Last names? What is all the excitement?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I rarely - and I mean very rarely read a post where someone identifies or is identified by their last name. 

Why, just recently, someone wrote, and I quote, "little storm" and others who write "Stormeeee".  But never little clarence or Clarenceeee.   No one who I can remember, except for Prok, has ever referred to my by my last name.

So why are there 7 threads demanding such action of LL to bring last names to fruition?

Forum personalities are only on a first name basis: Rhonda, Maddy, Garnet, Storm, Cindy, Brie (Bree), Tolya, Scyllia, Fauve (harder on the tongue than her last name), Seicher (although most mispronounce anyway) who remembers last names? 

What is all the fuss?

Edited by Storm Clarence
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Storm Clarence said:

What is all the fuss?

names are an integral part of a person's identity, both self recognised and outwardly recognisable. For some fewer of us, identity recognition is less important all the way down to unimportant (I am in this fewer group) but for the larger group then is quite important to them

so for this reason I am quite pleased that Linden have done this for those who want it

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I could go on.

Not as Bill The Pirate, bucko.  As you know, I have sensors out there watching for him all the time.  He's had a target painted on his back for years.  The first time he comes within 0.1m of any of my systems, he's toast.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

names are an integral part of a person's identity, both self recognised and outwardly recognisable. For some fewer of us, identity recognition is less important all the way down to unimportant (I am in this fewer group) but for the larger group then is quite important to them

My impression is that it's mainly the ones who already has a legacy account name who are excited about being able to get a legacy account name. ;)

I've yet to hear anybody as much as mention it outside this forum and I'll be very surprised if there will be a big demand for name changes. But I've been wrong before so we'll see.

43 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

so for this reason I am quite pleased that Linden have done this for those who want it

Well, there's no harm in it and besides, every L$ they manage to squeeze out of this is a L$ they don't squeeze out of merchants and land owners.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

I rarely - and I mean very rarely read a post where someone identifies or is identified by their last name. 

Why, just recently, someone wrote, and I quote, "little storm" and others who write "Stormeeee".  But never little clarence or Clarenceeee.   No one who I can remember, except for Prok, has ever referred to my by my last name.

So why are there 7 threads demanding such action of LL to bring last names to fruition?

Forum personalities are only on a first name basis: Rhonda, Maddy, Garnet, Storm, Cindy, Brie (Bree), Tolya, Scyllia, Fauve (harder on the tongue than her last name), Seicher (although most mispronounce anyway) who remembers last names? 

What is all the fuss?

Interesting...I don't usually think of the forum posters as their whole name either...usually just first name.  I remember all who were extremely helpful to me when I was new - all by first name.  

Hmmmmmmmmm...very insightful.  

Maybe it's a feeling of completeness to some and/or they don't like "resident" as being thought of as kind of a last name which it isn't.  But, inworld, sometimes, we have to go by Resident as our last name if we don't have one.    

5 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yes! And this is why I have so many of them.

Madelaine
Snugs
RootBeerDrinkingLampshade
BillThePirate
Dave23

I could go on.

RootBeerDrinkingLampshade Rumrunner would be an awesome name. Just sayin'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

Lastnames give you the option to be Storm, Garnet, Rhonda and Cindy in the first place, assuming none of you where the first of your name to set foot into SL. With Resident, there can only be one and its getting increasingly difficult to get a good name, thats not already taken. Less of an issue, if you go for weird names or fantasy-like names, but impossible, when you want a common RL name.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

What is all the fuss?

I'm a personality?  I thought I just posted a lot, but thank you. :D 

Cool cat.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Lastnames give you the option to be Storm, Garnet, Rhonda and Cindy in the first place, assuming none of you where the first of your name to set foot into SL. With Resident, there can only be one and its getting increasingly difficult to get a good name, thats not already taken. Less of an issue, if you go for weird names or fantasy-like names, but impossible, when you want a common RL name.

"Cindy Evanier of the House Evanier, First of Her Name, the burnt nose after a weekend in the garden, Queen of her own house and garden, Khaleesi of the Living Room, Breaker of a dish in the sink this morning, and Mother of 3 RL boys and an elderly Jack Russell" 

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

8 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

Raramente - e intendo molto raramente leggere un post in cui qualcuno identifica o è identificato dal loro cognome. 

