Jump to content

Last names? What is all the excitement?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Because I'm tired of every scripted object or 'host' (ie scripted object) referring to me as "ayelanewlife Resident". It's demeaning, and strips me of that basic right of self-identification.

All scripted objects?  Not ones I have...they don't announce any name.  I even have wear objects where the message is "requesting permissions to attach"...and then "permission granted".  No name at all is mentioned.  I can't remember what name my tip jars give out at my club; coronavirus has put my SL on hold.  I host or co-host events with my club's Dj and it's difficult to figure out a person's name.  Sometimes I don't know if that's a group title over their head or their other name they wrote there.  So, I often don't even know what a person's name is as a host.  It's very difficult because some group titles look like they could be a name.  

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

All scripted objects?  Not ones I have...they don't announce any name.  I even have wear objects where the message is "requesting permissions to attach"...and then "permission granted".  No name at all is mentioned.  I can't remember what name my tip jars give out at my club; coronavirus has put my SL on hold.  I host or co-host events with my club's Dj and it's difficult to figure out a person's name.  Sometimes I don't know if that's a group title over their head or their other name they wrote there.  So, I often don't even know what a person's name is as a host.  It's very difficult because some group titles look like they could be a name.  

You know what I meant. Scripted objects can only recognise you by your account name, nor your display name. Changing my last name opens up the possibility of changing my first name to my identity, in a way that is recognisable by scripted objects.

Also I stand by what I said about hosts. Referring to people by their account name rather than their chosen display name is incredibly disrespectful and borderline offensive. Exceptions apply to those with illegible unicode display names of course; that's self-inflicted.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

You know what I meant. Scripted objects can only recognise you by your account name, nor your display name. Changing my last name opens up the possibility of changing my first name to my identity, in a way that is recognisable by scripted objects.

Also I stand by what I said about hosts. Referring to people by their account name rather than their chosen display name is incredibly disrespectful and borderline offensive. Exceptions apply to those with illegible unicode display names of course; that's self-inflicted.

Okay, I must be missing something here...isn't the area where someone has written in a name other than their username where the group titles go?  I'm asking because I don't have any other name in that area other than my group titles. 

And, there are all kinds of scripted objects in SL that in no way announce a name.  So I don't know what you are talking about there.

So, how would I know that's not a group title because some names as I said in my post above look like they could be a name or a group title.  That's not disrespectful, that's common sense.  Not to mention newbie hosts are going to think that is your Group Title not a name you wrote in there yourself on MYSECONDLIFE.COM or however it's done.  A lot of SL users don't even know about the forum, let alone how to put another name in there other than a group title.   And, it's also common sense because most users who put another name where there group name goes is completely different from their username.  When their name is just downright confusing as to what it even is, I wait until they say something because I don't know if that's a group title or not.  I have said Hi to a person using a Group Title...that was not their written in name.  

But, $40 to pay for LL's blunder, no way, Jose, I say.  

Edited by FairreLilette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

You know what I meant. Scripted objects can only recognise you by your account name, nor your display name.

That's definitely not true. I almost always write my scripts to use your display name as the default.  It's quite easy.  There's a standard LSL function for that purpose, llGetDisplayName(). Personally, I have no interest in a display name, but many people do. Hence, my choice as a scripter.  If any of my scripts encounters a person like me, with no display name, the function automatically returns the person's login name instead.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Storm Clarence said:

I rarely - and I mean very rarely read a post where someone identifies or is identified by their last name. 

Why, just recently, someone wrote, and I quote, "little storm" and others who write "Stormeeee".  But never little clarence or Clarenceeee.   No one who I can remember, except for Prok, has ever referred to my by my last name.

So why are there 7 threads demanding such action of LL to bring last names to fruition?

 

Forum personalities are only on a first name basis: Rhonda, Maddy, Garnet, Storm, Cindy, Brie (Bree), Tolya, Scyllia, Fauve (harder on the tongue than her last name), Seicher (although most mispronounce anyway) who remembers last names? 

What is all the fuss?

 

Stormeeee! :) 

It's a small triumph for those who have campaigned for the return of last names. And a massive coup for the marketing person/people responsible for the chain of seemingly positive reactions to the newest occurrences in Second Life.  The original Linden Home sims were not as successful as they could have been, I think, and were definitely aimed at trying to get new people to sign up to Second Life, rather than to retain older residents. What Linden Lab have learned at last is listening to what residents want, plus getting the timing right can be very profitable.  

Timing is everything. 

____

As an aside, my first SL partner and mentor had a hideous first name, and I always called him by his last name. While last names were still available, he created an alt, using the last name of his original avatar as his first name, but neither of us got used to that. 

