Do you own more than one plot of land? If so why?

Ingrid Ingersoll

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 960 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have "Prokofy's Spring Home," "Prokofy's Summer Home" etc. I tend to make my Linden homes a project or site in the land preserve of some kind, but a few I live in for a few weeks then dump. My "homes" on Mainland I tend to keep. But after they are decorated they lose their charm and just moving around with seasons is not enough. So I might either wipe them out and start over or more to an entirely different lot. Basically, I feel avatars are avian creatures. Cooping them up in houses is criminal. They need to fly around, perch in trees and such.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

On a technicality, yes. I own around 8,000 sqm of mainland, and though it's not one single parcel it is all in the same region. I have my strip of beach along the lakeshore,, then up the hill I have two separate 2048m parcels, one is where Club Noir is located and the other is currently occupied by Madi's alt.  As they're all in the same region the LI is pooled so I tend not to think of them as being separate.

One of my alts is premium and has a Linden Home in Bellisseria. I resisted it for a long time, until the Stilts came out, which I really liked, but he has a Victorian right now. 

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

So I might either wipe them out and start over or more to an entirely different lot. Basically, I feel avatars are avian creatures. Cooping them up in houses is criminal. They need to fly around, perch in trees and such.

Oh god, I so relate to this. I don't move from one parcel to another (I've been in the same place for nearly 12 years and I love it far too much to give it up) but I do have a habit of wiping it clean every 3-6 months and starting afresh with a new house and new landscaping. Can't say I ever perch in trees but I definitely do not like being "cooped up". Which is why my preference is mainland, not estate.

• Like 9

I am in one of my rare periods where I only have one mainland parcel, though I did recently double it's size from 2048 to 4096.  Often I have mainland, a private rental and/or a linden home, and there are times when I've had multiple mainland parcels each on different continents - sometimes they've been second homes, sometimes if they've been along a road,  they were set up as a park, a farmers market., or a cafe.  

• Like 2

No, because my budget for SL doesn't allow for more than my Premium fee and the basic 1024 that comes with it.   I've been Premium for many years and all that time I've mostly stuck with a Linden Home or with a small mainland parcel. Right now I have a Linden Home which I love so I don't think I will be going back to mainland any time soon.

However, my Linden Home doesn't have easy water access so I have recently started renting a boat slip near the Blake Sea. 

• Like 5

I have parcels at Snug Harbor, one at Fudo, one up near the Linden Village, and one on Zindra set up as public sailing\party locations. I have another parcel in Bressimo I bought to open up a sailing route across the North of Nautilus that functioned for that purpose for a couple of years but the route has been blocked again... so it is no longer really functional... but still a handy rezz area. I have a Bellisseria Houseboat set up as a cafe with around 160 prims rezzing for boats, it gets used as a cruise destination and for parties every few months. I have a tier investment in the East River Community. I contribute to my Motorcycle club too which goes towards keeping their two regions open and public. I have an art gallery on a private region. And a couple of Alts that have Bellisseria parcels they have set up as homes, although rarely use them, more to give me some flexibility and opportunity to see what the new house designs there are like. Ohh and have a parcel near a road on the atoll, I got as a handy location to take a drive around the roads.  And I nearly forgot I have a parcel on the region Rainbow Sails Yacht club owns down in Sailors Cove South to keep the region in group ownership.    

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 6

4 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

I have parcels at Snug Harbor, one at Fudo, one up near the Linden Village, and one on Zindra set up as public sailing\party locations. I have another parcel in Bressimo I bought to open up a sailing route across the North of Nautilus that functioned for that purpose for a couple of years but the route has been blocked again... so it is no longer really functional... but still a handy rezz area. I have a Bellisseria Houseboat set up as a cafe with around 160 prims rezzing for boats, it gets used as a cruise destination and for parties every few months. I have a tier investment in the East River Community. I contribute to my Motorcycle club too which goes towards keeping their two regions open and public. I have an art gallery on a private region. And a couple of Alts that have Bellisseria parcels they have set up as homes, although rarely use them, more to give me some flexibility and opportunity to see what the new house designs there are like. Ohh and have a parcel near a road on the atoll, I got as a handy location to take a drive around the roads.  And I nearly forgot I have a parcel on the region Rainbow Sails Yacht club owns down in Sailors Cove South to keep the region in group ownership.    

