The Linden Homes Photo Thread

Patch Linden

6 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I got very ambitious and traveled by bike from my home on the north coast to the bottom of the existing continent all the way down in the south. Then another day I traveled by foot, jogging, from my home in the north along the roads as far west as I could go. So I've really seen a lot of regions. I'm blown away by how different they all look. There is absolutely no copy/paste going on in this project. It's phenomenal!

I've had all those fence and wall pieces since the first day. If I were you I'd go to the mailbox and get another box delivered. If you still don't have all the pieces I"d put in a ticket or open up live chat to find out why. If you don't have it others might not as well and that's something LL would want to know about.

I had just an hour explore time yesterday. Everywhere has a different feel about it, and I like all the little places where people can meet up - picnic on beach and such. And I know I am noob but I did like the rezzer of the coloured floating rings and looking at the land and houses from the sea. 

LH 2.jpg

LH 4.jpg

LH 3.jpg

LH 5.jpg

LH 1.jpg

• Like 12

2 minutes ago, eyeye Afterthought said:

I had just an hour explore time yesterday. Everywhere has a different feel about it, and I like all the little places where people can meet up - picnic on beach and such. And I know I am noob but I did like the rezzer of the coloured floating rings and looking at the land and houses from the sea. 

Really nice pool and (see previous conversation on fencing) a whole are with NO FENCES LOL.  Sure there are tons of little places to find.  

• Like 1

You all have such beautiful houses! I still have lots of looking around to do, but may have spotted 1 or 2 on my journey.

I did also unfortunately spot a house with a default wooden prim wall around it.

Edit: The wall now has a bamboo texture, but still equally as ugly. =(

Perhaps i'll get Premium a bit later after they fix all the connection issues, as i'd love to have a second place to go to for when my main house's sim is down, or just a place for the "community" feel.

Edited by s2Pandora
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, s2Pandora said:

You all have such beautiful houses! I still have lots of looking around to do, but may have spotted 1 or 2 on my journey.

I did also unfortunately spot a house with a default wooden prim wall around it.

Edit: The wall now has a bamboo texture, but still equally as ugly. =(

A lot of people (including myself) are still learning. And they might LIKE the bamboo texture. 

While I was out on my explorings yesterday, I came across this house with an unusual furniture arrangement. If alls sticking out in a coupla days I might see if owner needs some help. 

LH 1.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, eyeye Afterthought said:

A lot of people (including myself) are still learning. And they might LIKE the bamboo texture. 

While I was out on my explorings yesterday, I came across this house with an unusual furniture arrangement. If alls sticking out in a coupla days I might see if owner needs some help. 

LH 1.jpg

It's not the bamboo texture that's ugly. The texture actually isn't that bad, it's just the wall.. it's kind of an eyesore. They perhaps don't know that you can set it so people off parcel can't see you(unless you can't there, which would kind of be a deal breaker for me). Maybe one of their neighbors will spot them and let them in on how to set it.

I actually have seen that, too. I always figured it was a house change(can the houses be changed, or just the colors?).. That is pretty baffling, but they may also just not of moved everything in to place yet.

Edited by s2Pandora
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, eyeye Afterthought said:

LH 1.jpg

I might have an idea how that happened! Yesterday as I was redecorating, sometimes when I would have my camera focused close to the floor where I wanted to put something, I would drag the item out of inventory and.... nothing happened. Thinking it was lag, I'd try again. Eventually, When I adjusted my camera, I saw items floating in other rooms or through the ceiling LMAO

Now I am going to check the "attic" space carefully to see if anything hiding in the roof.

Edited by Zoya McDonnagh
Now curious if my attic is hiding anything
  • Haha 3

I had some rezzing issues while placing furniture also --- same items appearing where they were NOT meant. And I am REALLY old with LOTS of practice so likely there is a bit of faulty physics going on.   

So if you are new, don't worry about it.   

TIP: if you lose something and you think it is really there (hidden inside the attic maybe or somewhere else odd, you can use AREA SEARCH to see where it might be and then EDIT to see the gizmo handles -- or just delete it if it is a copy item. 

You can also rez a prim on the floor and drop items onto that and then delete the prim. 

• Like 2

@Blush Bravin

I bet I know why I don't have the brick walls.   I figured out a couple of days ago that I have "missing inventory" which in some cases is actually there, I just can't see it in Firestorm.  So there is a possibility that I "have" the walls if I were to use the Linden viewer.  Best plausible explanation without testing :D

Edited by Chic Aeon
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, eyeye Afterthought said:

Just checked - GONE! and the owner is older than me in world not a noob, but heck it sure makes me feel better when oldbies do noob things too.

I'm older than you and I have pulled some pretty newbie moves LOL  I was gone for quite a few years some time back and when I returned I was frozen still because I forgot how to move!

Yet when I tried to build something in a sandbox (was showing my husband how I could build a RL design we made in SL) without even thinking I was able to pull out a prim, copy it, sit on the copy so that I didn't move around and proceed to build said item in about 15 minutes. Good ol muscle memory there, I guess.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, WillowTenage said:

Thank you, I just used regular prims for them as well and painted them white, the texture isn't quite right, but it is hard to tell from a distance. 

I'm pretty sure the latest texture pack gave us the molding texture.  I think so anyway. You might want to check it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, s2Pandora said:

It's not the bamboo texture that's ugly. The texture actually isn't that bad, it's just the wall.. it's kind of an eyesore. They perhaps don't know that you can set it so people off parcel can't see you(unless you can't there, which would kind of be a deal breaker for me). Maybe one of their neighbors will spot them and let them in on how to set it.

Are you thinking that the setting so that outside people can't see you is going to somehow impact you seeing the fence?  It won't.  That setting only controls people outside the parcel seeing "people" inside the parcel and hearing them.  