I couldn't get Marigold Resident when the only last name that became available in 2010 was Resident, so I have MarigoldSpare. If I had the money, I would not change any avatar's name. If I had the money and the time, I still couldn't be arsed to join the latest rat race, but I understand the need for some people to do so. Horses for courses.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Okay, I must be missing something here...isn't the area where someone has written in a name other than their username where the group titles go?  I'm asking because I don't have any other name in that area other than my group titles. 

And, there are all kinds of scripted objects in SL that in no way announce a name.  So I don't know what you are talking about there.

So, how would I know that's not a group title because some names as I said in my post above look like they could be a name or a group title.  That's not disrespectful, that's common sense.  Not to mention newbie hosts are going to think that is your Group Title not a name you wrote in there yourself on MYSECONDLIFE.COM or however it's done.  A lot of SL users don't even know about the forum, let alone how to put another name in there other than a group title.   And, it's also common sense because most users who put another name where there group name goes is completely different from their username.  When their name is just downright confusing as to what it even is, I wait until they say something because I don't know if that's a group title or not.  I have said Hi to a person using a Group Title...that was not their written in name.  

But, $40 to pay for LL's blunder, no way, Jose, I say.  

The group title and display name are in different sized fonts. The display name is also in most other locations; in their profile, in the chat windows, in the tooltip from hovering over the avatar, in nearby avatars, etc. See also:

9c10267b44.png

(The faintness of the tooltip is due to my screencapping program.)

This display name is what that avatar has chosen to be identified as; to disregard that is indeed disrespectful. It's not a title, or a badge, or a gimmick - it is their name. If they've used an illegible display name composed of unicode characters instead of letters, it's more forgivable; but a host that isn't willing to take two seconds to use someone's chosen name does themselves and their venue a disservice. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's definitely not true. I almost always write my scripts to use your display name as the default.  It's quite easy.  There's a standard LSL function for that purpose, llGetDisplayName(). Personally, I have no interest in a display name, but many people do. Hence, my choice as a scripter.  If any of my scripts encounters a person like me, with no display name, the function automatically returns the person's login name instead.

This is honestly the first time I've heard of this. I've never seen it in action before, and I've had scripters tell me outright that quoting account names/usernames was their only option. So thank you for educating me about this! 

Out of interest, do you know when this was introduced? Was there a time in which referring to account names was the only option?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always thought that there were 2 big reasons for the desire to change names. First, it was those that were "partners for life" who wanted to be able to change their names so that they could share a last name.  It sounds like that will cost $80.00 now since you can't change to an old name, only to the ones in the random list which I believe is all new last names now. Given that those people who clamored for the ability to change their last name actually had last names, they are all now ten years or more in SL and they may have realized that nothing lasts forever. They seem to be have adjusted to marrying their display names and for the most part are content.  Especially since they can marry and divorce as often as needed and don't need to pay extra to fix their names.

Second there were the residents who resented being last nameless; who saw it as a mark of prestige to have a last name. Well they can get one now if it's worth $40 to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Out of interest, do you know when this was introduced? Was there a time in which referring to account names was the only option?

I have a notoriously fluffy memory for such things, but I'm guessing we got the function shortly after display names were introduced, whenever that was (2012?).  That's the normal pattern of such things.  LL introduces a new feature and almost immediately releases the scripting functions that are designed to manage it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

The group title and display name are in different sized fonts. The display name is also in most other locations; in their profile, in the chat windows, in the tooltip from hovering over the avatar, in nearby avatars, etc. See also:

9c10267b44.png

(The faintness of the tooltip is due to my screencapping program.)

This display name is what that avatar has chosen to be identified as; to disregard that is indeed disrespectful. It's not a title, or a badge, or a gimmick - it is their name. If they've used an illegible display name composed of unicode characters instead of letters, it's more forgivable; but a host that isn't willing to take two seconds to use someone's chosen name does themselves and their venue a disservice. 

Okay, that's helpful because most people's display name is not even close to their username.  I don't have a sim greeter right now..(so this is what you must be talking about and/or tip jars) as we opened just before Christmas and me and my Dj only have two dances a week.  Not two dances a day...two dances a week.  We are a very small club/group, and it takes a long time to get to just where we are now.  Trying to figure out all the config cards of stuff is in a word, a nightmare.  One thing works easily; the next doesn't work at all; the next won't let my Manager friend in, and on and on it goes.  Not to mention some stuff is just downright out of our price range -- too expensive.   

I do know what you are talking about now...a greeter.  I don't have one and I'm glad I waited...I could try to find one with Rolig's 'getdisplayname' but sometimes that's like searching for a needle in a haystack and often just another long drawn out headache.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 602 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...