What are some of your pet peeves?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

That's fine, and they are beautiful.  Just don't pretend that they are reality.  They are something that can be created with Black Dragon or could be created by LL, if they wished to.  An alternate universe, perhaps.  😎

That makes it just as much real as any other Viewer. Anyone can use it, anyone can do it just like anyone can open preferences and enable/disable graphics features but just because not everyone enables them doesn't mean they are not there. Third Party Viewers are alternatives BECAUSE LL doesn't offer these, if i was in charge these things would be baseline.

The unwillingness of everyone (including LL) is the reason this hasnt happen yet.

On 12/24/2019 at 12:22 PM, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I gotta be honest, when I see a shirtless guy with a 24” prosthetic wiener sticking out of his pants in Wal-Mart, I start to get a little judgmentally

I have not seen that myself, but not sure that is actually comparable to what I said.  I was speaking of shapes. 

1 hour ago, Panteleeva said:

another of my fav creators stopped making outfits for slink bodies.(

I still keep going back to and love my Belleza Venus. Welcome to my world. But there are still thousands and thousands of stuff out there, so don't lose hope. Think of it as "Creator-Discovery Opportunity". I'm still finding great creators who (at least in the past) supported Venus and I'm loving their work.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Panteleeva said:

another of my fav creators stopped making outfits for slink bodies.(

Yeah, well, try finding wares for the male Slink body, which is by far the most technically advanced (of an otherwise sorry lot) but has been supplanted in many creators' offerings by that absurd "Legacy" contraption. But I've now taken to looking at it as an advantage: saves so much time and money, rezzing those creators' kiosks only just enough to know they support only the deficient alternatives.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Yeah, well, try finding wares for the male Slink body, which is by far the most technically advanced (of an otherwise sorry lot) but has been supplanted in many creators' offerings by that absurd "Legacy" contraption. But I've now taken to looking at it as an advantage: saves so much time and money, rezzing those creators' kiosks only just enough to know they support only the deficient alternatives.

This is what I don't get.

I understand, of course, that people want to express themselves and their own unique tastes, and there are people who simply love the Maitreya Lara. Fine.

But the Slink Physique is actually a really good body, especially now after the Redux update. It's low complexity, easy to use, has some interesting and useful new bells and whistles (like the asymmetry harness), and is absolutely no less attractive than a Lara.

And yet, it's being squeezed out of the market . . . mostly, I suspect, by content creators.

I'm not generally a conspiracy theorist, but something has to be going on here. The sheer number of clothing stores, some of them fairly major, who are now producing only for Maitreya, makes no sense otherwise. Is Maitreya cutting deals, or putting pressure on clothing makers, and using their huge market share, and access to their developer's kit as leverage?

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But the Slink Physique is actually a really good body, especially now after the Redux update. It's low complexity, easy to use, has some interesting and useful new bells and whistles (like the asymmetry harness), and is absolutely no less attractive than a Lara.

I agree. I have Lara as well as Slink Physique, but Slink has been my preferred body, and after Redux came out, I boxed up Lara and all the Lara specific stuff I had.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Is Maitreya cutting deals, or putting pressure on clothing makers, and using their huge market share, and access to their developer's kit as leverage?

You verbalize what many are thinking. We know it's very likely this is the case with the Legacy. Though, were I a creator of apparel, etc., I'm not so sure I'd go exclusively Maitreya because then I'd be only a water droplet in the Pacific Ocean. Discovery would be an important part of that and exclusively Maitreya whittles that option down a lot.

Some of those may think "Oh, but Legacy can wear Maitreya also" and that's true with the deformers. But I'll never buy another Maitreya outfit on my alt since switching to Legacy, I'll only buy Legacy-designed stuff.

