What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm part way through sorting out my "Unsorted" folder... I had ~120 boxes in there, mostly weekly sale stuff that would have only cost 50-75L, but built up over the course of 6 months or so. I've seen pretty much every kind of bad box imaginable.

• Boxes that have to be rezzed in order to be opened. Damn Luddites, it's no longer 2004. (Gacha items are the only exception.)
  • Boxes that unattach themselves when unpacked. I have a system, and this makes it harder.
  • Boxes that autosubscribe to a mailing spamlist when opened.
  • Boxes that take the form of a small attachment that still needs to be clicked to unpack the box.
  • Boxes that have a no-copy notecard or vendor ad inside for no justifiable reason, just to make the box no-copy.
  • Boxes that contain a bunch of subboxes for each colour; bonus points for the item itself only having the size and not the colour in the name.
  • Boxes that contain 3-4 useless notecards, such as "IMPORTANT: READ" which just says "right click -> add the ankle pose helper" and nothing else.
  • (I don't actually mind boxes that auto-unpack on attachment, but I can see why others do so adding it to the list.)

If your boxes do any of those things, that's a paddlin'.

Thats-a-paddlin.jpg

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

I'm part way through sorting out my "Unsorted" folder... I had ~120 boxes in there, mostly weekly sale stuff that would have only cost 50-75L, but built up over the course of 6 months or so. I've seen pretty much every kind of bad box imaginable.

• Boxes that have to be rezzed in order to be opened. Damn Luddites, it's no longer 2004. (Gacha items are the only exception.)
  • Boxes that unattach themselves when unpacked. I have a system, and this makes it harder.
  • Boxes that autosubscribe to a mailing spamlist when opened.
  • Boxes that take the form of a small attachment that still needs to be clicked to unpack the box.
  • Boxes that have a no-copy notecard or vendor ad inside for no justifiable reason, just to make the box no-copy.
  • Boxes that contain a bunch of subboxes for each colour; bonus points for the item itself only having the size and not the colour in the name.
  • Boxes that contain 3-4 useless notecards, such as "IMPORTANT: READ" which just says "right click -> add the ankle pose helper" and nothing else.
  • (I don't actually mind boxes that auto-unpack on attachment, but I can see why others do so adding it to the list.)

If your boxes do any of those things, that's a paddlin'.

Thats-a-paddlin.jpg

Another one, Boxes within boxes. Xstreet doesn't exist anymore, why do you need to create a boxception? Lol

53 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

Boxes that have to be rezzed in order to be opened.

You can easily edit the attached box and copy from the inventory window. Just saying. My pet-peeve would be the opposite, boxes with a die script when rezzed. Like you (and most people) I also have a system and that system requires rezzing then using the system "open" window where I manually drag the items I want to where I want them LOL

The one about auto-subscribing should be listed first and again every other line just to emphasize how utterly evil those are. 👺

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

You can easily edit the attached box and copy from the inventory window. Just saying. My pet-peeve would be the opposite, boxes with a die script when rezzed. Like you (and most people) I also have a system and that system requires rezzing then using the system "open" window where I manually drag the items I want to where I want them LOL

The one about auto-subscribing should be listed first and again every other line just to emphasize how utterly evil those are. 👺

In an ideal world, all boxes will be HUDs with a click-to-unpack script. Just seems like the ideal compromise, one that works for pretty much everyone.

So long as the unpacked box name starts with a letter and not a nonsense symbol... 🤢

6 minutes ago, AyelaNewLife said:

In an ideal world, all boxes will be HUDs with a click-to-unpack script. Just seems like the ideal compromise, one that works for pretty much everyone.

So long as the unpacked box name starts with a letter and not a nonsense symbol... 🤢

I rez the self-unpacking HUD and answer NO to animation and CANCEL the received folder dialog. Then commence to right-click, choose OPEN, and go about my merry way. :) I prefer complete and total control over my inventory and refuse to allow any script to dump anything in there. :) And as stated before: it's my system, just as you have your own system, and others will have theirs. For me the ideal world would be a simple box set to "open" on left-click. See how we all have different preferences? This is why the variety of methods is a good thing, I suppose. But a pet-peeve will alway be a pet-peeve to those who have them. LOL

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AyelaNewLife said:

my "Unsorted" folder... I had ~120 boxes in there

Mine? It has about 14 years worth of stuff in it to be sorted... Pretty much everything I had prior to coming back in Oct 2018. Eventually I'll get a round tuit and have it all neatly boxed and organized just in case I ever want those items again. Some are prims builds I intend to recreate with mesh.

With 58 pages, I've probably already listed this one, but just in case and since it got me twice today already:  Grabbing a demo, popping home to try it on, clicking the LM in the package to go back to the store to buy it, but ending up at an old location and a security orb boots you out before you can even finish reading the 'get out of here' message.

Someday, I will remember to just use my freakin TP history.

• Like 4

The edit window opening over the very object I've editing.  Yes, duh, you can push it to the side. But it keeps coming back! 

It's amazing how people don't believe this happens although I've put ample numbers of screenshots in the tech section. It's so perverse.

