When is it ok to block people?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Echoing the above and adding in: In the case of a forum block, do not make a public (or even private) post stating - in any manner - that you're blocking whomever it happens to be. In the case of an individual within Second Life itself, do not tell them you're blocking them.

If you need to block/mute ... Just do it and move on.

• Like 5

Agreeing with the sentiment of all the posters above. You don't need a reason. And repeating the advice that if you're going to block someone, do so quietly. Don't broadcast it in local chat, don't do so in group chat, don't do it here on the forums, or in other places like Discord or SL Secrets or Facebook or Twitter or anywhere. Just block them and let that be the end of the matter. And if the problem persists through no encouragement of your own, that's when you AR/report them. But don't engage. Don't stoop to their level. Don't be that person kicking up drama and attention on purpose. 

If you need to, do so. Don't do it to win a war. Do it to end one. It's your SL, after all. *The forums need a peace sign Emoji. Just imagine one here* ✌️

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

Agreeing with the sentiment of all the posters above. You don't need a reason. And repeating the advice that if you're going to block someone, do so quietly. Don't broadcast it in local chat, don't do so in group chat, don't do it here on the forums, or in other places like Discord or SL Secrets or Facebook or Twitter or anywhere. Just block them and let that be the end of the matter. And if the problem persists through no encouragement of your own, that's when you AR/report them. But don't engage. Don't stoop to their level. Don't be that person kicking up drama and attention on purpose. 

If you need to, do so. Don't do it to win a war. Do it to end one. It's your SL, after all. *The forums need a peace sign Emoji. Just imagine one here* ✌️

we have peace kitten)

068b586649b30577d1721f898e685b6c.jpg

• Like 5

I do it when words no longer function for the intended purpose. 

If I disagree with someone, I usually learn something from them, and that is worth my time.  However, there exist a tiny fraction of people who repeatedly and routinely create their own facts, often from their opinions, in the course of discourse, and after that words no longer function for the intended purpose.

There's a wonderful, perhaps apocryphal story that people tell about Daniel Patrick Moynihan, the brilliant, *****ly, and iconoclastic late senator from New York.  Apparently, Monynihan was in a heated argument without one of his colleagues over an issue, and the other senator, sensing he was on the losing side of the argument, blurted out: "Well, you may disagree with me, Pat, but I'm  entitled to my own opinion." To which Moynihan frostily replied, "You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entiled to your own facts."

(c) 2006 by Barack Obama, Audacity of Hope, First Paperback Edition, ISBN 970-0-307-23770-5, page 126.

Edited by Erwin Solo
Grammatical correction
  • Like 1

Just now, Panteleeva said:

we have peace kitten)

Peace kitten works for me! It could be the forums' unofficial mascot! (Sorry squirrel, cat, dog, hamster, llama, moose, beaver, any other animal that's been popping up on the forums lately; I'm looking at you Linden Homes subforum! *lols*) ✌️🐱❤️🌐

• Like 3

I completely agree .. block whomever whenever you like.... but in my years of being a moderator in the Maitreya Lara Friends group we often see someone saying that the redelivery terminal isn't working for them or that they never received an update when updates were being sent out. This happened because the person had either intentionally or unintentionally blocked Onyx. So do keep that in mind if you block a merchant and would like to receive updates or redeliveries.

That said .. block is one of the best tools for keeping your SLife happy, IMO. :) 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I completely agree .. block whomever whenever you like.... but in my years of being a moderator in the Maitreya Lara Friends group we often see someone saying that the redelivery terminal isn't working for them or that they never received an update when updates were being sent out. This happened because the person had either intentionally or unintentionally blocked Onyx. So do keep that in mind if you block a merchant and would like to receive updates or redeliveries.

That said .. block is one of the best tools for keeping your SLife happy, IMO. :) 

Ditto all that. I recently had a similar experience regarding a merchant, when I went into a store for the first time in ages and was trying to pick up some group gifts. Clicking was not doing anything, and I finally realized when I was about to IM the creator to ask for help that I had blocked her years ago for excessive spammy messages. lol  (Unblocking her fixed the issue and I got the gifts, so happy ending till the spam starts up again!)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, RaeLeeH said:

Don't do it to win a war.

Except you are winning the war when you do block someone who has been giving you crap. You win by not having to put up with the bs, they lose because you are no longer a visible target which makes it harder for them to have an effect.

So they talk about you behind your back. Who cares. Those that listen to and believe without getting both sides of the story aren't the kind of people you need or want in your life.

Unless, of course, you are just a glutton for punishment.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

You don't need anyone's approval or permission to block someone; do it as you wish. But I agree with everyone who says that if you're going to do it, just do it and don't make a sodding drama out of it. Blocking is often the sane and sensible thing to do. Announcing it with a flourish and a flounce to try to spark a reaction is just amateur dramatics. It's the difference between no contact and passively aggressively refusing to speak to someone, while making very sure everyone knows it. Though as a wise woman once said, ain't nobody got time for that, so the blocker would be doing the blockee a favour, not that they'd ever realise it. 

Personally I usually prefer to hang around and have a good flame war.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fritigern Gothly said:

When they wear full-bright hair.

Block them for that? That is what de-render is for.

Remember when  you lock someone  you  are  blocking their  communications from reaching you.   Which means  they can  still  see  you, and they  can talk about you  i   local  chat,  but  you can't see what they are saying.  Which is why I do not block nearly as much as I used to.

if you play your dancer when the DJ is playing, you get blocked. if you have a bunch of particles that lag the sim out, you get blocked. If your extra creepy, you get blocked. If you run around trying to be the most outrageous avi in the sim, you get blocked.

Pretty much, if your super annoying.. you get blocked.

9 hours ago, MadameLovelybuns said:

Just wondering

When isn't it?

Its your choice and is dependent on your tolerance for things you don't necessarily care for. I personally don't block for much. But we all have that line that nobody will be allowed to cross. Well, they are allowed to cross it, but once they do they are gone.

I am always telling people who complain to me about the behavior of others in SL: "Block and move on"

• When they are being Rude
  • When they won't take no for an answer
  • when they show their crazy and threaten your life
  • When they can't show a single bit of maturity
  • When they try to gaslight you
  • When they try to Catfish you
  • When they lie to you
  • when they start bashing you for how you look or act
  • When they won't leave you alone despite multiple polite requests
  • When they take things too far
  • When you get uncomfortable

I don't really think theres a WRONG reason to block people, if you feel its necessary then do it

• Like 5

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1769 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.