Making SL more welcoming to males

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

I've come up with a list of improvements that Linden Lab and Residents can implement to make SL more male oriented. The focus should be on doing things. Not talking or shopping but real action. Active stuff.

1. A better physics engine for more realistic vehicles. Flying a plane, driving a car or sailing a boat should look and feel believable. Driving your car off a cliff should cause an explosion!

2. Better sim crossings to continue with the idea of having a better vehicle experience.

3. Trees that can be chopped down with axes and chainsaws. The physics engine will help with this.

4. Something with guns like having wild animals running around that can be hunted. 

5. Something with power tools like having to actually cut a prim cube from a log that you chopped down. 

5. An intricate simulation of grilling and smoking meat.

I'd be all in favour of the first two. And I have also played a critter-shooting game in SL once many years ago. It was fun, but not very good.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

I'm mostly a reader in the forums, and mostly interested in other subforums.  I peeked in here to see why the huge post-count.  Ya'll are typing about things that aren't really about SL at all.  RL has pretty well covered these topics.  The debates are not really an SL topic.  I'd recommend taking it to RL.  Like these.

Except real people use SL, and they bring their beliefs, values, and behaviors along with them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matty Luminos said:

And I have also played a critter-shooting game in SL once many years ago. It was fun, but not very good.

I remember an inworld zombie game I used to play very occasionally ages ago. It too wasn't very good, I suppose, but very satisfying. But I'd also start to panic when they came on too fast.

If what you're killing is already dead, that's ok, ethically, right? Asking for PETA . . .

24 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I remember an inworld zombie game I used to play very occasionally ages ago. It too wasn't very good, I suppose, but very satisfying. But I'd also start to panic when they came on too fast.

If what you're killing is already dead, that's ok, ethically, right? Asking for PETA . . .

I can't even remember what I was shooting, but I am pretty sure it was some kind of animal, not zombies. Ducks, maybe?

It was so long ago they were made of actual prims, and as far as I know, PETA doesn't cover prim ducks. 😁

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Happy International Men's Day, everyone!

Everyday is International Man Day

Rather the point but why bother.

Read up on the history and work out why the 'greeting card' arm of the US embraces.

Plus last thursday was International Day of the Whelk (soon to be consumed into International Day Of Snot In A Shell Day)

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Read up on the history and work out why the 'greeting card' arm of the US embraces.

Plus last thursday was International Day of the Whelk (soon to be consumed into International Day Of Snot In A Shell Day)

I agree with you about the greetings card scam.  I shan't forgive them for hijacking Mothering Sunday.  Still, the acknowledgement of the day sans card-buying cost is surely a compliment?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Okay, happy International Man Day to every one but you. 

tenor.gif.2f2719f3ad5a2ed6eccca4548a5e823a.gif

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I agree with you about the greetings card scam.  I shan't forgive them for hijacking Mothering Sunday.  Still, the acknowledgement of the day sans card-buying cost is surely a compliment?

6 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Okay, happy International Man Day to every one but you. 

tenor.gif.2f2719f3ad5a2ed6eccca4548a5e823a.gif

This is HIS day.

If he wants to express his manhood by being grumpy and cynical, then he has my full support.

Besides, that's one less greeting card to buy.

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is HIS day.

If he wants to express his manhood by being grumpy and cynical, then he has my full support.

Besides, that's one less greeting card to buy.

But it wasn't directed at Garnet! It was directed at backwards Chris who was extra-grumpy about "why bother?"

If he doesn't want to bother, then I shan't force my good cheer upon him! 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, sirhc DeSantis said:

Today is also World Toilet Day. I wasn't going to bring it up. Still, sanitation is an important issue.

It's been a nice day on social media with people taking some time to praise the good men in their lives and talk about issues such as men's mental health and male suicide. I can't object. 

• Like 4

On 11/18/2019 at 7:14 PM, Storm Clarence said:

You don't see how your words are rude, stereotypical; reeking of misandry and would turn men off from this game?

Yes and no.

Why do you get a free pass? Just askin.

Some people have a sense of humour. Just sayin’

On 11/18/2019 at 1:26 PM, Orwar said:

But I do find it very strange, with that 'equality' in mind, how misandry is socially acceptable and often encouraged, whilst the mere accusation of misogyny may cost you your job, your livelihood, and in extent, your home and life. How can there be equality or even democracy, when people are cut down for voicing an opinion?

Strange, yes.  Equality it is not, but rather the opposite.  

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

Why is it you think that there are so many bdsm and gor players in sl?

Because Second Life offers people to be who they want to be, and explore things which perhaps they can't in real life? I don't see in what way that is related to the topic itself though; the BDSM scene, as most others, also appears to have a shortage of men. What it looks like in Gor, I have no idea.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.