Do you need to vent about things COVID-19?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, JanuarySwan said:

It needs to be soon because there is a lot to write up.  I wish they'd just do COVID though and leave other things out - like raising the minimum wage for one.  JUST COVID PERIOD.  Do the minimum wage separately.  No other stuff... because adding in "other stuff", that's why these are taking too long, imo.   I wish they had just did COVID only last time.  Knuckleheads.  lol

Here is some recent news from about two hours ago..

I really like this guy and watch him every day.. He's down the middle and doesn't play favorites.. plus now he started doing these little interesting facts at the end of each video..

Anyways, I started to watch him right around when the pandemic started..

5 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Currently suffering the side effects of having my first dose of the vaccine yesterday.  Glad I had it.  These symptoms will ease. 🤞

I guess my mother was lucky.  Her only side effect was a soreness.  I hope it goes as well for me when it's time for mine.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cindy Evanier said:

Currently suffering the side effects of having my first dose of the vaccine yesterday.  Glad I had it.  These symptoms will ease. 🤞

It's been 12 hours for me and I don't seem to have any side effects yet, though was warned about a sore arm, headache and possible fever. Maybe it'll hit me tomorrow? The man who injected me said "Today's special is Astra Zenaca or Astra Zenaca, but I will let you choose which arm!" :oxD

The injection wasn't sore at all compared to giving blood samples and the whole thing took about 20 minutes, including queuing.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

It's been 12 hours for me and I don't seem to have any side effects yet, though was warned about a sore arm, headache and possible fever. Maybe it'll hit me tomorrow? The man who injected me said "Today's special is Astra Zenaca or Astra Zenaca, but I will let you choose which arm!" :oxD

The injection wasn't sore at all compared to giving blood samples and the whole thing took about 20 minutes, including queuing.

I thought I had got away with it.  Had the jab at 11 am, fine all day, went to bed and woke about 2 am with the worst headache I have ever experienced, a fever and my legs didn't work so had to crawl to the toiilet.  Paracetamol got rid of the fever but nothing got rid of the headache and I just lay there until about 8 am when exhaustion got me to sleep and I slept until 3 pm.  No injection pain though.   This morning I feel totally fine.  I will know better next time and take Paracetamol in advance, drink more water  and keep a walking stick next to the bed.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

56 minutes ago, Cindy Evanier said:

I thought I had got away with it.  Had the jab at 11 am, fine all day, went to bed and woke about 2 am with the worst headache I have ever experienced, a fever and my legs didn't work so had to crawl to the toiilet.  Paracetamol got rid of the fever but nothing got rid of the headache and I just lay there until about 8 am when exhaustion got me to sleep and I slept until 3 pm.  No injection pain though.   This morning I feel totally fine.  I will know better next time and take Paracetamol in advance, drink more water  and keep a walking stick next to the bed.  

Ugh...just woke up with a dry throat, back ache and a sore arm...here I go. But good to hear you're feeling better now :)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Bitterthorn said:

Just took a Covid test. Results in 24-48hrs. 

I have no idea where I might have contracted it, but I'm sick as a dog. I can't breathe well, and I feel like death. I've been working from home and completely isolated from the world for a year =/ 

I've had the same symptoms, and did get tested. I was told 12-24 hours for the results and got them in about 7, so keep an eye out.

And I don't have Covid. You probably don't either. I've never been so relieved to discover that I've probably just got a really bad cold.

53 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've had the same symptoms, and did get tested. I was told 12-24 hours for the results and got them in about 7, so keep an eye out.

And I don't have Covid. You probably don't either. I've never been so relieved to discover that I've probably just got a really bad cold.

Here's to hoping! I have my phone set to send me text alerts when I get the test results so I'll be watching that for the next couple of days. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitterthorn said:

Here's to hoping! I have my phone set to send me text alerts when I get the test results so I'll be watching that for the next couple of days. 

I had to go digging for my results.. They told us when we got tested that we needed to make an account and keep checking their web site to get our results..

I was like, omg do i have to make an account nowadays for every damn thing I do? I have so many accounts for different things that I can't keep track of them anymore.. They are starting to feel like my SL inventory.. hehehe

I have just been invited to have my 1st covid-19 vaccination.   I have been wondering if I was on the vulnerable list due to having a rare blood disorder, & it seems that yes, I am.    I'll be honest & say that at the start of the vaccination program I was very hesitant to have the shot but now that 15 million people in the UK have been vaccinated I feel much more confident about it.    

