How Many Items Are in Your Inventory? Are You Keeping Stuff Because of Bakes on Mesh?

Vanity Fair

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So...I'm curious. How big is your SL inventory?

Do you throw out old stuff regularly? Do you just let it accumulate? 

How do you organize it? *Do* you organize it?

I'll start. My current inventory size is *cough*239,322*cough* and I once made a very half-hearted attempt to filter the items older than 4,000 days (see picture) and throw out some of my oldest system layer and flexiprim clothing. Then I gave up and just kept everything, forever and ever, Amen. I just tell myself that with Bakes on Mesh, I still might just need something...

*sigh* I think I need to join a 12 Step group... somebody call the people over at TLC, I might just have a new reality TV show idea for them....

How to Sort Your INventory 7 Sept 2019.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I deleted a lot of stuff from 2008-2013 just before the BoM project was announced--including some system/flexi. I had some initial regret when it was announced. If only because a lot of those things were by designers that just don't exist anymore. One or two closed down during that period. I fondly remember an alt/goth clothing store called "WRONG!"--although I think another store goes by that name, now. But I think in the end it was for the best, for a couple of reasons. 

I have my own system, and I won't claim to be perfect, because my "TO SORT" folder is getting pretty full (have things I've bought over the last couple of weeks in there), but I think I'm doing good. It took around 6 months on/off. I'm sure if I had recorded when and for how long, it would add up to a week or two. So lots of subfolders/categories.

I clear out notecards and LMs every so often. 

My next mission. To set up and organise (CTS) Wardrobe so I have a visual catalogue. SL.PNG

Edited by Nastasha Szaberwick
  • Like 1

I actually threw out a lot of my older stuff.. I went through and was deleting directories of things,because I know I'm not going to be wearing any of it anyways..I haven't worn a lot of it for years..

My inventory I have now is like a total different inventory that i had back then..I even at one point made a folder called old inventory and stuffed everything in there to keep it separated from my new one..hehehehe

• Like 1

43,000 and that has a huge number of products and building files like scripts and textures. I delete regularly and only keep things I really love or think will come in handy some day.  Now that I am on my own and not curating LEA6 there are tons of things that I don't need but I am not deleting them for awhile anyway. 

I got rid of all my old alpha layers and texture clothes about five years ago. I ONLY keep the Maitreya version of clothing, not the other brands. 

image.thumb.png.9bff8ec18d37b0deea58f628ef7f0991.png

• Like 4

97,338, but some of that is boxes packed full of stuff. There's no telling how many individual items I actually own. I gave up on boxing it all up a long time ago because without being able to keep it filed in folder, it's pretty much beyond hope.

Anyway, I'm not too interested in BoM, so I can't blame my inventory on that. I just hoarde stuff like a squirrel. 

• Like 4

Current inventory is 117,167. Firestorm shows that as (91,142 / 21,994), which I think means I have 91,142 items scattered throughout 21,994 folders (not gonna catch me having  FLAT inventory issues).

I have my main folders -- clothing, hair, shoes, vehicles, landscaping, furniture/decorations, building stuff, etc..., which are all further broken down into many sub-folders & sub-folders (especially clothing).   I also have a 'To Sort' folder, which actually contains sub-folder to match each of my main inventory folders.  That one is starting to get a bit out of hand because I have been really lazy about sorting lately, barely doing any sorting over the last many months - I really have a self-discipline problem when it comes to inventory sorting.

I do still have a 'Old Clothing' folder that contains some old system & flexi outfits.  I've been working my way through it, keeping BoM in mind, but honestly either the quality of the system clothing item isn't great or the CI of the outfit is huge because of the flexis. So, far, the only thing I have kept are some cute fantasy outfits that are mostly full body tattoos with only a few flexi or mesh attachments.  Also, if I run across an outfit that I had forgotten about that isn't practical to wear anymore, due to the CI, but would make a cute picture, I stuff that into another folder. 

• Like 2

I have around 80,000... 

And I have a "New Stuff" folder... and a "To Sort" folder... and a "Newer Stuff to Sort"... and all the things I've recently bought just scattered throughout because I know if I put them in one of the other folders I'll forget about it. 

Where do we sign up for the 12 step program? I'll need something new to wear...

kitten.gif.f1f3711ea5ad1962c22779da5ab9bf6e.gif

• Like 2

I have around 39k inventory couldn't imagine having another 200k on top. no sooner do i sort through and purge a bunch of stuff does it all come back and then some with the various weekly shopping events and freebies. I've kept all my old system stuff in a dedicated folder initially on the off chance i'd ever want to go back to the system body to wear my favourite clothing layer pieces. But with BoM with coming along i'm pleased i'll be able to utilize my favourite system pieces with out having to ditch my mesh body to do so

• Like 1

I am an avid CTS Wardrobe user. 1692 items in it, all sorted with loads of tags - especially good for shoes.  However, this doesn't mean that my SL inventory is in great shape, around 50,000 items, and that is AFTER the purge which put almost everything into prims (see below), so I have one prim called SAFESTORE that has all the old stuff in it.

