Jump to content
Bree Giffen

Making SL more welcoming to males

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Why is it you think that there are so many bdsm and gor players in sl?

   Because Second Life offers people to be who they want to be, and explore things which perhaps they can't in real life? I don't see in what way that is related to the topic itself though; the BDSM scene, as most others, also appears to have a shortage of men. What it looks like in Gor, I have no idea.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Why is it you think that there are so many bdsm and gor players in sl?

SL is a safe grounds to do weird stuff.

”normal people” are a minority here in a world of internet subculture 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Orwar said:

   Because Second Life offers people to be who they want to be, and explore things which perhaps they can't in real life? I don't see in what way that is related to the topic itself though; the BDSM scene, as most others, also appears to have a shortage of men. What it looks like in Gor, I have no idea.

Free Women outnumber Free Men greatly in SL-Gor. Take into account that a lot of the Free Women also have a Slave Alt and you can imagine the rest :) 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Conall DeCuir said:

Free Women outnumber Free Men greatly in SL-Gor. Take into account that a lot of the Free Women also have a Slave Alt and you can imagine the rest :) 

Gorean! I knew it. Someone owes me a fiver. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Conall DeCuir said:

Wrong! i wouldn't enter there for money

Bugger. You win, D.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 5:29 AM, Bree Giffen said:

Driving your car off a cliff should cause an explosion!

 Heh :)There are actually lots of cars and bikes in SL where if you hit the guard rail, things will come off. If your vehicle gets too broken down from your reckless driving it will eventually actually explode.

Guys, find stuff that interest you. Whether that be chess, sailing, racing, literature, whatever. Probably the most often advice given in SL, but it's true. I've never propositioned a woman in my SL life, but have still gotten approached quite often. All times by someone who had been observing and interacting with me. All relationships I have, interesting friends with benenefits if you like, as well as all others, have been built over some time.

I've also not sought instant gratification, but if that's your thing get your avi in order. Seems to be one way of getting some attention.

Edited by HeathcliffMontague
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 11:47 AM, HeathcliffMontague said:

 Heh :)There are actually lots of cars and bikes in SL where if you hit the guard rail, things will come off. If your vehicle gets too broken down from your reckless driving it will eventually actually explode.

Guys, find stuff that interest you. Whether that be chess, sailing, racing, literature, whatever. Probably the most often advice given in SL, but it's true. I've never propositioned a woman in my SL life, but have still gotten approached quite often. All times by someone who had been observing and interacting with me. All relationships I have, interesting friends with benenefits if you like, as well as all others, have been built over some time.

I've also not sought instant gratification, but if that's your thing get your avi in order. Seems to be one way of getting some attention.

 Sound very appealing .... to me.. a female.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 7:29 AM, Conall DeCuir said:

Free Women outnumber Free Men greatly in SL-Gor. Take into account that a lot of the Free Women also have a Slave Alt and you can imagine the rest :) 

That whole Gor thing is beyond stupid to me.  But then again I run around in SL with elf ears.. so.. who am I to judge.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2019 at 6:44 AM, Orwar said:

   Because Second Life offers people to be who they want to be, and explore things which perhaps they can't in real life? I don't see in what way that is related to the topic itself though; the BDSM scene, as most others, also appears to have a shortage of men. What it looks like in Gor, I have no idea.

well ok forum topic police, thanks for speaking up .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 10:34 AM, AmandaKeen said:

Well, maybe a special SL Primer for RL males?

I’ve seen many, many males show up thinking that SL is exclusively a sex-game ala Red Light District or a Looter Shooter. 

Of course, that would involve reading the instructions - which not everyone is into...... I won’t touch that stereotype as its not always accurate...

Alternately, creating a direct-path for males *looking* for those things might also serve to keep them engaged?

SL has plenty of males who are not exclusive sex-tourists or First Person Shooter junkies, but I mention those to things because I get asked where to find by the occasional wandering dude......

Alternately, it may just be possible that Second Life appeals more broadly to feminine and feminine-adjacent personalities?

Hey, I do like my pencil-skirt collection.......

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f29b7d52145c210e92f23

Hi Amanda, lol

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 7:48 PM, Bree Giffen said:

SL seems to be tilted toward the feminine. Is that right? How do we make it more masculine? Maybe more pickup trucks. What would you suggest.

Well, you could start by having a greater ability to determine which of the females are actually female. For starters.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Well, you could start by having a greater ability to determine which of the females are actually female. For starters.

 

I think it would be a pretty crippling blow to SL to provide tools that sacrifice the current ability to experiment and explore identities, merely to placate those who succumb to moral panic at the thought that they can't be certain of the set of genitalia attached to those with whom they are associating.

This is a seriously bad idea, and one that, happily, isn't going to fly or find much support here.

I'm actually quite genuinely surprised that you would suggest it, Prok. I hadn't taken you for one of the A/S/L types.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 5:30 PM, ArgontheDevil Ormega said:

 I think it is more that men just don't buy as many outfits.  

Speak for yourself!  Some of us are terrible clotheshorses, and proud of it!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 7:54 AM, Catrie said:

Get more stores to offer more than crotch hammocks,  board shorts and tank tops.  I'm so tired of seeing the lack of good mens clothing options. We women have endless stores to go to.  Men only get a handful and most times, they offer the same things, just different textures. Maybe if there were  more for men, more men would feel it's worth it to log into SL. 

