RIP Mr Altberg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Posted this earlier in the commerce group, but figured I would post it here as well:

I didn't know Ebbe personally, but I had spoke with him once or twice though. He was a really nice guy, and I know he was really liked among his colleagues. Wish I had gotten to speak with him more though. May he rest in peace.

4 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Thank you all so much for the heartfelt sentiments, well wishes and love.  ❤️

The team is working on a permanent memorial location, as well as a temporary one within the SL18B regions.  We will hold a memorial service soon once we can project completion of the spaces a bit better coming through this weekend.

It's such a testament to Ebbe's obvious love for SL and its community that so many of us who never even met him feel this loss so strongly.

I can only imagine what a tough time this is for his family and those of you who worked with him every day, and the fact that your team is taking on even more work during this time in order to honor him is a testament as well. Big hugs to you all, thank you for the promise of a permanent memorial, and may his memory be a blessing. 

• Like 5

My most sincere condolences to LL & Mr. Altbergs family. SL comforted me during the darkest moments, Thank You so much for making SL our safe haven. Your legacy will never be fogotten😭

Edited by Jeny Howlett

Es una triste noticia. Ayuda Virtual y la comunidad de habla hispana solo tienen palabras de agradecimiento y respeto para Ebbe.
Nuestras condolencias para sus compañeros de trabajo y su familia.
¡Lo vamos a extrañar!

Very sad news. Ayuda Virtual and the Spanish-speaking community have only words of gratitude and respect for Ebbe.
Our condolences to his co-workers and his family.
We'll miss him!

SaludOS/2

• Like 2

Terribly sad to hear this :( I never had the pleasure of speaking to him personally, but he always seemed to be a lovely, genuine and enthusiastic person who really cared about our little weird corner of the internet. I think it is safe to say one of the most highly regarded CEOs since Philip left. My heart goes out to all his family and friends. xox

I only know about Ebbe from reading here in the forums. From that I've gleaned that he was an actual SLer, like the rest of us.

That he kept on working until the end speaks volumes, I think. You don't do that if you view your work as simply exchanging time and effort for money, you do it because you believe in the goals you are advancing and in the value of your participation.

We should all be so lucky as to feel that.

For those at LL Ebbe left behind, the effort is still worthwhile and unfinished and your efforts are appreciated. My condolences to everyone who has lost Ebbe as family member, friend, or teammate.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Thank you all so much for the heartfelt sentiments, well wishes and love.  ❤️

The team is working on a permanent memorial location, as well as a temporary one within the SL18B regions.  We will hold a memorial service soon once we can project completion of the spaces a bit better coming through this weekend.

I spent some time at Ebbe Tide this afternoon. I remember when the region was released. Made me always think of Ebbe whenever I encountered it. 13081209_EbbeTide.thumb.jpg.3aa6282340792b929c7f3ae24fdd3a9e.jpg

• Like 3

On 6/4/2021 at 9:55 PM, swedishfox Ghost said:

I think a statue somewhere on grid would be fitting for him.

Or a region even. I don't think there is one Altberg yet. Maybe with a Lappland theme inspired by the place he came from?

It's a sad loss for Linden Lab and Second Life and even more so for his family. 57 years is too short a life.

• Like 1

It took me some time to process his passing, it was a really heartbreaking news, and I really couldn't believe it when my friends told me what happened, even after I put out my condolences on Twitter it still felt surreal, he was just there like the other day and this all feels so sudden.

Ebbe once said in an interview how much he values freedom of expression and that he's against banning Residents as much as he can, liking it to a death penalty, when pressed by the interviewer about aspects of moderation in Second Life. That to me along with many of the things he said and did for Second Life cemented his place in my mind as a great leader for LL / SL who helped many of us believe that there is a human aspect in everything. But only in his passing did it hit me how good of a man he was, rest in peacce Ebbe

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I spent a lot of time in Sansar during 2017-2018. During that time I had the pleasure of meeting and hanging out in a group with Ebbe during many of the Atlas Hopping events coordinated and filmed by Draxtor. What impressed me so much about Ebbe was just how much he was one of us. You never would have guessed he was the CEO of Linden Lab while we were just hanging out. He had an insatiable excitement for exploring the many experiences residents had created while getting to know all of us.

But there was the other side of Ebbe where he donned that CEO cap. He had a firm grasp on the technical side of things and was able to talk with us in such a way that we really felt our suggestions and opinions mattered. This was the side of Ebbe I saw in Sansar on a few occasions, and the one I most often saw in Second Life. I'm so happy I got to know the more casual side of Ebbe as a fellow explorer in Sansar.

It's taken me days to come to grips with his passing. He was just too young! My thoughts and prayers are with his family and all those at the Lab. 

Edited by Blush Bravin
  • Like 3

I've posted about it elsewhere already, but this still hits hard for me. I never met the man, but his vision, his will to make SL a better place and who he was as a person, hearing he is gone brings me to tears - Truly we have lost one of not just the Lab's, but of Second Life's finest.

The Man. The Myth. The Linden.

Rest in peace, Ebbe.

Edited by Rathgrith027

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1066 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.