If people did in real life as they do in Second Life ...

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I could just swap out the emote, sound and animation for anything I choose, and have it still appear as a legit spanker by anyone using an attachment scraper.

Off topic, but perhaps the spanker that you totally don't own is customizable, but too many things in SL are stupidly no-mod. . . I guess people do that in RL as well to a degree, but imagine if you bought a house in RL and weren't allowed to paint the walls . . .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Orwar said:

"Only in SL do people ask why their shoes are stuck on their butt". 

There are a lot of fun things that happen in SL - like falling out of your skybox in a sailing boat. But there are also some practices which are a bit less charming, but that are part of everyday (second) life to us. Today I came across two things that made me think 'that would never fly in real life'.

The first was just a thought I had whilst trying on some clothes. I saw the 'fatpack exclusives' section of the demo HUD and thought .. In real life, when you buy clothes, you almost always only get them in one colour (except things like socks or T-shirts). What would people do if a store said 'here, look at these new trousers we added to our collection - you can have them in any colour you want! But if you want them in burgundy or black, you need to buy them in 42 different colours, of course with a small discount for buying in bulk!'. That company would immediately turn into a social media dumpster fire.

The second thing was prompted by me seeing something I am absolutely going to have to get both Neph and Mina - anti-spankers. You know how people pop into clubs (or just, stores, events, or anywhere there's people) and click up on spankers for attention and how absolutely gross those pitiful excuses for human beings are? Anti-spankers gives them something to click on when they feel up your virtual posterior; a very public alert that they tried to have at you uninvited. If you did anything like that in real life, meandering about in a club pinching or smacking people's rears to try getting their attention, you'd be out on your ears and quite probably find yourself in a very heated situation, all cuffed up by uniformed people .. Though not in the happy-fun-times sort of way.

What other common SL conventions wouldn't fly in real life?

I was looking for this scarf I wanted to give my daughter and I thought to myself, "I need to put that on transfer." Then I had a piece of fabric and I thought, "This needs to go 70% transparent". It's that turning a corner in a perfect square that lets me know I've been on too long, however.

• Haha 1

Unsolicited hugs and kisses. Maybe toss in an occasional "babe", "sweetheart" or an unusual nick-name and comment how well certain parts of the body looks on your work colleague .

While for the most part, it's overlooked in SL, try that next week at work. Wait for the conference between you, your supervisor and H.R..

Edited by Jerilynn Lemon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rat Luv said:

It'd be good for lawyers. "My client wasn't breaking and entering! Just exploring" :)

Imagine having someone just materialise inside your house while you're there, doing anything at all. Yikes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

My water rates would go up 500000000%

My Toilets.png

Who cares about water rates. I would be more concerned with medical bills with that toilet having fire coming out of it! 😱

3 hours ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

People will be married and divorced and remarried every week, or every other day. Only $10 for the marriage and $25 for the divorce.

Isn't that a normal month in Las Vegas?

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Imagine having someone just materialise inside your house while you're there, doing anything at all. Yikes.

“Oops sorry outdated landmark!” says the apparition that manifested itself in the middle of your bathroom while you sit in the toilet, totally bewildered. Scary!

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Yuumo Ichibara said:

“Oops sorry outdated landmark!” says the apparition that manifested itself in the middle of your bathroom while you sit in the toilet, totally bewildered. Scary!

Or Hercules falling out of the sky and landing in the middle of your bed,  while the bed is occupied by a two backed animal.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Adrian Rowley said:

We should all walk with a profile stuck to our foreheads

Usually said by people with blank profiles.  We don't HAVE profiles in RL.  Oh wait, we do.  Facebook and most dating apps?  If someone can't take a few moments to say something about themselves, I can't be bothered to ask.  I often find the people saying the above also don't want people IMing with just "Hi".  Need something to start a conversation with beside, well, nothing.

14 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Usually said by people with blank profiles.  We don't HAVE profiles in RL.  Oh wait, we do.  Facebook and most dating apps?  If someone can't take a few moments to say something about themselves, I can't be bothered to ask.  I often find the people saying the above also don't want people IMing with just "Hi".  Need something to start a conversation with beside, well, nothing.

It's feast or famine with the profiles. Either you get someone that doesn't read them and does the thing you might've said you don't like right off the bat

or

You get the person that tries too hard and says something really stupid

*ding ding*

Random: FRANKFURTER!

You: What?

Random: You said say something interesting in your profile. So there's something interesting!

*closes box*

• Haha 1

If people act in RL like they do is SL we see tons of people locked up or have a bashed in face, ok that was a little extreme but some of these people act like a 5 year old that just ate a clothes washing tablet. The stuff people say and do at times blows me away, knowing a LARGE part of SL are over 40...the stats show over 50% of SLers are 40 and up (me included) and act like this online.

Edited by TheDarkhand

A bit of anatomy stuff

Something for the male audience:
    - Having a certain attribute with the size of an arm or a leg will definitely cause them to faint or die from blood loss

Something for the female audience:

- Having breasts larger than beach ball causes immense back pain and can even damage the spine

:P

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aiyumei said:

Something for the male audience:
    - Having a certain attribute with the size of an arm or a leg will definitely cause them to faint or die from blood loss

Oh, shoot - we're supposed to be bipedal, not tripedal?! :P

3 hours ago, Aiyumei said:

A bit of anatomy stuff

The long, thin necks of many avatars often make me think about how they'd break their necks trying to hold their heads upright ..

The short, stubby arms of many avatars often make me think how they'd smell terribly due to their anatomy disabling them from wiping their own butts ..

On 4/20/2021 at 8:28 AM, Orwar said:

"Only in SL do people ask why their shoes are stuck on their butt". 

There are a lot of fun things that happen in SL - like falling out of your skybox in a sailing boat. But there are also some practices which are a bit less charming, but that are part of everyday (second) life to us. Today I came across two things that made me think 'that would never fly in real life'.

The first was just a thought I had whilst trying on some clothes. I saw the 'fatpack exclusives' section of the demo HUD and thought .. In real life, when you buy clothes, you almost always only get them in one colour (except things like socks or T-shirts). What would people do if a store said 'here, look at these new trousers we added to our collection - you can have them in any colour you want! But if you want them in burgundy or black, you need to buy them in 42 different colours, of course with a small discount for buying in bulk!'. That company would immediately turn into a social media dumpster fire.

The second thing was prompted by me seeing something I am absolutely going to have to get both Neph and Mina - anti-spankers. You know how people pop into clubs (or just, stores, events, or anywhere there's people) and click up on spankers for attention and how absolutely gross those pitiful excuses for human beings are? Anti-spankers gives them something to click on when they feel up your virtual posterior; a very public alert that they tried to have at you uninvited. If you did anything like that in real life, meandering about in a club pinching or smacking people's rears to try getting their attention, you'd be out on your ears and quite probably find yourself in a very heated situation, all cuffed up by uniformed people .. Though not in the happy-fun-times sort of way.

What other common SL conventions wouldn't fly in real life?

I've threatened my kids with a foot up the rear a few times..

Boys!! If ya don't knock it off , you're gonna get my foot up your rears! \o/

Never had to really do it though..

hehehehe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1096 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.