But do you visit all those parcels every day? every week? See, this is why I ditch Linden homes. I realize I haven't been to one in two or three weeks and I'm tiering it for nothing.

2 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But do you visit all those parcels every day? every week? See, this is why I ditch Linden homes. I realize I haven't been to one in two or three weeks and I'm tiering it for nothing.

No, but they aren't homes. All I personally need for a home is a skybox with a posestand for rezzing into, that is all I feel I need for myself.

Everything else has value to me whether I visit them or not.

Edited by Aethelwine
  • Like 9

9 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

No, but they aren't homes. All I personally need for a home is a skybox with a posestand for rezzing into, that is all I feel I need for myself.

Everything else has value to me whether I visit them or not.

I feel the same about my parcels. I visit them whenever, sometimes running through them all in one day, and sometimes leaving most of them lie for days or even weeks. My Mainland ones do not have orbs, and I know travelers pass through them, so they are not neglected. But whether I am hovering over them daily or not, each is one I like for its own particular reason, and makes me happy to have there for when I do want to visit. :) 

• Like 9

I have a LH, as well as a plot of connecting parcels, our 'estate' for my SL family group. I also collect little mainland parcels here and there that look cool, which I'll rent our or use for my business endeavors, like my gacha resale and my store for my original mesh creations. Like others have said, I really enjoy landscaping and creating pretty areas for others to explore and use. One of my SL hobbies is looking at available parcels for sale, usually for fun, but sometimes I'll find a little gem! I also sometimes sell off parcels I can no longer use to keep my tier payment manageable for my budget. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, a little late to the party here....but....

I own many plots of mainland and I use them for various different projects designed to help make the mainland cooler and more attractive. 

Right now, I'm buy up abandoned 1024 sqm parcels near Linden Roads/Waterways/Railroads, then build them out to be attractive low lag parcel. I use Linden trees/plants and theme the build to go with the sim climate, then I sell them back to residents for a reasonable cost (and a little profit for myself so I can do it again!) :) When I'm all done, I make YouTube videos about the experience and then put them on the internet.

I know... SL hobbies are weird... haha :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Well, I had some extra tier, so I went around looking for unique parcels, wanting them small enough so that I could spread the m2's I had left;  I want to have a place on every continent.  I didn't mind if they were odd-shaped parcels, but they needed to be reasonably priced.  The hardest to find was the last one:  346 m2 left before popping into the next tier level.  Nothing that small was showing up in search.  I kept floating over the yellow spots on the map, but the smallest ones were 512 m2's.  That is, until a few days ago.  I finally found something on Gaeta, an odd-little roadside-by-a-rez-zone shaped like a puzzle piece, 304 m2 at an acceptable price.  I don't yet know what I'm going to put there, or what to do with the remaining 32 m2 of tier;  Maybe a roadside shack on Gaeta IV, or an ice cream stand in Bay City.

Edited by Rabid Cheetah
  • Like 9

I have downsized now, and only have two 1024s. One houseboat in Bellesaria with a gallery to view (not buy) my art way up above it for my Premium account, and a stunning, forested with stream second 1024 in Campbell coast for my male alt, who really needed his own space. Plus a skybox above that parcel for a friend to use when she is online.

• Like 6

On 5/3/2021 at 8:56 AM, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Same! That's all I do. I don't even socialize really, but I do chat with random strangers I meet when I'm exploring because I'm a weirdo

Dude...we should totally hang out - I'm the same way. It's like 'SL Introverts Unite' - from inside our own homes or only when we are randomly exploring. Haha! 

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...

