Should our display names......

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

...appear in Le Fora instead of system names?

Is that possible to do easily?
I've never heard any discussion regarding this but I could be wrong in saying that.
I may have missed it.

It does when you log into the SL website proper. 🙄
(I know they're totally different from each other).

• Like 1

By "Le Fora", do you mean here in the forums?  If so, hell no - as in I don't want to see them here.  I don't even show display names inworld.  Too many people use garbage characters.  True usernames only for me.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It's not going to be possible,  the forum is setup to pull from a synced database of usernames from SL, so when you sign up for SL you sign up for the forum,  there might be a trick to singing up on the forum directly, but dono.   but LL only syncs that table for username with what we signup for SL with,   I run a small opensim grid and that's how we are doing it with our xenoforo forum.

58 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

By "Le Fora", do you mean here in the forums?  If so, hell no - as in I don't want to see them here.  I don't even show display names inworld.  Too many people use garbage characters.  True usernames only for me.

Forum yes lol.

13 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

It's not going to be possible,  the forum is setup to pull from a synced database of usernames from SL, so when you sign up for SL you sign up for the forum,  there might be a trick to singing up on the forum directly, but dono.   but LL only syncs that table for username with what we signup for SL with,   I run a small opensim grid and that's how we are doing it with our xenoforo forum.

Yes I suspected that and I forgot about all the horrendous ones too. Oh well. 😙

52 minutes ago, lavalois said:

Well, probably with the new Last Names feature being rolled out soon, you will probably be ble to get your desired name on the forums as well, as your new name was supposed to become your username as well.

depends on if that's added to the table on the database that this get's pulled from, you might retain the original singup data, depending if the change can be done, because the forum is not an LL product, so if it can be done invision will have to do it.

When display names were new, I went out of my way to change scripts to use them. Then I saw how display names were actually being used in the wild, and I've never again used them in scripts in any way; it's as if they don't exist for me.

I imagine the work on the New Last Names feature includes updates to all SL's web presence including the forums. That's good, but has a downside: I won't have a clue who the new names are, all with huge postcounts. I can't even track who's alt of which defunct forums persona, so I'll never keep up with changing names.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I imagine the work on the New Last Names feature includes updates to all SL's web presence including the forums. That's good, but has a downside: I won't have a clue who the new names are, all with huge postcounts.

OMG, I hadn't even considered how folks will appear here in the forums - what a nightmare that might be.  Then again, it will be a nightmare inworld too - trying to keep track of who is who.  I'll need to wear a HUD that feeds me the original name of folks when I click on them or something.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

OMG, I hadn't even considered how folks will appear here in the forums - what a nightmare that might be.  Then again, it will be a nightmare inworld too - trying to keep track of who is who.  I'll need to wear a HUD that feeds me the original name of folks when I click on them or something.

This is why I have the option turned on to show display names and legacy names both.  I have it set that way for over the avatars head and in the friends list.  I just can't with not finding people.  Some have had the same display name since the onset of display names and I've forgotten their legacy name, so I have to find them by display name, others change as soon as they can, so i have to find by legacy name.  WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE THIS HARD??

40 minutes ago, AmandaKeen said:

*I* want....

#1 .. a pony

#2 ..a setting that toggles off special characters in Name-lines and force-displays name text in easily-readable characters

#3 .. true love as long as a lot of sex is involved

as you can't get all 3 i'd say you can opt in at nr 3

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AmandaKeen said:

#2 ..a setting that toggles off special characters in Name-lines and force-displays name text in easily-readable characters

Not ideal but Firestorm contact sets can help at least. I don't want to disable display names but some drive me crazy, special characters, content, whatever. 

If you add someone to a contact list you can assign them an alias or strip their display name ("Rem DN") on a case by case basis. Maybe everybody knows this but as something I recently discovered, thought I would mention it! I'll probably use this to remind me who people are when name changes happen as well. 

vXsEWyO.png

Edited by missyrideout
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.