The Linden Homes Photo Thread

Patch Linden

19 hours ago, eyeye Afterthought said:

Just checked - GONE! and the owner is older than me in world not a noob, but heck it sure makes me feel better when oldbies do noob things too.

If you are referring to the house with what looks like second floor furniture, like in the Winchester house, lodged in the roof of the Adams house...  How was it NOT obvious that it was a house change in progress?

8 minutes ago, Gryphon Ronas said:

If you are referring to the house with what looks like second floor furniture, like in the Winchester house, lodged in the roof of the Adams house...  How was it NOT obvious that it was a house change in progress?

It was NOT obvious to me because I did not even know you could change your style of house on each individual plot until someone else in the thread educated me about this fact, but now I know. 

I think I would remove all my furniture anyways before changing my house to a different style. Meh, whatever.

Edited by eyeye Afterthought
  • Like 2

I finished my front porch addon for my Winchester! I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I wound up doing two versions, one with a fence around the porch and one without. The porch is on marketplace, if anyone else would like one :)

I'm so happy with the dimension this adds to the front of my house! I think another day I may consider making some dormers or something. I just adore a varied roof line!

winchester porch without fence.jpg

winchester porch with fence.png

• Like 18

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

And as I understand it, ugly fences can be removed even if they are inside the border. I doubt LL will go looking for it, unless it is submitted a ticket about it?

Things  that are ok in my opinion is trees where the trunk is in the property, and some of the foliage poking out. Same with flower patches. Unless the area they poke into is thy neighbor, who will not like to have it blocking his hot tub buttons.

Keeping it in theme and don't overdo the things, is the key word.

When I was out and about yesterday, I saw a cute little deck w/ some chairs along a river (do not remember which sim I was in atm) I was going to get a LM for the LM thread and then I realized it was not Mole/Linden built, it was private built. The owner's land was across the sidewalk from the deck. Not sure if they will be able to keep it, but it fit with the theme nicely.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

And as I understand it, ugly fences can be removed even if they are inside the border. I doubt LL will go looking for it, unless it is submitted a ticket about it?

If something isn't in keeping with the theme then anyone can AR the objects and governance will make a determination.

6 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Just a note on my comment about the sign outside the fence  --- 

I was reading Inara's post about touring Bellisseria by plane and she commented on items not inside the parcels -- questioning a bit if they could stay or not. There were some comments on that thought  and I went back and reread the covenant. 

That sign isn't really against the rules, what the covenants says is that your item COULD be returned to you -- not that that it WILL. 

*Objects that extend outside of your parcel can be returned without warning or notice. 

So even if that sign WERE on LL property it most likely wouldn't be returned. 

I do agree that there are some really ugly "fences" here and there that do not appear to be in theme - LOL.  

Thanks for posting this. I think the big issue is if the objects impede right of way (movement). I seriously doubt that the governance team will remove items that are in-theme decorator items that extend just beyond our parcels.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Zoya McDonnagh said:

When I was out and about yesterday, I saw a cute little deck w/ some chairs along a river (do not remember which sim I was in atm) I was going to get a LM for the LM thread and then I realized it was not Mole/Linden built, it was private built. The owner's land was across the sidewalk from the deck. Not sure if they will be able to keep it, but it fit with the theme nicely.

I think I saw it too. I was on my way south in the waterway between houses and land where there will be new houses. I was like hmmm... then I thought live and let live.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I think I saw it too. I was on my way south in the waterway between houses and land where there will be new houses. I was like hmmm... then I thought live and let live.

Same. It fit the theme nicely. If LL does remove it for being outside of the owner's property, then I hope  they put a mole made version there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

I love the curtains in the bedroom photo, and the sofa. Mind telling where they are from? Or do you have a Flickr with credits? I think it's ok to post links, those who want to click on it and see can then do it.

If I'm wrong, some will come and tell, lol. But there is posting of links to credits in Show Your Style - threads, it is no difference posting credits to interiors.

sofa is from the Loft and curtains are from Sayo :)  I don't have any flickr pics with credits, I rarely post my homes/decors there :D 

• Thanks 4

15 hours ago, Teager said:

LL will be putting out a free orb per the security thread. After that goes out, other orbs won't be allowed any more. But right now, I think it's okay as long as it's not too aggressive. I think the gist is to be kind and open to your neighbors

I often read about "free orb for the security thread" but will we receive it in the mailbox? do you know anything about it?