I see it this way: there still are thousands of outfits for Venus and Slink and the others that have fallen out of favor with some creators and the truth is: creativity in designs are waning badly. PROTIP: Search MP for your body-compatible outfits, sort by Oldest First. Boom, lots oof great stuff there. And also, especially with BOM, lots of decent older system stuff to be had. Again, sort by oldest first, then skips ahead several pages (to skip past the really old stuff). And if there are demos, grab 'em. You'd be surprised at the quality of a lot of that older system-layer stuff.

I've had this and it's amazing with BOM - https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Solange-Elegance-Lingerie-Set-BLACK/485905 - all system layers (and it's no longer 600L LOL). And there's AviCandy as well. it all looks fantastic with BOM.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3

What I've noticed is that a lot of creators dropped even Slink Hourglass in favor of the Legacy. Which makes very little sense from a business perspective. All of these creators also sell all rigs in one box so they have no way of knowing that bodies people buy clothes for.

It's almost certain that legacy is paying them for that support, because I rarely if ever see people actually wearing it (anecdotal, sure, but I've never seen one in the wild...) but why drop a body you already know how to rig for and have a devkit for?

It's one of those mysteries of SL, with plenty of room for tinfoil hats and theories.

• Like 2

Anecdotal sample size 1, but FWIW: Yesterday I noticed one of my favorite (male) designers issued a new product that includes Slink again, after having gone over to the dark side for a few releases. I haven't worked up the courage to ask for details and future plans.

Our nascent conspiracy theory that one mesh body merchant is "buying" support from clothing and other creators: that would require that the recipient creators sign some non-disclosure agreement, right? Otherwise I think we'd know, not need to speculate about it. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is what I don't get.

I understand, of course, that people want to express themselves and their own unique tastes, and there are people who simply love the Maitreya Lara. Fine.

And yet, it's being squeezed out of the market . . . mostly, I suspect, by content creators.

I'm not generally a conspiracy theorist, but something has to be going on here. The sheer number of clothing stores, some of them fairly major, who are now producing only for Maitreya, makes no sense otherwise. Is Maitreya cutting deals, or putting pressure on clothing makers, and using their huge market share, and access to their developer's kit as leverage?

well to be honest, I think Siddean is brilliant but she's not good at explaining things.  I have a Slink body; it was the first one I bought. I hated how hard it was to figure out how to use it. I have a Beleeza body too.  I bought each one as they came out.  Slink because it was first out. Beleeza was next and I bought one of theirs because I loved their skins. Turns out I didn't like their body as much as I liked their skins. It was easier than Slink though. Maitreya came out and I was so relieved, finally i had a body I liked that was easy to use. I stopped buying bodies at that point.

Now I know nothing about the inside scoop of the big SL fashion designers, but I do think that Maitreya is popular because it's easy to use. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but Maitreya was not particularly easy for creators to create for, at least in the beginning, because they wouldn't share the details of their rigging or something that made it harder to make the clothes for them. Maybe that has changed. Like I said, I'm not a fashion insider.

• Like 1

Today's pet peeve would be people that create posts that do not use any punctuation at all, such that we end up with many lines of writing that take too much scrutiny to figure out where the actual sentences are.   While my posts do sometimes veer from full proper writing, I do at least try to put some sort of sentence or phrase breaks in my ramblings.

• Like 7

Just now, LittleMe Jewell said:

Today's pet peeve would be people that create posts that do not use any punctuation at all, such that we end up with many lines of writing that take too much scrutiny to figure out where the actual sentences are.   While my posts do sometimes veer from full proper writing, I do at least try to put some sort of sentence or phrase breaks in my ramblings.

Same here. Using the conventions of writing simply shows respect for your audience. If you want something to be read, make it clear to readers. 

• Like 4

I am peeved that I never had the opportunity to give E.E. Cummings a tight trollopy danskin-topped hug.