My partner and I have a Camper and a Houseboat in Bellisseria, some Snowland (which has been sadly neglected and will need some attention before winter arrives in RL) and a fishing spot in a dam lake in Atlas, some water and shore parcels in Satori for sale (also may need some re-thinking as they are not selling as fast as I’d like), and about 4 Regions on the south coast of Corsica which is a Mainland Revitalization project.  I think we might need to join forces with @Feorie Frimon’s Operation Mainland project!

• Like 10

• 5 weeks later...

I  now own a parcel on each of the non-premiumish/overpriced [Zindra, Horizons, Nautalus, Bay City] continents -- roadsides, mountaintops, oceanside, snow, and other features, as well as a Belli home, all of varying sizes and shapes.  I even turned one of them into a GTFO hub.  So if I get bored  on a given parcel, a quick tp to one of my other places takes care of that.

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

I recently picked up a mainland river front parcel on top of a high cliff. I love looking down on water. Have not had mainland in many, many years so its fun with the generous prim allowance!

Then there are the Linden Homes. *Groans*  I have a self-diagnosed illness I call Bellyitis.

I simply cannot give up some amazing parcels I have landed since Belli started. Even though I don't live in them, I can't give them up. I love decorating and redecorating them, and when I let a pretty good one go, I always regret it. A few days ago I upped yet another alt to search for the perfect Fantasy parcel (even though I hate the tiny windows).

Like I said, Bellyitis.  🥴

Edited by Eirynne Sieyes
  • Like 5
  • Haha 3

I own land mainly to keep things of value open to the community. I have:

• A small marina that provides a rezzing area with space for helicopters and boats near Mare Secundus;
  • A large area in Koss setup as a nature preserve with old buildings overlooking Lake Zermatt in the snowlands, which also becomes a community holiday celebration area from Thanksgiving through the New Year;
  • Two airports (one I co-own, the other I own outright); and
  • A museum I'm launching for a much beloved art colony that is still in existence in name, but most of the community and the artists have left. 

Apart from my own house in Bellisseria, that's the main stuff. It's all open to the public and intended for the public to enjoy. No ban lines and no security orbs. A ban is a pretty rare thing. 

• Like 6

Tier cut...

My main plot has an oddball size and no matter how I manage it there's need to either bump up tier to 1700 more than I need, or have a second premium account...

I recently cut down all my premium accounts to just one, so that left me needing to bump to the next tier allotment. I had owned a 480-something plot on M-rated mainland, because even with an alt that had a second linden home I still had a weird tier round off... but with a LOT of left over tier now, I got a second A-rated plot by the road on the opposite side of Zindra, and made it a public 'rezzing spot' with a pile of unlocked vehicles people could drive off with (they get auto-replaced if missing for more than 3 minutes). Which is the same kind of plot I had on "M" land before, only now on a bigger "A rated" plot.

I also have a linden home. If I were to cut out my linden home I might be able to also toss the roadside and drop down a tier ranking, but my linden home is in one of the best locations in all of SL for sailing so... not happening.

• Like 4

On 5/14/2021 at 3:12 PM, Prokofy Neva said:

I feel avatars are avian creatures. Cooping them up in houses is criminal. They need to fly around, perch in trees and such.

Random memory:

This reminds me of my first ever "sim crossing glitch" when I was a newbie back in 2009. I got stuck in that problem where you avatar floats off in the air at an angle while the ground rushes by. I didn't know what was happening so just went with it for a bit...

When my viewer snapped back to under control (somehow I didn't crash), I found my avatar standing many regions away...

On a telephone wire, next to a pile of crows the builder had rezzed on that wire.

I so wish I had thought to screenshot it. It occurred to me that I had a perfect screenshot about 10 seconds later right after I hit the 'home' button... oops.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Someone bought a parcel of land next to me to plant a vineyard. All they put on the parcel are grape vines and a small shed at the end to store the juice. They live on an island about 6 sims away and travel by boat each day to work on the grape vines.  After 14 years, I'd thought I'd seen it all.  Gotta love SL. 🙂

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 960 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.