New Website

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Nothing changed yet for me.

https://secondlife.com/

Just the same blue flying lady -  cleared browser caches, tried another browser, still nothing new.

I feel cheated 🙂

(and I was logged out)

Found the problem - I had AdBlock Plus on, which blocks the video.

That explains it as have been checking since Hamlet at NWN covered it monday. Not worth turning uBlock off for then? And why would I need to anyway for a (redacted) video? Flushes trackers again.

16 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

That video is something I've not seen before.  Not bad except that nobody's SL is going to look like that unless the person has a nice gaming computer.

Well, for an example an 8th gen intel pc with a nvidia rtx 2070 handles grafix at very hi setting at a great frame rate and ultra setting at a lot lower frame rate.

The p.c doesn't have to be the latest top end gaming system.

I just checked the website from my mobile phone (as i am currently not at a p.c) and i see the new video .. must admit i am impressed.

Edit.. i have noticed in windows 10, google chrome  plays the video, firefox and MS edge currently show the static view...

But using a comparison with real life, if you are looking for a new car, often you buy a base model, even though the car maker advertises the top of the range model.

But would it make me sign up? well... maybe, if i wanted to find out what it was about...

Edited by shireena1
Added some extra info
  • Like 1

I just get the blue fairy with Brave browser (and Chromium), even if I turn the tracker and ad protections off.  But Falkon and Firefox, and even Breaker, shows the video.

If LL paid a lot for that video, they need to fix that, or get their money back.

The video is rather good.

Edited by Anna Nova
added some other browsers that I tested.

20 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

I just get the blue fairy with Brave browser (and Chromium), even if I turn the tracker and ad protections off.  But Falkon and Firefox, and even Breaker, shows the video.

If LL paid a lot for that video, they need to fix that, or get their money back.

The video is rather good.

well there's no fixing it unless the block lists remove what's blocking the video otherwise we will have to turn things off to see it.

5 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

Nothing changed yet for me.

https://secondlife.com/

Just the same blue flying lady -  cleared browser caches, tried another browser, still nothing new.

I feel cheated (:

(and I was logged out)

Found the problem - I had AdBlock Plus on, which blocks the video.

I have turned adblock off and I still don't see it.

• Like 1

It is still there for me.
The starting point of the mp4 on the webside is the big blue eye. The person behind the laptop is only seen after the first loop is finished.

I'm on Firefox. I pretty much use it as it comes out of the box, with only a few add-ons that have nothing to do with displaying websites.

The new home page looks very well designed, even on mobile view! That is until you decide to log in and switch back to web view on your phone 😐 My inner QA screams at times at the things I see around the site, but hopefully they'll redesign to be more modernized and mobile compatible too. Aand some performance optimization would be great too!  :P

• Haha 2

In Chrome with AdBlock Plus, checking the filter "Block additional tracking" in ABP blocks the video.  Unchecking it allows the video to run with ABP still on, although that sort of defeats the purpose of AdBlock, since most websites track you, including secondlife.com it seems.

I have secondlife.com whitelisted btw - that makes no difference.

I expect many will never see the video if they have an AdBlock like plugin running.  Something LL might like to fix.

IMHO if a chunk of people find it necessary to cripple content in a browser with add-ons for whatever reason, you don't want to beat that as web developer I guess. It is those peoples choice to do so.
They miss out, but still see a decent website without the video running.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 1

Now that I seen the whole video instead of just the picture of the person dressed like an elf, it's soo much better..

When i first seen it like a week or two ago, it was just the still image..

Now that I seen where they went with it, I love it!! \o/

3 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

IMHO if a chunk of people find it necessary to cripple content in a browser with add-ons for whatever reason, you don't want to beat that as web developer I guess. It is those peoples choice to do so.
They miss out, but still see a decent website without the video running.

It shouldn't be possible to be paranoid about personal data when it comes to open source SL clients AND be gleefully happy to have a web browser randomly execute everything and anything it likes.

Seriously, if the potential for shenanigans from a handful of hobbyist programmers developing in plain sight even slightly worries, the industrial scale evil being deployed and pushed to your browser by huge teams of professionals, for some of the biggest companies on earth, with a negligent (at best) approach to ethics should keep you up at night.

• Thanks 2

The difference: My money is not involved when I browse the webpages that I do.
With my SL viewer my money is involved.
And I'm no 14 year old clicking on every link that is presented to me.
I've been around on the web since the acoustic modems where a novelty. So I guess, I know what works for me and what not.

And when I use security add-ons then I have to accept that some content will not show.
Just like I have to accept that I don't have certain options\features when not using a TPV in SL.

Edited by Sid Nagy

Ah yes, as if the still image and landing page redesign weren't bad enough ... Between the video and some of the calls to "modernize" the rest of the site it is quite clear that people are rather fine with catering the the rather vapid "Ooh Shiny" crowd .... 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1070 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.