Marketplace vs Inworld Shopping

AdminGirl

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I used to decide between mp and inworld based on whim, but recently decided to find a more strategic approach. Obviously if one was cheaper than the other, I'd go for the cheaper option, but if something costs the same inworld as it does on mp, what are some other considerations you make for choosing one over the other? What are your preferences?

3 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

I used to decide between mp and inworld based on whim, but recently decided to find a more strategic approach. Obviously if one was cheaper than the other, I'd go for the cheaper option, but if something costs the same inworld as it does on mp, what are some other considerations you make for choosing one over the other? What are your preferences?

If it is content like furniture or landscaping items, always inworld because I got to demo.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used to always buy through MP because I hate trying to get into stores, the annoyance of dealing with morons begging or hitting on anything female, and it was just nice to stay on my skypad and shop.  Then I realised I was missing out on SO MUCH store credit, especially from a certain berry store by shopping this way.  These days I tend to grab demos from MP for hair stores so I don't have to battle my way there, then go home to demo and then battle my way back etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I used to always buy through MP because I hate trying to get into stores, the annoyance of dealing with morons begging or hitting on anything female, and it was just nice to stay on my skypad and shop.  Then I realised I was missing out on SO MUCH store credit, especially from a certain berry store by shopping this way.  These days I tend to grab demos from MP for hair stores so I don't have to battle my way there, then go home to demo and then battle my way back etc.

Ah yes, battle.. that's what shopping feels like sometimes.

Totally forgot about the store credits point!

I like that (now rather old-fashioned?) feel of walking around the shop and browsing the goods for "real", and yes, the store credit is often worth pursuing. I have to chuckle though when this message arrives; "Spend another L$29,701 and get 5% discount on all future purchases in store"!

Anyway, with the way the likes of Amazon, and large retail outfits' websites, are scooping up all sales these days, Second Life might become the only place to re-live that quaint in-store shopping experience! 

• Like 3

I prefer buying stuff on the MP. Too many stores are difficult to navigate or even difficult to find. And inworld shopping requires me to already know where I can buy something. The text field encourages easy description of an item, so I don't have to take out the magnifier, to search some vendor picture for useful information about the product.

The only reasons to go inworld shopping for me are:

- cheaper prices / group advantages

- something not bein available on the MP

- seeing and testing buildings and furniture before buying

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

If the inworld store doesn't offer redelivery but the MP items have it turned on then I will choose MP over inworld.  I generally favour inworld shopping though but often use MP for browsing before going.  In addition I often find that there are discounts or sales events inworld that do not get applied to MP.

Redelivery is a big factor for me. I'm still a bit untrusting towards inworld redelivery though because sometimes not everything shows up and not too long ago, a creator's redelivery scripts got messed up or stopped working and everyone's purchase history got wiped 😥

12 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

I prefer buying stuff on the MP. Too many stores are difficult to navigate or even difficult to find.

That and laggy builds!

• Like 1

Store credit is one reason that makes me shop inworld. Or the store don't sell on the MP. Or it is cheaper inworld. That was 3 reasons.

Edit: I forgot about seeing a build or furniture inworld. But I often shop at the MP anyway. For the reason of safety - feels safer to have it in the MP history and getting a redelivery from there.

Shopping on the MP has a big benefit, I am told I have already bought that, so I don't make double purchases. I did that in the inworld Fancy Decor sale last weekend.... 😒

And I don't like lag and searching for things in stores. But area search helps me a lot there.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

Redelivery is a big factor for me. I'm still a bit untrusting towards inworld redelivery though because sometimes not everything shows up and not too long ago, a creator's redelivery scripts got messed up or stopped working and everyone's purchase history got wiped 😥

I agree with this 100%  This is why I would love it if LL were able to create a universal redelivery system that allowed redelivery of any copy items you have ever bought inworld or MP.  Sadly, the fact that MP merchants are able to opt-out of MP redelivery is such a shame and seems to indicate that it wouldn't be a universal system at all.  I believe it should be mandatory for copy items.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
Clarification
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

That and laggy builds!

