Last names nearly here - and more. Yay!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Mollymews said:

yes there was a really odd way of doing last names.  At any given time there were about 40 Last Names available in those days. But the select pick list would only show about 12 or so at one time like you say

Not sure how old you are but at one time (like twelve years ago or so) there was a much longer list than twelve to pick from . Probably not 40 but way more than twelve. It seemed to be "too many" and perhaps that is why it was shorted?  Don't know, but if folks stopped signing up when they had to pick a name from a LONG list, that would certainly be incentive for LL to shorten the list. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

As far as I know that hasn't been stated officially one way or the other.   The last into we had (quite awhile ago towards the beginning of the year was that the cost would be equal to a few months of premium (this in a Town Hall by Grumpity)  and of course that could also change.    Perhaps someone else remembers some official statement that I have forgotten. I have no need for a name change so this hasn't been high on my radar. 

I don’t need one, but one did come to mind for a little used alt I have, assuming they actually put that name into the list, which is extremely unlikely, and don’t charge so much as to make a display name good enough. 

I think I would go Premium again just in order to change my firstname to Thorine and add a last name to it.

My first account (from '08, long inactive now) did have a last name, so I want one for this account, too.

I don't know if either of those name suggestions already exist in the legacy lastnames database, but here's a short list of suggestions I'd happily chose from:

However, I'll see what that name change will cost, and if the price will be worth it - to me.

Edited by ThorinII
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Not sure how old you are but at one time (like twelve years ago or so) there was a much longer list than twelve to pick from . Probably not 40 but way more than twelve. It seemed to be "too many" and perhaps that is why it was shorted?  Don't know, but if folks stopped signing up when they had to pick a name from a LONG list, that would certainly be incentive for LL to shorten the list. 

The lists contained 25 surnames and if you refreshed the page the names would change. If you refreshed a second time you would get the previous list so a total of 50 surnames on 2 lists. I don't know if that held true after 2009 as that was the last year I created an account.

Periodically the lists would change and you would get completely new names but I'm not sure how often LL changed them. And of course if you used one of the 3rd party sites you would get different names. It got to be a big mess and I think LL kind of lost control and that's why the 3rd party sites were dropped.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Thanks 5

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

you are probably more right than I am about how many was on the dropdown list

i also said about 40 available names which isn't quite true either.  As I now remember 40 was about how many names were released in each new batch. There were still other previous names available which had not yet been retired. So I think there was more probably several hundred names in total at any given time

however many there are I still would like to be able to page thru a list of them all, rather than a random refresh

• Thanks 2

• Lindens
3 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I do hope they take some of the joke names they will inevitably get seriously. I might be convinced to fork over for a month of premium for one or two of my alts. You don't lose the name when you cancel premium do you?

You do not lose your name when you cancel premium.  The one time name change fee gives you this new name for good. Unless you decide to change it again. Which you could - no limit on name changes. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 10

Im trying to find the positives in Last names and i dont see one , not one worth paying my hard earned lindens for , i dont  want to pick a last name from a short list that thousands and thousands of other people will be picking from , i dont want to pick Moon , sun , Angel , insert 50 more GENERIC names here and then have to PAY to pick from this Generic list . Whats so hard about letting people type in their own last names?  i have a last name that i have had for years now and so does all my family members in SL. Why cant we just pay to type in that last name and make it ours? picking from a Generic list of names is garbage and i for one will not be paying and will be sticking to Resident and just having my last name appear in my Display name.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, ThorinII said:

However, I'll see what that name change will cost, and if the price will be worth it - to me.

This. I'm not Premium, but IF it was worth the "risk" I would get it just for the name change. I've always wanted to change my name and I guess now would be the chance!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

New premium... Well, if it gives me 2048 of land with no extra tier fee and costs less than 7 extra per month I'll do it. Otherwise not interested. Unless a monthly RP session with Soft Linden is one of the perks.

Same here, except I'll take a daily session with Patch... 😍

The increased MP fees is a shame, but I am very pleased about the listing fee for Events. My only concern is that L$50 is not enough to kill all the duplicates - if they bring in a profit of more than L$50 they will still happen. And people who already don't post their non-Adult, non-Fake events won't be encouraged to do so. Maybe allow ONE free listing per day per Premium account, and charge more than L$50 for everything else?

1 hour ago, Grumpity Linden said:

You do not lose your name when you cancel premium.  The one time name change fee gives you this new name for good. Unless you decide to change it again. Which you could - no limit on name changes. 

This was the answer I just scrolled through all these pages on my phone for.  🧐 So I can go back to premium for a month- pay the extra to change my name and then drop the premium on month 2.  Woot.  🤩  I've been premium a couple times but just prefer to live with my SL brother and rather spend that money that a premium membership costs on just buying $L flat out.

Although I am still curious to find out what the  premium part deux  goodies are going to be about 🤔

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roseelvira said:

What is Concierge-level account..... I have  looked and it says basic or premium . What is that and where would i find the details .

