New Website

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

You won't sell Second life with showing ban lines and desolate main land pictures on the landing page ....

It's not the desolate areas that are so bad, it's the coasts covered with 200 meter high panels with ugly sky scenes.  And from an experiential perspective, the security orbs on absentee parcels.

'On a scale of 0 to 10 how would you recommend SL to a potential new user?':  minus 7.

So marketing lies are the only option.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Still, I really am done with it. It's pretty much all cyberpunk sort of stuff, which is ok as far as it goes but I don't want to keep looking at it. Can't you just keep me logged in guys? Or have "skip intro" or something?

So just install AdBlock Plus for your browser.  It stops it cold as I mentioned before. And it's free.

https://adblockplus.org/

Edited by Jaylinbridges

5 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I was getting ready to say that the N'avi look-alike on the front page when it was static was kind of like the first part of this video, i.e. like a bad school play, but put in context with the motion and other figures, it's better.

Still, I really am done with it. It's pretty much all cyberpunk sort of stuff, which is ok as far as it goes but I don't want to keep looking at it. Can't you just keep me logged in guys? Or have "skip intro" or something?

I use my dashboard page as landing point on the website.
The home page is more for first time visitors IMHO.

And I always stay logged in. 
Is it maybe your cookie settings in the web browser or an add-on that logs you out?

Edited by Sid Nagy

19 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I only see one avatar that was based on a real person.

I imagine they hired a professional marketing/creation team without SL building experience, and there would be quite a lot to learn to build inworld and create these effects, so I bet they had to go with the skillset of the outside people they hired.

I don't know that we have a team in SL that could have pulled it all off...maybe...like the Moles...although I'm not sure some of the film editing tweaks are possible inworld. The problem is that an in-house team likely does not have RL marketing skills...and we've wanted SL to focus on RL advertising to bring people inworld for a long while.

It is too many real persons than the blue elf! And they put the avatars in the shadow.

Before the cyberpunk avatar, it is a human flashing through different costumes.

One dark skinned male, also flashing through different costumes, ending in an outfit with a helmet before it is an avatar in a helmet. It is also a closeup of the RL male in the helmet, you can see his collar flapping in the studio wind.

A dark skinned female, she morphs to a cat, but it is a RL "cats" costume with full body makeup, then comes a blue skin  SL avatar. The RL cat is perhaps the worst. It is so much better than a furry you can make in SL.

It is almost 50/50 of RL and SL, and the RL images are better than SL.

Edited by Marianne Little
typos
  • Like 1

Last post for a while.

Why not show RL people, like a guy coming home in RL, log in and work as a DJ? A woman log in to be a steampunk guy? Someone log in to be a furry? Or others to their mansion/apartment/beach or whatever home. Somebody shoveling snow in RL and then log in to a beach club.

It does not have to be super ugly RL people. Just ordinary people in jeans, not models who has had a whole team working on their makeup and costumes. Would not people connect with that? "I can change gender? I can be a DJ? That cottage with an English garden look almost like RL, here I sit in my dark apartment".

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

If this is a SL avatar that you can buy now, I will eat crow, and kudos to the creator.

It is what I can't understand... should SL be a creative outlet, why use creative RL models SL can not live up to?

cat2.png

What they did in the video was show RL versions and then SL versions..

I tried to find the video on youtube, but could only find the behind the scenes version which just shows the RL versions.

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

What they did in the video was show RL versions and then SL versions..

I tried to find the video on youtube, but could only find the behind the scenes version which just shows the RL versions.

Okay. All I see is that SL avatars is inferior to RL versions.

Common RL people can't have a whole team working on their makeup and costume, but ... does people really think about it.

There thousands of other possibilities to open a website.
But this is theirs.
Nothing more to it IMHO.
I like the video. Would I have made the same one?
Probably not, but it is still a nice video.
/ me with a deep dark ringmaster voice: Dreaming about another world, my world, your word, our world. Second Life. Come on in, and have a go.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

I've been trying to remember the last time I needed to log in to the website's main page. That would have been around 2009 when I created this account. It will be mostly newbies who see that and they are going to expect SL to look just like what they saw in the vid. They will be greatly disappointed because SL doesn't look like that and creating an avatar to resemble isn't going to be cheap. LL thinks retention is in the toilet now, give it 6 months and the rate will be zero. Sure, the vid will sucker them in but it won't keep them in. It will piss them off once they figure out they have been deceived.

To put a more personal perspective on it, I've invested 17 years, almost 2 decades, of my life to SL and I have nothing to show for it. Not even a friend. I've made an enormous investment and gotten zero return. And that is another reason LL has such a hard time with retention. Even AW offered RL t-shirts for those who wanted them. I still have 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This has been bugging me for days and I think I finally put my finger one it.

It feels like being a child silently sat in a doctors office, parent and physician having an animated conversation about what's wrong, consult the actual patient when they have decided the cause and solution only to hear something that throws everything out the window. We're about to be marched home in pain and sent to bed early for ruining mothers day. Again.

This video latches on to one fundamental part of the SL platform offering, yet completely misses the entire point of why people do or even want any of that. You can have an avatar. Avatars can be really creative, virtually unlimited (just in case you're here searching for the film avatar, avatars can be blue) and can fly (that polled well 18 years ago).

It sells the fantasy of being a meticulously dressed flying blue cyber steampunk whatever you fancy, whilst failing to acknowledge what would motivate anyone to such an aspirational end game accomplishment (lets not complicate this further with time, skill & cost of such an endeavor). 

Back in SL's boom years, we had none of this (except for the flight). We had a system avatar, some sliders, a terrible render engine and prims.

We also had friends.