What might be an eyesore to one likely looks great to others.  We all have varying opinions of what is aesthetically pleasing.  Personally, there is quite a bit of what I've seen in the houseboat area, and a bit in the traditional housing area, that is not too pleasing to my eye.

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Are you thinking that the setting so that outside people can't see you is going to somehow impact you seeing the fence?  It won't.  That setting only controls people outside the parcel seeing "people" inside the parcel and hearing them.  

What might be an eyesore to one likely looks great to others.  We all have varying opinions of what is aesthetically pleasing.  Personally, there is quite a bit of what I've seen in the houseboat area, and a bit in the traditional housing area, that is not too pleasing to my eye.

Bins is what don't please my eye. Maybe LL should think about having a separate trailer park for that kinda thing 😜 

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, that setting.

I'm sorry if i've offended anybody. I've just become a little overjudgy as irl I don't live in the nicest looking area(it's old and they don't take care of it), so i'm constantly revering the crap out of nice places on here. It's not right, and you are right, what's not nice to me may be nice to somebody else.. I just personally wouldn't want to live anywhere near certain things. Reminds me too much of why I never went for mainland.

2 minutes ago, s2Pandora said:

Yeah, that setting.

I'm sorry if i've offended anybody. I've just become a little overjudgy as irl I don't live in the nicest looking area(it's old and they don't take care of it), so i'm constantly revering the crap out of nice places on here. It's not right, and you are right, what's not nice to me may be nice to somebody else.. I just personally wouldn't want to live anywhere near certain things. Reminds me too much of why I never went for mainland.

I was thinking it could be an old type privacy wall. Like we see on mainland, flat walls with a texture. There are extended rules for the Traditional homes. Stay in theme and not over 4 m height for privacy walls? I have read so many threads, I start to mix up things.

It would be up to the neighbors, if they will report it.

1 hour ago, AbbyFraser said:

This is behind our Linden Home, somewhere on the East coast. I wish those beaches had different names than "Protected Land" so they would be easier to recognize by landmark... But it's beautiful there. :)

East coast small.png

Ohhh I see my boathouse. You are right near me. Thought your name looked familiar from my radar 😉

• Like 4

Four meters turned out to be higher than I thought when I actually got out a prim and made it that size to see. I was walking in my neighborhood yesterday and someone has built what seemed to me to be a fortress wall (plywood texture, alas) around their parcel. It looked way too tall and honestly pretty unsightly, so I thought surely it was over the 4 meter limit. It was not! 

I peeked over the wall and dunno what they are trying to hide in there. It wasn't that special. lol

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, s2Pandora said:

We are all judgy in our way.  Lots of people hate mainland simply because you never know what may pop up next to you.  In some ways, the same may apply to the Linden Homes area since most people likely have their own idea of what is "in theme".  There will likely be all sorts of things that various folks don't like.  If anyone hates anything around them, it will probably come down to what LL thinks about it fitting in.  Once the continent is mostly or fully flushed out and hits the point where there actually is a bit of home surplus, people may abandon and get new places simply due to neighbors.

It is going to be interesting watching how all of these areas develop as people continue with their customizing.

• Like 4

I have seen some of these tall walls of prims, it does not look pretty in my opinion and I do not understand the reason for them. One of the reasons to live in the Linden Home neighborhoods I thought, is to interact and meet other people. So why would you block them out? and one of the walls I saw did not even have a gate where the mailbox where, it was just a wall.. not exaxtly in theme either I think. Anyways just my thoughts about the prims walls

Edited by Quiet Mirabella
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Quiet Mirabella said:

I have seen some of these tall walls of prims, it does not look pretty in my opinion and I do not understand the reason for them. One of the reasons to live in the Linden Home neighborhoods I thought, is to interact and meet other people. So why would you block them out? and one of the walls I saw did not even have a gate where the mailbox where, it was just a wall.. not exaxtly in theme either I think. Anyways just my thoughts about the prims walls

It will be interesting to see what is "in theme" and what is not to TPTB when they take their tour.  On my first cross country (taking my scooter and going South later today) I saw a few things that broke the rules. The worst for me were the fantasy trees which REALLY broke the immersion of my ride (immersion is an often used term in Sansar and it IS something to be thought about on the new continent).  There were a fair amount of people going over their lot lines to make driveways which I don't think is a bad thing IF they use a reasonable texture.  I do know that SOME very obviously illegal structures were removed -- maybe by Lindens and maybe because neighbors wrote and complained to the owners. 

I live on a one block street in a tiny town where it could be 1950 or today (all older houses). There are no sidewalks and I have great neighbors.  So I am spoiled these days.  I have also lived in the middle of 20 acres of forest and meadow -- so spoiled there too.  

The only way you have REAL privacy is to own your own sim and only let those you want enter. Beyond that ....

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Quiet Mirabella said:

Yeah, the wall I was referring to had a wall on 3 sides of the house(no gate in front, just prim wall), with the back(facing a beach) open. I personally don't understand why people do this, either. It's not like the houses around it were a mess or anything. As somebody said though, it's possible the person doesn't know of the setting so people can't see them otherwise.

46 minutes ago, Quiet Mirabella said:

While many do seem to be embracing the community neighborhood aspect of the new homes, that is not the only reason that someone might choose to have a Linden home.  It's a benefit that comes with premium membership, and is not limited to just those who want to be social and interact with others.  

While I could see some benefit to a low prim wall, nicely textured and with an appropriate width for a wall - mainly the ability to save prims - I can also understand how a tall, very thin wall could be off-putting to neighbors. It will be interesting to see how the staying in theme part of the covenant is interpreted, as well as how the community spirit ends up over time.   

• Like 4