What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lucky letters thing. Somewgere in 2018 i  was broken by another break-up and depressed. Once i saw notice in freebie group about makeup store,which have lucky letters and regular gifts every week. I  rezzed there and saw 3 chaIRS with 3 mins , at start i just wanted to force my own letter to get something.

It looked from me like :

A,G,F,

A,G,H

B,B,G

F,U,H, and MUCH MORE lines like that,it started ok and people even was ok with that,asked for tp. Also i had very nice supportive chat there. Once when i was offline, happend little drama about "don t spam, stop post letters". Because other people started to do that. But owner said that letters are ok,because store don t seem empty anymore. So i kept post letters every duckin day,after 4 months i became official mod there and in summer 2018 i felt like i created a monster,lol. As one girl said ,at the store was a lot of people and they all post same letters(7-8 girls).Also in summer 2018 post letters was my work and while i was doing that, some people still  tried to post them with me, and they don t gave a duck that its my work,.And whole summer was dramas,scandals, bans from group.etc. So finally  i became very tired of all that and i stopped, because i better save my and others nerves.  In 2019 letters are only annoys people, no friendly talks anymore, no warm kind atmosphere(. So i think when i started,lucky letters was a nice thing.And now it s my BIG NO.sorry if i annoyed you by this post.

1822315.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wesleytron said:

People whose only contribution to local chat is to comment on how nobody is talking in local chat.

Or those who have to (rather too energetically) offer coffee in group chat... as though it's an actual commodity we can download and imbibe. I really, really want to slap those people with a war cry, something along the lines of "HOW ABOUT A NICE BIG CUP OF... (see image)"

41y08igRpgL._QL70_.jpg.4942f97a2c16ead4576c4305e3de460c.jpg

But then I'm too polite. (I also need this cup in my real life).

(And if this image offends I'll remove it. Censoring humour doesn't come naturally).

• Like 2

Locations that attempt to send me a landmark as soon as I arrive. I TPed here so I obviously know where it is and SL viewers have a "landmark this place" option, so if I WANT a landmark I can easily generate one. Store and club owners: please, for the love of all that's holy, knock off the automated landmark madness!

• Like 8

Has anyone mentioned notifications where a simple group chat text would be better?  Ever have your IM's capped because you got a notice that:

• the party is starting in 10 minutes
  • the party is starting now
  • the party just started
  • the party is a quarter of the way through
  • the party is going strong so TP in your friends
  • coming up on half time
  • .... and on and on. 

None of that belongs in notifications.  It is only temporary and anyone offline doesn't need to know about every single step when they log back in.  I know notifications go through even if group chat has been shut down but come on.  One notification at the start is plenty.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Has anyone mentioned notifications where a simple group chat text would be better?  Ever have your IM's capped because you got a notice that:

• the party just started
  • coming up on half time
  • .... and on and on. 

None of that belongs in notifications.  It is only temporary and anyone offline doesn't need to know about every single step when they log back in.  I know notifications go through even if group chat has been shut down but come on.  One notification at the start is plenty.

Oh yes. A particular live music venue I was a member of is a big offender. Multiple music acts a day with notices an hour before, right before, at the halfway point, at the end... I should not login after being gone a few hours and have ten notifications from the same place. It’s too much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

• the party just started
  • coming up on half time
  • .... and on and on. 

Bonus points if multiple groups for multiple distinct sims are owned by the same people, so crossping each and every one of those spampings to both groups

2 hours ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

• the party just started
  • coming up on half time
  • .... and on and on. 

The funny thing is, I am imagining every cooking show I watched. Where you got step by step instructions of what's happening. We ain't cooking a DJ here, we are just promoting a club. So yes, please use chat. I don't need my notices flooded with 100s of notifications on what's going on at the club. I don't need a play by play. If I wanted a play by play, I would have watched the NFL, and hope to hell that John Madden is commentating. Lol

9 hours ago, RaeLeeH said:

Or those who have to (rather too energetically) offer coffee in group chat... as though it's an actual commodity we can download and imbibe. I really, really want to slap those people with a war cry, something along the lines of "HOW ABOUT A NICE BIG CUP OF... (see image)"

41y08igRpgL._QL70_.jpg.4942f97a2c16ead4576c4305e3de460c.jpg

But then I'm too polite. (I also need this cup in my real life).

(And if this image offends I'll remove it. Censoring humour doesn't come naturally).

It's the same as any gift given. It's the thought behind the gift that counts, not the gift itself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It's the same as any gift given. It's the thought behind the gift that counts, not the gift itself.

Ditto, why the phrase "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" is a phrase to indicate "ungrateful selfishness."