The only reason I can figure this goes on is because most creators work outside of SL and so they don't notice this, which humble prim wranglers do notice. And since they are a lobby that have LL's ear, they haven't mentioned it as an issue so nothing gets done.

Yet anyone merely placing furniture could be bothered by it.

• Haha 2

I don't like when people instantly message me the VERY second when i log in as if i logged in without any plans of my own just for them. Then I tell them and they still keep talking to me. I pretty much stopped going in SL because of this very reason.  It's fine if it's someone who is a new friend and doesn't know me too well and eventually I like to talk to people after I've done the things I wanted to do, but not that very second I log into SL and I hate when people know I dislike it and still continue to do it.  Then when I tell them I dislike it I get the "you just say that to me but you're probably talking to  your "real" friends" line.  If I use the offline feature i get in trouble too as if I committed some crime wanting privacy. As I said I almost never go into SL anymore over this and one  specific person doing this to me. 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

With 58 pages, I've probably already listed this one, but just in case and since it got me twice today already:  Grabbing a demo, popping home to try it on, clicking the LM in the package to go back to the store to buy it, but ending up at an old location and a security orb boots you out before you can even finish reading the 'get out of here' message.

Someday, I will remember to just use my freakin TP history.

I remember a performer at my club telling me something similar.  He went to play at one club he's been going to twice a month and one week it was gone and ended up in someone's bedroom. He also got ponged out by a security orb!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BloodDoll Lulu said:

I don't like when people instantly message me the VERY second when i log in as if i logged in without any plans of my own just for them. Then I tell them and they still keep talking to me. I pretty much stopped going in SL because of this very reason.  It's fine if it's someone who is a new friend and doesn't know me too well and eventually I like to talk to people after I've done the things I wanted to do, but not that very second I log into SL and I hate when people know I dislike it and still continue to do it.  Then when I tell them I dislike it I get the "you just say that to me but you're probably talking to  your "real" friends" line.  If I use the offline feature i get in trouble too as if I committed some crime wanting privacy. As I said I almost never go into SL anymore over this and one  specific person doing this to me. 

I had this same issue with a person who wanted to reconnect with me a little over a week ago. My viewer would barely have time to load in before he would message me, he was also one of those types that keeps his viewer online 24/7, even when he's sleeping or AFK for hours at a time. After about 2 days I deleted him. It honestly stresses me out and makes me dread logging in if i know I'm gonna get flooded by IMs from someone.

An ex partner if mine would do this too. I would literally check the SL site to see if he was online before I would log in, but it wouldn't be even 2 minutes later he would log in too, and it would happen every. Single. Time no matter when i logged in, I always imagined him just sitting there and spam clicking refresh till I popped online because I couldn't, and still can't figure out how else he woulda done it

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IvyLarae said:

I had this same issue with a person who wanted to reconnect with me a little over a week ago. My viewer would barely have time to load in before he would message me, he was also one of those types that keeps his viewer online 24/7, even when he's sleeping or AFK for hours at a time. After about 2 days I deleted him. It honestly stresses me out and makes me dread logging in if i know I'm gonna get flooded by IMs from someone.

An ex partner if mine would do this too. I would literally check the SL site to see if he was online before I would log in, but it wouldn't be even 2 minutes later he would log in too, and it would happen every. Single. Time no matter when i logged in, I always imagined him just sitting there and spam clicking refresh till I popped online because I couldn't, and still can't figure out how else he woulda done it

Call up an alt....... and enjoy stealth SL.

I think this one is the real kicker. So a shirt costs 250L, but something like say a tattoo or ring, costs the same amount. Like I really can't stand these price standards, think about it. 250L for everything you buy. Actually 75-250L is what things are worth. But I remember at one point in time, when people could set their own price range, and not have to feel like if they set this price range. They would be undercutting every other creator. I just don't understand, something that is way smaller or just a texture, should not cost the same as say a shirt or a pair of jeans. It also goes with things made in world, like shapes. Why charge such outlandish prices, which on average a premade shape from a shape store. Is anywhere between 399 and 499L. Why am I paying such a high mark up price? These price standards, and the prices put on certain things, is absolutely outlandish.

34 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

I think this one is the real kicker. So a shirt costs 250L, but something like say a tattoo or ring, costs the same amount. Like I really can't stand these price standards, think about it. 250L for everything you buy. Actually 75-250L is what things are worth. But I remember at one point in time, when people could set their own price range, and not have to feel like if they set this price range. They would be undercutting every other creator. I just don't understand, something that is way smaller or just a texture, should not cost the same as say a shirt or a pair of jeans. It also goes with things made in world, like shapes. Why charge such outlandish prices, which on average a premade shape from a shape store. Is anywhere between 399 and 499L. Why am I paying such a high mark up price? These price standards, and the prices put on certain things, is absolutely outlandish.

Well in general, you only buy a tattoo once, or rarely, as it's part of you no matter your outfit or style or mood for the day. Fashion though you buy all the time, and they sell all the time. So its not weird that a tattoo artist, with a product that sells much less frequent, charges more. They put in the same effort, and have to pay the same shop rent as the fashion designer who sells in bulk.