My experience, there is plenty of variety in mens clothing.  My female friends, however, are the ones who complain that it's hard to find womens clothes that aren't *****ty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2019 at 9:05 AM, iamyourneighbour said:

While the other side has ample time and is typing up thesis response,this is what dear Scylla is doing:

Talks about gender issues to bait out the hard line misogynist and misandrist then try to drag people who are otherwise neutral into the war, Scylla, I would like to let you know humans do not separate into mere two categories and you are dehumanizing them by putting them into two categories. 

Then after people who are neutral leave the conversation because they have things to do, work to go to, kids to look after you say 'ha I win they ran away'

Then when you run out valid points you will resolve to pick on grammar mistakes. Your strategy is to wait long enough for other side to leave. 

You may think there is a gender war, like fringe members of the society thinking there is a 'race war'. Well there isn't. Stop trying to divide people. 

Great to see the thread is still alive

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 9:38 AM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I think it would be a pretty crippling blow to SL to provide tools that sacrifice the current ability to experiment and explore identities, merely to placate those who succumb to moral panic at the thought that they can't be certain of the set of genitalia attached to those with whom they are associating.

This is a seriously bad idea, and one that, happily, isn't going to fly or find much support here.

I'm actually quite genuinely surprised that you would suggest it, Prok. I hadn't taken you for one of the A/S/L types.

I see haven't done baiting yet. What do you do away from the computer anyway?

I am just curious you do seem to have a lot of time to bait people on the internet, are you Gerald Broflovski from South Park?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iamyourneighbour said:

I see haven't done baiting yet. What do you do away from the computer anyway?

I am just curious you do seem to have a lot of time to bait people on the internet, are you Gerald Broflovski from South Park?

Just when I was becoming worried that you no longer cared!

Your responses to my posts and references generally to me are beginning to look just a weeeeeeeee bit like harassment. Your focus in at least your last 4 posts (and probably more: I haven't done a comprehensive survey) relating to me have ignored the substance of what I've said, and of the thread in general, and have been instead almost entirely about attacking and baiting (O Irony!) me.

Now, personally, this doesn't really bother me too much: I've dealt with vastly more entertaining, literate, and sophisticated attempts to troll me than you have to offer. It's pretty easy for me to ignore you, and in fact, this is what I hope to do from this point on.

Nonetheless, I am not a fan of online harassment and bullying, and I've seen this sort of thing all too often directed at women online in particular. It might fly at 4Chan or The Donald or wherever you've been practicing it to this point, but it really doesn't belong here. For that reason, I should let you know that, if you keep this up, I will be ARing these posts.

I haven't ARed anyone (other than possibly obvious spammers) in probably close to a decade, but I think the principle of discouraging this kind of posting is important enough that I will, reluctantly, make an exception.

I would ask you, then, to cease from this kind of trolling. It would save me some not insignificant time and effort. I would be grateful.

And that's really the last thing I have to say to you.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iamyourneighbour said:

I see haven't done baiting yet. What do you do away from the computer anyway?

I am just curious you do seem to have a lot of time to bait people on the internet, are you Gerald Broflovski from South Park?

Hey, quit coming after Scylla.

Besides, in the debate arena, most especially with Scylla, haven't you noticed you're pretty much out of your league?

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Just when I was becoming worried that you no longer cared!

Your responses to my posts and references generally to me are beginning to look just a weeeeeeeee bit like harassment. Your focus in at least your last 4 posts (and probably more: I haven't done a comprehensive survey) relating to me have ignored the substance of what I've said, and of the thread in general, and have been instead almost entirely about attacking and baiting (O Irony!) me.

Now, personally, this doesn't really bother me too much: I've dealt with vastly more entertaining, literate, and sophisticated attempts to troll me than you have to offer. It's pretty easy for me to ignore you, and in fact, this is what I hope to do from this point on.

Nonetheless, I am not a fan of online harassment and bullying, and I've seen this sort of thing all too often directed at women online in particular. It might fly at 4Chan or The Donald or wherever you've been practicing it to this point, but it really doesn't belong here. For that reason, I should let you know that, if you keep this up, I will be ARing these posts.

I haven't ARed anyone (other than possibly obvious spammers) in probably close to a decade, but I think the principle of discouraging this kind of posting is important enough that I will, reluctantly, make an exception.

I would ask you, then, to cease from this kind of trolling. It would save me some not insignificant time and effort. I would be grateful.

And that's really the last thing I have to say to you.

"I would ask you, then, to cease from this kind of trolling"

Oh that's rich coming from the forum resident troll herself! Seems like you and your forum warriors are the ones instigating forum fighting, so I think you are the one that needs to put a break on your trolling. The amount you post is like you are taking forum fighting as a full time job.

Nothing wrong with pointing that out, or are you just afraid someone caught you out?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scylla, trolling!?

That's so totally, unbelievably, laughably off the wall.

Yes, she posts here a lot.  And most of her posts are insightful, clever, and downright funny. 

I am not one of Scylla's Forum Warriors, but if I ever find a recruiting office, I'm joining up.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Scylla's Forum Warriors

Oh, you mean my small army of alts!!

Which probably includes you.

I'm not entirely sure, to be honest: I'm lousy at remembering all those passwords. 😞

(And thank you for your kind words, Lindal!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...