• Like 5

Another rather disturbing if predictable facet of the pandemic, and the resulting lockdowns, has been a rise in cases of domestic abuse and violence. The CBC, to its credit, has been drawing attention to this since shortly after the lockdowns began here in Canada. Apparently, the problem continues unabated.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/domestic-intimate-partner-violence-up-in-pandemic-1.5914344

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Another rather disturbing if predictable facet of the pandemic, and the resulting lockdowns, has been a rise in cases of domestic abuse and violence. The CBC, to its credit, has been drawing attention to this since shortly after the lockdowns began here in Canada. Apparently, the problem continues unabated.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/domestic-intimate-partner-violence-up-in-pandemic-1.5914344

Definitely on the increase as this pandemic lockdown drags on with no clear end in sight. In the past month alone I have run into 3 situations where someone needed help that was unavailable for resolution through normal channels because of Covid restrictions to getting access to abuse shelters. One with all her belongings in shopping bags spread around her on the side of the road just needed a call to a taxi company to take her to a friends in another town, another flagged me down at 3 am when I was getting gas. The Police had dropped her off there after being unable to find her a bed at any of the local shelters. With no local friends and unhelpful family, my mother and I took her in for a few days until she was able to sort something out. The 3rd one we are getting set up with an in home security system and am about to head out to take her to Home Depot to purchase a steel door and better locks to prevent her ex from coming over unannounced and breaking the door down. 

Just crazy to run into three separate people in my little area needing to escape or get protection from ex's. Makes me shudder to think what it must be like in the larger areas like Toronto. The number of calls mentioned in the article are just the tip of the iceberg as it doesn't count the ones who find a resolution in another way through friends, family or even strangers. The lockdowns are forcing people together in ways that are not healthy and then combine that with money problems and a few drinks and suddenly simmering problems boil over with dangerous consequences. That is why these lockdowns need to end and just stick with masks and social distancing until either these vaccines either give us the herd immunity or the pandemic just peters out.

• Like 3

I haven't read back 130 pages.. so I don't know if I'm the only one not getting the vax. I live in a very small town in Oklahoma way out in the county. No one here has gotten sick, no one wears masks and the one grocery store in town doesn't require masks.. the 3 saloons don't either. Life here hasn't changed. I am truly sorry for those who have lost loved ones and friends to the virus. I have my own personal ideas about this virus, but, I'm afraid that they would not be welcome here.. God bless and keep you safe ❤️

• Haha 1

Covid right now is the least of our problems down here in the south..at least from Tennessee to Texas anyways for this week..

This whole week has been crazy down here.. They can't give out vaccines and any food shelters have been closed due to the weather for those needing anything..

There are people with 4x4's forming groups and offering rides to essential workers I seen the other night on the news,  which is really nice to see..

Well honestly, I'm surprised they named the storm Uri instead of nick naming it after Valentines day, since that's the day it seemed to all start up..

Since Sunday it's been wet, then freezing cold with all the ice, black ice and snow mix.. Right now we're getting dumped on again with a big snow and more icy rain and wet mix and temperatures  not getting high enough to thaw anything until maybe Saturday at the earliest..

It's really wild, you could still sort of see the grass peaking through the ice the last few days, but you had to really stomp on it to make an imprint, if you didn't slip on your butt like I did my first try..

There was like 2 inches of solid ice covering all the vehicles today that we had sitting outside..We got them all cleaned off and started up..

If it was flat, I'd probably try to give it a go in my jeep to make it to work, but there are just too many curves and hilly roads and drop offs and it would take me forever and a day to get there, see an empty parking lot, then just have to turn around and come home..

Hardly any of the plants around town have been running very much at all.. I talked to some friends at some of the other plants and they haven't had enough people to show up to run anything..

There have been people without power since Monday from the power lines getting iced up and lines snapping from the weight. Some stuck in their cars stranded for 15 hours or more..

If you get stranded out here it may be awhile before anyone comes, especially in bad weather when nobody is going anywhere.

One guy around here froze to death in his car the other night.. More than likely from going to work not realizing what kind of weather was coming in and ended up unprepared and getting stranded and stuck for hours heading back home..

It's a sad shame to hear things like that..

This is about the worst I've seen it around here since I can remember..

If we were up north, it'd be just another winter storm where you get that first slide that breaks you in at the start of the season..Then it's like ,Winter driving experience engaged..That can happen on flat roads..

Getting in a slide around here and going off the road, it's a good chance you may be there for a good while..

I'm so ready to go back to work.. I've had more time off in this last years time, than I've had in my whole working life..

It would be one thing if it was like congress and all that time being breaks and vacation, but it's been more, held home than taking off.

That's hurting a lot of people living from pay check to pay check, coming off all this as well..

Ok I'm done.. I just had to get that all out of my system.. Everyone stay safe.

Ceka ❤️

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Sad 2

I've been wondering about this for a while, today it's getting some traction in the press:

Reuter's reporting on some correspondence to New England Journal of Medicine:

Researchers urge delaying Pfizer vaccine's second dose as first highly effective

By Reuters Staff

2 MIN READ

(Reuters) - The second dose of Pfizer Inc’s COVID-19 vaccine could be delayed in order to cover all priority groups as the first one is highly protective, two Canada-based researchers said in a letter published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

The vaccine had an efficacy of 92.6% after the first dose, Danuta Skowronski and Gaston De Serres said, based on an analysis of the documents submitted by the drugmaker to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).

