Jump to content

Last names nearly here - and more. Yay!


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 96 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, missyrideout said:

Exactly, you have one, so of course you can't see any difference. For others it represents something more.  Speaking only for myself, to me it represents becoming a fully fledged citizen of the grid after many years as a member of the "Resident" underclass. Which of course sounds crazy to you, from the lofty position of already having a grand old name! Let's say you had to pay $50 USD or become TarinaSewell Resident, would you pony up? No? Well you are a more evolved person than I. I want my vanity plate. 

"Resident underclass" 🤣This made me laugh. Thx.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There can be miiiiiiraaaacles When you beeeeliiiiiiiieve

The only highlights of that post were the last name contest and the new linden homes themes tbh. The rest is just crap. Doubling the marketplace commission, adding a new premium tier that no one asked

Official blog -  The highlight for me is that there's a contest to choose last names, and you can win one.   

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

So that means the LL post from today which says name changes will be available only for premium accounts (as I understood it) is correct or does it mean that last names for new accounts will be only for premium accounts? In other words, only new premium accounts will get last names and basic accounts will be stuck with Resident?

Sorry, I'm finding the whole thing a bit confusing.

Let me explain this again: All new account creators will still have to pick a single-word name (NO spaces).

BOTH existing accounts (first-name-last-name accounts and one-word-name accounts) AND new accounts (one-word names) can change their name IF they upgrade to Premium.

IF you have both a first name and a last name already AND are Premium, you will have the option to update EITHER your first name OR your last name, or BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.You will select a new last name from a predetermined list of names. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PICK ANY LAST NAME YOU WANT.

If you have a single-word name AND are Premium, you will have the option to pick your preferred first name AND select a new last name from a predetermined list of names. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PICK ANY LAST NAME YOU WANT.

IF YOU ARE NOT PREMIUM, you will not be able to change your name unless you upgrade to Premium.

When I quoted Patch Linden as saying "Everyone", I meant that this new renaming feature is available to EVERYONE (BOTH THOSE WITH A FIRST NAME AND LAST NAME ALREADY AND THOSE WITH A ONE-WORD NAME), which I thought I had made perfectly clear from the context. 

Patch Linden.png

Edited by Vanity Fair
  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

As of now, I see nothing being offered with the premium plus that would be of sufficient value for me to go for it.  I have a perfectly good last name, no need to worry about that.  I have 0 interest in Bellissaria, no need to care about that except it would nice if the moles could do a little work for the rest of the grid.  I don't sell on Marketplace, so no concerns there. 

I was a little annoyed when they jacked the price of premium but I'm still paying less per annum than I was before the tier reduction a couple years back, so no big deal even though I got nothing of value from it, not having any use for more groups under the best of circumstances. 

What is coming down to is not only the bottom line for lab (and we have no idea how much money they are losing with Sansar, I doubt it is turning a profit for the lab) and the bottom line for the individual member.  What is a new  name really worth for people no matter how much they may want one?  It's going to be fun to see how it works out.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

As of now, I see nothing being offered with the premium plus that would be of sufficient value for me to go for it.

That is because no details have been released yet. All they have announced is a confirmation that Premium Plus is coming in 2020. Nothing (worth it, or otherwise) is known yet about Premium Plus other than its coming.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beth Macbain said:

Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for the holiday edition of "OH MY GOD THE LINDENS SUCK AND THEY'RE EFFING EVERYTHING UP AND SECOND LIFE IS GOING TO DIE BECAUSE LINDEN LAB IS OBVIOUSLY GOING BANKRUPT AND THE SKY IS FALLING AND EVERYTHING IS AWFUL". 

Thanks, Lindens, for everything you've done and everything you're doing, and everything you've got planned for the future. I think I'm going to start a GoFundMe for you guys to fund a holiday happy hour where each of you do a shot for every YOU GUYS SUCK post in this thread!

You're awesome and appreciated!

Not one person has said this..  what they are saying in a nutshell is SL is getting very expensive.   But if you want to keep riding your "upperclass horse" keep going LOL

 

Edited by Tarina Sewell
of course saying things like ths is why I probably do not fit in.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

Let me explain this again: All new account creators will still have to pick a single-word name (NO spaces).

BOTH existing accounts (first-name-last-name accounts and one-word-name accounts) AND new accounts (one-word names) can change their name IF they upgrade to Premium.

