The farthest conversation

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey all. Where is the farthest location that someone in SL has told you they were located in a conversation?

The farthest I've talked to someone was from Italy. I even remarked to him , "Wow, you live far away!" There may have been farther conversations but that's the one I recall. 

26 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I think this would depend on your starting point, and where the farthest possible place is from you. 

I found this handy little tool... http://furthestcity.com/

According to that, the farthest place away from me is Perth, Australia. I talk to someone from there regularly. 🙂

Thank you for the handy tool, Beth. :)  The furthest conversations I've had were all 17,000 km to people in Australia.

Being from New Zealand nearly every person I meet in SL is from another Hemisphere, timezones make them a different day to me, and usually the opposite season too.

I assume everyone I meet is on the other side of the world, because they usually are :) 

• Like 1

Is New Zealand the antipode to the entire rest of the world???

It certainly is to Norway and I do have am SL friend in New Zealand (who hates it when I call him an Aussie ;)) so that's the farthest geographically.

Culturally... well, I have lots of friends in the USA. Americans can be really strange - often strange in a good and interesting way but strange all the same.

Edited by ChinRey

4 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Australia is farthest for me as well, and I have spoken to many SL residents from there.  

Yes this is true for me as well. It is kind of interesting when you ask someone what time it is where they are, and the hour is the same, but the AM or PM is different.

Just now, Talligurl said:

Yes this is true for me as well. It is kind of interesting when you ask someone what time it is where they are, and the hour is the same, but the AM or PM is different.

I like it when you ask, and the answer is that they are a day ahead of you! Greetings, people from the future!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

i have no personal knowledge but I have heard thru the rumor mill that people have logged into SL from Scott Base Antartica

another thing is that the US military have quite a few simulations, incl. SL/Sansar/OpenSim/etc.  I did read once about a US military test development for astronauts, looking at leisure activities while on a long space journey.  That would be cool. Logging in from a space station or from a ship to Mars

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

It certainly feels that way when you live here. But often that's a very good thing.

3 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I like it when you ask, and the answer is that they are a day ahead of you! Greetings, people from the future!

Hello from Friday lunchtime!  There's nothing to worry about so far, your Friday should be fine, we are currently testing it and any issues we find will be reported before you encounter them.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Hey all. Where is the farthest location that someone in SL has told you they were located in a conversation?

The farthest I've talked to someone was from Italy. I even remarked to him , "Wow, you live far away!" There may have been farther conversations but that's the one I recall. 

Whichever one of you is farthest from where I live. 

Over the years I've spoken with people all over the world and some I never knew what country they were in. Of course, distance is relative to which direction you go from where you are. LIke Russia for instance, Go east from where I live and it is the farthest, go west and it is much, much closer. Like next door neighbor close.  :o

board game site I play on however did have an article about someone playing from the international space station which is feasible as board games are not high bandwidth nor latency sensitive. Whether I ever played with him or her no idea as they didnt reveal the site name of the player

Edited by KanryDrago
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Uzbekistan. Seriously.

• Like 1

Well, I once spoke to someone who seemed “metaphorically” like they might be from Another Planet....does that count?

They MUST have been from an alien planet; what they were suggesting was anatomically impossible ........

giphy.gif?cid=8fc3c897e9a774f8ba41726a5f

Edited by AmandaKeen
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, KanryDrago said:

Got australian friends I talk to fairly regularly and being from the uk thats quite far

I consistently LOVE talking to my SL friends from Australia 🙂  I keep hoping that their cultural awesomeness will rub off on me 😉

Edited by AmandaKeen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1716 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.