"In his poems, he didn't use punctuation or capitalization.  Capitals were used only for special emphasis.  Punctuation marks were used only for a shock effect.  He was also noted for the use of the lowercase letter "i" in his poems.  E.E. Cummings was well known for his scrambled words and array of hidden messages. To unlock his messages that are hidden behind his brilliant use of figurative language, you must carefully read between the lines of his poetry.  All of his work is brilliant, and different from any other poet.  E.E. Cummings taok the meaning of the word rational to a whole new level.  His work looks like random words and phrases thrown together, and the reader must stop and think beyond the written text.  E.E. Cummings was a different breed of poet.  He used his unconventional, yet brilliant style to send a message to the reader.  In his work, E.E. Cummings didn't use capital letters, proper punctuation, or proper grammar.  He used this to his advantage in mixing the message into the poem. He deliberatley confused the reader by having them follow the winding paths of words he had created because he felt that a straight one would narrow the reader's mind. He was especially popular among young readers."

http://english11poets.pbworks.com/w/page/19005388/ee cummings

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Desiree Moonwinder said:

I am peeved that I never had the opportunity to give E.E. Cummings a tight trollopy danskin-topped hug.

"In his poems, he didn't use punctuation or capitalization.  Capitals were used only for special emphasis.  Punctuation marks were used only for a shock effect.  He was also noted for the use of the lowercase letter "i" in his poems.  E.E. Cummings was well known for his scrambled words and array of hidden messages. To unlock his messages that are hidden behind his brilliant use of figurative language, you must carefully read between the lines of his poetry.  All of his work is brilliant, and different from any other poet.  E.E. Cummings taok the meaning of the word rational to a whole new level.  His work looks like random words and phrases thrown together, and the reader must stop and think beyond the written text.  E.E. Cummings was a different breed of poet.  He used his unconventional, yet brilliant style to send a message to the reader.  In his work, E.E. Cummings didn't use capital letters, proper punctuation, or proper grammar.  He used this to his advantage in mixing the message into the poem. He deliberatley confused the reader by having them follow the winding paths of words he had created because he felt that a straight one would narrow the reader's mind. He was especially popular among young readers."

http://english11poets.pbworks.com/w/page/19005388/ee cummings

Cormac McCarthy does not use apostrophes or quotation marks, as well as other conventions, in his brilliant Pulitzer winning The Road. Like Cummings, he uses space to clarify meaning.

That’s not the same as being  too lazy to make your writing clear.

• Like 1

Yesterday for only the third time in my SL, I encountered extreme rudeness from a sim owner. I asked this individual if I could ask a question, being aware that they might not have time, and I got  a curt, short and rude response. So that sim is now number three on my blacklist. 

I don't stand for rudeness in RL, and I'm certainly not taking it here in world.

There, I feel better now. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

I don't stand for rudeness in RL, and I'm certainly not taking it here in world.

I agree. I find that I can sometimes fight down my own reaction to rudeness by reflecting that the other person may have a relative in the hospital or a spouse who has run off with his best friend (and the pickup truck and the dog).  It doesn't always work, but it reminds me that I'm not the only one with things to complain about.

• Like 4

On 12/30/2019 at 3:08 PM, BelindaN said:

Yesterday for only the third time in my SL, I encountered extreme rudeness from a sim owner. I asked this individual if I could ask a question, being aware that they might not have time, and I got  a curt, short and rude response. So that sim is now number three on my blacklist. 

There, I feel better now. 

I concur. There is zero excuse for that. Though, were I the one you were asking, my typical response to "Can I ask you a question?" is usually "You just did, want to ask another?" LOL

1 hour ago, Cinos Field said:

Items not detaching immediately when I click detach. God! Get off my body, demo! I want to try the next one already! AGHGH

This is truly the pettiest of pet peeves.

I have been experiencing this also! Though it only seems to have been in the last week or so, I'm not sure.

Another thing that has been annoying me for the last week or so is the apparent loss of communication between my CTS Wardrobe HUD and the web site; I click to put on (or remove) an item that usually includes two or more parts. One or two parts go on or off then the web site says (paraphrased) "Error: Cannot communicate with your HUD, attach or reset your HUD" And I'm thinking WTF? LOL Then I click it again and the rest go on or off.