IF you have both a first name and a last name already AND are Premium, you will have the option to update EITHER your first name OR your last name, or BOTH AT THE SAME TIME.You will select a new last name from a predetermined list of names. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PICK ANY LAST NAME YOU WANT.

If you have a single-word name AND are Premium, you will have the option to pick your preferred first name AND select a new last name from a predetermined list of names. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PICK ANY LAST NAME YOU WANT.

IF YOU ARE NOT PREMIUM, you will not be able to change your name unless you upgrade to Premium.

When I quoted Patch Linden as saying "Everyone", I meant that this new renaming feature is available to EVERYONE (BOTH THOSE WITH A FIRST NAME AND LAST NAME ALREADY AND THOSE WITH A ONE-WORD NAME), which I thought I had made perfectly clear from the context. 

Patch Linden.png

Long story short, if you're basic you don't count, regardless of how many thousands of USD you've invested in SL over the years. Not a good thing (or feeling).

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Not one person has said this..  what they are saying in a nutshell is SL is getting very expensive.   But if you want to keep riding your "upperclass horse" keep going LOL

 

I have a whole herd of upperclass horses!

SL costs exactly what people are willing to pay. It costs nothing to create a basic account. 

Just like everything in RL, you get what you pay for. You can pay nothing, or you can pay thousands, or anything in between. The amount you pay determines what you get. Second Life is free and the extras are extra.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i will wait and see how much it costs then decide if it will be worth it to me. I can't think of any name I would jump at changing to at the moment. If I could change from Mollymews Resident to Molly Mews then I would most likely, just because

am not sure this is going to be possible tho, as even if Mews was a selectable last name then from what Linden have said previously then I can't choose Molly as a first name for Mews as MollyMews is already being used by a existing user, who happens to be me.  I am hoping that Linden will find a way to make this possible. If not then oh! well, maybe one day somehow

ps add:

I just had a thought. If there was last name Smokey. Then I could be MollyMe Smokey. And another thought I had before.  Quietly as selectable last name.  Mollymews Quietly.  Orrr!!  Mollymews Loudly. I will stop now ok 😸

Edited by Mollymews
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i will wait and see how much it costs then decide if it will be worth it to me. I can't think of any name I would jump at changing to at the moment. If I could change from Mollymews Resident to Molly Mews then I would most likely, just because

am not sure this is going to be possible tho, as even if Mews was a selectable last name then from what Linden have said previously then I can't choose Molly as a first name for Mews as MollyMews is already being used by a existing user, who happens to be me.  I am hoping that Linden will find a way to make this possible. If not then oh! well, maybe one day somehow

The way I read the blog post (and I just skimmed it, honestly) is there will only be FIVE last names to choose from. Unless you or someone else submits Mews as a suggestion and it gets picked, that will not be an option.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Somewhat off-topic I know, and at risk of starting a debate, but I feel it needs cleared up.

Resident is not a true last name. Its a placeholder for old scripts and systems that look for a first and last name from the way things used to be. You really only have one name if your "last name" is Resident.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

The way I read the blog post (and I just skimmed it, honestly) is there will only be FIVE last names to choose from. Unless you or someone else submits Mews as a suggestion and it gets picked, that will not be an option.

i had to go back and read the blog post.  The five names is about the competition that is being run injunction with the release.  5 users, from amongst those who submit last names, will win a free last name

is true what you say tho. If Mews is not submitted and/or Linden don't choose it themselves then Mews will never be on the list.  I would only select Mews as a lastname, even were I able, if I could also have Molly as my firstname. Is this that I am not sure is going to be possible.  Hope so tho. As I am not sure that I would see any point in changing to Janet Mews for example

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

i had to go back and read the blog post.  The five names is about the competition that is being run injunction with the release.  5 users, from amongst those who submit last names, will win a free last name

is true what you say tho. If Mews is not submitted and/or Linden don't choose it themselves then Mews will never be on the list.  I would only select Mews as a lastname, even were I able, if I could also have Molly as my firstname. Is this that I am not sure is going to be possible.  Hope so tho. As I am not sure that I would see any point in changing to Janet Mews for example

Ah, I thought there would only be those five names.

