countries? That’s just sad. The city of Rochester in NY has a larger population.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

Registered accounts are meaningless. The average daily usage is far more important and honestly it’s sad. 200k across 200 countries? That’s just sad. The city of Rochester in NY has a larger population.

There was a point when they hay day of SL was happening, we was hitting 88 to 90k people, SL would choke so bad, services would die, we'd be down for hours waiting.   I'm just happy SL has stabilized to this point. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Chris Nova said:

The average daily usage is far more important and honestly it’s sad. 200k across 200 countries?

Well, opportunities for growth then.

I don't want SL to be for the unwashed masses, TBH.  20 million daily users?  AWS would need to expand.  We don't need another Facebook.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

4 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

There was a point when they hay day of SL was happening, we was hitting 88 to 90k people, SL would choke so bad, services would die, we'd be down for hours waiting.   I'm just happy SL has stabilized to this point. 

It still happens randomly but yes, its mostly stabilized as best as it can. I just wish they put that ad money into its infrustructure although I dont know what more they can add to SL to improve it. Its functioning on ancient havok hardware. 

3 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Oh, that explains the accent problem. :D 

Just now, Rat Luv said:

`🤬

Oh dear, I had no intention to upset you.  It wasn't a jab at London accents but a response to @Jaylinbridgessaying "usually from some British speaker with a bad accent and mumbling.  The Linden executives speak normal English".  If it helps, my late father was a Londoner.

• Like 2

Just now, Garnet Psaltery said:

Oh dear, I had no intention to upset you.  It wasn't a jab at London accents but a response to @Jaylinbridgessaying "usually from some British speaker with a bad accent and mumbling.  The Linden executives speak normal English".  If it helps, my late father was a Londoner.

It - of course - does not help at all that "normal" English simply doesn't exist. If going by country, there's American and British English - the latter of which is much older and has more of a claim to that meaningless title of "normal".

And point blank: While machine transcription (which is what YouTube's CC system now pretty much exclusively uses) is glacially slowly getting better, it is not by any means as accurate as some would like to claim/think. Not yet.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

No problem! I was just goofing around :P

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Drayke Newall said:

Odd I watched the Brett Linden one (Meet the Lindens 2021 - Brett Linden) with CC on and it was terrible. Absolutely no punctuation making it just confusing. No speaker ID's as to who was speaking and what not. No non-spoken content indications like [Laughing]. No ellipses when correcting himself, like where he is going to say understand and all he gets out is "unders..." but it reads as just "unders tech" looking like it was correct. Also in closed captions you usually never keep the "uh" or "ums" as they are unnecessary and distract from the text.

I also dont know what you are talking about with only one word being misspelled in the first 10 mins either (unless you watched the other vid you posted). Linden's is spelt Lyndon's, the recently deceased CEO is spelt "ebbieltberg". Then after that rather than saying "better known as Ebbe Linden" its reads "better known as i be lyndon" and Linden Lab is "lyndon lab". Then there is sansar spelt correctly earlier on, then, at around 9 mins it becomes "samsara" or my favourite is a few lines later sansar becomes "sensors are still around". Wookie who took over sansar are written as "wiki" then after that Linden Lab becomes "london lab".

All of the above was in the first 10mins of that video you posted. So, I will disagree with you like others have. YouTubes CC is known to be terrible and not compliant to CC codes.

Thank you.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

I've always wondered how high the percentage of "alternate" accounts is among those 70+ million registered accounts. It has to be more then 50% since each household/account is allowed a total of 5 accounts. True, not everyone has alts but of those that do many have (or have created) far more than 5. There have been a couple I created using an email I've long since forgotten so overall my total would be 7.

Even doing sloppy math the percentage rate is way, way too high.

3 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

`🤬

ABRAM: Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?
SAMPSON: (aside to GREGORY) Is the law of our side if I say “ay”?
GREGORY: (aside to SAMPSON) No.
SAMPSON: No, sir. I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir. (1.1.39–42)

Teach you to shake your fist at me! `😈

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Patch Linden doesn't use SL?  I think he would disagree with you. What a ridiculous comment that is.

Linden Lab's Executive Chairman Oberwolf Linden is new of course.  But he has been in SL using his Alt since before he assumed control.   Look for a newbie with a wolf tattoo. :)

He signed up for SL with no assistance from the SL staff to experience the same thing a new user would.  No one knew who he was as he moved around the regions asking newbie questions.  He was impressed at how helpful most Residents were.  He even offered them Lindens for helping him with a few avatar questions.  I might have spoken to him myself, since few newbies have Lindens to offer for your help, and I wondered who this 5 day old avatar with money really was.

Oberwolf (Brad) is also a neighbor to Philip Linden. Their families meet regularly.  Brad has known Philip for many years, when he was SL CEO.  His son joined SL as a teenager years ago.  He also knows something about promoting companies.  

Brett Linden has been in SL for many years.  He is trying new ideas.  Hardly an out of touch executive.

Good for them. Doesn't invalidate my comment.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1030 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.