What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This is back to the Gacha topic, my biggest thing is. I get that the market is huge for people gambling and chipping away at their money. But what irritates me, is that why do we who don't like Gachas. Not have a choice to either pull or play. I know a few stores and events  do it, but I would like to see a lot more stores and events do it.

I get really tired of people complaining about gachas.  I personally hate them but they don't bother me because I stay away from them. If you don't like them, ignore them. Forget they exist.  Don't look at them.  You know if you go anywhere near them they will suck you in, that is how they are designed. So don't play.  Don't engage.  I think every possible peeve about gachas has already been expressed multiple times in this thread. Let it go!

• Like 4

Off the topic of Gachas. When skin creators airbrush the crap out of their ad photos, so the skin looks nothing like what it does in the ad. Thank god they allow for demoing, but still. There is no need to airbrush in things, that weren't initially on the actual skin. Talk about false advertising.

• Like 3

Final one for the day, when Creators use 3rd Party Software like Daz 3D to create ad photos. Look I would like to see this item in world, not using a 3rd party app to create the ad. You don't see actual fashion magazines, or catalogues using programs like that. Especially when it comes to showing off clothes, it's fine they use PS. But it's usually used to add lighting, get rid of glares and artifacts. You literally see the clothes in the real world, in a premade scene.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, halebore Aeon said:

Final one for the day, when Creators use 3rd Party Software like Daz 3D to create ad photos. Look I would like to see this item in world, not using a 3rd party app to create the ad. You don't see actual fashion magazines, or catalogues using programs like that. Especially when it comes to showing off clothes, it's fine they use PS. But it's usually used to add lighting, get rid of glares and artifacts. You literally see the clothes in the real world, in a premade scene.

There's no win-win about it in the virtual worlds (games suffer from this too). Different hardware, software and settings. I saw quite a few of 1/5 star reviews on MP where people said "it's nothing like on the picture!", while ad pictures were from SL for sure, but they were taken on high-ultra settings with shadows and ALM on. Turns out if you run SL on a toaster in 800x600 window without ALM you won't see anything close to it. Who knew? Windlight and local lights also make drastic difference.

And you still better check the demo to see how well it's rigged, textures/colors and other possible options (if it's wearable) or go to in-world store and see it in person (in case of rezzable things), to check textures, LODs, animations in furniture etc.

----

I personally can't stand the "demo in world" type of demos (for wearables, obviously). Like... why? Do they really need that 1 point in traffic that they will get if someone teleports there, grabs a demo and teleports out? In 99.9% of cases I won't even bother, unless item is truly something unique.

Oooh-kaeeee

Yeah, land owners can do what they like.....I know that.

But......I discovered a wilderness/beach sim a while ago. Perfect for superhero photo shoots. Second time I went, a new rule.... if no payment details on file you can't explore. I had my alt with me, who doesn't have pdof, so I waited for her to be booted. It didn't happen. Fine so far.

Ellie went back yesterday as Lara Croft, and landed in a containment cell........a rectangle of yellow ban lines. 

Oh but wait.....you can join the group for L$400.

I know it costs lots of real money to build a sim. That one is deserted, even though its beautiful. I won't be going back.

Edited by BelindaN
  • Like 5

On 7/20/2019 at 10:18 PM, steeljane42 said:

I personally can't stand the "demo in world" type of demos (for wearables, obviously). Like... why? Do they really need that 1 point in traffic that they will get if someone teleports there, grabs a demo and teleports out? In 99.9% of cases I won't even bother, unless item is truly something unique.

I would like to suggest that it has little to do with traffic (in some cases, anyway) and more to do with people leaving devastatingly cruel reviews on free or 1L demos on the marketplace for amusement or for reasons of competition.  So to avoid the trolling reviews on demo items, the demos go in-world, while the goods remain on the marketplace and subject to (hopefully more honest?) reviews from paying customers.  It's not a perfect system, by a long shot, but it does help a little.   I find it annoying too but sometimes it's just the way it is and I'll make the trip if the ad is tantalizing enough.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

I would like to suggest that it has little to do with traffic (in some cases, anyway) and more to do with people leaving devastatingly cruel reviews on free or 1L demos on the marketplace for amusement or for reasons of competition.  So to avoid the trolling reviews on demo items, the demos go in-world, while the goods remain on the marketplace and subject to (hopefully more honest?) reviews from paying customers.  It's not a perfect system, by a long shot, but it does help a little.   I find it annoying too but sometimes it's just the way it is and I'll make the trip if the ad is tantalizing enough.

If creators can't handle criticism of there products then they shouldn't sell them to begin with

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

Because most people would like to try before they buy. Especially since some creator use DAZ3D and we don't know how it looks or it is rigged in SL. I am sorry, I am not paying 250L, for a poorly rigged and poorly textured item. Not taking that gamble. For me it has nothing to do with reviews, it has everything to do with will it look good on me, was it rigged well, and did they do a great job on texturing. I like demos actually, I will never buy an item if they don't have a demo.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IvyLarae said:

If creators can't handle criticism of there products then they shouldn't sell them to begin with

That would depend on whether or not it was constructive. Most people don't know how to critique without being offensive in some way. It's not something easily done. Truth is, there really is no such thing as an unbiased critic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That would depend on whether or not it was constructive. Most people don't know how to critique without being offensive in some way. It's not something easily done. Truth is, there really is no such thing as an unbiased critic.

