How Many Items Are in Your Inventory? Are You Keeping Stuff Because of Bakes on Mesh?

Vanity Fair

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 9/8/2019 at 10:12 AM, Vanity Fair said:

So...I'm curious. How big is your SL inventory?

Do you throw out old stuff regularly? Do you just let it accumulate? 

How do you organize it? *Do* you organize it?

I'll start. My current inventory size is *cough*239,322*cough* and I once made a very half-hearted attempt to filter the items older than 4,000 days (see picture) and throw out some of my oldest system layer and flexiprim clothing. Then I gave up and just kept everything, forever and ever, Amen. I just tell myself that with Bakes on Mesh, I still might just need something...

*sigh* I think I need to join a 12 Step group... somebody call the people over at TLC, I might just have a new reality TV show idea for them....

How to Sort Your INventory 7 Sept 2019.png

Working with filter date now..... (thanks for that idea).I've found a lot of 'old clothes' that I may still wear so meantime I am boxing them rather than deleting them, later I may decide to delete the full boxes. Its hard to let go atm. It has made a difference. 

Since a few years ago, when I buy something, I always delete everything not my size and LM, pictures, demo, notes (I dont need), and empty trash before I leave. When saving in Appearance (Firestorm) I use to include everything needed to 'wear' but each item adds to the count so now, I have everyday HUDS  saved at top of list and leave them out of each individual entry.   For Shoes, Jewelry, Hair items, I group in Appearance and then edit out everything else (including body) so they can be 'added to existing outfit'). This has saved me heaps in the overall count. Just removing the Maitraya Hud from each saved outfit has reduced the count by 2000. 

Edited by CheriColette
  • Like 1

I pay a monthly fee to LL so I can have my inventory and all its glory and all the multiple duplicates of object and dodads that I have accumulated throughout my SL journey. So to hell with your small, organized inventory I say live and let LL sort them out when my sl ava dies.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I pay a monthly fee to LL so I can have my inventory and all its glory and all the multiple duplicates of object and dodads that I have accumulated throughout my SL journey. So to hell with your small, organized inventory I say live and let LL sort them out when my sl ava dies.

.....but it takes time to load inventory. Precious time you could be out in-world having fun. 

2 minutes ago, CheriColette said:

.....but it takes time to load inventory. Precious time you could be out in-world having fun. 

at the moment I am on a satellite interne connection... it takes time for me to do anything and to be honest... My inventory has never been an issue as far as being out and about in world. I never have issues, ok well one venue it drains my PC but I am sure that has nothing to do with my end. ; )  Plus, I am very content just being on my sim and making more doodads and various unnamed objects to reside in my inventory and or clutter up the landscaping of my LL investment. ANd it really takes so much time to organize these beasties, I wish LL would come up with a solution that makes it easier. for us hoarder types.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Sort of like some women's purses

giphy.gif

I have a couple of purses like that nicely boxed up in my inventory.

My different alts have different inventories of course but Chin Rey has a little bit more than 32,000 items in hers right now. If I were to unpack all the boxes, it would probably be well over a million. I know there are close to 100,000 textures, between 10,000 and 20,000 of my own builds, Arcadia Asylum's/Aley's complete works, everything from Yadni's Junkyard, enough clothes to last for a hundred lifetimes and that's just the start.

11 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I just checked, 6940 items.

That's absolutely amazing. Library is 3,500 items and each person on your friends list count as one or two item(s) (contact cards, remember).

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

It took me quite a while until i managed to delete all my system layer clothes.
Now im up to getting rid of my standard sized mesh clothes and the maitreya fitmesh items which doesnt fit that well or at all.
Like Tally, i want SL to be different from RL. Clothes have to fit perfectly.

• Like 1

Given that our inventory space is effectively unlimited, and that you can store an effectively unlimited number of items in a single space, I don't think deleting anything is actually necessary - although sorting absolutely is. The main benefit of clearing out trash in real life is so that you can easily manage the good things that you own, else things of value can get drowned by garbage. You can achieve that in SL without deleting a thing; I do so by including an ".Unused" folder in each subfolder, into which I dump everything I am unlikely to use regularly. For example, my "Trousers, Jeans" folder contains around 15 or so pairs that I wear regularly (each in their own folder), and the dumping folder for everything else. The "trash" pairs are there when I need them, and out of my way when I don't.

