RIP Mr Altberg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

What a shock to read this news.  My condolences to his RL family and friends, and to all the LL staff.  

He was already here for a few months before I joined SL, so he was the only CEO I had any experience with.  I always enjoyed listening to his talks and interviews,  and I always felt he had a handle on understanding the issues and challenges of SL.   He will be missed. 

• Like 2

I am sorry to hear about this. The lindens do their best and by all accounts he was trying to build the legacy and grow this world. LL is a good company and headed by good people to the best of my knowledge. I often say SL is one of the most free spots on earth and it is due to people like him who enable the free exchange of ideas. There are very few companies I will brag about when using their platform, this being one of them. I am sure he will be remembered fondly. Thanks for supporting the dream and putting bridges between worlds!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

He understood that SL was unlike any other business in that the relationship between the Lab and the Residents was not purely business.  That is why we mourn his passing.  He was not just the CEO of the company.  He was, in a very real sense, one of us.

It could not have been said any better. Thank you.

I have been in mourning since the moment I read the news several hours ago. I am just sitting around on SL, staring in the distance and strongly feeling the loss of Ebbe, even though I have never even so much as seen him from a distance. He was a part of SL, brought back the openness and ambition of the early days of SL and his vision turned SL into the SL that we know today.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

Ebbe had the odd, for a CEO, habit of appearing unexpectedly inworld and one time I was in my building in Bay City and there he was looking around.  We went up to Executive Suite and sat in the boardroom to have a nice chat.  I fear I must have bored him terribly but he was gently tolerant of this old codger in the funny helmet.

He understood that SL was unlike any other business in that the relationship between the Lab and the Residents was not purely business.  That is why we mourn his passing.  He was not just the CEO of the company.  He was, in a very real sense, one of us.

I never met Ebbe in-world, but he did engage with me on Twitter and (along with others) here, in his early days with LL. He was accessible, friendly, rational, and open to new ideas. I think he was a good CEO -- and I very much have the feeling that he was a good man.

I think it says quite a lot about him, and about SL generally, that some of us are evidently feeling his loss on a personal level. We're a cantankerous, bickering, obnoxious lot sometimes, and of course enormously diverse; we are a community of communities, perhaps, rather than a very coherent group. But we are a kind of community nonetheless, in ways that, maybe, are are not true of some other online platforms?

And Ebbe understood that, and was a part of it.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 5

I feel as if someone just punched me in the stomach. Ebbe was equally infuriating, hilarious, charming, and just an absolute delight in every interaction I was lucky enough to have with him. I gave him a hard time, and he’d give it right back - always with humor and warmth and a genuinely thought out answer to whatever ridiculous thing I asked. I’m gutted by this terrible news.

@Patch Linden, I am so heartbroken for you and the entire SL family, as well as Ebbe’s family and loved ones.

💔

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

A huge loss for the entire community of sl. deep condolences to the family and to all of us who are so grateful for this great amazing world a second life, in which each of us could find our interests and endless opportunities, a world that Ebbe cherished and cared for. Many thanks for your work.

Rest in Peace, we will always remember you

So sad news.... 

Ebbe arrived as LL CEO as a blow of fresh air after the horrible dark times we had with Rodvick.

Ebbe arrived with a positive and friendly attitude (at the opposite of his predecessor). He was humble and open mind. 

Ebbe gave back SL its stability.

Ebbe made SL a better place and i will remember him for this.

Rest in Peace, Ebbe. You will be missed/

My deepest condolence to Ebbe's family and all the Linden Lab team.

• Like 1

It saddens me to hear this news. I remember when Ebbe came onboard and while I never had the opportunity to speak with him, I felt when I heard the news that he would do wonderful things for Second Life and I was happy that after all the negative stuff that happened with the CEO before him, it was indeed a breath of fresh air and wonderful things began to happen. I want to extend my condolences to his family and also his Linden family. My heart truly goes out to both of them and I wish them peace in the coming days, weeks and months to come. RIP Ebbe.

• Like 1

I never knew Ebbie, but I have appreciated SL since I have started using it and he must have played a large part with that.  I'm sorry to hear that such a great guy as well as a significant part of SL has passed on, my thoughts go out to all of you.  The stories I am reading from all of you, show that he was an amazing person and you have done well in showing the rest of us that. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1050 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.