Last names nearly here - and more. Yay!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yay for last names! It doesn’t affect me directly, but I completely get why plenty of people are excited about that. But, I already have trouble remembering where and when I met half the people on my friends list, how in the heck am I going to remember anyone when everyone changes their name?! 

*Note to self to clean out my friends list before this goes live*

1 hour ago, missyrideout said:

Exactly, you have one, so of course you can't see any difference. For others it represents something more.  Speaking only for myself, to me it represents becoming a fully fledged citizen of the grid after many years as a member of the "Resident" underclass. Which of course sounds crazy to you, from the lofty position of already having a grand old name! Let's say you had to pay $50 USD or become TarinaSewell Resident, would you pony up? No? Well you are a more evolved person than I. I want my vanity plate. 

A couple of years ago, I would have understood your position better, as accounts with no lastname were all fresh alts and newbies and everyone else had a last name. But lastnames are almost gone for a decade now. I was one of the last being able to pick one. Accounts from the winter of 2010 already started with resident and today I'm sometimes one of maybe two people in a place with a lastname.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, roseelvira said:

Is it manditory ?  i am fine with the resident thinggy  .  I   never paid any attention to the last name .  Surprised it is that big of a deal 

No, it is NOT mandatory. You can keep your original name if you prefer it.

Here is all the information I have collected about the upcoming last name changes, in one blogpost: 

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/03/22/more-details-on-the-upcoming-ability-to-change-your-user-name-in-second-life/

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Neither do I but it is what it is and has been since Basics were first offered in... 2005/6. Somewhere around then. 

I don't care what a persons account is let alone consider it a upper or lower class... seriously, this is how people think in SL? No wonder I never really fit in.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Vanity Fair said:

No, it is NOT mandatory. You can keep your original name if you prefer it.

Here is all the information I have collected about the upcoming last name changes, in one blogpost: 

https://ryanschultz.com/2018/03/22/more-details-on-the-upcoming-ability-to-change-your-user-name-in-second-life/

There is a conflict of what Patch said and what the blog post says.

Blog post:

Name Changes will be exclusively for Premium members at an additional fee. 

Patch:

It will be available to everyone.  ;)

So which is it?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I think when Patch mentioned that, all the details weren't worked out yet.

Vanity's blog post was updated with what Patch said today, 11/21 and the LL blog post was made today as well. So yeah there is a conflict in the information.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

16 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

A couple of years ago, I would have understood your position better, as accounts with no lastname were all fresh alts and newbies and everyone else had a last name. But lastnames are almost gone for a decade now. I was one of the last being able to pick one. Accounts from the winter of 2010 already started with resident and today I'm sometimes one of maybe two people in a place with a lastname.

Indeed. My feelings on last names were formed (festered? lol) over the last almost 10 years, not in the last couple. The fact that we notice those 1-2 people in a crowd is a perfect example of the imagined cachet of a last name. Not that I want one to bring myself to some exalted status, far from it. I wish they never got rid of them, and I wish the return was for everyone free of charge.

• Like 1

Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for the holiday edition of "OH MY GOD THE LINDENS SUCK AND THEY'RE EFFING EVERYTHING UP AND SECOND LIFE IS GOING TO DIE BECAUSE LINDEN LAB IS OBVIOUSLY GOING BANKRUPT AND THE SKY IS FALLING AND EVERYTHING IS AWFUL". 

Thanks, Lindens, for everything you've done and everything you're doing, and everything you've got planned for the future. I think I'm going to start a GoFundMe for you guys to fund a holiday happy hour where each of you do a shot for every YOU GUYS SUCK post in this thread!

You're awesome and appreciated!

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I like last names. They add character and substance to the world. Everyone remembers the great era of the Psalterys. It's a certain era in SL. Like "Neva" is a certain era. There are the Fairchangs, a name created because Garth Fairlight and Pituca Chang got married in SL and RL. The Lindens then created "Fairchang". Those were the days!

Here are some last names I think the Lindens should add to the list:

Mueller

Volker

Sondland

Vindman

Yovanovich

Taylor

Holmes

• Haha 3

18 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for the holiday edition of "OH MY GOD THE LINDENS SUCK AND THEY'RE EFFING EVERYTHING UP AND SECOND LIFE IS GOING TO DIE BECAUSE LINDEN LAB IS OBVIOUSLY GOING BANKRUPT AND THE SKY IS FALLING AND EVERYTHING IS AWFUL". 

Thanks, Lindens, for everything you've done and everything you're doing, and everything you've got planned for the future. I think I'm going to start a GoFundMe for you guys to fund a holiday happy hour where each of you do a shot for every YOU GUYS SUCK post in this thread!

You're awesome and appreciated!

Not everyone who finds flaws in certain aspects feels like LL s completely awful, or anything of the sort.

I give LL props all the damn time, because they most definitely deserve it on many fronts. They have done a lot of truly amazing things, have helped to provide a world that I personally find to be pretty damn magnificent, and continue to improve in many areas where they once weren't all so great. They have always had my greatest thanks for so very many things.  