In terms of how Bakes on Mesh will affect this; the big thing for me is that I trim the contents of each folder. Useless notecards, sizes for bodies that I don't own, textures of the vendor logo (why do people do this?), unpack scripts... and up until a few months ago, system tattoos that came with appliers. I keep the boxes, but I still need to go back and unpack ~95% of my appliers, just in case the creator included layers. Fun.

• Like 3

I have 2 avatars with well in excess of 150k items in inventory each. Kind of glad I never bothered getting rid of all those old system skins and clothes with BOM being released, I have some great stuff. But I also have hair and shoes from 2006......... On occasion I have tried to go through and clean things up, everything is sorted in sub-folders at least.

I have 30k-ish items. I didn’t log in between 2011 and 2018, so I’m sure that’s why it’s so low. 😂

I am not keeping things specifically for BOM, but I do still have most of my system skins. I haven’t tried BoM yet and I have no idea if those skins will work well on my various bento heads, so I do need to experiment.

I seem to be one of the few “old timers” (ha!) who doesn’t wax poetic about flexi things. I trashed all flexi hair and clothing with nary a second thought. 

Keeping things because of BoM? Other than a few tattoos at most, nope. Bakes on Mesh is nothing more than putting system layers on mesh bodies.

Stuff that looks like it was made in 2008 won't be going on me. I tried it when BoM project viewer came out. I do have a few things with sentimental value I might never delete...but when I used them with BoM, I couldn't tell much difference than when I wore them with a system body.

Its a bandaid approach to solving an issue that existed in the early days of mesh only, when everyone was up in arms about not being able to wear their old clothes. We moved on long before the lab did on this one, apparently.

• Like 2

On 9/12/2019 at 4:05 PM, Gabriele Graves said:

I threw away all my system layers, flexi-things, sculpty and prim avatar items a good number of years ago when I moved to mesh completely and realised there was no way I wanted to go back.  I don't regret it even (or is it especially?) in the advent of BoM.  So no, I am obviously not keeping stuff because of BoM.

^ Pretty much this. Threw it all away ages ago and don't care to look back. If I see something I absolutely drastically must without doubt have again I will just repurchase. There are few things in SL that cost me so much RL money (mesh heads or AO's perhaps) that I can't buy again without crippling me financially. If I like a creator's work and too much time has passed to get a re-delivery I'll happily buy again. Supports them. Keeps the virtual economy flowing. Gives me a new updated shiny product. No over-inflated inventory blow-out trying to hoard everything. Win-win. 👍

On 9/7/2019 at 5:12 PM, Vanity Fair said:

So...I'm curious. How big is your SL inventory?

um... NOt sure since much of it is boxed away but I know it's well over 100k by now. Might even be twice that. I don't want to know.

Do you throw out old stuff regularly? Do you just let it accumulate? 

I don't throw out old stuff. Just the stuff that I don't want. Like any fashion I pack it away because you never know when it will come back into style again. Fashions do you know. On a roughly 20 year cycle.

How do you organize it? *Do* you organize it?

I organize by use mostly I suppose. I don't keep things in the Objects or Textures folders because I use those while I am working so I created my own folders for those things, keeping personal separate from business. Things like furnishings and decor are organized according to what room in the house they belong or are most likely be used. Clothing is organize by type, outfits by season. I have a folder named #BUILD that all my building stuff goes in, organized, again, by use.

Nah... I don't really organize it. It just kind of happens in a way that I remember where things should be and that's where I find them more often than not. If all else fails search usually turns up the correct results, so as long as I keep it under 50K "loose" I'm good. By loose I mean things that have been unboxed and has its own folder, like a set.

So, no I'm not keeping things because of BOM but BOM does give me a reason to keep on keeping them.

Edited by Selene Gregoire

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1679 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.