Curiosity about why people are here in the forums.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

51 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

That's so true, Drake.  One might say the old Forums were a safety valve for us.  When we couldn't get into Second Life, at least we could still talk about it!

I always liked those days to the point that it was almost sad to see the grid come back up.. Because so many people would head back in..

It was like, Omg this is so much fun, Hey where you guys going!? \o/

• Like 6

I came to the original forums in 2007 for the sole purpose of spamming links and advertising my new magazine (at the time). I didn’t know you couldn’t do it (I’m sure SOMEBODY snitched me out to the people lol).  

I stuck around made a bunch of friends and enemies. One of my biggest enemies became a good friend. (I joined the Forum Cartel Lol). I hope he’s doing all right. I haven’t asked, dreading the answer really. He was always kind of sickly. 

The forums are home to a good community. The Hive Mind has no place here. Folks can agree or disagree and not fear being censored 🤬 . It’s a good place :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Jumpman Lane said:

One of my biggest enemies became a good friend. (I joined the Forum Cartel Lol). I hope he’s doing all right. I haven’t asked, dreading the answer really. He was always kind of sickly.

You mean Chris?  I don't know either, but since he hasn't been seen in years, I suspect he lost to his illness.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Emma Krokus said:

.I rarely dare venture into the general discussion threads - you can be a scary lot !! 

Lately I have bravely posted a few pictures though (totally in awe of regular posters in those threads OMG - the talent out there!).

It can be very scary here for sure, lol!!! And there really is some incredible talent in SL!!!

• Like 2

I found the forums not long after I joined in June. I just started posting today because I wanted some location recommendations. The forums seem fun as either an alternative when I don't want to login, or maybe even as an addition when I do if I require a little extra to keep my mind whirring. 

• Like 3

• I joined  January 24, 2018. Got a lot of support when posted my very first messy thread about past relationships.  And then posted my first pic and was surprised that people liked that,lol. In my view  in 2018   forum was soo much active than now, no threads were locked, no conflicts. A lot of great pics everyday and just simple fun in the most of threads.. When 2020 started it literally felt like forum become less active, no idea if it because of virus or what, but UH i started to see more argue and more people leaving forums. Even i started to fel like i become a person i never were,so started to post less too. 
Edited by Panteleeva
  • Like 2

Two years ago I came looking for help. It was a good place to hang out.

I owe a huge amount to the old school here, who helped me master mesh and appliers.

Now I grow tired and frustrated of how it has evolved. Regulars have walked away. It's no longer a fun place to hang out.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Now I grow tired and frustrated of how it has evolved. Regulars have walked away. It's no longer a fun place to hang out.

Forums go through cycles.  It doesn't take more than a couple of cranky people to stir the pot, especially during stressful times (like this CoVid 19 season).  I suggest taking the long view. Ignore those odd voices, many of whom will get tired and fade away or get distracted by other activities.  Some of them are just looking for buttons to push, so don't let them push yours.  Those of us who have been around for a few years have lived through these bumpy patches and outlived (or come to peace with) a lot of people who have yanked our chains.  Sometimes they mellow, too, and sometimes they can surprise you by goading you into looking at the world in new, interesting ways.  🙃

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

I came here a month ago to learn about SL in general and subsequently content creation. For any online community, I turn to forums first since threads/posts tend to be more long-lived, convenient to bookmark/transcribe, and more eloquent compared to Discord messages and especially in-game chat. It's mainly lurking and researching for me until I'm confident enough to post. :)

• Like 2

On 8/4/2020 at 3:46 PM, Jumpman Lane said:

I came to the original forums in 2007 for the sole purpose of spamming links and advertising my new magazine (at the time). I didn’t know you couldn’t do it (I’m sure SOMEBODY snitched me out to the people lol).  

I stuck around made a bunch of friends and enemies. One of my biggest enemies became a good friend. (I joined the Forum Cartel Lol). I hope he’s doing all right. I haven’t asked, dreading the answer really. He was always kind of sickly. 

The forums are home to a good community. The Hive Mind has no place here. Folks can agree or disagree and not fear being censored 🤬 . It’s a good place :) 

We are Borg resistance is futa...err.. futile.

Or..

We are legion for we are many.

Edited by Drakonadrgora Darkfold

20 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

Forums go through cycles.  It doesn't take more than a couple of cranky people to stir the pot, especially during stressful times (like this CoVid 19 season).  I suggest taking the long view. Ignore those odd voices, many of whom will get tired and fade away or get distracted by other activities.  Some of them are just looking for buttons to push, so don't let them push yours.  Those of us who have been around for a few years have lived through these bumpy patches and outlived (or come to peace with) a lot of people who have yanked our chains.  Sometimes they mellow, too, and sometimes they can surprise you by goading you into looking at the world in new, interesting ways.  🙃

Thank you Rolig, for some good advice. After ignoring one or two buzz-flies, I already feel better, and the forums are much better.

• Like 3

I've been on Second Life since March and have known of the Forums for about as long. I didn't see any real reason to join though. But then I got one: boredom. This is a nice, comfy place with interesting discussions. I might end up staying. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hanaroeii said:

I've been on Second Life since March and have known of the Forums for about as long. I didn't see any real reason to join though. But then I got one: boredom. This is a nice, comfy place with interesting discussions. I might end up staying. 

*Passes you the standard forum starter kit*

1x Pitchfork and Flaming Torch (Don't ask why just be assured these are essential for forum survival)

1x Book titled "The Pyre and its use on the SL forums"

1x Outrage Card (You can play this whenever you want. Pretty much summons @Drakonadrgora Darkfold from the depths to give someone a talking to)

1x Official complimentary "Is Second Life Is Dying", "Is SL a a game" and "Linden Labs" banners for use in the forum at your own discretion

1x Get Out Of Jail Free card for the above banners

1x Rare spell "Oldbie Begone"

That should get you off to a good start

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Haha 7

Mentioning my card will summon me too. Just so you know for future reference. 

"Beware the Dragonness".. playing this card will summon me 'The Villainness' I will come into your thread and proceed to do what I  want with it. I will reply in whatever manner I feel is best. Regardless if you like or agree with what I say or don't. Only the mighty 'Linden' can really control or stop me  if on a rampage.  

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

Mentioning my card will summon me too. Just so you know for future reference. 

"Beware the Dragonness".. playing this card will summon me 'The Villainness' I will come into your thread and proceed to do what I  want with it. I will reply in whatever manner I feel is best. Regardless if you like or agree with what I say or don't. Only the mighty 'Linden' can really control or stop me  if on a rampage.  

*Raises hands and wiggles fingers*

"I summon thee.."

@moderator linden................. (I had to put the dots after as there is actually an account called Moderator Linden and it tagged them. Go figure xD.

• Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1483 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.