As with everything in SL (or RL) i buy, I judge if I want to spend the price for the porduct. Not comparing products with others. If I like a product enough that I want to pay the price, I buy it, if not, i don't. Most freebies I don't pick up because I don't like them, and there are also freebies I like better than some expensive designer stuff. Quality and value is personal (in my opinion)

57 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

Like I really can't stand these price standards, think about it. 250L for everything you buy.

19 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Well in general, you only buy a tattoo once, or rarely

Good point. Though I remember when the prevalent price for *everything* was L$10 to L$15. When someone charged L$20 it was WTF? That had better be darned high-quality!!! (Though skins were always up there, average was 800-1000L grrr)

Edited by Alyona Su

16 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Well in general, you only buy a tattoo once, or rarely, as it's part of you no matter your outfit or style or mood for the day. Fashion though you buy all the time, and they sell all the time. So its not weird that a tattoo artist, with a product that sells much less frequent, charges more. They put in the same effort, and have to pay the same shop rent as the fashion designer who sells in bulk.

As with everything in SL (or RL) i buy, I judge if I want to spend the price for the porduct. Not comparing products with others. If I like a product enough that I want to pay the price, I buy it, if not, i don't. Most freebies I don't pick up because I don't like them, and there are also freebies I like better than some expensive designer stuff. Quality and value is personal (in my opinion)

I'm not referring to that, I am more referring to these pricing standards within SL. Where every object, is between a certain price range. If you go under, you are undercutting the competition. If you go over, people don't buy from your store. That is what I am saying, generalized pricing standards that all creators must stick by. I too base everything on if I want it or not, or is it really worth that much. But again, it feels like there are untold regulations in that area.

1 minute ago, halebore Aeon said:

But again, it feels like there are untold regulations in that area.

Its probably more like: Oh, well if everyone sells there stuff for so much, why should I not either

And as long as we keep buying it, there's no reason for them to drop :)

What I would love to see is shops that put maybe their last few releases for prime amounts, and everything from the "old" collection lower price.

There's a nice returning event where designers put their normally expensive items in for below 100L$, can't think of the name right now though :/

4 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Good point. Though I remember when the prevalent price for *everything* was L$10 to L$15. When someone charged L$20 it was WTF? That had better be darned high-quality!!!

True. Party probably a declining playerbase (shrinking market) while their costs and effort stays the same causing somewhat natural price raises.

But also the fact that even if they raise, people just keep buying anyway. So why not raise (from a business owner point of view)

32 minutes ago, Zeta Vandyke said:

Its probably more like: Oh, well if everyone sells there stuff for so much, why should I not either

And as long as we keep buying it, there's no reason for them to drop :)

What I would love to see is shops that put maybe their last few releases for prime amounts, and everything from the "old" collection lower price.

There's a nice returning event where designers put their normally expensive items in for below 100L$, can't think of the name right now though :/

But think about it from an RL perspective, you have a choice to go with the Iphone or Samsung or any big company for that matter. For a high price. Or you could go with say the price of a smaller and unknown company, with a phone that works just as well. I do agree that older releases need to be cheaper. But to have a choice between 250, and say 150. I would go for something that costs 150 over the 250. As I want to save a few bucks, and have more for myself to spend. How everything is priced the same, you now have the choice of what brand you really like, as prices are all the same. That is what I was getting at, having that choice to choose Item A, which is cheaper and just as good as Item B which is more expensive.

3 minutes ago, halebore Aeon said:

But think about it from an RL perspective, you have a choice to go with the Iphone or Samsung or any big company for that matter. For a high price. Or you could go with say the price of a smaller and unknown company, with a phone that works just as well. I do agree that older releases need to be cheaper. But to have a choice between 250, and say 150. I would go for something that costs 150 over the 250. As I want to save a few bucks, and have more for myself to spend. How everything is priced the same, you now have the choice of what brand you really like, as prices are all the same. That is what I was getting at, having that choice to choose Item A, which is cheaper and just as good as Item B which is more expensive.

There's also a context to the item prices... If it's clothing of a similar style then comparing prices is prudent, the exception being the source where we have our favorites. For example< If I'm shopping for a particular style of dress, I know that I prefer the known-to-me consistency of the quality of Blueberry and GAS over Addams and and will tend to purchase accordingly; if Blueberry or GAS has it, I'll buy fro. them, if not I'll go with Addams over a brand I'm unfamiliar with.

In the case of non-standard stuff, say a gadget HUD, for example, then price is not the purchasing decision, its function is. In this case I will shop for the level of quality and ability I want. And this is where too many creators fall short: their ability to describe their product. So I compare based on that and will buy something costing twice or even three times as much if I get the impression its of higher quality even if it turns out the half-priced one is superior. (Which is why not having a demo is a creator showing themselves in the foot, no matter what the product is).

TL;DR: It's a full spectrum from black all the way to white and every shade in between. So in short: I agree: it's odd that there seems to be a standard range of pricing. It's because these are not business people, they don't know how to put the right value on their stuff so they go with the flow.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1414 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.