On the MP front, that's a horse of a different color....LL has flubbed up since before they even opened it, and continues to prove, on a daily basis, that they have no damn inkling what they're doing. I really do have no qualms telling them when things are going amazing, it should come as no surprise to anyone that I also won't have any qualms telling them when they're screwing up. Any company that can't accept that, shouldn't be in business, period. Frankly, LL has no damn clue wtf it's doing with the MP, at all, and hasn't, ever. They're making things worse and it's pissing off the very same people they're now trying to get to pay higher fees. I'm not willing to sit by and say that's ok. It's not the amount of the fee that bothers me, because I'm adult enough to recognize these are important parts of business. It is the fact that ANY fee is being proposed at all and that LL thinks lowering LE fees (which, again, few merchants even use, far fewer than ever, lol) is going to appease people given the fact that the longest lasting issue which has grown exponentially recently, is only getting worse (and LL's response is akin to "oops my bad"-when they are 100% the cause for it, not merchants. This issue has literally plagued the MP since before it went live and is not only causing items to be removed but whole sections of stores and even entire stores :/  That is NOT okay, and LL expecting more from the people they're screwing over left and right, is also, not okay. 

People can be grateful for the good things, and not kiss their ass when the bad rears its head. If LL can't handle that.....eh....(though I am certain they an handle it just fine, lol). Well, some of us can, lol.

Edited by Tari Landar
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

I don't really care about the rest, but the more they charge for Marketplace listings, the better, especially if it's retroactive. Love to see all that old junk swept to oblivion, and make it prohibitively expensive to make individual listings for every trivial tweak of an item. 

As it stands, I'd shed no tears if Marketplace were to simply cease to exist, it's such an unnavigable trash heap now. If this rescues it, cool. If instead Marketplace closes down completely, that'd be fine, too. Maybe they'd replace it with something usable. Or not. Either way it's better without the embarrassment that's there now.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Tari Landar said:

Not everyone who finds flaws in certain aspects feels like LL s completely awful, or anything of the sort.

I give LL props all the damn time, because they most definitely deserve it on many fronts. They have done a lot of truly amazing things, have helped to provide a world that I personally find to be pretty damn magnificent, and continue to improve in many areas where they once weren't all so great. They have always had my greatest thanks for so very many things.  

On the MP front, that's a horse of a different color....LL has flubbed up since before they even opened it, and continues to prove, on a daily basis, that they have no damn inkling what they're doing. I really do have no qualms telling them when things are going amazing, it should come as no surprise to anyone that I also won't have any qualms telling them when they're screwing up. Any company that can't accept that, shouldn't be in business, period. Frankly, LL has no damn clue wtf it's doing with the MP, at all, and hasn't, ever. They're making things worse and it's pissing off the very same people they're now trying to get to pay higher fees. I'm not willing to sit by and say that's ok. It's not the amount of the fee that bothers me, because I'm adult enough to recognize these are important parts of business. It is the fact that ANY fee is being proposed at all and that LL thinks lowering LE fees (which, again, few merchants even use, far fewer than ever, lol) is going to appease people given the fact that the longest lasting issue which has grown exponentially recently, is only getting worse (and LL's response is akin to "oops my bad"-when they are 100% the cause for it, not merchants. This issue has literally plagued the MP since before it went live and is not only causing items to be removed but whole sections of stores and even entire stores :/  That is NOT okay, and LL expecting more from the people they're screwing over left and right, is also, not okay. 

People can be grateful for the good things, and not kiss their ass when the bad rears its head. If LL can't handle that.....eh....(though I am certain they an handle it just fine, lol). Well, some of us can, lol.

Well, what is exactly wrong with the MP? It generally works.

Oh, except for those times when LL accidentally unlists ALL of your products. ALL. Which for me is like hundreds, given not only the gatchas but all these little tschotchkes I make. Hey, what's up with that! And then you yourself have to list them all again. There's no "going back in time" as there is on a sim.

The re-delivery page is great because so many merchants either don't offer it or hide it so well in their stores that you buy 10 things before you find it. Oh, I guess that's the reason they hide it, then.

The only problem is that it is SO SLOW. I don't understand why. I do realize that searching for an item I got in 2016 is something I have to "leave and go cook dinner" to execute.

The Lindens listened to all the forums agitation, which isn't representative of anything, really, and now they're going to enable the blocking of limited quantities which are mainly gatchas. Who is going to use it except a few forums' harridans?

I'd much rather they block the textures of certain farm game crates so that you can look for actual textures and items, for that matter.

What's not to like? The MP is great!

29 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

I don't really care about the rest, but the more they charge for Marketplace listings, the better, especially if it's retroactive. Love to see all that old junk swept to oblivion, and make it prohibitively expensive to make individual listings for every trivial tweak of an item. 

As it stands, I'd shed no tears if Marketplace were to simply cease to exist, it's such an unnavigable trash heap now. If this rescues it, cool. If instead Marketplace closes down completely, that'd be fine, too. Maybe they'd replace it with something usable. Or not. Either way it's better without the embarrassment that's there now.

Oh, I disagree. I don't want the Lindens to "clean up" the MP because they don't know what is gold.

One of my favourite things is to search on the term "Soviet" to find absolute gems. Things that no one knows exist. 

I have sometimes spent entire evenings with SL friends discussing our "finds" of obscure items on the MP.

Really, someone could make a blog on the weird things they found on the MP and they could fill it every day and keep people constantly riveted.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

There is a conflict of what Patch said and what the blog post says.

Blog post:

Patch:

So which is it?

Just to clear this up, there is no conflict of information,  There is an important piece of context missing:

1e35eeac3bef02948fdea98e08dee9a7.png

For clarity, my response was to:  "Everyone", as in accounts with the first name/surname combination versus "Resident" last named accounts.   Everyone regardless of account name structure (surnamed or Resident) can have a name change.   I was not responding to discussion at that time about what account types (Premium, benefits etc.) in that forum thread. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1371 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.