Oh yes! Although I do like wandering around the store, some stores are just not viable to do that. The way the vendor boards are laid out can make a huge difference. I often move into an area, then cam around that section. Some layouts make that very difficult, others a joy. I also avoid stores that are permanently packed with avatars - usually because there are a load of Lucky Letter boards and special offers. Throw in a bunch of people buying, unpacking and trying on demos and the server will be on its knees trying to keep running and its unlikely that walking around is even possible. Time to use the MP instead. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

I agree with this 100%  This is why I would love it if LL were able to create a universal redelivery system that allowed redelivery of any copy items you have ever bought inworld or MP.  Sadly, the fact that MP merchants are able to opt-out of MP redelivery is such a shame and seems to indicate that it wouldn't be a universal system at all.  I believe it should be mandatory for copy items.

Yeah agreed. I thought about how product updates impact MP redelivery as well. Inworld, sometimes you get an automatic delivery of updates... sometimes. But on MP, the seller might not even update their listing for the update to be redelivered.

And I think it would be great if you can get a redelivery via a link on the MP product page, rather than wait a million years that it takes to process a search in your order history.

• Like 1

Stores are better IMO. It's the point of a virtual world to go inworld! 

But MP is quicker to find items and the search is better than inworld. So maybe MP. 

But MP doesn't have Midnight Mania. I can't decide? 

Edited by Rat Luv
I forgot it was called Midnight Mania
  • Like 2

If I'm looking for something specific/really cheap or shopping for alts i use the Marketplace otherwise with the abundance of inworld regular events and weekend shopping events i shop a lot inworld. With the Marketplace i'll put things in wishlist/favourites to buy at a later date and almost never do if i shop inworld i'm far more likely to part with my hard earned L$

4 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

If it is content like furniture or landscaping items, always inworld because I got to demo.  

I offer DEMOS of my furniture.  I think others should too.  It's a good idea for furniture.  Landscaping, one store I use often, could even do demos also.

For me, it's about 90% MP because of time and convenience.  Inworld for landscaping though.   

As far as the "it's a world, shop in the world" I understand that but time is not on my side lately.  Just not enough time to do it.  I would love if more creator's would put furniture DEMOS on MP.   

EDIT:   Yesh, I offer DEMOS of MOST of my furniture.  I will eventually update ALL my furniture to have DEMOS on MP.  I think others should too.

Edited by FairreLilette

I mostly shop on the MP - mainly because I'm not just casually browsing, but because I search for something oddly specific and are likely to be in the middle of an outfit/background build.
I do prefer to go shopping with other people, tho. Then it becomes a more social event. 
There are some exeptions for that, like when the items I want isn't on the mp, or it's a shop I buy a lot from, then I'm there to be tempted into getting something else alongside the item I came for, lol.

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

EDIT:   Yesh, I offer DEMOS of MOST of my furniture.  I will eventually update ALL my furniture to have DEMOS on MP.  I think others should too.

Wow good for you Fairre. Must be a lot of work. I've only come across one mp store that offered furniture demos that you can add to your cart.

If it's not too hard to find in the store, going inworld to see demos is fine. Problem is not every item stays on display inworld. Older stuff are mp only which I guess means buy at your own risk.

I don't enjoy shopping much.  It's something I do when I need something specific, or on those rare occasions when the mood strikes me, but otherwise it's low on my list of Fun Ways To Spend My Time.  I tend to use Marketplace as a quick way to see what's likely to be available, and then visit the in-world store to see what things look like "live".  I very rarely need redelivery, so that's not much of an issue. Group discounts aren't much of an incentive for me either.

MP I find the search engine is very flawed. When searching relevancy it can be difficult to decipher between old and new products. I always laugh when I see negative reviews posted recently on items made in 2012. And you can't search newer products without sacrificing relevancy. Also there doesn't seem to be any algorithm in the ads posted on there. I wish it would populate ads based on things I might be interested in. 

I recently started attending events for my shopping needs. I think this is the best way to find new items and vendors you may not have heard or thought of before. It's also a more exciting shopping experience. They are usually full for the first couple of days but usually last a couple weeks so tend to be easier to navigate later on in the event. Sometimes they offer unique items that are exclusive to that event as well. 

Edited by Ultimo Constantineau
  • Like 1

I shop primarily through the marketplace, it's simply more convenient. That said, if I'm buying furniture or animations I always check for an in-world store so I can preview before I buy. The marketplace finally supports redelivering items, too, which is a big plus.

Of course, the marketplace has it's drawbacks. LL has been improving it lately, but those improvements come slowly. Hopefully LL will continue to work on making the marketplace a better shopping experience.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1344 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.