If people did in real life as they do in Second Life ...

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

"Only in SL do people ask why their shoes are stuck on their butt". 

There are a lot of fun things that happen in SL - like falling out of your skybox in a sailing boat. But there are also some practices which are a bit less charming, but that are part of everyday (second) life to us. Today I came across two things that made me think 'that would never fly in real life'.

The first was just a thought I had whilst trying on some clothes. I saw the 'fatpack exclusives' section of the demo HUD and thought .. In real life, when you buy clothes, you almost always only get them in one colour (except things like socks or T-shirts). What would people do if a store said 'here, look at these new trousers we added to our collection - you can have them in any colour you want! But if you want them in burgundy or black, you need to buy them in 42 different colours, of course with a small discount for buying in bulk!'. That company would immediately turn into a social media dumpster fire.

The second thing was prompted by me seeing something I am absolutely going to have to get both Neph and Mina - anti-spankers. You know how people pop into clubs (or just, stores, events, or anywhere there's people) and click up on spankers for attention and how absolutely gross those pitiful excuses for human beings are? Anti-spankers gives them something to click on when they feel up your virtual posterior; a very public alert that they tried to have at you uninvited. If you did anything like that in real life, meandering about in a club pinching or smacking people's rears to try getting their attention, you'd be out on your ears and quite probably find yourself in a very heated situation, all cuffed up by uniformed people .. Though not in the happy-fun-times sort of way.

What other common SL conventions wouldn't fly in real life?

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

you can have them in any colour you want! But if you want them in burgundy or black, you need to buy them in 42 different colours, of course with a small discount for buying in bulk!'.

We actually cannot have any color we want unless we make it ourselves.  Addam's just had a 50% off sale.  I didn't go for but one fatpack because I don't like their greens nor their yellow or orange and they have way more "reds" than they need and I am mostly a burgundy or cherry red person for my reds.  But, I got 3 items in colors I like for 375 linden instead of 750 lindens.  YAY!  I'd love to see Mauve introduced into more fatpacks plus other more subtle colors.  I used to oil paint so I am particular about colors and for my paintings always mixed my colors, never used them straight out of the tube.

But, still for black or burgundy, that is a selling gimmick that, to me, would scare people away not lure them in.  

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Anti-spankers gives them something to click on when they feel up your virtual posterior; a very public alert that they tried to have at you uninvited. If you did anything like that in real life, meandering about in a club pinching or smacking people's rears to try getting their attention, you'd be out on your ears 

I never liked those spanker things but I put up with it.  However, that is one thing about hanging around with the tinies, no spankers.  YAY!  But, we do use a lot of gesture with sounds but most of us think they are very cleaver gestures and funny.  It's not the "boobies" kind of gestures that tinies use, at least they have some creativity in them. 

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

What other common SL conventions wouldn't fly in real life?

I don't like those faces the avi's make during slex.  If a rl person made those faces I'd probably be just as turned off as I am in SL because of those face animations.  That, and probably talking during sex in rl would make me get up and leave.  

• Like 3

• "No refunds except in the case of duplicate purchase". No RL company would ever get away with a sales policy like that. They'd be shut down quicker than you can say "lawsuit".
  • Clubs with no entry fee and no bar with which to make profit by marking-up the price of drinks. And relying solely on "donations" from customers to survive. A RL club on that business model wouldn't last two nights.
  • A t-shirt that costs the same as two week's rent on your house. And you worry that the rent is too high but you don't worry about the price of the t-shirt...
  • Like 12

Having sex and one of the people start talking from the point of view of their sex organs -- sex organs are not supposed to talk.  Depending on how well you know the person and how comedic the person typically is, it might just be a hilarious moment, but likely it would just be weird and the person would go on the 'never contact again' list.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

32 minutes ago, Mortified Wanderer said:

I'm gonna need an anti-spanker myself.. I wonder if there is one for the chest too...

Seems pretty trivial, just create an invisible thing and put a touch-say script inside, like this one.