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Ditto, why the phrase "don't look a gift horse in the mouth" is a phrase to indicate "ungrateful selfishness."

My Dad always said, "Don't kick a gift horse in the teeth."  I thought that was the real saying until I was in my teens.  It made more sense.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

My Dad always said, "Don't kick a gift horse in the teeth."  I thought that was the real saying until I was in my teens.  It made more sense.

Yes, the basic history of the phrase is: don't scrutinize the gift, don't inspect it or judge it, take it for what it is: a gift, which comes from the heart of the giver (theoretically, at least). :) 

For those who don't understand the meaning of the phrase, looking a horse in the mouth is to judge its worth by the health of the teeth.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

^^ LOL.

Or, when a gift is real cr*ppy, you could do what I learned on Seinfeld: regift😁

11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There’s a company in Corsicana, Texas that makes GOOD fruitcakes! My mom used to send me one yearly.

And my aunt sent us her "Dutch Cake," which was a delicious fruit cake, each year until she died in the early 2000's.  The Dutch Cake was a recipe from her own mother, who had grown up in Pennsylvania's Dutch country in the late 1800's.  It was full of lovely dried fruit and seeds.  We used to slice it thin and butter it as a special treat when I was young.  I have tried many times to make it myself, but without much luck.  I suspect that my aunt used her own blend of wheat flour and bread flour, a secret that she did not include in the recipe I have today.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There’s a company in Corsicana, Texas that makes GOOD fruitcakes! My mom used to send me one yearly.

There is no such thing as a good fruitcake. Unless it was one made by my great-grandmother. Her secret died with her. :(

Edited by Selene Gregoire

6 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

There is no such thing as a good fruitcake. Unless it was one made by my great-grandmother. Her secret died with her. :(

Lol. Anyway..I just read that a movie is being made about this fruitcake company because an employee stole 17 million dollars. A comedy, I guess (Will Farrell and Laura Dern).

1 hour ago, Selene Gregoire said:

One of the problems is that recipes created in the generation of our great-grandmothers and then inherited by my grandmother and aunt and your mother were written in very relaxed, even cryptic, terms.  The recipe here simply says "sift flour with baking powder and add a piece of butter the size of a walnut."  O... K .... so, how much baking powder, and how much flour?  What kind?  How big is a walnut?  The dried fruit was, of course, originally supposed to be fruit that they had picked the previous summer and dried themselves, not commercial stuff in a plastic bag from the grocery, so it had no preservatives or added sugars.  The only baking directions, too,  say only, "bake in the round pan in a hot oven until it's done." Setting aside the fact that my great-grandmother's oven was in a wood stove, there's still the question of how hot a "hot oven" is, and which one of her pans was THE round one.  My aunt made some shrewd guesses but then passed me only the original recipe, without her guesses.  Sadly, this is the fate of Great Fruitcakes of the Past.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

One of the problems is that recipes created in the generation of our great-grandmothers and then inherited by my grandmother and aunt and your mother were written in very relaxed, even cryptic, terms.  The recipe here simply says "sift flour with baking powder and add a piece of butter the size of a walnut."  O... K .... so, how much baking powder, and how much flour?  What kind?  How big is a walnut?  The dried fruit was, of course, originally supposed to be fruit that they had picked the previous summer and dried themselves, not commercial stuff in a plastic bag from the grocery, so it had no preservatives or added sugars.  The only baking directions, too,  say only, "bake in the round pan in a hot oven until it's done." Setting aside the fact that my great-grandmother's oven was in a wood stove, there's still the question of how hot a "hot oven" is, and which one of her pans was THE round one.  My aunt made some shrewd guesses but then passed me only the original recipe, without her guesses.  Sadly, this is the fate of Great Fruitcakes of the Past.

All the measurements and ingredients and step by step instructions (that was just how the cooks in the family were, the ones that came after me... not so much) were there. It was just something she did different that she never wrote down. It could have been something as simple as a particular brand of rum or whether it was light or dark. Or even the flour could have been non-bleached rather than white or light brown sugar instead of dark. 

It was those kinds of "secrets" that have been lost. It makes me sad.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

It was those kinds of "secrets" that have been lost. It makes me sad.

I don't measure when I cook, so I have no recipes and never make the same thing twice. There are times that makes me sad because I'll make something truly delicious and I don't know how I did it. For the most part it's worth that to avoid making the same thing twice.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I don't measure when I cook, so I have no recipes and never make the same thing twice. There are times that makes me sad because I'll make something truly delicious and I don't know how I did it. For the most part it's worth that to avoid making the same thing twice.

You and the Swedish Chef.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.