Perché, proprio di recente, qualcuno ha scritto, e cito, "piccola tempesta" e altri che scrivono "Stormeeee". Ma mai poca chiarezza o Clarenceeee. Nessuno che ricordi, tranne Prok, mi ha mai fatto riferimento al mio cognome.

Quindi perché ci sono 7 thread che richiedono tale azione di LL per portare a compimento i cognomi?

Le personalità del forum sono solo sulla base del nome: Rhonda, Maddy, Garnet, Storm, Cindy, Brie (Bree), Tolya, Scyllia, Fauve (più dura sulla lingua del suo cognome), Seicher (anche se la maggior parte pronuncia male comunque) che ricorda cognome? 

Qual è tutto il clamore?

I don't see why I have to change my name for one chosen by them (LL) that I don't like and I have to pay it (!! ??) I hope it's not mandatory. Have Nice Day

15 minutes ago, deplove said:

I don't see why I have to change my name for one chosen by them (LL) that I don't like and I have to pay it (!! ??) I hope it's not mandatory. Have Nice Day

You don't.  IF you wanted a last name and one came up in the options you could choose to pay for one.  You have a nice day too 

9 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

an elderly and JRT ?.. or old JRT ...or PRT ?

well to be fair he is a jack russell staffie cross but I didn't want to dox him on the forums 

current status, resting. I think he is 13 next month (rescue dog)

c8c1491c7262a0ac3268dcd1a1f3f6a5.png

• Like 7

In my case (on my main account obviously, this one will stay as is) it was to get rid of bad username I chose back in the days when I just started. I had no idea I'd stay for as long as I did, nor about usernames actually being visible anywhere, but the login screen (like in pretty much every mmo out there).

So while I do and will continue to use the display names, so the "Resident" part never bothered me too much, I was waiting to get rid of that username. Mostly for myself, but also a bit for some old scripts that use username instead of the display name and for some people who apparently have usernames disabled and getting called by "that" out of the blue was not something I did enjoy very much.

3 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I don't really understand the big deal either. 

I don't either as I don't want to pay for a last name at this time.  It doesn't have any worth to me to pay money and I don't want to go through the rigmarole of it.  

Without a last name, on certain config cards that work scripts, especially for managers and hosts or group deeded items, the config card needs a last name.  So those of use without a last name on a config card our last name has to be Resident.  Now only owners of the object see the config card so it doesn't really matter.

I can understand it giving more options to people for their first name.  That makes sense to me...as my first SL name is pronounced Fair, however, some people call me Fair when speaking on voice, others assume my name is pronounced Fairy.  I wanted to have Fair as my first name as Fair is what my RL middle name means but the system would not take it nor would it take the old English, Faire.  

Edited by FairreLilette

12 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

What is all the fuss?

Because I'm tired of every scripted object or 'host' (ie scripted object) referring to me as "ayelanewlife Resident". It's demeaning, and strips me of that basic right of self-identification.

My name is Ayela. People call me that. The inadequate mechanics of SL force various automated processes to disregard that entirely. Changing last names gives me an opportunity to correct that - there are very few first names left which can be paired with "Resident", but the new last names allow all of us to pick even common first names without issue.

...in theory, anyway. The $40 fee and highly limited (and mediocre) selection of last names makes this less-than-ideal.

Edited by AyelaNewLife
I did typo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ChinRey said:

I've yet to hear anybody as much as mention it outside this forum and I'll be very surprised if there will be a big demand for name changes. But I've been wrong before so we'll see.

I'd be somewhat amazed if the vast majority of SL users even know all this is going on, but I could be wrong. As I have said many times before, though this is anecdotal, I have never met a single person in SL who posts on the Forum, other than like two I met in SL because I knew them from the Forum. I wonder how many people read the announcements or blogs on the SL homepage, either. I know I never did before Bellissarria, and haven't since.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Interesting...I don't usually think of the forum posters as their whole name either...usually just first name.  I remember all who were extremely helpful to me when I was new - all by first name.  

Perhaps this fits with me living in a different world than pretty much everyone else (though I guess we all do to a large degree, though it seems far more extreme with me), but I *do* think of people in terms of their first and last names, even on the Forum and in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1565 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.