When I joined, I think I had only a dozen or so to choose from. At the time I did not know they changed the names after so long to another set (really, only found out recently...I thought it was by location or something at the time). Either way, there was not much selection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Caerolle Llewellyn said:

When I joined, I think I had only a dozen or so to choose from. At the time I did not know they changed the names after so long to another set (really, only found out recently...I thought it was by location or something at the time). Either way, there was not much selection.

yes there was a really odd way of doing last names.  At any given time there were about 40 Last Names available in those days. But the select pick list would only show about 12 or so at one time like you say

to get a name from the others not shown we had to refresh the list. But when refreshed, it would choose 12 (or so) at random. So some names would appear on the refresh over and over and some would take ages of refreshes to appear. Was super frustrating when a last name we knew was available  would not show up for ages if at all on that session. Why on refresh it did the random thing, instead of showing the next 12 or so available I dunno. Was like Teehee Linden was in charge of making the last name picker in those days

a few times since a Boss Linden has referred to the significant issue of people abandoning account creation on that then last name picker page. Boss Linden should go and see Teehee Linden about that, and when they go: teeheeheehee!, then Boss Linden can stick a box on their head

and this time, go with making all available last names visible and selectable by the user

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

yes there was a really odd way of doing last names.  At any given time there were about 40 Last Names available in those days. But the select pick list would only show about 12 or so at one time like you say

to get a name from the others not shown we had to refresh the list. But when refreshed, it would choose 12 (or so) at random. So some names would appear on the refresh over and over and some would take ages of refreshes to appear. Was super frustrating when a last name we knew was available  would not show up for ages if at all on that session. Why on refresh it did the random thing, instead of showing the next 12 or so available I dunno. Was like Teehee Linden was in charge of making the last name picker in those days

a few times since a Boss Linden has referred to the significant issue of people abandoning account creation on that then last name picker page. Boss Linden should go and see Teehee Linden about that, and when they go: teeheeheehee!, then Boss Linden can stick a box on their head

and this time, go with making all available last names visible and selectable by the user

In the end, like you, I probably won't much care. The name I really want, which I have in my Display Name, will for sure not be an option (well, I guess I could submit it, but little chance of it getting picked, and honestly, I would think less of it if thousands of other people had it!).

I wish we could pick our own last name. Or, even if our Display Name was more than just that, a name displayed above your head. One of my many disappointments with LL, absolutely nothing uses that name, and of course you cannot pick your own user name on the Forum. If it weren't for losing all my stuff, I might just create a new account with Caerolle.Claudel as my name. At least the names I want would be in there. But nothing I have that is of any value is transfer, so there you go.~

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LyricalBookworm said:

I'm looking forward to being able to have a surname so yay for that! I was hoping to be able to take my husband's last name, but now that may not be an option which saddens me. I will just have to wait and see I guess. I hope I can!

😊

Nope, you can’t take any previous legacy names. You would both have to choose a matching new one. You can revert though so his current surname wouldn’t be lost

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LyricalBookworm said:

I'm looking forward to being able to have a surname so yay for that! I was hoping to be able to take my husband's last name, but now that may not be an option which saddens me. I will just have to wait and see I guess. I hope I can!

😊

we dunno exactly what will be in the Last Name thing.  Linden did say in previous conversations that old last names will not be available. That they are legacy names and won't be repeated

if this is the case then what you and your husband could do is choose a new last name for both of you. That be a quite cool  thing to do 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

we dunno exactly what will be in the Last Name thing.  Linden did say in previous conversations that old last names will not be available. That they are legacy names and won't be repeated

if this is the case then what you and your husband could do is choose a new last name for both of you. That be a quite cool  thing to do 

I was thinking of doing that because yes you're right. It would be really sweet to choose a new last name together if that is going to actually be a viable option (meaning if we can actually get the same surnames coming up on a list to choose from). I will just have to wait and see like everyone else.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

You don't lose the name when you cancel premium do you?

i think that we would retain the name. As from what I read a name change is going to be a fee for each time changed.  The Premium seems only to be a qualifying step to obtain/pay for a name change. So once paid for then is no recurring fee to retain the name

last time this was discussed on here, a thought was if we did lose the name on reverting back to basic then might end up as Basic1 Resident. Next person to revert becoming Basic2 Resident 😺

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I do hope they take some of the joke names they will inevitably get seriously. I might be convinced to fork over for a month of premium for one or two of my alts. You don't lose the name when you cancel premium do you?

As far as I know that hasn't been stated officially one way or the other.   The last into we had (quite awhile ago towards the beginning of the year was that the cost would be equal to a few months of premium (this in a Town Hall by Grumpity)  and of course that could also change.    Perhaps someone else remembers some official statement that I have forgotten. I have no need for a name change so this hasn't been high on my radar. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 96 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...