A better concept would have been to ask us, all of us, the actual residents to submit pictures of their avatars. Collect thousands and thousands of pictures, montage them together in time to a raising epic score, individuals, groups, activities, sailing, shopping, dress up, linden homes, classes, clubs, content creation, building and building to a high with a single face slowly looking to the viewer and posing a question from all of us collectively : Second Life - Will you be my friend ?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I've been trying to remember the last time I needed to log in to the website's main page. That would have been around 2009 when I created this account. It will be mostly newbies who see that and they are going to expect SL to look just like what they saw in the vid. They will be greatly disappointed because SL doesn't look like that and creating an avatar to resemble isn't going to be cheap. LL thinks retention is in the toilet now, give it 6 months and the rate will be zero. Sure, the vid will sucker them in but it won't keep them in. It will piss them off once they figure out they have been deceived.

To put a more personal perspective on it, I've invested 17 years, almost 2 decades, of my life to SL and I have nothing to show for it. Not even a friend. I've made an enormous investment and gotten zero return. And that is another reason LL has such a hard time with retention. Even AW offered RL t-shirts for those who wanted them. I still have 2.

Aren't you being a bit dramatic? The SL retention rate will be zero in six months because apparently people expect everything on the internet to be the complete truth? When they do find out they will stomp their feet and quit because a promotional gaming video deceived them? I think the people that you say would be "suckered in" are smarter than that. 

You feel that you've made such an enormous investment, for 17 years and gotten nothing from it? Nothing at all?  Not even a friend? In 17 years? I find that very hard to believe if it's true how is that in any way LL fault? 

SL doesn't give away merchandise for free but they do have a store you can buy a t-shirt from if it helps justify the enormous investment that you have made getting nothing out of it year after year. I'm curious why newbies will be pissed off and quit because of a video that may have not be totally true to life yet you have been here for 17 years and have gotten nothing from it?  

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

Okay. All I see is that SL avatars is inferior to RL versions.

Common RL people can't have a whole team working on their makeup and costume, but ... does people really think about it.

Our perspective is of people that have been here for awhile.. Someone new may see the rl version of say,the elf and then see the SL version and have a total different response.. I didn't see an SL version of the cat in the video, but the steampunk guy and the elf looked really good..

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

A better concept would have been to ask us, all of us, the actual residents to submit pictures of their avatars. Collect thousands and thousands of pictures, montage them together in time to a raising epic score, individuals, groups, activities, sailing, shopping, dress up, linden homes, classes, clubs, content creation, building and building to a high with a single face slowly looking to the viewer and posing a question from all of us collectively : Second Life - Will you be my friend ?

It is simply a marketing video to get people in the door.  If you do a simple google search for second life you get exactly what you describe.  I also think that people are smart enough to see that LL is trying to get across that you can use your imagination to create anything.

https://www.google.com/search?q=second+life&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS874US874&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjOt6CDzt3wAhWPQc0KHbRxCvoQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=1536&bih=722

Has anyone gone to McDonalds and actually gotten a meal that looked like the meal on TV? Doesn't look quite as good in person as it does on the video. 

Does anyone actually think that Mr. Clean is a real person? 

The above paragraph only depicts all the good things in SL. What about the other half? The dark, nasty part of SL?  Wouldn't it also be responsible to advertise that? What happens when these same newbies get into SL and expect this rosy picture that you've just given and find all the other crap?  Isn't that deceiving them too?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

Last post for a while.

Why not show RL people, like a guy coming home in RL, log in and work as a DJ? A woman log in to be a steampunk guy? Someone log in to be a furry? Or others to their mansion/apartment/beach or whatever home. Somebody shoveling snow in RL and then log in to a beach club.

It does not have to be super ugly RL people. Just ordinary people in jeans, not models who has had a whole team working on their makeup and costumes. Would not people connect with that? "I can change gender? I can be a DJ? That cottage with an English garden look almost like RL, here I sit in my dark apartment".

Many years ago SL had adverts similar to that showing the RL face behind the SL Av some people chose to clone themselves others go wsith a completely different look

Second life

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

It is simply a marketing video to get people in the door.  If you do a simple google search for second life you get exactly what you describe.  I also think that people are smart enough to see that LL is trying to get across that you can use your imagination to create anything.

https://www.google.com/search?q=second+life&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS874US874&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjOt6CDzt3wAhWPQc0KHbRxCvoQ_AUoA3oECAEQBQ&biw=1536&bih=722

Has anyone gone to McDonalds and actually gotten a meal that looked like the meal on TV? Doesn't look quite as good in person as it does on the video. 

Does anyone actually think that Mr. Clean is a real person? 

The above paragraph only depicts all the good things in SL. What about the other half? The dark, nasty part of SL?  Wouldn't it also be responsible to advertise that? What happens when these same newbies get into SL and expect this rosy picture that you've just given and find all the other crap?  Isn't that deceiving them too?

Also to tac onto this a lot of games show cinematics or graphically enhanced versions of their games for commercials. Or have snips of the game coinciding with some real life celeb. Check out blizzard and Mr T or Blizzard and Ozzie Osbourne for instance or any p2w mobile game commercial. I don't see SL doing anything different than what a lot of other games do. I actually like this version much better than the placeholder they had before. And if we all do want more traffic in SL I don't see how this hurts. By the time new players wrap their heads around mesh bods, Heads, Bom, land and everything else, they won't remember watching the commercial anyways.

Edited by Finite
  • Like 2

I just checked out IMVU to see what their landing page was like, they also have a video showing avatars doing various things.  SL has their video beat, I mean, they really put a lot of effort into it and I appreciate that.  I won't ever really see it, unless I open it in Microsoft Edge, which I never use, and remain logged out, but I do think it looks really impressive.  

World of Warcraft also has a video on their landing page, this must be a new thing virtual worlds are doing.  SL is keeping up with the trend, and did a good job of portraying a message in a short video clip.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1063 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.