The Anti-Valentine's Day Thread

Scylla Rhiadra

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I woke up the inkjet printer. After an hour of nozzle-wipes and cleans it still said Nyet, si I stuck with what I'd got.

Time for some new cartridges?  *stares at the new box of cartridges, that have been sitting on her desk for two weeks, for a moment.... maybe later*

It's true that sometimes things are better late than never, especially if it's something that was hand made. 😉

I don't celebrate holidays, so there's nothing special about my general ignorance of V-Day. There are a few special days I observe every year, for practical reasons:

1) Furnace Filter Change Day, as marked by my furnace's fancy thermostat.

2) Autumnal/Vernal Equinoxes, which afford me the opportunity to verify that the road north of my house still runs due East/West. I love watching the sun set on the centerline (I ain't waking before sunrise for anything.)

3) CST/DST switchover, during which I move the hands on my grandfather clock, the only one in the house not connected to the Internet. I also use this day to check and replace batteries in my CO/Smoke detectors.

4) April 15, because no American wants to forget to send gifts to the IRS.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't celebrate holidays, so there's nothing special about my general ignorance of V-Day. There are a few special days I observe every year, for practical reasons:

1) Furnace Filter Change Day, as marked by my furnace's fancy thermostat.

2) Autumnal/Vernal Equinoxes, which afford me the opportunity to verify that the road north of my house still runs due East/West. I love watching the sun set on the centerline (I ain't waking before sunrise for anything.)

3) CST/DST switchover, during which I move the hands on my grandfather clock, the only one in the house not connected to the Internet. I also use this day to check and replace batteries in my CO/Smoke detectors.

4) April 15, because no American wants to forget to send gifts to the IRS.

*pours a bucket of water over your head*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, February 14 is a very special day for me. Love is in focus (even in it's less mature forms for some).

But it's a special day for me also because it's the day one year ago I signed my contract to know a deeper kind of love....literally I had to sign it and snail mail the signed form to the meditation organization I belong to. Amazing that I initially made this commitment on the 'day of love'.  And today, I will recommit with a yearly ceremony.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think these look really lovely!

The issue, so far as I'm concerned anyway, isn't the making and selling of things with a Valentine's Day theme -- or, as in your case, just referencing "love." Love is a good thing!

It's the barrage of media messages and marketing around the holiday, and the implicit message that if you don't have a "valentine," then, really, you're kind of a loser.

I don't see any of that in play here. These are just nice decorative objects.

Yes, the LOVE pillows I felt a single could purchase and decorate with also as they are kind of retro and sort of "hippie days" inspired and for any time really or singles, the same with the cupids.  The thing about Shabby Chic is it tells a story, the cupids have a bit of a broken leg and a broken wing...it's a bittersweet tale with Shabby Chic often that can be about family, friends, lovers, memories of that which was made up of moments of one's life.  The French are very romantic at heart and cherubs have always been a large part of their decorating.  I am a romantic but I don't think I am too terribly sappy as a romantic though.  But, after 26 years of two relationships one right after the other, I love being single.  I would buy a love pillow for me for instance.  There is no reason to have to have a partner to remember LOVE, as we are daughters, sisters, Mom's, cat Mom's, friends and we have those kinds of love too.   I don't see myself as a loser because I choose to be single.  If I choose to have a rl boyfriend, it would have to be occasional, nothing too serious.

• Like 3

Why has love forsaken us?
I think of all the people I have loved,
even just here on Second Life.

There were so many lovers,
but they couldn't hear my voice, it was trapped within.

Where did they all go?
What happened to that world?

It terrifies me that the world just ended.
Did they all end too?

Did it just vaporize under the glare of these last five years?
Did they just stop believing in the things that brought us together?

Did they liquidate their life in the fandom?
Did they abscond from the rainbow community?

To be divided and to follow deception
wherever its madness leads them.

Off into the void of darkness,
mysterious loss, purpose obscure.

Not having a past.
Your past being dead.

To endure only to be haunted
by what the universe had intended.

Consequence delivered,
but the address was wrong.

Edited by Chroma Starlight
heartbeat edit
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Valentine's Day aka Greeting Card marketing!