As far as I know that maybe a term that that individual has mistakenly used.   Perhaps they have a misunderstanding about what premium accounts actually are.  by using the word concierge it sounds like they are saying that they think there is more than one premium level.  Because I'm like you Rose, I've never come across that term in relation to premium accounts.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

As far as I know that maybe a term that that individual has mistakenly used.   Perhaps they have a misunderstanding about what premium accounts actually are.  by using the word concierge it sounds like they are saying that they think there is more than one premium level.  Because I'm like you Rose, I've never come across that term in relation to premium accounts.  

It isn't a mistake.  When you own a certain amount of land directly (the way I remember it, it is a full private sim or more than half a mainland sim) you have concierge status.  I'll update if it turns out I am mistaken on the amount of mainland owned.

Edit:  Well, I wasn't completely wrong but my terminology was a bit fuzzy.  Here's a link to the actual information:  

Edited by DrawingRoom
Additional information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

16 minutes ago, roseelvira said:

What is Concierge-level account..... I have  looked and it says basic or premium . What is that and where would i find the details .

At one time there was a tier level of Mainland ownership (a full region, I think, or maybe it was a half region) that entitled the owner to some support that was at the time reserved for Estate owners. They've since changed the support available to (non-Concierge) Premium members (y'all have access to Live Chat now, right?) so I'm really not sure there's any difference to the Concierge distinction, if it even still exists.

Somebody else will no doubt know its current status, and have better memory of what that difference used to be.

[ETA: I bet it was a half-region, based on @DrawingRoom's post and the fact I'd even half-way remembered it that way before.]

Edited by Qie Niangao
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Reyetta Claven said:

Is LL having that much of a problem keeping the lights on? Oof.

Around 10-20 concurrent users in Sansar wont be able to keep that very "useful" platform (comedy once in a while, and walking simulator) afloat. Thats why the SL residents need to be milked.

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
typo
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Grumpity Linden said:

Since Premium "Plus" won out against "Elite", maybe we can still use "Elite" as a surname? 🙂

7 minutes ago, Resi Pfeffer said:

Around 10-20 concurrent users in Sansar wont be able to keep that very "usefull" platform (comedy once in a while, and walking simluator) afloat. Thats why the SL residents need to be milked.

It's certainly true that Sansar is nowhere near cash flow positive, and still shows no viable prospect of getting there, but the Lab recently dramatically reduced the burn rate of Sansar development. At the same time, Second Life remains fantastically profitable, so unless somebody at the Lab gets a big idea for new product development or acquisition, I expect to see a lot more advances in SL soon. (I'm a little baffled how the Lab has so many viewer projects going on at the same time, but that's been true all along, especially compared to the relative paucity of server-side fixes and features.)

Also, and more significant to the current changes: for years there's been widespread advice that SL's business model should diversify from the very high dependence on the Land product. Even before Ebbe's rein they tried to get more income from Premium membership (but couldn't figure out how to get more Premium members, except with Land -- none of the other benefits they've tried proved very enticing). At some point it seems they realized they simply had to reduce Land costs and/or offer more Bonus tier, both of which they've started doing, and shift the revenue burden to customer-generated content (Marketplace fees, Lindex charges, etc) where they still have a lot of running room left, despite all the "who moved my cheese?" whining.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Since Premium "Plus" won out against "Elite", maybe we can still use "Elite" as a surname? 🙂

I would be willing to pay for a Premium +++ Super Deluxe membership, so you all of you will have to call me "Theresa, Countess of Bavaria" 😜

Edited by Resi Pfeffer
  • Haha 6

13 hours ago, Cinos Field said:

Marketplace fee increase - sad but I do believe it's necessary, SL's fees have always been super low.

New last names, yay! Can't wait to be something more exciting than Field.

New premium... Well, if it gives me 2048 of land with no extra tier fee and costs less than 7 extra per month I'll do it. Otherwise not interested. Unless a monthly RP session with Soft Linden is one of the perks.

I'm completely with you on this one. If they are going to increase MP fees, I'm only interested in Premium Plus if it comes with a land increase.  As a creator, I could really care less about the other "features". If not, I will just continue to downsize, get rid of my second premium account and keep just the one basic and 1024 land.  I can't keep up with the squeezing.  😆

14 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I expect to see a lot more advances in SL soon. (I'm a little baffled how the Lab has so many viewer projects going on

Like what? Can we expect having a mobile client for Android and iOS anytime soon? Maybe in 2023, when this weird internet things are not "Neuland" anymore?

• Haha 2

I'm in SL for 12 years and the whole thing leaves me speechless. We got promised a shift from land tier to MP provisions, now we get a raise in MP provisions (after a raise in payout provisions earlier this year) and no word about a decrease in land tier. And that with a comparison to large app shops or other worlds that have higher fees, just that one gets a complete sim there for free. I would be happy to pay 30% MP fee if I would get a sim for free in my premium membership. Land prices and lag are the huge problems in SL in my eyes. If more people owned land, more would need to buy things on MP and thus would probably overcompensate a higher fee.

And why limit the name change to premium members? You could have taken x dollar for a name change from anyone who wants it and could have offered a free change as goodie for someone who subs for a year. Instead we get a premium plus membership. Will that include 4k sqm premium land at least?

Please scrap the pointless Sansar (I have tested it a lot and besides it having nice graphics its not usable so far) and invest the money into SL. With all the money burnt, you could have rewritten whole SL.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1402 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.