..with joy I see how much enthusiasm and what much sought after taste in decorating your homes, I think the Winchester is the best, the one that lends itself the most. I wonder though with 351 prims available how did you create garage, porch, verandahs, did you buy other prims? with the addition of my car I still have 52 available, and I keep them free because you never know. For the fence objects and the LL walls I preferred to make hedges myself, they cover the perimeter with just one prim.
I already have a house 3 times bigger with my partner but this is a small oasis for me, and fortunately in my neighborhood the neighbors have kept the style of the houses, even in the external decorations, except for a neighbor who added a double helicopter landing pad on the Winchester terrace. But the trees hide the view ... I am turning from time to time to discover the different neighborhoods, I don't know if they will do it but they would like signage and give a name to the streets, as well as when you go from one neighborhood to another , so you know where you are and how to get home with your car. A kiss to everyone327182203_chevycruise_001.png.1ef5bb583f6fcaf2833f81d1c0995f58.png
Adriana from San Jocoso

• Like 10

1 hour ago, deplove said:

..with joy I see how much enthusiasm and what much sought after taste in decorating your homes, I think the Winchester is the best, the one that lends itself the most. I wonder though with 351 prims available how did you create garage, porch, verandahs, did you buy other prims? with the addition of my car I still have 52 available, and I keep them free because you never know. For the fence objects and the LL walls I preferred to make hedges myself, they cover the perimeter with just one prim.
I already have a house 3 times bigger with my partner but this is a small oasis for me, and fortunately in my neighborhood the neighbors have kept the style of the houses, even in the external decorations, except for a neighbor who added a double helicopter landing pad on the Winchester terrace. But the trees hide the view ... I am turning from time to time to discover the different neighborhoods, I don't know if they will do it but they would like signage and give a name to the streets, as well as when you go from one neighborhood to another , so you know where you are and how to get home with your car. A kiss to everyone.

For me, I use the lowest LI furniture available. I also unlink and delete shadows from tables and chairs, if possible. My porch flowers have higher LI together than the porch itself. That is because I totally love the hanging ones and the windowboxes.

If small things come in here, they must have a reason to be more than 1 LI. I have one 2 LI lamp and the rest is 1 LI. My 4 spotlights in a row is 0.5 LI each and linked they are 2 LI.

I like carpets and rugs. No one are more than 1 LI. I think I have 12-13 carpets inside and on various porches. If they were 2 LI each, I used at least 12 LI more, only on rugs.

My 2 streetlamps is 1 LI each. If I used 2 street lamps that look almost the same, but is 3 LI each, I would have used 4 LI more. My rebuilt carport is 4 LI including downlights, but a 2 LI driveway makes it 6 LI. One of the walls in the carport doubles as privacy wall against the terrace, so I saved one LI... and so on.

That means I have to leave some lovely things in my inventory. But I make it almost a sport, how much can I get for 351 LI?

Edit: I am willing to buy lower LI things too. I "had" to buy a 1 LI hot tub from PrimPossible and replace the one that was 7 + 7 LI for tub and frame/fundament.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 10

27 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

For me, I use the lowest LI furniture available. I also unlink and delete shadows from tables and chairs, if possible.

If small things come in here, they must have a reason to be more than 1 LI. 

That means I have to leave some lovely things in my inventory. But I make it almost a sport, how much can I get for 351 LI?

Edit: I am willing to buy lower LI things too.

THIS, THIS, AND THIS! ^

If there's one piece of advice I could give anyone it's learn to LINK all non-animated mesh and prim décor items where possible. But if I remember correctly; DO NOT link sculpts!

So rather than have a half dozen paintings on the wall, a coffee table, a few magazine piles, a vase of flowers all sitting alone, I link them all together. This generally (but not always) lowers my land impact, sometimes pretty significantly. I also remove all shadow prims where possible. I link all Gacha together. I link all mesh/prim rugs together (along with anything else phantom). So I usually end up with at least 3 link sets (Gacha, rugs/phantom, main décor), with animated furnishings like beds and sofas etc left unlinked. 