I think Hallmark has went bankrupt one time before.  I can't quite remember.  But, it's way struggling now with COVID.  So many businesses eroding every single day.  My favorite were Mother's Day cards though as my Mom saved every single one of those.  They were getting a bit pricey though with some cards 5 or 6 dollars for one card which is kinda nuts.  

List of Hallmark Stores that will be closing in 2020?
  • Nevada (Las Vegas/Reno)
  • California (LA/SF)
  • New York (NYC)
  • Tennessee (Nashville)
  • Maryland (all)
  • Texas (Dallas/Houston)
  • Florida (all)
  • Ohio (all)
Nov 18, 2020
Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Time for some new cartridges?

They were new the last time I used it, which was actually far too long ago, I'd forgotten that you either need to use the printer once a week or else take out the cartridges and wrap them in cling-film. I had some new ones but just couldn't find where I'd moved them to when I found where I thought they'd be they weren't.

When lockdown ends I'm going to take a long holiday somewhere warm. Like that African country, Geriatria.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

They were new the last time I used it, which was actually far too long ago, I'd forgotten that you either need to use the printer once a week or else take out the cartridges and wrap them in cling-film. I had some new ones but just couldn't find where I'd moved them to when I found where I thought they'd be they weren't.

When lockdown ends I'm going to take a long holiday somewhere warm. Like that African country, Geriatria.

I hadn't used up all mine either when the cartridges dried up. No amount of nozzle cleaning, etc is going to cure that problem. lol I have had it happen within a week or two of replacing the old so it's worth a shot.

I wish I had the money just to take a holiday. 😊

• Like 1

It's a bit like New Year's Eve isn't it? Everyone expects you to have non-stop fun and really be into it, but on the actual day or night it's...meh  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But Halloween and Mardi Gras are always brilliant :D

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 1

On New Years Eve I'd much rather be in bed than have a dreary wait for midnight.

Valentines day we more or less ignore. I've probably only had three valentines cards in my life. The whole thing is over-hyped.

Here in Yorkshire we are known for thriftiness, and we re-use birthday and Christmas Cards to save money.....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

In the US, for a few decades at least, there have been V-Day cards for friends, grandparents, parents, even your dog. It's all about the money, not love.

I do like reading the funny ones.. If I go into a store, I could be at the cards for a little bit just looking at the funny cards..

Funny-Valentines-Cards-for-him-2.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Ah, Valentine's. The gunshot that sets off the season of suicide.

I largely agree with Scylla's OP (!), although I do think that it's something anyone with the IQ to twist a door knob should resent aggressively. It's a modern event, started off by stores to sell off leftover candy from the Christmas season that has just spun out of control - I'm not miffed with it because it's a 'capitalist ploy', but I do abhor how wholeheartedly (tehe) the mainstream media has swallowed it and how aggressively it is advertised, and how that in turn has created a social convention wherein people are expected to show their affections through materialistic means. Chocolate, flowers, and shoddy cards does not mean 'I love you', it means 'I'm expected to buy you these, else you may get upset because society tells you to expect that I do'. And people proposing on Valentine's? That's probably the least romantic thing you'll find outside of a medieval cesspit. 

But I'm not kidding about the season of suicide. For anyone who's unhappily single, Valentine's is a slap in the face - enough to create a spike in the statistics over people who choose put themselves out of their miseries. Valentine's should be banned. If you want to make a gesture of affection to someone you're in love with, there are 363 other days each year that are perfectly fine for doing so.

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

Those of us in the Chicago Diaspora have long had a solution for the ever present hearts and flower.  We celebrate Massacre Day, in honor of the loyal minions of St. Al Capone doing execution upon the deceitful and vile sellers of bad beer beer, the Moran gang.

The last time i went passed where that happened, it was a parking lot..

You would think they would save something like that nowadays, but back then it was probably just a bad reminder.. I wonder when they tore it down..

Also, someone told me the section of the wall with the bullet hits was saved and taken somewhere for a museum.

• Like 1

Ah hell yeah, a thread for me. As someone with many horrid experiences with people I can safely say ***** this 'holiday'. "Good for you buddy! See ya next time you're single! Because let's face it, most relationships are superficial (just like how commercialized this holiday is) and people are just very shallow and primitive, and won't last". Besides that, it's sappy and makes me gag.

Enough of the cheese and cliches already.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1322 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.