Last names nearly here - and more. Yay!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

18 minutes ago, missyrideout said:

Exactly, you have one, so of course you can't see any difference. For others it represents something more.  Speaking only for myself, to me it represents becoming a fully fledged citizen of the grid after many years as a member of the "Resident" underclass. Which of course sounds crazy to you, from the lofty position of already having a grand old name! Let's say you had to pay $50 USD or become TarinaSewell Resident, would you pony up? No? Well you are a more evolved person than I. I want my vanity plate. 

Don't let people get at you over how you feel.  They're your feelings and I understand them.

• Like 1

Avatar age is the most visible form of -- yes, artificial,  silly and meaningless -- status in-world. Last names have always been the dividing line between old and new. That won't change of course because everyone will know we didn't earn them! TONGUE FIRMLY IN CHEEK. It's really not that important and I'm not hurt over it.  But I will pay. 

Edited by missyrideout
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, missyrideout said:

Avatar age is the most visible form of -- yes, artificial,  silly and meaningless -- status in-world. Last names have always been the dividing line between old and new. That won't change of course because everyone will know we didn't earn them! TONGUE FIRMLY IN CHEEK. It's really not that important and I'm not hurt over it.  But I will pay. 

I think it depends how much significance you give it. I personally never thought of myself as higher status because i happen to have a last name. In fact i have always wanted to get rid of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

who?

Name and shame in here is generally frowned on right?

But... it's super easy to find. All the products have very similar image shoots, and the products sold clearly come from a diverse range of merchants - most of whom are listed side by side with the stolen goods.

Everytime I search for something like "bellezza" and then filter on fullperms - they're most of the results. But they're doing it across all mesh bodies.

We're seeing a lot of fullperm kit sellers abandon inworld / MP sales as a result...

I actually understand them raising the commission a bit... but how are they going to 'sell that' to merchants if the store itself looks like a fence for stolen property...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

1 minute ago, roseelvira said:

Is it manditory ?  i am fine with the resident thinggy  .  I   never paid any attention to the last name .  Surprised it is that big of a deal 

7 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I personally don't see the appeal of surnames. I put mine in my display name instead.

Both of you have readable names. Though one of you had to compound two words to get it...

A lot of people newer than I have names with random characters in them. For those folks this will be a game changer.

4 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

A lot of people newer than I have names with random characters in them. For those folks this will be a game changer.

Confused? . Help  me out here . The people w characters did they chose the characters or did the  you get into sl join thinggy do that  meaning the computer on the ll  side  ?

Edited by roseelvira
keyboard

And even if one has a readable display name there are always those who, for whatever reason, don't use display names at all. So I can be referred to by my preferred name even in Firestorm Support or talking to some old curmudgeon who refuses to acknowledge that display names exist. (Which is a thing, and if you have a last name of course you don't know it's totally a thing!)

Edited by missyrideout
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I was just going to ponder... new fees... new monetization... and now Chuck Norris... Will we get banned for criticizing China before or after this goes live...

/looksaroundfor_Activision.Linden 😮

Jokes that most of you didn't get aside...

The lack of an 'Activision Linden' is something we should be very grateful for here.

This place actually IS more monetized than your typical MMO... but we;ve always gotten value for that and we've got an amazing amount of ability to be left alone to do 'our thing' that no 'Activision/Blizzard Linden' nor his masters in China would ever stand for.

I won't be happy is premium goes up in price. But if it's mild I can live with it...

Event listing fees are a good thing in my opinion...

And most of the active Linden / Mole involvement I've seen in the last few years has, jokes aside; been amazingly positive.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, roseelvira said:

Confused? . Help  me out here . The people w characters did they chose the characters or did the  you get into sl join thinggy do that  meaning the computer on the ll  side  ?

Lets say you want the name 'Rose' for your SL account

It's taken

You try 'roseelvira'

that's taken

You try 'rose' plus all kinds of things that have meaning to you... all taken...

eventually you just log in as r0s3number342819038

- and you spend the next several years trying to get people to address you by your display name... and hating the name you got... and looking at that person over there names 'roseelvira' and trying not to resent her, nor the person who's named 'rose catnap'...

Then one day Linden Lab says you can be 'rose [myfavorsiteieword]'... and the price is not too high...

That's a big day for you.

Yes, some people actually choose to have odd characters in their name... I've met the 'rose123 catnap's of SL... but they're rare. A LOT more people got stuck with contrived names because all the ones they wanted were taken.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, roseelvira said:

ok understand .. 

We residents share some blame on this.

The day the single name thing happened none of the people I knew or talked to believed it was permanent and/or the only option.

Everyone I talked to, self included... made as many single word name accounts as they could think of... I suspect half the English dictionary and a good portion of the Spanish, French, and Italian ones got removed from choice on day one...

I regret making all those accounts... I wish I could hand all but exactly one of them back... I don't even know what half the names were... I bet a lot of people are with me on that... If we'd paid attention and predicted how this would go that would never have happened... but it did.

Marketplace fee increase - sad but I do believe it's necessary, SL's fees have always been super low.

New last names, yay! Can't wait to be something more exciting than Field.

New premium... Well, if it gives me 2048 of land with no extra tier fee and costs less than 7 extra per month I'll do it. Otherwise not interested. Unless a monthly RP session with Soft Linden is one of the perks.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I didn't see a description of the "Premium Plus" benefits in the announcement blog post..?

They're holding that one about as tight as a Tesla product reveal... (which is tonight... woot...) Ya'll aint gonna know nut'n till it's time ta know some'tn...

I might actually name change one of my alts... having a name that is the same as my name minus the 'cat' part was funny when I did it... to see if they would block me from doing it... but the joke wore off years ago and I need to decide if I will abandon that alt or change it to something... O.o
- like everytime I log into that alt I think about boxing her inventory and scrambling the password to something I can't remember... but now I think I will wait till I see the cost of the name change...

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I was just going to ponder... new fees... new monetization... and now Chuck Norris... Will we get banned for criticizing China before or after this goes live...

/looksaroundfor_Activision.Linden 😮

That said I support the event listing fee.

I also noticed they'll have it set up for reoccurring events --- wonder if one fee will cover that or a charge for each event?  I do see the events currently getting abused, sometimes people using alts to flood the thing, especially for non music stuff.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1409 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.