[...]

They emphasized the urgent need to immunize the largest possible share of the human population, given that the efficacy a few weeks after first dose seems to be so close to the ultimate efficacy a few weeks after a second dose. That argument has appeal not only for immediate lifesaving benefit but also longer term reduction in the sheer volume of virus mutating and creating yet more variants.

Somewhat different, I've been arguing that waiting would ultimately save having to give everyone a third dose tailored to emerging variants, instead having that mop-up booster shot be the second one administered.

It would be a whole lot better if we had more data about efficacy of that first dose. The 92.6% number is based on retrospective analysis of the data submitted by Pfizer for FDA approval of the two-dose regimen, and there doesn't seem to be any confidence level estimates for that number. On the other hand, I've not seen anybody suggest that a delayed second dose of the same vaccine would ultimately be any less effective than if it were given on the prescribed timing, only that such delay could introduce an interval of less complete immunity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Covid right now is the least of our problems down here in the south..at least from Tennessee to Texas anyways for this week..

This whole week has been crazy down here.. They can't give out vaccines and any food shelters have been closed due to the weather for those needing anything..

There are people with 4x4's forming groups and offering rides to essential workers I seen the other night on the news,  which is really nice to see..

Well honestly, I'm surprised they named the storm Uri instead of nick naming it after Valentines day, since that's the day it seemed to all start up..

Since Sunday it's been wet, then freezing cold with all the ice, black ice and snow mix.. Right now we're getting dumped on again with a big snow and more icy rain and wet mix and temperatures  not getting high enough to thaw anything until maybe Saturday at the earliest..

It's really wild, you could still sort of see the grass peaking through the ice the last few days, but you had to really stomp on it to make an imprint, if you didn't slip on your butt like I did my first try..

There was like 2 inches of solid ice covering all the vehicles today that we had sitting outside..We got them all cleaned off and started up..

If it was flat, I'd probably try to give it a go in my jeep to make it to work, but there are just too many curves and hilly roads and drop offs and it would take me forever and a day to get there, see an empty parking lot, then just have to turn around and come home..

Hardly any of the plants around town have been running very much at all.. I talked to some friends at some of the other plants and they haven't had enough people to show up to run anything..

There have been people without power since Monday from the power lines getting iced up and lines snapping from the weight. Some stuck in their cars stranded for 15 hours or more..

If you get stranded out here it may be awhile before anyone comes, especially in bad weather when nobody is going anywhere.

One guy around here froze to death in his car the other night.. More than likely from going to work not realizing what kind of weather was coming in and ended up unprepared and getting stranded and stuck for hours heading back home..

It's a sad shame to hear things like that..

This is about the worst I've seen it around here since I can remember..

If we were up north, it'd be just another winter storm where you get that first slide that breaks you in at the start of the season..Then it's like ,Winter driving experience engaged..That can happen on flat roads..

Getting in a slide around here and going off the road, it's a good chance you may be there for a good while..

I'm so ready to go back to work.. I've had more time off in this last years time, than I've had in my whole working life..

It would be one thing if it was like congress and all that time being breaks and vacation, but it's been more, held home than taking off.

That's hurting a lot of people living from pay check to pay check, coming off all this as well..

Ok I'm done.. I just had to get that all out of my system.. Everyone stay safe.

Ceka ❤️

Yeah it's bad...in addition to slowing down the vaccine rollout people are freezing to death or dying in their homes & cars due to carbon monoxide poisoning. I'm seriously thinking of getting a generator or a type of heating device that runs on propane for future events like this -- supposedly they say there's no danger of carbon monoxide poisoning with certain types but I'm wary.

Rolling blackouts are occurring, some even deliberate as they try to lessen the stress on the system and keep the power grid alive.

I've never seen it this cold for this long of a stretch.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Walelu Summerwind said:

I haven't read back 130 pages.. so I don't know if I'm the only one not getting the vax. I live in a very small town in Oklahoma way out in the county. No one here has gotten sick, no one wears masks and the one grocery store in town doesn't require masks.. the 3 saloons don't either. Life here hasn't changed. I am truly sorry for those who have lost loved ones and friends to the virus. I have my own personal ideas about this virus, but, I'm afraid that they would not be welcome here.. God bless and keep you safe ❤️

I don't live all that far from you in a city with a few hospitals, and the Intensive Care units have been full with a freezer 'morgue truck' parked out back.

A couple weeks ago the plumber told me he has a friend who is a nurse working at a home for the elderly, and they won't even take those with Covid unless their symptoms are really bad. She said she's been faking the symptoms...saying they're more severe...just to get them into the hospital. But then, they are stuck out in a hall.  Of course this is anecdotal evidence from my plumber, but he seemed like an honest, earnest guy. I did check the local news and at least verified the dire situation in the Intensive Care units.

Thankfully, this last week the hospital situation is a bit better.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1169 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.