Ooooo Selene!

I spy a new avi pic!!!!! 9_9

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

That would depend on whether or not it was constructive. 

Yer not wrong, truly.

Anyway phoney critiques from competitors, or the bored who simply enjoy spreading slime on free demos......No content creator is obligated to entertain trolls.  Demos offered in-world is just one way to avoid spurious comments; it's a flawed system but oh well. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clarrellae said:

I concur. But also - quality customers also know to disregard most reviews of demo items since they can grab the demo to learn for themselves. Therefore, the way I see it, this is a really poor excuse for not making a demo available at Market Place. Traffic is a moot issue with retail; it just doesn't matter.

I will almost never visit an in-world shop to get a demo of something I am looking at on Market Place because it is a major hassle: TP to store, wait for the entire, poorly-optimized oversized vendor textures to Rez, then hunt and hunt and hunt for that specific item I want the demo for. Ummm, no thank you - close the MP tab, look at competing item from another creator. OH, THEY have a demo link? Sold. First creator's loss; no skin off my nose.

I know I don't speak for everyone, but I also know I speak for a lot of others.

1 hour ago, IvyLarae said:

Ditto this. If I leave a fair, accurate review and if the creator unlists then relists, I will flag it. Every time it is relisted, for at least a few weeks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

Yer not wrong, truly.

Anyway phoney critiques from competitors, or the bored who simply enjoy spreading slime on free demos......No content creator is obligated to entertain trolls.  Demos offered in-world is just one way to avoid spurious comments; it's a flawed system but oh well. 

It's also not hard to flag a review and have it removed.

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Ditto this. If I leave a fair, accurate review and if the creator unlists then relists, I will flag it. Every time it is relisted, for at least a few weeks.

I think it is dishonourable to disregard fair and accurate reviews; that's terrible customer service.  Content creators who listen to fair and accurate reviews and change what's wrong with something do their customers a great service and make sure they get what they paid for.  It's good business sense.  I'd flag it too if I saw that in action, for sure.

9 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

Demos offered in-world is just one way to avoid spurious comments; it's a flawed system but oh well. 

Or potential customers.

Especially if your SLurl in the listing is out of date. Or if you go to the in-world store and find that nope, there's no demo there either.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Or potential customers.

Especially if your SLurl in the listing is out of date. Or if you go to the in-world store and find that nope, there's no demo there either.

I absolutely refuse to buy an item if they have no demo. I am not taking a gamble, that this item will be rigged well, textured well, and even made well. This is why I like seeing demos, it gives you a chance to determine if A you like it or B does it look good in world and is it rigged well.

6 minutes ago, Clarrellae said:

I think it is dishonourable to disregard fair and accurate reviews; that's terrible customer service.  Content creators who listen to fair and accurate reviews and change what's wrong with something do their customers a great service and make sure they get what they paid for.  It's good business sense.  I'd flag it too if I saw that in action, for sure.

I concur! And to be clear - if I leave anything less than four stars, I *always* contact the creator first for assistance, questions, etc. If I cannot get a response after a week (or the attitude, etc., is really negative) then I will leave my not-so-positive, but always fair review. I rarely see items with my reviews delisted/relisted - only once by a legitimate creator (which we have since turned amicable, albeit no so friendly) and scammer/rippers (you know the ones). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

I absolutely refuse to buy an item if they have no demo. I am not taking a gamble, that this item will be rigged well, textured well, and even made well. This is why I like seeing demos, it gives you a chance to determine if A you like it or B does it look good in world and is it rigged well.

Abso-f*ing-lutely! I have been seeing "Emporer's Clothes" on people lately! Now it's not only rigging and textures, now it's even LOD! I have more than once seen naked people and cam to within 20 meters and their clothes suddenly appear. Slow to Rez? NO, As soon as I cam back out their clothes go POOF! (!)(!)(!) Hahahahah

BUT< I'll bet if a review explaining this is made, that item will be delisted/relisted ASAP. 

Edited by Alyona Su

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

Abso-f*ing-lutely! I have been seeing "Emporer's Clothes" on people lately! Now it's not only rigging and textures, now it's even LOD! I have more than once seen naked people and cam to within 20 meters and their clothes suddenly appear. Slow to Rez? NO, As soon as I cam back out their clothes go POOF! (!)(!)(!) Hahahahah

BUT< I'll bet if a review explaining this is made, that item will be delisted/relisted ASAP. 

I love when people try to give some constructive feedback, and you see some of the reviews are honest and actually give them good feedback and suggestions on how to fix the errors they noticed. Then that person is getting attacked, as apparently nowadays, one must kiss a creators buttocks. If not, the rain of a thousand angry die hard fans will rain upon thee.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.