570739382_Screenshotfrom2019-09-0818-53-35.thumb.png.0d50cb2d9a45f2274e355b6bbd1bf8e6.png

PRIM store

Only do this with copy items.

1. Rez a prim - drag a lot of stuff you want to keep, but not clutter your Inv, into it.
  2. Give it a good memorable name, nice faces, all that stuff.
  3. Take the prim into inv.
  4. Rez it again and check that everything is in it, and take it back into Inv!  (I was once caught 'cos something didn't move as expected)
  5. Then delete the items you put into the Prim from Inv.
  6. DON'T lose the Prim!  (If it doesn't contain any no-copy items you can make several copies.)

Okay, you can do it with no-copy items if you understand why, but you have to take more care 'cos the Prim Store becomes no-copy too.  Which means you have to trust SL not to lose that one copy....

In the picture you see my Store of Stores, 'cos I do a clean up every year or so.

453198799_Screenshotfrom2019-09-0818-56-42.png.5faf7c4cccca4662946c822c12c525f0.png

Edited by anna2358
typo.
  • Like 4

Every Spring I do a purge.  It's merciless.  I commit to a 50% reduction of stuff.  Somehow each year I keep below 20,000.  And that's without storage prims.

I am an avid shopper, birthday gift accumulator, anniversary gift collector, snapshot taker, full-throttle inventory bloater: and I delete 50% of it every year.  

This routine will continue with or without the advent and success of BOM.

Edited by Clarrellae
  • Like 2

I would feel bad about having 37K +/- in my inventory, but I've been at that level for many years now.  I can't figure out how I am managing to keep that close to equilibrium.  I buy stuff (but not a lot) and I delete stuff (but not a lot), and I don't have a plan for either.  If I did have a plan, it would involve trashing thousands of old system clothes and unidentified objects, but that's simply too much trouble.  To answer the basic question, though, ..... no, I am not saving anything in anticipation of BOM.  I have long since taken any system clothes that I made and still have feelings for and dropped them into Omega appliers.  The rest can sit in the dark corners of my inventory waiting for the rapture, like the 20-year-old clothes that are still at the back of my closet in RL. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The rest can sit in the dark corners of my inventory waiting for the rapture, like the 20-year-old clothes that are still at the back of my closet in RL. 

...thinks you are overly optimistic in your expectations for the rapture.

You and I are still gonna be here, along with all the boring crap the chosen few leave behind.

• Haha 4

8 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

You and I are still gonna be here, along with all the boring crap the chosen few leave behind.

Oh, this is the special Clothing Rapture that used to be ushered in during visits from my sister.  She would donate something stylish that she had lost affection for, with the implication that I should toss something unworthy to make room for it.  We have other things to amuse us these days, but my closet still has hopes.

Edited by Rolig Loon

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, this is the special Clothing Rapture that used to be ushered in during visits from my sister.  She would donate something stylish that she had lost affection for, with the implication that I should toss something unworthy to make room for it.  We have other things to amuse us these days, but my closet still has hopes.

Toss your sister?

Mine's hovering at just over 40k right now, and I'm not too concerned. I did ditch a lot of system layer stuff when I first went mesh about 2 years ago, and now that BOM is coming I'm rather disappointed that I ditched it. I do, however, still have my favourite system skin that I was wearing right before I went mesh, so I am pleased about that.

One day I am gonna box up all the clothing sized for mesh bodies I don't own. But...

17e36c0a30244a99087d86b8e8f129f650611584

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hardly ever throw anything away, the only significant exceptions are when guys send me pictures of their RL private parts, those go directly to the waste basket.

I keep my inventory relatively organized and small by boxing stuff up. It's amazing how much you can fit into a single little prim - they're far bigger on the inside than on the outside.

• Like 4

382K I just deleted a bunch of stuff, I deleted over 100K when I could not log in with bento beta, and if I actually unpacked things it would be much higher. I am starting to see that I have lost a lot of stuff I kept that was system, not because I knew BOM was coming, but just because I wanted to keep things that to me were art into themselves. I am excited about BOM but am sad there are many things that I owned that I will not be able to get because I did not buy from MP I used to shop in stores mostly, and there were no redelivery machines in the olden days, and the creators are mostly long gone.

I do hope that with BOM we will see a return of some of our highly talented texture creators.

I am also looking forward to creating some hybrid looks out of system layers and mesh, I did that with sculpts, and some early on mesh, so that is going to be exciting again.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.