I'll also go one step further and modify objects by removing unnecessary parts, for example; take magnets off a fridge (unless they have baked textures), take decorative ends off curtain rods, take buttons off a non-animated phone, basically declutter so I have prims available to clutter things as I want them. I aim ideally to get the LI down as far as I can without ruining an object beyond recognition. I have lights in most rooms but I take the scripts out so that I can link the unscripted lamps to the rest of the link set; how often do we have Windlight on Midnight anyway? And as Marianne says, I'll also hunt around for similar items with less LI. Basically, I strip things down or replace them entirely, then when I'm happy I link them together to lower the LI even further.

On top of that, if possible, I'll make the object myself. I can't work Blender (I just don't have the patience for it), but I use other meshing programs that I've purchased through Marketplace. And if even that is beyond my capabilities I ask a few friends who also build. Or see if they have Full Perm items I could purchase. Or ask for places they might know of to find things. Today, I offered my neighbour a pergola I had built to replace the prim version she had built the day before, just as a gesture of good will. Counting all the parts, I think there were around 14 prims she hadn't linked together. She swapped them out for the mesh copy and saved 12 prims. Little things like that all adds up!

linkset.thumb.png.3106e1b1e48c8719b0159a2183d4d632.png

In my example, the main link set contains 157 objects, but linked together they only take up 79 LI. That's almost literally half than what the LI if I left them unlinked. As you can also see, not everything is linked; the vanity stool contains animations so I left it alone. The rugs are their own link set. The interior walls shell another link set again. It sounds like a lot of work, but when you get the hang of it you really can push decorating to a whole new level of detail.

Linking is a trick I've taught my friends, and it's why I've never needed additional prims in rentals anymore. Anyone can do this, it just takes practice learning what to link, and what not to. And of course remembering to edit properly. It's all too easy to accidentally shift one object over and suddenly everything else in your house has disappeared through walls. Practice by linking a few objects together; paintings are a good place to start. Then experiment. My advice would be to go to a sandbox and rez objects from your inventory to link together and practice. That way if you do make a mistake (and you will until you get the hang of it), you won't ruin anything!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, RaeLeeH said:

If there's one piece of advice I could give anyone it's learn to LINK all non-animated mesh and prim décor items where possible. But if I remember correctly; DO NOT link sculpts!

I didn't read your whole post but wanted to note that SOMETIMES LINKING WILL INCREASE THE LAND IMPACT.

The LI of any object (or any linked objects is based on three upload costs) If an object weighs in at 1.5 (you can see this under MORE INFO) then it will be one.  Linking low impact objects (0.6 li for example) will indeed cut land impact costs. You DO need to play attention to what you are doing though.

Sculpts are very tricky and certainly should be tested. Most often they are best left unlinked. 

ALSO if you link furniture with sits OR items that are already several pieces (a linkset) you can also have some disasters.

So while linking objects is often handy for decreasing land impact  --- it is FAR from foolproof.  

Just wanted folks to know that.   

Have fun! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I didn't read your whole post but wanted to note that SOMETIMES LINKING WILL INCREASE THE LAND IMPACT.

The LI of any object (or any linked objects is based on three upload costs) If an object weighs in at 1.5 (you can see this under MORE INFO) then it will be one.  Linking low impact objects (0.6 li for example) will indeed cut land impact costs. You DO need to play attention to what you are doing though.

Sculpts are very tricky and certainly should be tested. Most often they are best left unlinked. 

ALSO if you link furniture with sits OR items that are already several pieces (a linkset) you can also have some disasters.

So while linking objects is often handy for decreasing land impact  --- it is FAR from foolproof.  

Just wanted folks to know that.   

Have fun! 

Good point. That's why I said practice first. But yeah, sometimes the LI goes through the roof. Sometimes it works as per example. It's all trial and error. The animated furnishings thing was addressed and the sculpts thing too. But yeah, different strokes for different folks. I just know it's a system that works for me at least. Maybe might help someone get more prims to play :)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Daniel Voyager said:

A visit to the lighthouse in the Calm Waves region

Fourze_007.jpg

Is that fixed? When I did visit the lighthouse, the entrace was blocked, wasn't possile to walk in and to use the stairs.

Or did you use some trick to go in?

56 minutes ago, loverdag said:

Is that fixed? When I did visit the lighthouse, the entrace was blocked, wasn't possile to walk in and to use the stairs.

Or did you use some trick to go in?

I used bunny control 😂😂😂

The lighthouse on the larger isle let me in 

Edited by Daniel Voyager
  • Like 1