{
   touch_start(integer i)
   {
     string toucher_name = " secondlife:///app/agent/"+(string)llDetectedKey(0)+"/inspect ";
     llShout(0,"Don't touch me,"+toucher_name+"!");
   }
}

For added effect, rename the object to your display name.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

39 minutes ago, Mortified Wanderer said:

I'm gonna need an anti-spanker myself.. I wonder if there is one for the chest too...

I'm thinking of making my own, it should be manageable. Just rez a prim, find a 'say on click' script, put the text into the script, put the script in the prim, make the prim invisible, attach the prim and position it to cover your rear and/or chest. 

"<name of perv> tried to fondle my butt and was promptly slapped silly. The security cam footage will be submitted along with the sexual harassment AR". 

Edit: What @Quistessa posted half a second before I hit submit. 

Edited by Orwar
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I'm thinking of making my own, it should be manageable. Just rez a prim, find a 'say on click' script, put the text into the script, put the script in the prim, make the prim invisible, attach the prim and position it to cover your rear and/or chest. 

"<name of perv> tried to fondle my butt and was promptly slapped silly. The security cam footage will be submitted along with the sexual harassment AR". 

I usually *turns slowly, gives a sweet smile and knees you in the groin*.  Could be why I have less than 10 friends?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

20 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I'm not saying I own a spanker

But if I did

(Hypothetically speaking)

I could just swap out the emote, sound and animation for anything I choose, and have it still appear as a legit spanker by anyone using an attachment scraper. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I could just swap out the emote, sound and animation for anything I choose, and have it still appear as a legit spanker by anyone using an attachment scraper.

People use those to find them? I usually just press Ctrl + Alt + T to see transparent objects (usually to figure out who is wearing a face light so I can put them on my no fly list) and tend to get distracted by people wearing invisible balls all over their private bits.

But yes .. I should probably name it something less conspicuous than '[Furlgrimr] Touch My A.S.S' ('Anti-Spank-System'). .. .. .. No, I should name it just that and leave the bracketed bit out of the object name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

Seems pretty trivial, just create an invisible thing and put a touch-say script inside, like this one.

{
   touch_start(integer i)
   {
     string toucher_name = " secondlife:///app/agent/"+(string)llDetectedKey(0)+"/inspect ";
   }
}

stealing this, Thanks!

52 minutes ago, Quistessa said:

{
   touch_start(integer i)
   {
   }
}

My Type Thats My Type GIF - MyType ThatsMyType Saweetie - Discover & Share  GIFs

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

"Only in SL do people ask why their shoes are stuck on their butt". 

In real life, people generally know why their shoes are stuck on / up their butt.

• Haha 3

Just now, Ardy Lay said:

In real life, people generally know why their shoes are stuck on / up their butt.

"I slipped and fell."

58 minutes ago, Orwar said:

With my luck I would be the one tossed out and not the avatar that did the spanking !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

Reading from a  script.. (emoting?)  while having sex in RL ..

Imagine going '(( Woah, that pose was not quite what I expected from the menu! ))' in RL ..

1 hour ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

.. and, if my pregger sister's tummy started talking, I would be looking for an exorcist!

A friend has the Love Moma (?) body that has a little person inside of it. It grows and is moved as things progress, and the tummy grows around it - until it didn't, and I saw an arm peeking out from her trousers .. It felt like that scene in Alien.

tenor.gif

.. (though I think that gif is from Space Balls). 

• Haha 6
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Imagine going '(( Woah, that pose was not quite what I expected from the menu! ))' in RL ..

A friend has the Love Moma (?) body that has a little person inside of it. It grows and is moved as things progress, and the tummy grows around it - until it didn't, and I saw an arm peeking out from her trousers .. It felt like that scene in Alien.

tenor.gif

.. (though I think that gif is from Space Balls). 

Some of the sl poses are impossible in rl without an elaborate block and tackle system 😉 and yeh, Space Balls a lot funnier than Alien. It's on Hulu so I know what I'm watching (again) tonight.

• Like 1

Just now, Walelu Summerwind said:

Some of the sl poses are impossible in rl without an elaborate block and tackle system 😉

.. Or with a spine .. I've had bendy partners, but not quite -that- bendy. 

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1135 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.