I am wondering if it has to do with the system change where scripts randomly wait two seconds to execute (or whatever that is, I'm not a techno-nerd to understand it all.)

And this one is definitely a PEEVE, though it only happened once: I put on a system layer outfit (Bakes on Mesh) and It goes on and I'm all happy about it. Then the other person who's there says "Ummm, I don't see it, you're naked." [!] So I log my alt in on LL viewer and lo-and-behold! I'm >NAKED<. LOL Buttt, on my local viewer I see the outfit just fine.

So I try another outfit... same thing. Force "Rebake Textures"... no change. I went through a half dozen BOM outfits to no avail. Until I dig up an old outfit from 2006... then I finally see the gray-that-turns-into-texture. Now All can see it. Then I put on the original outfit that never showed... and now it works. I *Suspect* the region just wasn't rebaking textures for some reason (though it showed my system skin, so...)

But now I have this sneaking fear always in the back of my mind that I see my BOM outfit, but to everyone else I may be >NAKED< LOL THAT is the peeve (the uncertainty). Hahahaha.

Edited by Alyona Su

On 12/29/2019 at 11:17 AM, Pamela Galli said:
On 12/29/2019 at 11:14 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Same here. Using the conventions of writing simply shows respect for your audience. If you want something to be read, make it clear to readers. 

It's a pet peeve of mine too, and I experience that kind of writing as almost an insult...as if they aren't concerned with anybody but themselves and just want to emit their crud almost like vomit..lol.   In some cases this is probably true, but I'm wondering if some people don't have the ability to be objective...to jump outside their perspective and make a guess as to how others might perceive their comments.

Am I being too lenient with believing some might lack an important ability? Or am I harsh to expect more?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's a pet peeve of mine too, and I experience that kind of writing as almost an insult...as if they aren't concerned with anybody but themselves and just want to emit their crud almost like vomit..lol.   In some cases this is probably true, but I'm wondering if some people don't have the ability to be objective...to jump outside their perspective and make a guess as to how others might perceive their comments.

Am I being too lenient with believing some might lack an important ability? Or am I harsh to expect more?

I taught both elementary and high school writing. The vast majority of people don’t use conventions because they don’t value what they have written and don’t really expect anyone to read. OTOH, when they have worked for weeks on a story, they want it read. When I hold up their unpunctuated wall of text and ask them if they would want to read it, the look on their face says it all: no way.  

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Not necessarily too lenient, but .....

I think much of it comes from the culture of writing via the phone, using social media apps that often restrict characters.  Some of the social media apps these days seem to consists of entirely a bunch of run-on random thoughts - which also adds to the problem.  Folks just get in the habit of typing that way and the result is what we sometimes see here.

While it might be harsh to expect more, I'm going to do it anyway.

• Like 3

On 12/29/2019 at 11:14 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Historically, punctuation is a fairly recent addition to the writing toolkit, and the "rules" for using it are less standardized than, say, rules for spelling. For some writers, that leads to confusion and a sense that the rules don't matter. However, a writer who learns to use punctuation consistently and pays attention to common conventions is much more likely to create effective word pictures than one who ignores them. Readers are more likely to understand them, rather than being lost in the weeds. It is also true, of course, that a good writer, knowing the "rules", can know when to flaunt them, just as she plays with double meanings and unexpected allusions to jar readers in fresh directions. Consider David Mitchell's Cloud Atlas or much of e e cummings' poetry as examples of how effective "unconventional" writing can be. Flaunting the rules effectively, though, means doing it purposefully rather than accidentally.  Clumsy punctuation can make good writing fall flat, the same way that an awkward pun or an insensitive innuendo can. This is true whether the writing is in a formal article or in a relaxed forum post.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.